Apple exec suggests new iMacs may not come till 2013

Comments

• Reply 21 of 169
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'm waiting for the next iMac. The newest Intel chipset running a bit cooler, a bit faster and with USB 3. I wonder if the holdup is an inability to offer a 21"+ display in high DPI. I want HiDPI, but that I can put off.
  • Reply 22 of 169
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntson View Post

I have sunk almost $1 mil into it - how do you think I feel?

Depends on how big your business is relative to his.

• Reply 23 of 169
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

apple is giving its user base the collective finger with the mac pro "updates". It's like they are doing it intentionally. Get Ive to redesign or touch up the case and stick the latest of other people's hardware in there, how the hell can't this be done in 3 years time? That should be a few weeks' work at most. 

• Reply 24 of 169
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    26chrisr wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, anyone buying a iMac today is being ripped off by Apple PERIOD.

Since the May 2011 iMac appeared, the cost of its components have dropped substantially, particularly the CPU, RAM, GPU and LCD panel - given the Apple premium is already 30% on all their  desktops at launch, that means today anyone one purchasing the iMac is giving 50% of the price to Apple directly in profit.

The company has no excuses, its a blatant rip-off and the fools purchasing 18 month old technology don't have much of a clue - they are but shinny toys to go with their iOS toys.

All desktop users are asking for - that's those of us who making both a living and enjoy leisure time on their Mac's - is a slight revision of the existing product and not a new Steve Ive inspired re-design.

Surely, it is not too difficult to make the leap to Ivy Bridge and a new GPU - perhaps with additional RAM and larger HDD in top end model.

Judging by the Mac Pro revision, it appears Apple are giving us the finger - God I wish I'd not sold by iMac BTO 27in i7 now, I'm still using the other one I own, but without a refresh, I'm tempted to do a Hackintosh and utilise latest top end Sandy Bridge i7K's - with the money I save, I can then easily afford a Dell 27in monitor or Apple TB LCD - Aesthetics are one thing, exploitation is another, and Apple are now exploiting the Sheople and becoming more and more a business focused on the elite, rather than your average consumer. 

This is first rate bitching. It's as if you don't even realize you have a choice not to buy their new generation MBPs, that they haven't updated and kept their older style MBPs, or that you have a choice to not buy any Apple product whatsoever since the concept of a company being profitable, desirable and more efficient in their ability to produce desirable products clearly offends you.

PS: Apple is The Man. Show them that you won't bow down to The Man.
  • Reply 25 of 169
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Apple is The Man. Show them that you won't bow down to The Man.

If Adobe came out with their own OS and browser designed specifically for Creative Suite and it ran on standard Linux kernel I'd be gone in an instant. As it is today you only have choice between windows and Mac and now they both sort of suck.
  • Reply 26 of 169
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member

Is it that Apple doesn't care or are there other reasons behind the way Apple is upgrading its desktop line? I am going to guess that there are other reasons for this that are just not obvious. I bought a new iMac at the end of last year and it works well for me and should be enough machine for me for at least the next several years. I am also going to guess that most Mac buyers these days feel the same. I also understand that the lack of upgrades, especially on the pro line, may be a problem for those users and I am sure it is a pain for them. Maybe part of the issue for some of them is that some were waiting to buy a new machine and waiting for more of an upgrade so they didn't invest in a machine that was more obsolete when they got it.

• Reply 27 of 169
    It seems possible that if Apple is holding off on iMac updates until 2013 that they might be holding off so that they can do a Retina Display update for them (and the ATD). Clearly there is a progression from smaller to larger in the ability to create a larger Retina Displays at volume.

apple is giving its user base the collective finger with the mac pro "updates". It's like they are doing it intentionally. Get Ive to redesign or touch up the case and stick the latest of other people's hardware in there, how the hell can't this be done in 3 years time? That should be a few weeks' work at most. 
    So Apple should continue to update all products if a single user wants it done? Sound perfectly reasonable to me¡ I personally like the idea of a free market where the customer decides what products are best for them to buy just as company decide what products are best for them to make, but there is no requirement for everyone to want freedom and choice the way I do.
  • Reply 28 of 169
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Bet new iMacs and minis come out with the release of mountain lion. Same form factor and iMac monitors.
  • Reply 29 of 169
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Early 2013 sounds about right. At that time it will be ready to be renamed "The iTV".

• Reply 30 of 169
    I personally like the idea of a free market where the customer decides what products are best for them to buy just as company decide what products are best for them to make, but there is no requirement for everyone to want freedom and choice the way I do.

Right but to be profitable they need only to sell Apple branded single ply toilet tissue. Jeff Besos is at least trying get into the space race. Apple needs to support the pro community even if it is at a financial loss. They have lost the respect of the the pros and soon the academics so their eventual market will only be the Walmart/Best Buy crowd.

God I hate this forum software when on an iPad it sucks in general but on iOS is blows big time.
  • Reply 31 of 169
    mstone wrote: »
    If Adobe came out with their own OS and browser designed specifically for Creative Suite and it ran on standard Linux kernel I'd be gone in an instant. As it is today you only have choice between windows and Mac and now they both sort of suck.

I wish they would have. I've said for decades that PC vendors need to be developing their own OS secretly just in case one day it's less than advantageous to be under MS' thumb. They are all struggling and with Win8 I think it's just going to get worse for everyone but Apple.

I've also been saying that the (then) rumours of the Retina Display Macs with the highly integrated ML and Win8 debacle that Apple should have a new Mac campaign on the ready for 2012 to help pull new users over even faster. They still have some time but it's looking like that is not likely to happen.
  • Reply 32 of 169
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

Having been waiting to buy an iMac myself, I'm obviously disappointed to hear this news -- though it could very well be misleading on purpose... It would not be the first time that Apple was less than forthcoming about their future plans.

Today's keynote was over 2 hours long and they rushed through many of the sections as it was, adding another section to talk about Desktop hardware may have been unfeasible.  To say nothing of the fact that Apple always likes to milk one product release before over-shadowing it with another.

All of this being said, the real fact of the matter is that the iMac is typically refreshed every 273 days, and it has now been just over 400 since the last upgrade.  Making us wait another 6-8 months would essentially spell the end of Apple's mid-range desktop market, as I'm sure we're all contemplating a Hackintosh right about now; something that I'm sure has not escaped the grasp of Tim and his team.

Optimistic?  Perhaps, but it's all I have to cling to at the moment...

• Reply 33 of 169
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member

I don't see Apple waiting 6+ months for an iMac.  

Maybe it is because I'm waiting for an update before buying, but the iMac is just too good a design for Apple to walk away from.  Like the Mac Pro, there is no need to change the external design.  Improve the innards and display and put it on the market.

• Reply 34 of 169
    Right but to be profitable they need only to sell Apple branded single ply toilet tissue. Jeff Besos is at least trying get into the spec race. Apple needs to support the pro community even if it is at a financial loss. They have lost the respect of the the pros and soon the academics so there eventual market will only be the Walmart/Best Buy crowd.

In no way is Apple racing to the bottom with their products. They are selling products at prices as cheap or cheaper than the competition that is better built, holds its value longer and is usually more useful while still turning a profit. The oft repeated mantra that because Apple make more of a profit than other vendors from EoC and efficient business practices that they should lower their prices is simply absurd. I'd love for their prices to be lower when I decide to purchase and item but I don't get on my soap box and demand it (like some people, not you) simply because they are successful.

As for the pro crowd, I'd like them to support them more but that simply isn't where the market seems to be going. You look at the days of ol' with towers where everything was off the shelf to today's iPad and there is a very real trend. I'm just glad that Apple is readying another version of OS X a year after the last (which does resolve a lot my wishes for Lion) and has invested the money in getting Retina Displays in MBPs. Is the latter really a Wal-Mart-focused feature? I don't think so.
  • Reply 35 of 169
    modemode Posts: 163member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You and pretty much every creative professional in the world.

Replacing infrastructure, software, work-flow, education and familiarity is no small feat - for any size company and it comes at a cost.

Solip is wrong to say we "don't have to buy their products".

Lots of us are at a crossroads - and our patience is growing thin.

• Reply 36 of 169
    As for the pro crowd, I'd like them to support them more but that simply isn't where the market seems to be going.

I'm just saying everything isn't about profit. If you happen to know about medicine or aviation or a number of other professional disciplines you will see names like 3M, Mobil, etc listed on the devices and accessories because they understand that entire industries depend on them to provide technology that is crucial to civilization. Apple cares only about profit not civilization contrary to their warmhearted video of helping th blind, the disadvantaged and hadicapped and they claim this is why we do what we do. It is all about profit. Nothing more nothing less.
  • Reply 37 of 169
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

You know what else makes it look like Apple doesn't care about the pro line anymore? The industrial design. The "cheese grater" case has been around how long now? Almost exactly nine years, with the introduction of the PowerMac G5. Apple has never kept any design for any other computer around that long. It's not like it's a great design, either. Bulky, with those curved handles. Ridiculously heavy thanks to the heavy gauge aluminum. And to my eyes, butt ugly. Sure is less elegant than the simple and sleek Quicksilver (but similarly bulky) PowerMac G4. Granted, the internals are very neatly laid out and getting to them is easier than with PC towers. But to be absolutely honest, a very dated design.

I could give a rat's ass about redesigning the case. It owns the industry, period. I care about the Motherboard design, the components available and the performance.

• Reply 38 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not really.

Yes really.

• Reply 39 of 169
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member

deleted

• Reply 40 of 169
    I'm just saying everything isn't about profit. If you happen to know about medicine or aviation or a number of other professional disciplines you will see names like 3M, Mobil, etc listed on the devices and accessories because they understand that entire industries depend on them to provide technology that is crucial to civilization. Apple cares only about profit not civilization contrary to their warmhearted video of helping th blind, the disadvantaged and hadicapped and they claim this is why we do what we do. It is all about profit. Nothing more nothing less.

Well you don't see any blind, deaf or handicapped people walking around with Mac Pros in their hand do you?

I sold Macs for a living for many years and I've impacted a lot of people's lives with iPads, iPhone/iPod Touch and the Universal Access features of Mac OS X. I've never impacted someone's life with a Mac Pro. Not discounting the Mac Pro or its lack of update cycle, but being mad because they didn't update your high end Mac doesn't discount their motives.