First look at Apple's 'next generation MacBook Pro' with photos

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

I like having 3 usb ports and only one Thunderbolt. It's overkill to have 2 Thunderbolt ports and HDMI. There's no real need for that HDMI port when you can chuck in another USB port in it's place

Don't agree about the Thunderbolt, do agree about the HDMI. There's zero point to it at all.

Quote:

Having two Thunderbolt ports is stupidly redundant

Nope. Just wait. We'll either see some spectacular stuff for Thunderbolt by the end of next year or Intel will have made their biggest mistake since, what, selling off their ARM license and sticking with Itanium?

• Reply 62 of 81
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OngL View Post

Pricey.... The second option on 512GB flash similar to the price of first top-line 15" unibody back in 2008. 3k USD

Agreed. It's really disappointing that one can't get a 15-inch with 512GB SSD for less than $3K, essentially. Mid $2K would have been reasonable (e.g., the 2.3GHz  with 512).

Ugh. I am going to have to go with the 13"/2.0GHz/8GB/512GB.... it's about $750 cheaper (the retina display is of second order importance to most folks, including me).

• Reply 63 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely. I imagine they did not only because they are having trouble with its manufacturing. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Agreed. It might not be manufacturing difficulties, though. It could be manufacturing volume. I'm sure the 13" machines ship many more units than the 15" models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Or an inability to keep it as thin as the 15" while having a large enough battery to maintain the same duration as the current 13" MBP. Or because they want to focus on the 15" for now as they up sell the early adopters. Or because to make it viable they will also need to only offer the special SSD card which could make the cost difference as a percentage too high for right now.

There are lots of possibilities with this new display.

Awesome news. I hope you guys are right. I sold my 4 year old Mac Book, 2 months ago just to get a new one but I would like the 13'' model better. I wouldn't even mind if the flash storage is much lower. I am patient and have other computers to use. 

On the off chance they take forever and lets say, hypothetically, I'm in urgent need of a laptop. What would you guys recommend, the air or the upgraded mac book pro? Keep in mind the only thing I really care about is the heating problem and I have heard they both still have issues in that department.

• Reply 64 of 81
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member

It’s about as expensive here in Europe: € 2,000 even with the educational rebate (sale taxes included, though).

Even if I like the idea of a Nvidia GPU to do OpenCL computing and OpenGL work, I think I’ll wait for the next iteration: Haswell CPU with AVX2/FMA instructions.

I hope they will also bring the price to a more reasonable point. I’m looking forward to 802.11ac, at that.

• Reply 65 of 81
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    ()...the new AirPort Express is now less travelable are the only real concerns I see.

1) When they first added the Eject button they quickly updated those systems so that it requires a more deliberate press than simply slipping when going for the Delete key. I assume that has carried over and then some with it being a Power button.
    2) The upgrade to 16GB RAM is only $200. I did notice on their store that if you go for the 16GB RAM it's 3-5 days but if you stick with the basic 8GB RAM it's 5-7 days. I wonder if that's because they anticipated more will go for the up sell or that I simply failed to check it before many of the base units were already purchased.

0. One could simply use the power plug from their current AE.

1. I remember that because the Macs would turn on while the cleaning lady dusted the keyboards off in the office Apple put a timer on that power button. Perhaps this laptop doesn't have that feature as you need to open the lid first. Well, maybe they will as you can indeed accidentally hit it. But with flash storage it shuts down and turns on quickly anyway.

2. Indeed a cheap upgrade. Nothing like the $ 500 for going 512 to 768 (which is called MacBook Air storage in the Dutch Store, but these tiddybits always get corrected over the upcoming days after a 'Store closed' moment)
  • Reply 66 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Don't agree about the Thunderbolt, do agree about the HDMI. There's zero point to it at all.

There would be no point to it if Apple supports audio out on HDMI adapters. Last I heard they don't. It's annoying to switch the audio cable on my TV setup, which works fine on proper HDMI.

Some of the sites I use for video entertainment still don't work on iOS, so it's an annoyance to patch in the computer to watch them.
  • Reply 67 of 81
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member

Quote:

Originally Posted by davida View Post

Hmm, looks nice, but a step backwards in some respects. The new magsafe connector for example, what are they thinking? I'm glad they are keeping the current line of MacBook Pros, Retina display on a laptop is a waste. Non-upgradable RAM and HD, no thanks. 

Hilarious.

You must be a troll, right?

-Nano.

• Reply 68 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Looks real nice. I don't need a new laptop at the moment, but when my current one dies, I'll be picking up one of these new macbook pros for sure.

Regarding the 17", screw the 17"! I'm glad that they killed it. I've always hated 17" laptops, they're not portable and they're really ugly. They also never sold that many of them, compared to the other models. So, anybody who likes or wants a 17" is in the extreme minority, and you are part of a microscopic market segment that just doesn't matter. So in conclusion, screw the 17". 

you've obviously never used a high end application...... otherwise you wouldn't make so many uninformed remarks in one post

• Reply 69 of 81
    shock meshock me Posts: 56member

I suspect there are two Thunderbolt ports for those poor bastards that still need a wired ethernet connection (unless you can use the adapter to plug it into the back of a Thunderbolt Raid array daisey chain style.

• Reply 70 of 81
    Marvin wrote: »
    Not being able to upgrade RAM or SSD after buying isn't too good. If you find the 8GB RAM isn't enough, you have to get a new machine and you won't benefit from SSD prices dropping. It had to come eventually I guess and Apple can make it more reliable this way but if your laptop dies, there's no way to get your data off your machine.

There is actually. I saw an external 2.5" case with a Macbook Air flash drive adapter included:

http://blog.macsales.com/12378-owc-announces-two-enclosure-solutions-for-continued-use-of-apple-macbook-air-solid-state-drive-as-an-external-drive

Am I the only one who prefers the old T-style Magsafe ? I find the new L-Style one incredibly fidly and the old one was much easier to attach from a distance - it just snapped into place more easily.

Just ordered a new Retina MBP and really looking forward to it. No RAM upgrade is kind of bad, so i just went for 16Gb, which should be enough for quite a while to come. Im using an old MBP with 2Gb of RAM with Lion, running InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop with big files at the same time. I wouldnt call it quick, but it works - so i cant see myself needing more in the next 5 years. The current model i have is almost 10 years old and the minimum RAM needed in OS X has not increased dramatically since then.

Now if only i didnt have to wait 2-3 weeks.. :|
  • Reply 71 of 81
    cabassicabassi Posts: 28member
    Looks like there's no audio input port. Not great for my podcasting. I guess they make USB dongles, right? Ugh.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    There would be no point to it if Apple supports audio out on HDMI adapters. Last I heard they don't. It's annoying to switch the audio cable on my TV setup, which works fine on proper HDMI.
    Some of the sites I use for video entertainment still don't work on iOS, so it's an annoyance to patch in the computer to watch them.

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong but Apple promotes the Moshi Mini-DP to HDMI adapter on their site. It reads:
    he Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter lets you connect to a display or HDTV that uses an HDMI connector. It supports full HD video display at 1080p (1920 by 1080), as well as HDMI audio pass-through. Compatible with Mac computers with Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt ports.

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong but that tells me that audio is fully supported though that adapter. Now there could be an issue with the level of audio channels and such that are beyond my ken but that is for someone else to research.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabassi View Post

Looks like there's no audio input port. Not great for my podcasting. I guess they make USB dongles, right? Ugh.

Yes, they do, and they make Bluetooth audio devices as well that can be used for audio input.  I guess it all depends on if you need to keep your old equipment or not what route you take.

• Reply 74 of 81
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

Some people said the Flash memory was soldered to the motherboard but looking at a higher resolution image, it seems it's still using mSATA. It's a different shape from the MBA drive so it won't fit some MBA enclosures (edit: looks like the OWC one should work though as it's wider) but it's deinitely using an mSATA port and has a screw holding it in place so yeah, there will likely be upgrades from OWC etc and a way to remove the drive to get data off it:

• Reply 75 of 81

Linking the addition of the card reader and HDMI but the removal of an Ethernet socket is a few years premature.  My current company uses the current crop of MBPs and they are all connected to the network via Ethernet cables.  Everywhere I've worked mainly use Ethernet not Wi-Fi, because I typically work in an "Office" environment and not in a "Starbucks".

• Reply 76 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm sorry if I ruin this for everyone else, but I can't unsee the angry face in the new MacBook Pro…

• Reply 77 of 81
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Quote:

Nope. Just wait. We'll either see some spectacular stuff for Thunderbolt by the end of next year or Intel will have made their biggest mistake since, what, selling off their ARM license and sticking with Itanium?

Again, and I don't understand why you and other keep rigidly support this crap, why should I have a port that I can't use for another 12 months versus one I can use now? Especially one that everyone here was verbally fellating it's usefulness because of daisy-chaining devices together. People need to make up their fucking minds. Either Thunderbolt is great because it can daisy chain versus USB3, or that you need two ports because some mystery device in 18 months is going to make you wish you have two TB ports. You can't have your cake and eat it too. With nothing useful out for Thunderbolt, and by your prediction that anything useful won't be around for another 12 months, having two Thunderbolt ports is stupidly redundant. They need to ditch that useless extra Thunderbolt port and put another USB3 port in there.

• Reply 78 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

…why should I have a port that I can't use for another 12 months versus one I can use now?

Because you can use both now. I'm sorry you don't see the point in more than one port. I'm sure you complain about the Mac Pro and how it has four FireWire 800, too.

• Reply 79 of 81
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Quote:

Because you can use both now. I'm sorry you don't see the point in more than one port. I'm sure you complain about the Mac Pro and how it has four FireWire 800, too.

Why would I? It can daisy chain, it was designed to be the "one" cable you had to plu in, people around here salivate at how it's so great because it can daisy chain like its dying on the vine cousin FW, and I don't need to use them both and most likely no one else will in significant numbers. What would you use both for? I'm sorry you miss the point that there are far more use cases for another USB 3 port than TB. This is a pro machine, but the non-awesome display machine has the same port number and layout. There's simply less use for an extra TB port versus another USB 3 port. I'm also sorry you're too dense to make a comparable....comparison. The Mac Pro is a huge desktop with plenty of room for 4 FW ports and another dozen or so if Apple wanted to include them. The 15" MacBook Pro does not have that luxury. How is that even remotely relevant again?

• Reply 80 of 81
    shock meshock me Posts: 56member

If the port were on the same bus I might agree. Does anyone know if these Thunderbolt ports have separate data busses?