Nine auto makers partner with Apple for 'Eyes Free' Siri support

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isidore View Post

Hang on a second, doesn't using Siri mean connecting to Apple's server farm in the US? Why should I want to send my location data and other personal information to the US?

A lot of entitiest already know your location. There are traffic cameras everwhere that can read your license plate. "Find my iPhone" already tracks your location. So does Google whenever you use their maps or Latitude. Toll plazas that use RFID know when you go through. 

• Reply 42 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Exactly! What's wrong with the idea of Siri just always being listening when the screen is on?

Battery use of the device and constant sending data to and from Siri's servers to listen to anything and everything when you have the screen on. Remember that it's not processed locally so the device is dumb when it comes to understand what is a command and what is not. How would it even know when there is someone talking next to you and sending that to Siri?

Eventually I expect that to happen but there are so many other things that need to be worked out first that such a system seems very far off.
  • Reply 43 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Ford should be rethinking or at least considering moving away from solely using MS's sync platform.  I rented a focus zip car yesterday and was amazed at how difficult it was to connect and use my iP4S.  Even my son said it should just work like connecting an iPhone to a computer - and it doesn't.

Android might be the dominant platform volume-wise, but Apple really is the one to be able to pull off automobile integration.  MS has done itself no favors with the issues that Ford is having and given Android fragmentation, I don't see Google convincing automakers to sign on with whatever they are working on, if anything.

DATELINE: Chicago. A multi-vehicle accident on Lakeshore Drive yesterday was caused by a Ford driver trying to get his joke-of-a-Microsoft-phone to work in his car while driving. He told investigators that the MS sync interface was not working right and he was trying to figure it out. This hands-free feature is most important to Ford truck drivers since they like to keep one had free to hold their beer.

• Reply 44 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Exactly! What's wrong with the idea of Siri just always being listening when the screen is on?

A lot of men would rather be away from having a women add her two cents whenever he says something.

• Reply 45 of 66
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Lamborghini just released a gold plated/alligator skin Gingerbread Android phone that is so hideous that only drug cartel leaders with no taste will buy it. Do a search to find a photo... this thing is U-G-L-Y !

That is hilarious. Fugliest thing Ive seen for a looong time. As cool as this little $12,000.- office number. 

Modern-Office-Desk.jpg

• Reply 46 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

No Ford. With MS's Sync, that's no surprise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is a great next step. I'm glad to see that more commands were added to Siri but I was honestly expecting more yesterday.

PS: The irony will be that Apple is changing the 30pin dock connector and hasn't told any of the auto-makers¡ (was making a joke that apparently didn't work)

Nice catch. I think you're right. I wonder if their contract with MS prevents them or if they are just so happy to be with MS. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Given that we're talking Bluetooth integration here, does that really matter? All the dock connector needs to do is provide power.

My lease is up in 14 months, so this is good. I have a CR-V now, and am happy with it, but have really been looking at the new 2013 Ford Escape. All things being equal between them though next summer? The Honda has built in support for my iPhone and the Ford does not (aside from the pair via BT, that works well enough, but would require a driver to reach for the phone as opposed to the steering wheel) - I'll just get another CR-V.

And I don't think it is going to be just BT. My CR-V now is a USB port. So regardless if Apple changes the dock connector, it will be a matter of replacing the cord I have in there today. My iPhone can be controlled from my radio now, as a click wheel style iPod. Third party apps also play just fine, many displaying the information, just losing the controls. 

Can't wait for this to move forward.

• Reply 47 of 66
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Given that we're talking Bluetooth integration here, does that really matter? All the dock connector needs to do is provide power.

the big difference is that, with regard to Siri (as well as phone calls), you will now have in essence a second iPhone/iPad Home button right there on your steering wheel. that is the one crucial UI element that today's auto bluetooth setups don't have. 

• Reply 48 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Lamborghini just released a gold plated/alligator skin Gingerbread Android phone that is so hideous that only drug cartel leaders with no taste will buy it. Do a search to find a photo... this thing is U-G-L-Y !

They may make some moderately pretty cars, but they don't have a clue how to make phones… 

Lamborghini-luxury-phones.jpg

Lamborghini-TL700-Luxury-Android.jpg

• Reply 49 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

From what I have seen, the distractions are of different kinds, and one requires a different type of attention than the other.   

doing anything in a car except driving is a "distraction." talking to a passenger even (esp. if upset). looking at the map in your nav unit. certainly fiddling with your radio/CD player. they all add some risk, if you happen to encounter a sudden driving hazard at that particular moment.

some/many of these things Siri could certainly make less distracting. i suppose someone could over-do it somehow, but overall i think it will be a safer option.

• Reply 50 of 66

IMHO, this may have been the most important announcement at WWDC. in essence, Apple has gotten a large % of the world's auto makes to agree to hardwire direct access to the Apple ecosystem into their cars.

and why not your house too? you just leave your iPhone in its dock. all you'd need are stick-on bluetooth battery-powered units with a button and small mic/speaker. put one on the frig, another in the bathroom, wherever. or how about in your wristwatch or clock? or any portable speakers? or any appliance?

maybe this will be in the next gen Nano.

• Reply 51 of 66
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

Hopefully they change that.  I love my ford, and I like sync. But this would be much better.  If they don't have "Eyes Free" in the next couple of years, might go back to GM!

I like Ford's cap less gas tanks, Sync, and keypad locking system. With that said, the Chevy Volt is a nice car. Before seeing the Volt, I wouldn't give a GM vehicle a single look (especially since they killed Saturn). I agree Ford needs to get on board.

• Reply 52 of 66
    kit_ckit_c Posts: 16member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastermason View Post

Audi is on board....I wonder if Volkswagen will also sign-up.

And Porsche, though they are usually 10 years behind the industry when it comes to telematics.

• Reply 53 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird View Post

My lease is up in 14 months, so this is good. I have a CR-V now, and am happy with it, but have really been looking at the new 2013 Ford Escape. All things being equal between them though next summer? The Honda has built in support for my iPhone and the Ford does not (aside from the pair via BT, that works well enough, but would require a driver to reach for the phone as opposed to the steering wheel) - I'll just get another CR-V.

And I don't think it is going to be just BT. My CR-V now is a USB port. So regardless if Apple changes the dock connector, it will be a matter of replacing the cord I have in there today. My iPhone can be controlled from my radio now, as a click wheel style iPod. Third party apps also play just fine, many displaying the information, just losing the controls. 

Can't wait for this to move forward.

The new Ford Escape is beautiful. On the current Ford Escape,  you can tell sync to make phone calls, and play music stored on the phone. Further, you can access text messages amongst other things. You can activate this via the steering wheel or the dash. I can only assume that will not change for the worst on the new model. Sync is a very nice feature. The escape alos has a built in USB port along with a standard audio port. With that said, allowing people to access Siri directly via the steering wheel would be nice. If automakers allow Siri to control some functionality to the vehicle that would even be cooler (for instance, Siri turn up the heat).

• Reply 54 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit_C View Post

And Porsche, though they are usually 10 years behind the industry when it comes to telematics.

I have a Volkswagen Jetta. Volkswagen makes very well performing cars, and the interiors are top notch. However, Volkswagen is behind the times with phone integration.

• Reply 55 of 66

Quote:

DATELINE: Chicago. A multi-vehicle accident on Lakeshore Drive yesterday was caused by a Ford driver trying to get his joke-of-a-Microsoft-phone to work in his car while driving. He told investigators that the MS sync interface was not working right and he was trying to figure it out. This hands-free feature is most important to Ford truck drivers since they like to keep one had free to hold their beer.

Ford vehicles will not allow Sync to be set up while driving.

• Reply 56 of 66
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    This hands-free feature is most important to Ford truck drivers since they like to keep one had free to hold their beer.
    Total B.S.
    The Ford truck I drive for work has 4 cup holders within easy reach of the driver.
  • Reply 57 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

... and how is that different from say, having a conversation with someone sitting in the back seat of the car as you drove? Research would probably indicate that that is a distraction too, but no worse.

I've heard of research, though not read it myself, that says it takes more brain power to understand someone on a phone than when you're in the same room as them. The reasons being the lack of visual cues require extra attention to their tone etc. When you're talking to them you can't see how they are reacting and they don't pause the conversation when you've got to make a tricky driving maneuver. So yeah, phones are a worse distraction than people in the car, except that you can turn a phone off but can't dose your kids with sleeping pills :-)

• Reply 58 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I've heard of research, though not read it myself, that says it takes more brain power to understand someone on a phone than when you're in the same room as them. The reasons being the lack of visual cues require extra attention to their tone etc. When you're talking to them you can't see how they are reacting and they don't pause the conversation when you've got to make a tricky driving maneuver. So yeah, phones are a worse distraction than people in the car, except that you can turn a phone off but can't dose your kids with sleeping pills :-)

Fantastic, well founded, post. Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Yeah, I can see how talking to someone on the phone would be more distracting than having to look at the person sitting next to you while you drive to get their visual clues. /s
  • Reply 60 of 66
    rfrmacrfrmac Posts: 89member
    I love Ford cars. I own three of them right now. My only disappointment has been the Microsoft Sync product. Ford knows they have a problem here. Ford, time for you to make the smart decision and go with SIRI. You can't afford to be left behind on this one. I don't care what Microsoft is telling you, please listen to the people that buy and drive your cars.