Apple brings Retina Display support to Final Cut Pro, Aperture, iPhoto

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Updates for Apple's Final Cut Pro, Aperture and iPhoto rolled out on Monday to accommodate the high-resolution Retina Display of the next generation MacBook Pro.

A number of Apple's in-house apps will be the first ready to take advantage of the high pixel density Retina Display MacBook Pro announced on Monday, with the company focusing on graphics-intensive titles like Final Cut Pro, Aperture and iPhoto.

Final Cut Pro 10.0.5

Apple's flagship video editing software get a slight update with overall stability improvements and enhancements for the 15-inch Retina Display MacBook Pro. The latest version is available through the Mac App Store.

Aperture

The Mac maker's professional-level photo editing and management software gets a boost to version 3.3 which brings Retina Display capabilities and a host of new features like an iPhoto-unified photo library that requires no import or export to Aperture. Also added to the Adjustments panel is a new Auto Enhance button that gives users an option for easy one-click fixes.

From the release notes:
What's New in Version 3.3
? New unified photo library for both iPhoto (v 9.3 or later) and Aperture; no import/export required; Faces, Places, slideshows, albums and web sharing work across both applications
? Support for AVCHD video has been added
? Aperture now lets you use camera-generated previews for faster browsing of RAW files immediately after import
? Highlights & Shadows tool has been updated to deliver higher-quality results and work with extended range data
? A new Auto Enhance button has been added to the Adjustments panel
? White Balance tool now includes Skin Tone and Natural Gray modes to simplify color balance
? Auto button has been added to the White Balance tool for one-click color balancing
? Set Desktop command has been added to Share menu so you can set a desktop background from within Aperture
? A new Manual option allows you to drag and drop projects to customize sort order in the Projects view
? New preference allows you to set the background brightness of the full screen browser
? Facebook, Flickr, and MobileMe albums are now displayed as thumbnails in the main window when accounts are selected in the source list
? Minor terminology changes, including "Original" instead of "Master" and "Info" instead of "Metadata"
? Source list includes a new "Recent" section, showing Last Import and recently-viewed projects
? Raw Fine Tuning is no longer displayed in the Adjustments panel by default
? Faces can now be named by dragging them from the Unnamed Faces browser to existing snapshots on the corkboard
? The Faces corkboard now includes a menu that allows you to set the order of face snapshots
? Newly designed monochrome source list and toolbar icons
? Addresses numerous issues related to overall performance and stability
Aperture
Aperture received the most significant update bringing multiple new features to the pro photo editing app.</ br> Click image to view at Retina Display size. | Source: Apple

The update is recommended for all Aperture 3 users and can be found through the Mac App Store.

iPhoto 9.3

Apple's consumer-level photo management app gets access to the unified Aperture photo library as well as AVCHD video support along with Retina Display compatibility.

From the release notes:
What's New in Version 9.3
? iPhoto can now open libraries from Aperture 3.3 or later
? AVCHD video is now supported
? The Description field now automatically expands as needed when entering text
? You can now flag a photo in Magnify (1-up) view by clicking a Flag icon displayed in the upper left corner of the photo
? Keywords and titles are now preserved when exporting files with embedded GPS location data
? A new Export option allows you to automatically organize exported photos into subfolders by event
Version 9.3 of iPhoto is recommended for all users of iPhoto '11 and can be downloaded through the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I'm trying to get a handle on what the general rules regarding Retina resolution are with respect to various applications. Do pictures in the browser look really small? Do font sizes specified in CSS pixels look really small? do applications such as inDesign/Illustrator no longer have the ability to display something at 100%? What happens when you log into it from a non-retina computer to share the screen. Will you be able to read anything?

What happens with web design? Do we have a way to detect the high res display? Questions questions questions. I'm just curious but I'll discover soon enough I guess since I plan on getting one of these MBPs very soon.

• Reply 2 of 14
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member

Quote:

What happens with web design? Do we have a way to detect the high res display? Questions questions questions. I'm just curious but I'll discover soon enough I guess since I plan on getting one of these MBPs very soon.

Nothan "happens".  The new pixels are smaller, more packed together, and thus provide an ultimately clearer resolution.  This is achieved by hardware.  Web will not be negatively affected.  In fact, no changes have to be made.  Apps will need to be updated take advantage because they have been compile and rendered differently.  What you will discover at the moment is a higher level of detail even for what's already out there, especially text and HD photos/videos.
  • Reply 3 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

Nothan "happens".  The new pixels are smaller, more packed together, and thus provide an ultimately clearer resolution.  This is achieved by hardware.  Web will not be negatively affected.  In fact, no changes have to be made.  Apps will need to be updated take advantage because they have been compile and rendered differently.  What you will discover at the moment is a higher level of detail even for what's already out there, especially text and HD photos/videos.

Really? Help me understand. I have a simple jpeg on a website. It is exactly 72 x 72 pixels square and is placed in the webpage without any dimensions specified in the html code. Using a regular computer such as an iMac I can hold up a ruler up to the screen and the image measures roughly 1 inch. With the new high res display you are saying the image will still measure 1 inch when I hold a ruler up to the screen?

• Reply 4 of 14

The update is recommended for all Aperture 3 users and can be found through the Mac App Store.

Well, not exactly all Aperture 3 users - those of us still running Aperture 3.2.2 on 10.6.8 are S.O.L.

• Reply 5 of 14
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioinside View Post

Well, not exactly all Aperture 3 users - those of us still running Aperture 3.2.2 on 10.6.8 are S.O.L.

Me too, but the ones who are SOL are looking to be the ones who updated and hosed their Apps (see Apple's download page for the one star reviews front and center).  Also there are some saying (at DPR and elsewhere) that for them the new shadow adjustment looks worse instead of better.   Seems like a handful of little tweaks and a lot of time developing consumer bells and whistles.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aperture/id408981426?mt=12&amp;ign-mpt=uo=4

• Reply 6 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mstone wrote: »
    Really? Help me understand. I have a simple jpeg on a website. It is exactly 72 x 72 pixels square and is placed in the webpage without any dimensions specified in the html code. Using a regular computer such as an iMac I can hold up a ruler up to the screen and the image measures roughly 1 inch. With the new high res display you are saying the image will still measure 1 inch when I hold a ruler up to the screen?

Regardless of the screen resolution, I'd suggest an on screen ruler or better still use the attributes info from what ever app to determine the size. Having said that, and I could be wrong, but I suspect any adapted application when asked to show 'actual size' would compensate for the quad resolution automatically and show the actual size fine.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mstone wrote: »

This article from ApertureExpert.com will explain a whole lot on pixels etcetera. A really good article, written after the retina iPad came out.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is fairly simple, you can either run the retina MBP at its native resolution (or a few resolutions between native and pixel-doubling) and it behaves like any computer with small pixels, everything will be fairly small OR you can run it in HiDPI mode. In this mode any non-modified application will look like it would look on a 900 x 1440 pixel display, the application itself 'sees' a 900 x 1440 pixel display. So, your example of a 72 x 72 pixel image, it will - in non-modified applications - be displayed as a 144 x 144 image with every original image pixels represented by four screen pixels.

• Reply 9 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    My Aperture Library is still being updated two hours in and counting ...

Anyone figured out what this iPhoto / Aperture Library integration actually means in practical terms?
  • Reply 10 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

It is fairly simple, you can either run the retina MBP at its native resolution (or a few resolutions between native and pixel-doubling) and it behaves like any computer with small pixels, everything will be fairly small OR you can run it in HiDPI mode. In this mode any non-modified application will look like it would look on a 900 x 1440 pixel display, the application itself 'sees' a 900 x 1440 pixel display. So, your example of a 72 x 72 pixel image, it will - in non-modified applications - be displayed as a 144 x 144 image with every original image pixels represented by four screen pixels.

So what are the web design best practices for dealing with a client who may or may not have a retina display and may or may not have HiDPI enabled?

• Reply 11 of 14
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Question a bit off topic. So with this update will I be able to see native 1080 HD in iMovie Pro...er I mean FinalCut X with my mid 2011 iMac w/ the 2 GB video card?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

…in iMovie Pro…er I mean FinalCut X…

There's no call for that.

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to now, but I still have FCP 7, so I can't confirm.

• Reply 13 of 14
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So what are the web design best practices for dealing with a client who may or may not have a retina display and may or may not have HiDPI enabled?

That is a bit more complicated, to get a taste of what might work see this:

http://duncandavidson.com/blog/2012/03/retina_web_thoughts

But that is hardly the last word on this issue.

• Reply 14 of 14
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Zoom it in as far as possible until you see it pixelate.  Then compare that to the retina display at the apple store