Shipping time for new Retina display MacBook Pro slips to 2-3 weeks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Though the new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display launched when it was announced on Monday, estimated shipping times for the next-generation notebook have already slipped to two to three weeks at Apple's online store.

Both the 2.3 gigahertz model with 256 gigabyte flash storage, which sells for $2,199, and the 2.6 gigahertz model with 512 gigabytes of flash, for $2,799, are now estimated to ship in two to three weeks. Those shipping times suggest Apple's initial run of new MacBook Pros have already sold out.

The next-generation MacBook Pro was announced Monday by Apple as a new addition to its MacBook lineup. The company has called the new notebook "the most beautiful computer we have ever made."

The new MacBook Pro takes design cues from the MacBook Air by ditching the optical disc drive for a thinner profile and relying solely on flash memory. It also features a new high-resolution Retina display that is exclusive to the next-generation MacBook Pro.

The new MacBook Pro features a 2,880-by-1,880-pixel screen that jams 220 pixels per inch into its 15.4-inch frame. Apple has also said glare has been reduced by 75 percent on the new display.

Shipping

It also sports upgraded connectivity options, such as USB 3.0 and a dedicated HDMI out port. It also sports two high-speed Thunderbolt ports, and a built-in SD card reader.

While the next-generation MacBook Pro with Retina display ships in two to three weeks, estimated shipping times for the updated 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros featuring the previous generation's design are listed as "in stock," suggesting they are available to ship immediately.

Apple also updated its MacBook Air lineup on Monday, adding Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors to its thin-and-light notebook lineup. All standard configurations of both the new 11- and 13-inch MacBook Airs are also advertised as "in stock" to ship as soon as possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59

There will be lines around the block when these hit the stores.  I wonder if they will be available at Wal*Mart from day 1?  

• Reply 2 of 59

Mine shows ETA on the 14th - of June

• Reply 3 of 59
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member

Actually, it went from "5-7 business days" to "2-3 weeks" yesterday evening. I know because I was calling stores to see if they had it, but every store only had the "regular" updated MBPs, so I finally ordered online last night and it had switched to 2-3 weeks then. We're talking around 4pm Pacific (7pm Eastern), so it wasn't even that late. I tweeted about it when I found out, so I can look for the exact time if need be. Have we come to the point where we have to stand in line to buy Macs??? lol...

• Reply 4 of 59
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member

Maybe it's better to wait until Mountain Lion is launched anyway? Migrating all your data to a new machine is hassle enough without having to load a new operating system too. 

• Reply 5 of 59
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Maybe it's better to wait until Mountain Lion is launched anyway? Migrating all your data to a new machine is hassle enough without having to load a new operating system too. 

You are kidding, right?

• Reply 6 of 59

I was very disappointed to see that Apple did not release a 15 inch version of the MacBook Air. I already have a 13 inch version but I really thought the 15 inch version would be easier to use were those of us with eyesight problems. I hope Apple considers it in the future.

• Reply 7 of 59

Mine, too! Due to arrive on Thursday at 10:30am!

• Reply 8 of 59

Quote:

This is an OSX upgrade you're talking about ... not Windows.

• Reply 9 of 59

@Onhka

Tailpipe does have a point.  With Mountain Lion set to release in July,it's probably best Apple wait till then to release the Retina MB Pro with ML installed.  No harm in making life a little easier that way.

• Reply 10 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    michaelal wrote: »
    I was very disappointed to see that Apple did not release a 15 inch version of the MacBook Air. I already have a 13 inch version but I really thought the 15 inch version would be easier to use were those of us with eyesight problems. I hope Apple considers it in the future.

Did they update any of the MBAs yesterday?
  • Reply 11 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Did they update any of the MBAs yesterday?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/11/apple_unveils_new_macbook_air_with_up_to_20ghz_cpus_512gb_storage.html

• Reply 12 of 59
    panupanu Posts: 135member

Quote:

It would be a hassle if it weren't for the Migration Assistant (in the Utilities folder). Run the utility and it takes you easy step by easy step through the procedure. It estimates how long the migration will take, so you can do other things. When you return, your new computer has the same settings, applications, documents, and accounts as the old one. My description makes it sound harder than it is.

• Reply 13 of 59
    panupanu Posts: 135member

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelal View Post

I was very disappointed to see that Apple did not release a 15 inch version of the MacBook Air. 

I think if they made a 15-inch MacBook Air, it would come out to be identical to the 15-inch MacBook Pro with retina display. All you have to do is black out "Pro" on the box with a Sharpie and write in "Air" and you've got your wish.

• Reply 14 of 59
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Not surprised. I do not want one (doesn't fit my needs) but do believe probably the best laptop ever done, on balance.

• Reply 15 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tokenuser wrote: »

Thanks! I clearly missed that.

I would say that Apple wanted full 15" focus on the new MBP right now. If they offered a NEW 15" MBA that would be a little confusing. It's already a little confusing with the updated old-style MBPs but they really did need to keep those because of the dramatic changes made to the new one. Maybe next time.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Agree. Not sure where I'm going to find laptops now as I have no interest in a smaller 15" screen. Simply adding more pixels does nothing if the information must be blown up due to the higher resolution to make it read-able. The end result is still the same where a comparable sized image on the screen has two less inches of screen space to work with.

I just can't see switching out my current inventory of 17" laptops for iMac's either. Now we have no option for larger displays except for costly and non-mobile external options.

Not all of use our interested in how 'thin' our laptop is.

Bad call...
  • Reply 17 of 59

Quote:

The migration will be a cinch.  That truly is idiot-proof.  On not having to upgrade the OS, it's a toss-up for me.  Go with a the mature OS and upgrade when wrinkles are ironed out of ML, or start with a fresh new OS and maybe have to live with a few wrinkles until that's sorted out. 

• Reply 18 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Agree. Not sure where I'm going to find laptops now as I have no interest in a smaller 15" screen. Simply adding more pixels does nothing if the information must be blown up due to the higher resolution to make it read-able. The end result is still the same where a comparable sized image on the screen has two less inches of screen space to work with.

I just can't see switching out my current inventory of 17" laptops for iMac's either. Now we have no option for larger displays except for costly and non-mobile external options.

Not all of use our interested in how 'thin' our laptop is.

Bad call...

Clealy, there are not enough people who insist on 17 inch laptops to be worth the while.  Not anymore. Not for Apple anyways.

I think that Apple likes to concentrate on the most profitable parts of the industry.  That is where they do best for profits.  And not enough people buy 17 inch laptops to be worth it anymore.

• Reply 19 of 59

This is not surprising at all.  If you do an apples-to-apples (how do you like that?) price comparison of the old-style 15 MBPro and the Retina 15 Pro, the Retina 15 Pro is cheaper !!  That's amazing.

Take the 2.6Ghz model.  With 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, the old-style Pro comes to $3,099.  The Retina Pro is priced at $2,799.  With the exception of the display, all key specs are the same (not counting number of ports).  In other words, if you go for the Retina Pro, you get a much better display than the standard display on the old-style Pro, and you save $300.  The same thing is also true of the low-end Retina Pro.  That is some pricing strategy!!  There will be huge demand.  No wonder the shipping time is slipping.

My conclusion is that Cook and Schiller want to make the Retina Pro so attractive, compared to other MacBook Pros (and PC notebooks), that it sells in huge volumes thus driving down manufacturing costs, particularly of the Retina display.  I think that after a couple more iterations, we may only have one line of MacBooks - Retina Pros (with no ODD or HDD).  If they can get the price of a 13 Retina Pro to $1,199, there will be no reason to keep the old-style Pros.  My guess is that they will eventually bring back the 17.

It will be very hard for the likes of HP and Dell to compete.

• Reply 20 of 59
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    applegreen wrote: »
    This is not surprising at all.  If you do an apples-to-apples (how do you like that?) price comparison of the old-style 15 MBPro and the Retina 15 Pro, the Retina 15 Pro is cheaper !!  That's amazing.

Take the 2.6Ghz model.  With 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, the old-style Pro comes to $3,099.  The Retina Pro is priced at $2,799.  With the exception of the display, all key specs are the same (not counting number of ports).  In other words, if you go for the Retina Pro, you get a much better display than the standard display on the old-style Pro, and you save $300.  The same thing is also true of the low-end Retina Pro.  That is some pricing strategy!!  There will be huge demand.  No wonder the shipping time is slipping.

My conclusion is that Cook and Schiller want to make the Retina Pro so attractive, compared to other MacBook Pros (and PC notebooks), that it sells in huge volumes thus driving down manufacturing costs, particularly of the Retina display.  I think that after a couple more iterations, we may only have one line of MacBooks - Retina Pros (with no ODD or HDD).  If they can get the price of a 13 Retina Pro to $1,199, there will be no reason to keep the old-style Pros.  My guess is that they will eventually bring back the 17.

It will be very hard for the likes of HP and Dell to compete.

Exactly.