Apple exec suggests new iMacs may not come till 2013

Comments

• Reply 41 of 169

This is the first keynote presentation that I wasn't interested in watching. I've been shopping for a new computer. I'm not interested in Facebook integration or super displays. I'm interested in CPUs, RAM, graphics cards, and energy consumption. It seems like Apple is more interested in integrating all of us with everything on the internet whether we want it or not. Tag this and that. Send it out to the world of social web sites.

Apple has given up the embodiment of the "Think Different" 1984 advertisement. Now they're more interested in getting us to do everything the Apple way. They want us to integrate our phones with our computers, iPads, the internet, TVs, and even with purchasing products anywhere we can make a purchase with credit cards. Apple tells people they can't purchase apps outside of the Apple environment. They won't let people do what they want with their iDevices otherwise their warranties will be voided. That certainly is the opposite of "Think Different".

Apple got us thinking we were special because we were different than the rest, but Apple is now one of the largest corporations on the planet. They got that way by getting us to join in the ranks. So now we number in the tens of millions. I'm sure that the people at Apple think of us as just joining the Apple family, but it doesn't feel like that. It feels very superficial.

I'm getting the urge to jump ship. Anybody else feel this way? Tux (Linux) here I come!

• Reply 42 of 169
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

Apple moving to a 2 year cycle in certain products is very discouraging. The IMAC is used by many in corporate as well as non-corporate users. 

We all look to Apple for a state of the art machine. I can make this statement without any hesitation.

Apple delaying and not updating the IMAC each year as it has in the past is a grave mistake. Many of us that use an Imac cannot use a laptop comfortably in our profession. For those that have the liberty of a choice of a Laptop or Imac I'm sure many would prefer the IMAC.

While Apple may feel we are in the 'Post PC era' for them to rush it along will not benefit them.

Is Apple losing its shine????  I hope not. i'm willing to wait and see...........................but not forever.

• Reply 43 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Yes really.

... no... as melgross said... not really

Apple intentionally limits the product range and slows down the product cycle for a number of reasons (read the Steve Jobs book... its states it plainly0

- to coincide with seasonal consumer trends

- they only change something when they have something better to replace it - the Mac Pro is great design - what competing product would you suggest is anywhere close to the Mac Pro.... hmm, I thought so....

- to simply tell the story - Apple makes 'insanely great' products not a bunch of crap.

- to make it easier for customers to select the product they need - go figure which Sony product or pre 1997 Apple product you need... it's bewildering

- it effectively and efficiently reinforces brand recognition

Many Apple products have remained the same for far longer than competitors products. Apple has one style of keyboard and has had so for years, how many does microsoft have? Why do they need different styles? Why don't they just make one really good one?

• Reply 44 of 169
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Apple moving to a 2 year cycle in certain products is very discouraging. The IMAC is used by many in corporate as well as non-corporate users. 

We all look to Apple for a state of the art machine. I can make this statement without any hesitation.

Apple delaying and not updating the IMAC each year as it has in the past is a grave mistake. Many of us that use an Imac cannot use a laptop comfortably in our profession. For those that have the liberty of a choice of a Laptop or Imac I'm sure many would prefer the IMAC.

While Apple may feel we are in the 'Post PC era' for them to rush it along will not benefit them.

Is Apple losing its shine????  I hope not. i'm willing to wait and see...........................but not forever.

I think you're going way over the top here in your criticism.  The fact is an iMac from three generations ago is still a fast, powerful machine even for things like video editing and graphics.  the new ones are faster and it would be great to get a new one every year but to say that it's a "grave mistake" is just silly.  Most people use a computer to browse the web and type a few documents.  Even in business the most use they will get is a large spreadsheet or two.  Even an iMac from the very beginning of the aluminium models (generations ago) is still more than sufficient for that.  

• Reply 45 of 169
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    What makes you guys so sure they are giving you the finger? For all we know they could be lumping these updates with the release of the Apple TV that's coming down the pipelines. It's best to just be patient and see. Are people really clam morning to spend another 8k in just three years time on a desktop? Really?
  • Reply 46 of 169
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    I'm just saying everything isn't about profit. If you happen to know about medicine or aviation or a number of other professional disciplines you will see names like 3M, Mobil, etc listed on the devices and accessories because they understand that entire industries depend on them to provide technology that is crucial to civilization.
    Your first statement contradicts your second. If there is no civilization then they have nothing to sell to civilization. Believe me when I say that no for-profit corporation is altruistic. There is a self serving agenda in what they do.
    Apple cares only about profit not civilization contrary to their warmhearted video of helping th blind, the disadvantaged and hadicapped and they claim this is why we do what we do. It is all about profit. Nothing more nothing less.
    Apple still has the Mac Pro and people are saying Apple doesn't care about the Mac even with today's updates so why are they doing these updates? The answer is clearly for profit which is exactly what they should be doing. The question is why do some people expect them to serve their specific needs with Apple having no commitment to their own needs. It's a myopic viewpoint.

You can look at Apple and see that they have a lot of low to possibly even below profit products and services. We've been hearing that iTunes Store is low profit, which we know is to help sell more HW. We know the Apple TV is no more than low profit (could be below profit) but it's a place holder for a future time when certain things line up. The iPad and iPhone cost Apple a lot of money long before they had any product to sell. If it failed they wouldn't have been bailed out for giving it a best effort try. Then you have WebKit which is the best and most used browser engine in the world but Apple invest money in it and offers it up for free because of how it helps them. They see the big picture. There is no big picture for continuing to still sell, say, an Apple II simply because someone might still want it.
  • Reply 47 of 169
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    2013! You'd better be f¥€#ing with me. My iMac is playing up and I need to upgrade it and I'm not ever going to buy a PC again.
  • Reply 48 of 169
    Wow, there is a lot of over-reaction to the minimal Mac Pro refresh, and the lack of an iMac refresh. With every quarter that goes by, there is an increasing percentage of laptop vs desktop sales. Apple is simply dedicating their resources to where the profits are, which are iOS devices and Mac laptops. That being said, I don't think desktops are going anywhere, and the lack of a refresh doesn't point to that. The iMac and Mac Pro are relatively stable and mature platforms, as most of the desktop PC industry is as a whole. Intel's roadmap's for desktop CPU's have also been 'slowing down' as of late as well, which could partially explain the longer refresh cycle of the iMac. The other question to ask, is, does Intel have a Xeon capable chipset available that supports Thunderbolt and USB 3.0? If the answer is no, then, that answer helps partially explain why the Mac Pro was just speed-bumped today and not much else. Apple didn't take the plunge on USB 3.0 on their mobile computers until Intel had the integrated chipset available to make it so. Although they are doing a lot of customization in the iOS hardware area, and in the power management of their mobile computers, one thing Apple has not been doing is spending a lot of resources on customizing chipsets for their desktops and laptops. Most are based on reference designs and chipsets from Intel, and I wouldn't expect that to change any time soon.

As mobile computers become faster and more powerful, they are increasingly becoming part of the 'pro' workflow. I think the new MBP with Retina Display is a testament to that. The new model may not be a mainstream bestseller due to pricing, but, it's going to sell will in the pro and pro-sumer markets that need the additional horsepower and features the new model offers. I would expect Mac laptops continue to be refreshed on a yearly basis, since the technology is continuing to improve at a faster rate than in the desktop segment of the market. The iMac and Mac Mini will probably go to a 12-18 month cycle. The Mac Pro may go two years between major technology refreshes, with only speed bumps in between. I think it's more telling that the Mac Pro did not get discontinued today (as the 17" MacBook Pro did), than the minimal refresh to the line. The fact it's still in the product line means Apple is still getting enough sales to justify still running the factories to produce them. Otherwise, they would be in the Apple product graveyard.

My prediction: expect an iMac refresh in the fall, and a Mac Pro refresh in 2013.
  • Reply 49 of 169
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

I don't care that much myself about a new pro or iMac because the iMac I have now is still good for a few years of use. For those buying new ones though I hope Apple gets rid of the stupid reflective screen. If I want to see my face I'll use a mirror, and annoying reflections off windows that otherwise are well positioned for natural light are idiotic. A design made to look good in the shop, not in practical use.

• Reply 50 of 169

that's very nice lcd designs given by you .

event management companies in delhi

• Reply 51 of 169

Having fallen in love with all things Apple, I've been waiting 6 months now for my first Apple computer. Not a notebook - why bother when you've got an iPad and need a big screen ?

So my sights are set on a beautiful new iMac to replace a supercharged PC (with age comes wisdom ... "it just works" starts to appeal).

Why the delay ? Saving the cash, waiting for the new intel processors and now waiting on Apple. Aaaarh the pain.  I agree with previous comments, the design is already superb, just update the insides with :

(a) ivy bridge processor - less heat, more speed; what's not to like

(b) Nvidia graphics - more power (nice) and better drivers (on windows) than ATI

(c) a bigger top end hard disk (at least 3Tb please)

Fingers crossed for an update soon, but I'm starting to feel that this is going to be a long wait (big sigh - I hate waiting).

• Reply 52 of 169
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

Hopefully with matte display. At least as an option. Even if more expensive. Oherwise, no purchase. Sign the petition at

MacMatte (matte petition)

• Reply 53 of 169
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

There may be major changes to the desktop lineup next year, but I'm still confident that Apple will update the iMac and Mac mini next month when Mountain Lion ships.

The following is based simply on the current lineup and chips that are available. I have no inside information.

21.5  Core i5 3330S (2.7GHz), nVidia GeForce GT 640M

21.5  Core i5 3470S (2.9GHz), nVidia GeForce GT 650M - optional Core i7 3770S (3.1GHz)

27 Core i5 3470S (2.9GHz), nVidia GeForce GT 650M

27 Core i5 3570S (3.1GHz), nVidia GeForce GTX 680M - optional Core i7 3770   (3.4GHz)

Mini Core i5 3210M (2.5GHz), Intel 4000 graphics

Mini Core i5 3320M (2.6GHz), nVidia GeForce GT 640M LE - optional Core i7 3520M (2.9GHz)

Mini Core i7 3612QM (2.1GHz), Intel 4000 graphics

Server

• Reply 54 of 169
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    kolchak wrote: »
    You know what else makes it look like Apple doesn't care about the pro line anymore? The industrial design. The "cheese grater" case has been around how long now? Almost exactly nine years, with the introduction of the PowerMac G5. Apple has never kept any design for any other computer around that long. It's not like it's a great design, either. Bulky, with those curved handles. Ridiculously heavy thanks to the heavy gauge aluminum. And to my eyes, butt ugly. Sure is less elegant than the simple and sleek Quicksilver (but similarly bulky) PowerMac G4. Granted, the internals are very neatly laid out and getting to them is easier than with PC towers. But to be absolutely honest, a very dated design.

Sorry, man, but you have no idea what you're taliking about. That case has won many a design award, and "x years old" is no reason to change a design. That computer still looks decades better than the competition.

Now that said, the internals desperately need updating.
  • Reply 55 of 169
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member

I think the problem is performance, graphics performance. An iMac with retina display would need a shed load of graphics processing power to shift the required number of pixels. The new MBP with retina has a resolution not much higher than my existing iMac (2560x1440). 

• Reply 56 of 169
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    mstone wrote: »
    If Adobe came out with their own OS and browser designed specifically for Creative Suite and it ran on standard Linux kernel I'd be gone in an instant. As it is today you only have choice between windows and Mac and now they both sort of suck.

Talk about sucking. An Adobe OS would be the most bloated, ugly, counterintuitive and overpriced OS on the planet. And if you want slow release cycles, Adobe's your man.
  • Reply 57 of 169
    ray bartray bart Posts: 91member
    Sunk costs. Breathe in, breathe out. I'm on my way back from WWDC. Let me say Nobody there cares about hardware - they just care about the next 99c app that will contribute nothing to scientific progress but make them money. I hope Apple do not drop the imac
  • Reply 58 of 169
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

"Our pro customers are so important to us that we will have something for you late next year." Lol, something about that seems self-contradictory...

• Reply 59 of 169
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If Adobe came out with their own OS and browser designed specifically for Creative Suite and it ran on standard Linux kernel I'd be gone in an instant. As it is today you only have choice between windows and Mac and now they both sort of suck.

Well that made me laugh! image Adobe can't even integrate their suite to work and look the same across programs, I can't imagine for the life of me that they could ever create an OS!

• Reply 60 of 169
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you're going way over the top here in your criticism.  The fact is an iMac from three generations ago is still a fast, powerful machine even for things like video editing and graphics.  the new ones are faster and it would be great to get a new one every year but to say that it's a "grave mistake" is just silly.  Most people use a computer to browse the web and type a few documents.  Even in business the most use they will get is a large spreadsheet or two.  Even an iMac from the very beginning of the aluminium models (generations ago) is still more than sufficient for that.  

+1 on that statement.

Among the many "graphic pros" that I work with daily, a 3-4 year old MacPro works just fine, and the last iMac revision fully loaded is a serious beast(!) I have both, and work and like them equally. Although, the SD drive in the iMac is just amazing fast... so I would have to give the "preferred" crown for daily tasks to the iMac. For cutting up and ingesting film or photos, an 8-core MacPro is still hard to beat... a serious "truck".

However, for the average "consumer" type user, I scour Ebay for 2-3 year old 13" or 15" MBPs for a good price, upgrade them myself, and in almost every scenario have a far better computer than what you can purchase currently using Windows 7, unless going top-of-the-line.

Regardless of my preference to push OSX if the people are open to it, I do support i5-Win7 boxes as "more computer than you will ever need or use".

PS. in regards to the other threads here at AI re: the demise of the 17" MBP and lack of a revised MacPro... I find it interesting that many of the comments always come down to "I'm a pro user and I need "X".

I witness so-called "pro-users" every day, not utilizing even a 10th of the computer in front of them, and most of all not knowing how to use simple things like Spaces, Exposé, Cmd-Tab switching, Spotlight... or even the Desktop or Dock "correctly".

Advanced question: How many people do you know that use "Services" or "Automator"?