First look: iOS 6 brings Siri to iPad, adds Facebook integration

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
This year's iOS 6 upgrade will bring the Siri personal assistant software to Apple's third-generation iPad, and will also add system-wide integration with Facebook for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users.

Both iPhone 4S and third-generation iPad users will also gain new Siri functionality with the launch of iOS 6 this fall. Specifically, the voice-driven personal assistant software can now check sports scores and game times, it offers the ability to reserve a table at a restaurant with OpenTable, and it also provides movie times and reviews via RottenTomatoes.

Previously, Siri was only available on the iPhone 4S, and the new third-generation iPad launched with voice dictation. But with iOS 6, users of the new iPad will also be able to use Siri.

With iOS 6, the social networking site Facebook also gains the same system-wide integration that was added for Twitter a year ago when iOS 5 was unveiled. Just like with Twitter, users sign in to their Facebook account through the iOS Settings application, and new Facebook sharing features are enabled systemwide.

Facebook and Twitter integration can be found in the "Share Sheets" button that appears throughout iOS. For example, when viewing pictures in the iOS Photos application, users can share those pictures directly to Facebook if their account info is stored in iOS 6.

Siri 1

Siri 2

Siri 3

Siri 4

Facebook 1

Facebook 2

Facebook 3

Facebook 4

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Hmmm.  Siri API.....  US Fantasy Football multi-billion dollar industry....  Hmmmm.....

• Reply 2 of 24
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Facebook is like a rash that won't go away.
  • Reply 3 of 24

I need a non-glossy iMac more than I need "integrated" Facebook.

• Reply 4 of 24

I'm willing to bet that jailbroken iPad 2's will be able to run Siri just fine.

• Reply 5 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocknova View Post

I'm willing to bet that jailbroken iPad 2's will be able to run Siri just fine.

I'm willing to bet that a jailbroken iPad would run Siri just fine. image

• Reply 6 of 24
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I'm willing to bet that a jailbroken iPad would run Siri just fine. :lol:

It does actually, pretty good.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member

Facebook 1

Million dollar question.  Do the Facebook and Twitter icons appear in the "send to" if you don't have their app installed and you're not signed in?  Or are we forced to look at them no matter what.

• Reply 8 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Facebook lol
  • Reply 9 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachB10 View Post

Or are we forced to look at them no matter what.

I believe this is the case. Hang on, I'll check in iOS 5.

Yes, this is the case. With no Twitter account set up and no application installed, you still see "Tweet" in the dropdown in iOS 5.

I assume the same holds true for iOS 6, but I can't check that. I would be ecstatic, certainly, if it wasn't the case, despite being unable to use it.

• Reply 10 of 24
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm willing to bet that a jailbroken iPad would run Siri just fine. image

Does the original iPad even have a microphone?

• Reply 11 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Does the original iPad even have a microphone?

Absolutely. It differs from the iPad 2 in only processor and lack of cameras (well, the case).

• Reply 12 of 24
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

Just so I can keep Facebook turned off, deleted, sandboxed or whatever, so none of my info is EVER shared with them.

• Reply 13 of 24
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

You are SO right.

• Reply 14 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Just so I can keep Facebook turned off, deleted, sandboxed or whatever, so none of my info is EVER shared with them.

Yep. Can't get rid of the buttons across the entire OS, though.

• Reply 15 of 24
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member

Yes, personally I like the calendar and contact syncing, but I can certainly see how some people might not.

I am a little concerned at the app integration however, it seems like Facebook will be able to track you through lots and lots of 'non Facebook' apps now.  I hope the mass of devs on the market will continue to let us sign in with our own logins etc and not demand FB credentials.  It wouldn't happen straight away but I can see it gradually becoming the easy option to just sign in with FB to all your apps.

A slow, insidious invasion of privacy if you are not vigilant...

• Reply 16 of 24
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Absolutely. It differs from the iPad 2 in only processor and lack of cameras (well, the case).
    just checked my iPad1 with the app "spectrogram pro" and the iPad1 does have a microphone!... something I thought was not there. But, the iPad1 is still too slow!. (sad because I have an Ipad1 64G 3g that is not useful to me because I have an iPad3)
    compared to the iPad3, the iPad1 is slowish, the screen is a bit blurry due to the antialiasing of the fonts, the web browsing annoys me greatly compared to iPad3).
    funny thing I think that is a designed in thing with the ios5 upgrade, i dont remeber it being like that before ios5...
    Remember these complains are in reference to the iPad1 vs iPad3... anything not iPad is awful!. IMO
    TL;DR in short I can only use the IPad1 for short periods before I miss the iPad3 greatly.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. Can't get rid of the buttons across the entire OS, though.

Great.  I'm very excited about the other features of the OS.  I don't have as much hate for Twitter as I do for Facebook, so this really chaps me.  I don't want their logo anywhere on my phone or iPad.  This is decidedly irritating.  I wonder if the jailbreak community may find a way to remove the icons.

• Reply 18 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Facebook is the new MySpace or Orkut...

• Reply 19 of 24

As 95% of Siri functionality comes from their servers and not the hardware on the mobile device, there really was no reason to NOT have it at intro for the 3. Well, actually, it very much was in keeping with the current gen Apple; their typical move would be to withhold it until the next hardware revision. So I really fell on the floor that someone apparently did decide to have it come in TO the 3 this fall. It was almost like this was a glimmer of what apple USED to be.

Don't get your hopes up my fellow Mac users, it was only a small glimmer/aberration... do NOT expect to see anything like it again.

• Reply 20 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post

As 95% of Siri functionality comes from their servers and not the hardware on the mobile device, there really was no reason to NOT have it at intro for the 3. Well, actually, it very much was in keeping with the current gen Apple; their typical move would be to withhold it until the next hardware revision. So I really fell on the floor that someone apparently did decide to have it come in TO the 3 this fall. It was almost like this was a glimmer of what apple USED to be.

Don't get your hopes up my fellow Mac users, it was only a small glimmer/aberration... do NOT expect to see anything like it again.

Stop the FUD, I want to get off!