Apple details iCloud, dictation, Power Nap features in Mountain Lion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
At Monday's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, Apple showed off some of the new features of its forthcoming Mountain Lion operating system update, including dictation for the Mac, tighter integration with iCloud, Power Nap for automatic data updating, and a new version of Safari.

Craig Federighi, Apple's head of Mac software, showed off Mountain Lion on Monday at WWDC 2012, and took the opportunity to show off iCloud integration. He showed how with Documents in the Cloud, users would be able to access their files from anywhere.

The Notes and Reminders applications will also be added to the iCloud website. And notes will be accessible from anywhere with a data connection, on the Mac, iPhone, iPad, or through the iCloud website.

Federighi also announced that voice dictation will also be a part of Mountain Lion. The dictation feature, which does not offer personal assistant functionality like Siri, is also a part of the third-generation iPad.

Mountain Lion Reminders

Also demonstrated was the new Safari, which has a unified smart search field, and a new feature called iCloud Tabs that syncs open websites across devices. Another new feature called Tabview allows users to zoom out and see all of their tabs currently open in Safari.

Mountain Lion Safari

Another new feature announced Monday is called Power Nap, which allows a computer to stay up to date and back up automatically, even while the machine is sleeping. Power Nap automatically refreshes data, and is silent and power efficient. It works with the second-generation MacBook Air, and the next-generation MacBook Pro with Retina display.

Mountain Lion Power Nap

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Siri won't come to the Mac until 10.9.

Terrible, but true. Just watch them do that.

• Reply 2 of 21
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Dropbox?

• Reply 3 of 21
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Too bad power nap only available for Macs with flash storage. It is probably a hardware issue but I would have been nice it any Mac with SSD can take advantage of it.

• Reply 4 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I was going to buy an iPad 3 just for dictation. This just saved me $600! Awesome.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Dropbox?

Dropbox is not an Apple app.

• Reply 6 of 21
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Too bad power nap only available for Macs with flash storage. It is probably a hardware issue but I would have been nice it any Mac with SSD can take advantage of it.

i totally agree with you buddy, after upgrading my macbook pro 2011 with the SSD i wish i can use power naps

• Reply 7 of 21
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

I don't like unified search fields in browsers. In Safari now, if I type in "key", it goes to key.com, the home page for my bank. With a unified search field, it would go to a search page instead. Same with typing "apple", or "homedepot", etc. Major annoyance for me (other people browse differently, and prefer the unifed field). I hope there's a way to get back to having split search fields.

• Reply 8 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I don't like unified search fields in browsers. In Safari now, if I type in "key", it goes to key.com, the home page for my bank. With a unified search field, it would go to a search page instead. Same with typing "apple", or "homedepot", etc.

That's my only complaint with that search bar, but I can't possibly go back to the old way. I've been using this for too long.

I do have a serious issue with the ordering of the history suggestions. Bookmarks should come FIRST, then pages I've visited once for five seconds. 

Quote:

I hope there's a way to get back to having split search fields.

You know that isn't happening.

• Reply 9 of 21
    elroth wrote: »
    I don't like unified search fields in browsers. In Safari now, if I type in "key", it goes to key.com, the home page for my bank. With a unified search field, it would go to a search page instead. Same with typing "apple", or "homedepot", etc. Major annoyance for me (other people browse differently, and prefer the unifed field). I hope there's a way to get back to having split search fields.

Using Safari 6 now, a single-word query is treated as a search unless you add a .com or whathaveyou. It seems they actually thought of your exact complaint, and fixed it!
  • Reply 10 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Barriault View Post

Using Safari 6 now, a single-word query is treated as a search unless you add a .com or whathaveyou. It seems they actually thought of your exact complaint, and fixed it!

No, that's exactly what he's complaining about. Before Safari 5.2, you could just type "apple" or "appleinsider" or "whatever" into the URL bar, hit Return, and it would automatically add the ".com" and go to that website. Now it's a search.

I hate it also because before you could just use spaces in Wikipedia page names if you knew the URL already. Now if you type a space at ALL, it SEARCHES for that page, meaning you have extra clicks, which is pointless.

• Reply 11 of 21
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member

Does the new Safari still support RSS like it does in 5.x?  Early reports said they dropped RSS support, but I haven't heard any specifics of it since the Keynote yesterday.

• Reply 12 of 21
    1swift1swift Posts: 23member

In Chrome, not sure how Safari will handle it, the unified search is autofilling url's. When I type in apple it's autofilling to appleinsider.com, a few clicks down or using the mouse there is apple.com and a few other pages mentioning apple from my history/bookmarks.

I'd have to hit delete in order to run a search and not go to a URL. 

• Reply 13 of 21
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    What about system-wide AirPlay ... Will DVDs now play over AirPlay?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    1swift wrote: »
    I'd have to hit delete in order to run a search and not go to a URL. 

Yep, that's just what happens in Safari 5.2 and 6.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Yep, that's just what happens in Safari 5.2 and 6.

Then I don't see what the issue is. Seems like its the same behavior?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Then I don't see what the issue is. Seems like its the same behavior?

… We don't want that behavior.
  • Reply 17 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that's exactly what he's complaining about. Before Safari 5.2, you could just type "apple" or "appleinsider" or "whatever" into the URL bar, hit Return, and it would automatically add the ".com" and go to that website. Now it's a search.

I hate it also because before you could just use spaces in Wikipedia page names if you knew the URL already. Now if you type a space at ALL, it SEARCHES for that page, meaning you have extra clicks, which is pointless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… We don't want that behavior.

Ok going by what I see here, I'm confused. What I was trying to say is that when I type in appleinsider and hit enter, i go to appleinsider.com, as it has filled in the .com, it does not go to a google search of appleinsider? 

This is for sites that I frequent, or have been to recently but it fills in the url by default, not search by default

• Reply 18 of 21
    Ok going by what I see here, I'm confused. What I was trying to say is that when I type in appleinsider and hit enter, i go to appleinsider.com, as it has filled in the .com, it does not go to a google search of appleinsider? 

Right. And in Mountain Lion, it does not do that. It searches instead. We'd prefer the old way, but it's difficult to imagine a system that could distinguish a partial URL from a genuine search.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    el3ktroel3ktro Posts: 52member
    Right. And in Mountain Lion, it does not do that. It searches instead. We'd prefer the old way, but it's difficult to imagine a system that could distinguish a partial URL from a genuine search.

No, it's a little different.

Suppose you've never been on appleinsider.com before.

When you just enter 'appleinsider' and hit return, it'll take you to a search for appleinsider. If you then click on the search result for appleinsider.com, it takes you there.

Now the second time when you enter just 'appleinsider' in the unified bar, it autocompletes to 'appleinsider.com'. Hitting return will now take you to the site directly instead to a search page.

I think this is the way it should be.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    el3ktro wrote: »
    Suppose you've never been on appleinsider.com before.
    When you just enter 'appleinsider' and hit return, it'll take you to a search for appleinsider. If you then click on the search result for appleinsider.com, it takes you there.
    Now the second time when you enter just 'appleinsider' in the unified bar, it autocompletes to 'appleinsider.com'. Hitting return will now take you to the site directly instead to a search page.

It needs to change precedence, however. I'm sick of a URL I visited once to show up in the list before my BOOKMARKS.

And it needs to stop crashing when I open more than three tabs at once. And it needs the Activity window back. :lol: