First look at Apple's 'next generation MacBook Pro' with photos

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

God bless them for including HDMI out. That is really a big deal for a lot of people and makes it even more attractive than it already is. 

• Reply 42 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Is it my imagination, or is the 17 inch MBP missing from the Apple website?

I couldn't find it.  Is it discontinued?

17 inch  RIP

• Reply 43 of 81
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member

The RAM isn't user upgradeable, is it?

• Reply 44 of 81
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yikes.

I'm a computer technician.  It's really nice that someone who bought a Mac laptop 4 years ago with 1 GB of RAM and Leopard can jack it up to 4 GB of RAM and run Lion acceptably well.  Without that upgrade, no dice.  So you can certainly imagine someone buying a basic configuration today, and in 5 years wanting to take advantage of that vaunted Apple longevity by upgrading the RAM and installing Mac OS 10.11 Pussy Cat.  No longer possible.  Not cool.  And not for nerds only.  What a ridiculous comment.

Now if they would just stop hijacking the battery life.  Lion kept telling me my battery was failing on my 2008 MBP (last one before the unibody) and it wasn't charging, but after reinstalling Snow Leopard, my battery magically fixed itself!

• Reply 45 of 81
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member

Well, the hard drive probably is upgradeable, though not easily.  The Airs have upgradeable HD, just not RAM.

• Reply 46 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufwork View Post

Well, the hard drive probably is upgradeable, though not easily.  The Airs have upgradeable HD, just not RAM.

Looks like the retina Pro has an HDD card with a different shape, so it'll be a while before third party replacements are available.

• Reply 47 of 81
    Do you guys think they will come out with a 13" inch new MacBook pro retina?
  • Reply 48 of 81
  • Reply 49 of 81
    noelosnoelos Posts: 126member

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, but is there a Kensington Lock slot or equivalent hidden on there somewhere? I work in an open-plan office and wouldn't trust the security much. Assuming, I spec up a $4,000 laptop, I would like to be able to prevent people casually swiping it. It would be horrible to not be able to upgrade because of this omission.

• Reply 50 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Historically, the apple routers are the most worthless apple products you can buy, with the exception of their OLD airport express which you could use as a repeater and audio out from your computer.
    Their routers can be used to expand a network, have built in file and print server options, dual-band, and triple-channels, and data throughput that other vendors still can't match for the reliability and cost.

I was a little surprised they didn't go for 802.11ac as they are usually ahead on top of new standards,e specially when they are so well done as 802.11ac, but that and the fact the new AirPort Express is now less travelable are the only real concerns I see.

Marvin wrote: »
    They repurposed the DVD eject button as the power button, which I like:
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-next-generation-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-hands-on/
    Some might accidentally force shut down their computer but it's a cleaner layout that way.
    Not being able to upgrade RAM or SSD after buying isn't too good. If you find the 8GB RAM isn't enough, you have to get a new machine and you won't benefit from SSD prices dropping. It had to come eventually I guess and Apple can make it more reliable this way but if your laptop dies, there's no way to get your data off your machine.
    1) When they first added the Eject button they quickly updated those systems so that it requires a more deliberate press than simply slipping when going for the Delete key. I assume that has carried over and then some with it being a Power button.

2) The upgrade to 16GB RAM is only $200. I did notice on their store that if you go for the 16GB RAM it's 3-5 days but if you stick with the basic 8GB RAM it's 5-7 days. I wonder if that's because they anticipated more will go for the up sell or that I simply failed to check it before many of the base units were already purchased.
  • Reply 51 of 81
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anon7979 View Post

For those crowing about the Mac Pro mini-"upgrade", how can you possibly be surprised by this? Apple has for years cultivated a closed marketplace platform called the "App Store". They even have it available for, get this, OS X now. And... check this out... every product that's gotten refreshed this year? Doesn't even come with a DVD drive. Mmm hmm... now you see where things are headed?

Optical disks are more and more becoming redundant. Literally. Given the volume of applications being delivered on line, rather than on optical disk, most people rarely, if ever, need an optical drive for updates or initial installs, and Apple is acknowledging this change.

And yet, for all the models you noted, an accessory DVD drive is available. For those who might want one. To share between multiple devices and users, for that matter.

• Reply 52 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Palomino View Post

Absolutely. I imagine they did not only because they are having trouble with its manufacturing. 

• Reply 53 of 81
    erioerio Posts: 28member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Is it my imagination, or is the 17 inch MBP missing from the Apple website?

I couldn't find it.  Is it discontinued?

Still there - under refurbished.

• Reply 54 of 81
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Can't believe they've gone back to a T connector for magsafe. Hope they've figured out how to prevent it from failing.

Yeah, what's up with that? The parallel connector was a good improvement, now they go back. 

I still had the parallel one fail as well. Apple basically needs to step up and add another mm of insulation to these cords and thinness be damned.

• Reply 55 of 81
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely. I imagine they did not only because they are having trouble with its manufacturing. 

Agreed. It might not be manufacturing difficulties, though. It could be manufacturing volume. I'm sure the 13" machines ship many more units than the 15" models.

• Reply 56 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Agreed. It might not be manufacturing difficulties, though. It could be manufacturing volume. I'm sure the 13" machines ship many more units than the 15" models.

When the 17" got the unibody design (or, rather, when it didn't and the 13" and 15" were announced with it), Apple (it was Steve himself, right?) outright said that they would have a 17" coming along shortly once they got the kinks worked out.

They still updated the old design with new specs, and that lasted for… four (two?) months, so I see the 13" and 15" in the old case as an example of JUST that, nothing more: giving people who feel they need a physical Ethernet/FireWire 400/ODD (ell oh ell) the opportunity to scoop one up while the getting is good.

I think that once a 13" newnibody (hey, can we call them that? They're both unibodies and we need to differentiate. I know it sounds stupid; that's why I like it image) comes out, the two old designs will be dropped and, you know, they might kick the 15" retina down to the prices of the old unibody 15".

Watch me be right about that. Apple likes to use early adopters to subsidize the price of later models.

• Reply 57 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    chabig wrote: »
    Or an inability to keep it as thin as the 15" while having a large enough battery to maintain the same duration as the current 13" MBP. Or because they want to focus on the 15" for now as they up sell the early adopters. Or because to make it viable they will also need to only offer the special SSD card which could make the cost difference as a percentage too high for right now.

There are lots of possibilities with this new display.
  • Reply 58 of 81
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noelos View Post

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, but is there a Kensington Lock slot or equivalent hidden on there somewhere? I work in an open-plan office and wouldn't trust the security much. Assuming, I spec up a $4,000 laptop, I would like to be able to prevent people casually swiping it. It would be horrible to not be able to upgrade because of this omission.

Wait for the Thunderbolt/Kensington Lock Slot Adapter dongle. :D

• Reply 59 of 81
    onglongl Posts: 4member

Pricey.... The second option on 512GB flash similar to the price of first top-line 15" unibody back in 2008. 3k USD

• Reply 60 of 81
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

t's such a shame. Apple is going to proprietary storage drive designs and are going to gouge the living shit out of new and repeat customers. I like the fact that they are going the SSD route, but it really pisses me off that they can't give their customers a reach around and have a standard SSD design that you can upgrade/replace without getting royally fucked over by them. I have a 256gb SSD and a 1tb drive in my 17 inch MBP right now, and the prices they want for even the lower end of what I'd consider useable are astronomical. Hopefully someone like OWC will get their hands on this thing and start shipping upgrades that have semi-sane prices. I'm excited for the new line, but those port numbers are skimpy. I like having 3 usb ports and only one Thunderbolt. It's overkill to have 2 Thunderbolt ports and HDMI. There's no real need for that HDMI port when you can chuck in another USB port in it's place, adapters for MiniDP to HDMI are dirt cheap. Having two Thunderbolt ports is stupidly redundant and there's nothing out there in the consumer market that uses that port and isn't criminally overpriced. I think this design is great, but the port offerings are a huge mistake brought on by the arrogance Apple usually has. Unless Thunderbolt takes of like a rocket in the next 12 months, it'll rot on the vine like FireWire has (in the mom and pop consumer market, not the pro market). Looks like I'll keep this 17 inch for a very long time if they don't drop the bomb and blow everyone away with a super awesome upgrade for it sometime in the next few months. Shame too because this MBP is the best computer I've ever owned. It does everything I need for my daily life in OS X, and every game I like playing runs better than I expected in Windows 7. I enjoy the hell out of this machine, I really hope they haven't killed the 17 inch MBP because I was looking forward to upgrading in the future.