Apple exec suggests new iMacs may not come till 2013

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An Apple executive has reportedly indicated that redesigned iMac and Mac Pro models are in the works and might not arrive until next year.

Apple on Monday showed off new versions of its MacBook line of computers, including updates to the MacBook Air, the MacBook Pro and a new next-generation 15-inch MacBook Pro with a Retina Display, at the Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco. Updates to Apple's desktop computers were noticeably absent from the event.

However, The New York Times' David Pogue reported on Monday that an Apple executive had suggested new iMacs and Mac Pros might not arrive until 2013.

"Many Apple observers also wonder if Apple thinks that desktop computers are dead, since not a word was said about the iMac and Mac Pro," he wrote. "An executive did assure me, however, that new models and new designs are under way, probably for release in 2013."

iMac 1

AppleInsider contacted Apple for comment about the alleged remarks, but the company did not immediately respond.

Though the Mac maker did quietly update the Mac Pro on Monday, it did so with a two-year-old processor, rather than the Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 chip that some had been expecting. Blogger and developer Marco Arment called the update "half-assed," noting that Apple appeared to have sent the message that it "doesn't give a sh*t about the Mac Pro."

In the weeks leading up to WWDC, multiple sources had appeared to suggest that Apple would release a redesigned iMac. For instance, Geekbench benchmarks for an unreleased iMac model, known as iMac13,2, were spotted online last month. Apple last updated the iMac in May 2011, adding the Thunderbolt port and a FaceTime HD camera.

As portables have become an increasing part of Apple's Mac sales, many observers have expressed fears that Mac desktops would fall by the wayside. Those concerns have been further exacerbated by the fact that the bulk of Apple's revenue now comes from iOS, especially the iPhone. Apple did hold a "Back to the Mac" event in 2010 to reemphasize its focus on OS X and the Mac, but the event was largely centered around a new MacBook Air that drew inspiration from the iPad and iOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 169
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Like fun they won't.

• Reply 2 of 169
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member

You know what else makes it look like Apple doesn't care about the pro line anymore? The industrial design. The "cheese grater" case has been around how long now? Almost exactly nine years, with the introduction of the PowerMac G5. Apple has never kept any design for any other computer around that long. It's not like it's a great design, either. Bulky, with those curved handles. Ridiculously heavy thanks to the heavy gauge aluminum. And to my eyes, butt ugly. Sure is less elegant than the simple and sleek Quicksilver (but similarly bulky) PowerMac G4. Granted, the internals are very neatly laid out and getting to them is easier than with PC towers. But to be absolutely honest, a very dated design.

• Reply 3 of 169
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    kolchak wrote: »
    You know what else makes it look like Apple doesn't care about the pro line anymore? The industrial design. The "cheese grater" case has been around how long now? Almost exactly nine years, with the introduction of the PowerMac G5. Apple has never kept any design for any other computer around that long. It's not like it's a great design, either. Bulky, with those curved handles. Ridiculously heavy thanks to the heavy gauge aluminum. And to my eyes, butt ugly. Sure is less elegant than the simple and sleek Quicksilver (but similarly bulky) PowerMac G4. Granted, the internals are very neatly laid out and getting to them is easier than with PC towers. But to be absolutely honest, a very dated design.

Not really.
  • Reply 4 of 169
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

This is an insult to all professional Mac users out there. Content creators: video editor, photographers, graphics designers, book publishers, creative houses... require massive amount of computing power and expandability. Investments in the Apple platform is not cheap and yet Apple feel it's fit to leave them completely in the dark. Even a word about when they will release a new Mac Pro will be reassuring. I've sunk nearly $20K into Apple products for my studio, and literally put my credit card on the table, begging Apple to take it and giving me a new Mac Pro in return. No, it din't happen. They even dare to charge the same price for 2 year old computer!!! They came out with a new version of Aperture with more "auto" features, instead of the Aperture 4 for the pro photographers to compete with Lightroom. Can they be more polite, more gentle and only kick my ass one at a time please?

I don't fucking need a new design, just give me the same Mac Pro, with 2012 CPUs, Thunderbolt, etc. the stuffs they have for even a machine at half the price (or a quarter of the price at my specs).

I envision a day when most contents viewable on iPad comes with the tag line: "Proudly made on a PC running Windows XX". The day of "Made on a Mac" is almost over. I fear it, but Apple has the cards to play. Focus on sales figures, profit margin, market share, popularity, etc... is the typical mindset of a company runs by a bunch of MBAs, not the daring, bold Apple I've known and loved.

• Reply 5 of 169
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Kolchak, I disagree. It's a classic design and it still works. Looks great with Apple's latest display. To the extent you can see it that is ... The Pro tends to live in the shadows, under desks and on the floor. Apple knows this, why mess around then with a design that works and generally remains hidden most of its life.

I do agree however, that the fact they havent updated it in 10 years means, they care much less about it than any other product they sell. After all, we're talking about Steve Jobs, the man who wanted to chrome plate the inside of the Apple II.
  • Reply 6 of 169
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Don't see anything wrong with the current design. It's Bahaus-inspired, minimalist style, but I rest my case here... Aesthetics is a matter of personal taste.

I absolutely love the internal layout of the Mac Pro though, everything is just so easy to get to, and not a single cable to be easily seen. It reminds me of Steve Jobs "art is also the unseen part" motto. If anything, he would have loved this design so much.

• Reply 7 of 169
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Maybe a major update is coming next year, but I doubt they won't update the iMac until then. They can still integrate the Ivy Bridge chips into this design. 

• Reply 8 of 169

Quote:

It's not like it's a great design, either

It's a spectacular design and in no way dated. The Mac Pro very probably has the best airflow of any computer of its class (or any other). I'm interested in seeing what else they could do with it, of course, but it can hardly be used as an explanation for why they don't care about the Mac Pro.

• Reply 9 of 169
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member

The design is nice but it's too big for 2012

• Reply 10 of 169
    huntsonhuntson Posts: 90member

Simply not true.  it sucks to be gay

• Reply 11 of 169
    huntsonhuntson Posts: 90member

I have sunk almost $1 mil into it - how do you think I feel?

• Reply 12 of 169
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

You know what else makes it look like Apple doesn't care about the pro line anymore? The industrial design. The "cheese grater" case has been around how long now? 

Most Pros I know don't really care about the appearance of the Mac Pro. It's a workhorse machine. It doesn't need to be pretty, it needs to be strong. 

that said, they wouldn't mind if it was smaller or could be mounted in a server rack. Even if it still looks like a cheese grater in a rack. 

• Reply 13 of 169
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Maybe a major update is coming next year, but I doubt they won't update the iMac until then. They can still integrate the Ivy Bridge chips into this design. 

I think that the iMacs will very possibly get a silent update in the near future. They wanted to start with the notebooks because that's what the college kids typically get and it was hitting the typical time for them to launch their Back to School promo (which they also did today). 

So in a month or two the iMacs hit the system. 

As for the Mac Pros, I suspect they are working on a new footprint and working on new Cinema Displays and are looking to launch both at the same time. And for all we know Pogue's executive is nil. The man has become a paid shill that hit whores like a gossip blogger quite often. Supposedly someone emailed Tim Cook and got a reply also suggesting next year but for all we know that could have been a typo or Tim over suggesting in order to not have any tales of 'delay' which would happen if he said in the fall and it didn't happen because of hard drive shortages or such. 

• Reply 14 of 169
    26chrisr26chrisr Posts: 12member

To be perfectly honest, anyone buying a iMac today is being ripped off by Apple PERIOD.

Since the May 2011 iMac appeared, the cost of its components have dropped substantially, particularly the CPU, RAM, GPU and LCD panel - given the Apple premium is already 30% on all their  desktops at launch, that means today anyone one purchasing the iMac is giving 50% of the price to Apple directly in profit.

The company has no excuses, its a blatant rip-off and the fools purchasing 18 month old technology don't have much of a clue - they are but shinny toys to go with their iOS toys.

All desktop users are asking for - that's those of us who making both a living and enjoy leisure time on their Mac's - is a slight revision of the existing product and not a new Steve Ive inspired re-design.

Surely, it is not too difficult to make the leap to Ivy Bridge and a new GPU - perhaps with additional RAM and larger HDD in top end model.

Judging by the Mac Pro revision, it appears Apple are giving us the finger - God I wish I'd not sold by iMac BTO 27in i7 now, I'm still using the other one I own, but without a refresh, I'm tempted to do a Hackintosh and utilise latest top end Sandy Bridge i7K's - with the money I save, I can then easily afford a Dell 27in monitor or Apple TB LCD - Aesthetics are one thing, exploitation is another, and Apple are now exploiting the Sheople and becoming more and more a business focused on the elite, rather than your average consumer. 

• Reply 15 of 169
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

The design is nice but it's too big for 2012

Air flow is just as important now as it was when the original Mac Pro came out. edit: I see Tallest Skil mentioned this as well.

I reckon iMacs will be out sometime after ML is released.

• Reply 16 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26Chrisr View Post

To be perfectly honest, anyone buying a iMac today is being ripped off by Apple PERIOD.

Just like anyone buying from any company right before the new model of whatever-it-is comes out is, yes. Unless, of course, they don't care and are happy with what they're getting for their money.

Quote:

Since the May 2011 iMac appeared, the cost of its components have dropped substantially, particularly the CPU, RAM, GPU and LCD panel - given the Apple premium is already 30% on all their  desktops at launch, that means today anyone one purchasing the iMac is giving 50% of the price to Apple directly in profit.

{citation needed}

Quote:

The company has no excuses, its a blatant rip-off and the fools purchasing 18 month old technology don't have much of a clue - they are but shinny toys to go with their iOS toys.

{citation needed} image

The rest is just blah blah, FUD, blah blah, wrong, etc.

• Reply 17 of 169
    rrobrrrobr Posts: 28member

I've always liked the case design. Elegant, solid, great expansion capabilities. Sharp handles? Yes. And in the six years I've had mine, I've had to pick up and move it twice. Neither time resulted in the need for Band-Aids.

• Reply 18 of 169
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This sucks in so many ways.

[LIST=1]
    [*] They didn't even mention the Mini here, the Mini being a machine that could greatly benefit from Ivy Bridge.
    [*] While there is admittedly little to be gained from the Ivy Bridge CPU on an iMac, a little bit of power savings goes a long way. The idea of having that OpenCL support there was also appealing.
    [*] Might as well wait for Haswell.
    [*] The Mac Pro hasn't even been touched in like three years, so how long does it take Apple to design a new machine now a days.
    [*] What is the excuse for the pathetic non upgrade of the GPU? Let say the current processors make sense on some level, whatever that excuse is it doesn't work with the GPU card which is ancient.
    [/LIST]

I suppose I could go on but reality is this, I'm about to fall asleep. So maybe I'm not coherent. Todays desktop lineup defines fail.
  • Reply 19 of 169
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    If Apple doesn't want to make a Mac Pro then perhaps they should license OSX to Pro Max or Pystar under the condition that they only sell models costing $10k +. I would certainly spend that much for a full blown Hckintosh if it worked perfectly with audio, Ethernet and FireWire. There is at least one blog post that says a dual Xeon Sandy Bridge can be hackintoshed with a Supermicro board with the exception of FW as the audio and Ethernet issues can be resolved with USB conversion adapters.
  • Reply 19 of 169
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I'd be a little sad to see the current design go. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better-looking desktop, even today.