Apple's new Maps for iOS 6 features navigation, crowd-sourced traffic

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They don't specify that on their website. My question stands until they fix that.

I dont think its very confusing. People with wfi ipads aren't going to wonder why turn by turn doesn't work for them in thier cars.

• Reply 42 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Anyone know if the IOS6 beta has mapping for europe? I was gonna buy tom tom this week for a trip to Switzerland, but this might just save me a few £'s

I would think so since it appears to be using TomTom on the backend. There was no way Apple could have included good turn-by-turn with a couple years of effort. NasserAE has discovered in the iOS 6 Maps credits that they mention TomTom so that tells me that TomTom is specifically for the navigation.
  • Reply 43 of 64

good feature for  Apple Maps

• Reply 44 of 64
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I wish they'd shown what the 3D map looks like at street level. 

The thing that will go away if we switch to Apple's solution from Google's is street view and if the 3D map can't replace it that's a serious deficit.  

Street view is extremely popular and very, very, useful.  All the other features are either replicated or one-upped in Apple's solution but street view is still an unknown or possibly missing entirely.  

Streetview is awesome, it shows the alley running behind my fathers house, too bad it doesn't show the street for some reason, my house shows a different road with some vacant land where my house is.

Streetview isn't that crash hot, the old paper street directories didn't have pictures of houses and people managed.

• Reply 45 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That isn't even close to the same thing.  

Why do you always have to come back with a snappy negative response even when you got nothing?  

Why not just shrug and move on?  

Why do you always whine about the negatives of Apple products?

Streetview isn't essential, you can find where you are going without it and it's probably still available in Google earth for those too illiterate to read a map.

Google can kiss goodbye to 700 million eyeballs.

• Reply 46 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post

It would seem that IF they can do that, they would have shown it, clearly it's something a lot of folks actually use.

Like a lot of people used Flash, clearly.

• Reply 47 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why do you always whine about the negatives of Apple products?

Streetview isn't essential, you can find where you are going without it and it's probably still available in Google earth for those too illiterate to read a map.

Google can kiss goodbye to 700 million eyeballs.

700 Million?

• Reply 48 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

I dont think its very confusing. People with wfi ipads aren't going to wonder why turn by turn doesn't work for them in thier cars.

It works when you tether to an iPhone 4

• Reply 49 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

700 Million?

350 million iOS users, maybe take some off for one eyed users.

Off course, judging by some of the comments here 350 million users will not be able to live without street view improving their lives.

• Reply 50 of 64
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Has anyone been able to confirm if the new Maps for iOS 6 will support navigation directions for pedestrian, cycling, and public transportation? This was a huge benefit of Google Maps, especially when on vacation without a rental vehicle. From initial analysis, this seems to be a very 'watered-down' version of Google Maps.

• Reply 51 of 64
    hill60 wrote: »

Off course, judging by some of the comments here 350 million users will not be able to live without street view improving their lives.

I think the number of active users more closely reasmbles the # of iCloud users rather than total devices sold.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    The acknowledgements in the new Maps app: http://gspsa21.ls.apple.com/html/attribution.html
  • Reply 53 of 64
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    mstone wrote: »
    Yes I used that feature quite a bit too. If I'm running late I really need to know the bus schedule. Looking on the bright side, Apple can't logically ban Google Maps due to replicating core iOS functionality now can they?

Wait. I thought Google Maps was an Apple made application using Google Api's?
  • Reply 54 of 64
    bigdaddyp wrote: »
    Wait. I thought Google Maps was an Apple made application using Google Api's?

On iOS the maps app was simply called Maps and you point out it uses Apple's front end with Google's back end. He's talking about a complete Google's map app for the front and backend.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The acknowledgements in the new Maps app: http://gspsa21.ls.apple.com/html/attribution.html

That is actually great news. The TomTom app I use on the iPad has been a superior solution to the dedicated stand alone Gps units my employer provides. Antidotally, out of the three or four brands we use, Garmin is the worst. Worst describing performance, glitches etc, not features or ease of use.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

They can still fire off the browser and type in maps.google.com. They can even make it look like an app by saving a link to a button on the iPhone. Address book will default to apple map so they will lose some eye.

• Reply 57 of 64
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes I used that feature quite a bit too. If I'm running late I really need to know the bus schedule. Looking on the bright side, Apple can't logically ban Google Maps due to replicating core iOS functionality now can they?

Better download Google Earth just in case. Maybe Google Lattitude too for replicating find my friends.

• Reply 58 of 64
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Street View really doesn't do anything for me other than let me look at the front of my house just to see when they took it last.  I don't think I've used used it as anything other than a novelty since the straight down satellite view is more than enough to determine just about anything.

Also, does anyone know if they are going to put the turn-by-turn onto the 3Gs and the 4 or is that going to be a 4s kind of thing since it involves Siri?

I agree. It is a novelty for me s well. 

• Reply 59 of 64
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

With TomTom building a competitor to Streetview, hopefully that will end up on Maps.

The thing that strikes me though is why bother switching until they developed their own database.  It strikes me as strange to ditch Google for TomTom.  Wasn't the whole point to be fully independent?

• Reply 60 of 64
    jetz wrote: »
    With TomTom building a competitor to Streetview, hopefully that will end up on Maps.

The thing that strikes me though is why bother switching until they developed their own database.  It strikes me as strange to ditch Google for TomTom.  Wasn't the whole point to be fully independent?

Independent of Google and their increased fees doesn't mean independent of all other mapping companies. Plus, it appears it's the included turn-by-turn that Apple is licensing, which was not something Apple had with Google as their Maps back end.

On top of that Apple has never been nor never will be an independent company. They will always contract with other companies for services and products that simply can't or won't do.