Nine auto makers partner with Apple for 'Eyes Free' Siri support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Dean View Post

This is great news.  The more integrated these phones are the safer.  Android and the others will do the same, and the other car manufacturers will follow suit to maintain competitiveness.  The statistics are scary people.  Distracted driving is the most deadliest thing out there and we encounter it every day.  Just a few weeks ago a teen was sentences to several years in jail for accidentally killing someone while driving distracted by the phone.  Everyone lost that day.

The modern era phone is amazing, but it can be extremely dangerous at the same time if used without care.

From the DOT:

Is it safe to use a hands-free device to talk on a cell phone while driving?

So far, the research indicates that the cognitive distraction of having a hands-free phone conversation causes drivers to miss the important visual and audio cues that would ordinarily help you avoid a crash.

• Reply 22 of 66
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

I’ve decided I need my phone screen on so I don’t forget it and leave it on my dash! But it’s nice to at least set it on a screen that’s not moving/changing and distracting you. Album art for the current song, home screen, whatever. Plus sometimes you want your screen on for GPS. So I hope Siri can work “in the background” eyes-free even when the screen IS on.

• Reply 23 of 66
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

It would be nice if Apple could find a way to pull this off without requiring anything special on the vehicle manufacturer's part. The last several vehicles I've owned have had Bluetooth. One of which, a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado, worked with my iPhone 3GS's voice control feature. It's been a few years ago, so I don't remember exactly how I got it to work, but I remember pressing the "talk" button on the steering wheel and issuing some voice command that resulted in getting the iPhone's voice control "bing-bing". I could play music or make a phone call this way. This wasn't documented anywhere, but it worked. However, the Bluetooth in my current Honda doesn't work this way with either my 3GS or 4S.

• Reply 24 of 66
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmm... I see Chrysler in the list.

Sorry I meant Ford, but again as stated before, it does make sense since they have Sync.

• Reply 25 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ultrasparc wrote: »
    This is lame. My Lexus has a phone button. My iPhone is connected to it via bluetooth - yet I KNOW they wont offer an upgrade (yes my console is software upgradeable) to implement this. Instead they want me to buy a new car. Lame lame lame!

They might offer it - for only $1,000. After all, they charge hundreds of dollars just to update the navigation DVD.
  • Reply 26 of 66

Quote:

So far, the research indicates that the cognitive distraction of having a hands-free phone conversation causes drivers to miss the important visual and audio cues that would ordinarily help you avoid a crash.

... and how is that different from say, having a conversation with someone sitting in the back seat of the car as you drove? Research would probably indicate that that is a distraction too, but no worse.

• Reply 27 of 66
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member

Cadillac is already rolling out their CUE touch infotainment system on their XTS (launching now) and the ATS (launching in a couple of months).  CUE is heavily influenced by the iPad and Cadillac dealers are giving an iPad to all XTS buyers as a training tool.  Given the fact that CUE already has third party APIs for apps and has Nuance built in for speech recognition, I'm sure it won't be too much trouble for Apple and GM to get together on this.

• Reply 28 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

... and how is that different from say, having a conversation with someone sitting in the back seat of the car as you drove? Research would probably indicate that that is a distraction too, but no worse.

From what I have seen, the distractions are of different kinds, and one requires a different type of attention than the other.   

• Reply 29 of 66

Ford should be rethinking or at least considering moving away from solely using MS's sync platform.  I rented a focus zip car yesterday and was amazed at how difficult it was to connect and use my iP4S.  Even my son said it should just work like connecting an iPhone to a computer - and it doesn't.

Android might be the dominant platform volume-wise, but Apple really is the one to be able to pull off automobile integration.  MS has done itself no favors with the issues that Ford is having and given Android fragmentation, I don't see Google convincing automakers to sign on with whatever they are working on, if anything.

• Reply 30 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I'd like to see other high-end manufacturers also sign up: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls Royce, etc.

Yeah.... a huge market there.....

• Reply 31 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isidore View Post

Hang on a second, doesn't using Siri mean connecting to Apple's server farm in the US? Why should I want to send my location data and other personal information to the US?

If you don't, I guess you wouldn't want to use it. Kind of obvious, no?

• Reply 32 of 66

Apple car displays next!

Will be a huge business. 55 - 60 million cars are sold worldwide every year.

• Reply 33 of 66
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

I'd like to see other high-end manufacturers also sign up: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls Royce, etc. I'm a bit surprised Chrysler and Nissan aren't on-board as they have a strong presence in North America as well. I also assume, that by GM, Toyota and Honda, by extension, it will include many of their brands (Cadillac, Lexus, Acura). Hopefully it'll work via bluetooth rather than (the new) cable. In a few years or earlier, the other brands will come around. I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing iphone docks as a factory option or standard equipment soon.

1- These are not high-end, they're supercars.

2- They belong to those manufacturers who "partnered" so I'd expect these partnerships to extend up.

3- RR carries the "Made for iPod" logo since long, so I'd not be surprised if it worked out nice.

4- I don't care, I have an adamantium razorback and Apple products are heretical. Exterminatus on Apple's planet! Hmmm, wait...

• Reply 34 of 66
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

From the DOT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Quote:

From what I have seen, the distractions are of different kinds, and one requires a different type of attention than the other.   

Prior to Cell phones the DOT own accident data showed that distracted drivers cause most accidents and in the top 3 was changing the radio station and yelling at their own kids in the car. I never seen any studies that said having a normal conversation with someone in the car was the cause of accident. Leaving new or young drivers out of the Stats, you can gave a conversation and still drive a car, as it was pointed out it part of the brain being used does not interfere with the decision process need to drive.

This is no scientific on any level, but I have notice I can drive hundreds of miles and have a conversation with my family and remember the entire trip. However using my through the car hands free system with my cell and have the same conversation while driving home from work and I can barely remember how I got home. I talk to others and they say the same thing. I person do not even talk on the phone in the car other than to call and say I am almost there or ask a quick question.

The problem today, cars have turned into entertainment systems and too many thing going on in the car that people are not paying attention to just driving, they are just lucky cars are safer and they are easy to drive compared to cars 30 yrs ago

• Reply 35 of 66

Funny, I have all of this already in my 2001 BMW. I added on a Dice Mediabridge. Works fantastic. http://diceelectronics.com/media-bridge-info

• Reply 36 of 66

Quote:

In my opinion, it is unsafe for a driver to direct his attention to electronics instead of paying attention to his driving.  The eye free aspect helps, but the real distraction is paying attention to something other than driving.

...paying attention to something else... like destination directions?

• Reply 37 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by verucabong View Post

Works fantastic. http://diceelectronics.com/media-bridge-info

Hope its functionality outweighs its looks (both hardware and the quality of the interface).

• Reply 38 of 66
    amoradalaamoradala Posts: 146member

I was thinking the easiest way to activate siri, would be to SAY "siri".

• Reply 39 of 66

Quote:

I'd like to see other high-end manufacturers also sign up: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls Royce, etc. I'm a bit surprised Chrysler and Nissan aren't on-board as they have a strong presence in North America as well. I also assume, that by GM, Toyota and Honda, by extension, it will include many of their brands (Cadillac, Lexus, Acura). Hopefully it'll work via bluetooth rather than (the new) cable. In a few years or earlier, the other brands will come around. I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing iphone docks as a factory option or standard equipment soon.

Lamborghini just released a gold plated/alligator skin Gingerbread Android phone that is so hideous that only drug cartel leaders with no taste will buy it. Do a search to find a photo... this thing is U-G-L-Y !

• Reply 40 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

I was thinking the easiest way to activate siri, would be to SAY "siri".

Exactly! What's wrong with the idea of Siri just always being listening when the screen is on?