Shipping time for new Retina display MacBook Pro slips to 2-3 weeks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    bryanlbryanl Posts: 67member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

You are kidding, right?

When Lion was released, its version of XCode made it a difficult developer for some developers who relied on the compiler tool chain. Hopefully this transition will be more seamless.

• Reply 42 of 59
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panu View Post

My experience is that a built-to-order machine comes faster than a stock configuration. In 2008, Apple announced a new iMac. I ordered one with an upgraded hard disk. The order acknowledgement said it would be delivered in three weeks. I ordered it on Friday and it arrived on Tuesday!

They probably have to pull a machine out of line, modify it to match your order, then there's no point in not sending it right away. If you change glad to happy, my guess is that it will much much faster.

I hope you're right.  I'm in the June 21-25th bracket and I opted for 16GB ram.  Don't know how some are showing June 14th!

I was happy to see in the tech specs that it can drive 2 external displays in addition to its own.  I was really hoping for that feature so I can use it as my primary desktop and laptop.  I couldn't find information anywhere about what is needed for the 2 external displays, I assume it's either 2 thunderbolt to DVI cables, or 1 TB-DVI and 1 HDMI-DVI.  I tried calling the Apple sales number and they were completely dumfounded about my question, even after checking with their "mac experts" department.  Geez, it's not that hard to understand and it's an advertised feature on the site.  

• Reply 43 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I bought Lion straight from the last Developer Preview thereof.

Ok, good to know. I was suspecting the app store might not offer the purchase if it saw ML already running.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

As excited as I am about this machine, it's a v1 machine. I'll wait until it ships full of Mountain Lion goodness, just in case.

• Reply 45 of 59
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    This goes to prove that people have been clamoring for an HDMI connector on their MBPs.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

This goes to prove that people have been clamoring for an HDMI connector on their MBPs.

No, that's not proof of anything.

• Reply 47 of 59
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member

So  the question is: Are they sold out due to limited supply of components? Or due to unanticipated demand?

jmmx

http://50CentFlash.com/ - extraordinary short fiction

• Reply 48 of 59
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member

What I was really hoping for was a 13" Retina Mac.  Basically, the new Mac Pro, but with a 13" screen.  The Air is fine, but will become underpowered in a couple years.  I want a portable computer that will last five years.  The 15 is a little too big for my needs, so I am torn about which one to get.

• Reply 49 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    isheldon wrote: »

By your logic when Apple added Thunderbolt that "goes to prove people have been clamoring for" Thunderbolt for their MBP" even though it was an unknown tech before it was released last year... and when Apple added a second Thunderbolt port to the new MBPs that "goes to prove people have been clamoring for" two Thunderbolt for their MBPs... and by getting rid of the Ethernet and FireWire ports that proves that people wanted them gone... and by only including two USB ports that proves that three USB ports would have been excessive... and by changing the MagSafe adapter that proves that people wanted it to be shaped lightly different... and by soldering the RAM to the logic board that proves that people didn't want user-replacable RAM.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Why is it so difficult for people to grasp how Mac OS uses retina screens. This is not a smaller screen it is very much a 15" screen. The pixels are there to make things sharper not smaller.

For pixel to pixel uses such as images you have pinch to zoom if things are too small on screen.
    djrumpy wrote: »
    Agree. Not sure where I'm going to find laptops now as I have no interest in a smaller 15" screen. Simply adding more pixels does nothing if the information must be blown up due to the higher resolution to make it read-able. The end result is still the same where a comparable sized image on the screen has two less inches of screen space to work with.
    I just can't see switching out my current inventory of 17" laptops for iMac's either. Now we have no option for larger displays except for costly and non-mobile external options.
    Not all of use our interested in how 'thin' our laptop is.
    Bad call...

Well I'm not interested in how thin a laptop is either, however I can see that this laptop is a bleeding edge machine technology wise and should be an excellent performer. For many users it will be an excellent investment.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That is my take, the machine is a bargain.
    applegreen wrote: »
    This is not surprising at all.  If you do an apples-to-apples (how do you like that?) price comparison of the old-style 15 MBPro and the Retina 15 Pro, the Retina 15 Pro is cheaper !!  That's amazing.
    Not only sheaper but likely a better performer. I say "likely" because we have yet to see real world testing but I have to beleive this machine will do very well. Hopefully thermal throttling is not a huge problem.
    Take the 2.6Ghz model.  With 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, the old-style Pro comes to $3,099.  The Retina Pro is priced at $2,799.  With the exception of the display, all key specs are the same (not counting number of ports).  In other words, if you go for the Retina Pro, you get a much better display than the standard display on the old-style Pro, and you save $300.  The same thing is also true of the low-end Retina Pro.  That is some pricing strategy!!  There will be huge demand.  No wonder the shipping time is slipping.
    Yep huge demand, it will likely remain sold out for weeks.
    My conclusion is that Cook and Schiller want to make the Retina Pro so attractive, compared to other MacBook Pros (and PC notebooks), that it sells in huge volumes thus driving down manufacturing costs, particularly of the Retina display.
    By the looks of it they have already driven down costs. I'm waiting for a tear down on the net (what is taking so long) but from what I've seen so far this ought to be an easy machine to actually build. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it is cheaper to make than the traditional MBPs.

I think that after a couple more iterations, we may only have one line of MacBooks - Retina Pros (with no ODD or HDD).  If they can get the price of a 13 Retina Pro to $1,199, there will be no reason to keep the old-style Pros.  My guess is that they will eventually bring back the 17.

It will be very hard for the likes of HP and Dell to compete.

Actually I can see the old machines still selling well as they are a bit more flexible. It is the same logic as the 13" MBP some people simply need features not in the AIRs. Generally that is bulk storage and faster chips. This machine though throws a monkey wrench into the faster chip arguements.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelal View Post

I was very disappointed to see that Apple did not release a 15 inch version of the MacBook Air. I already have a 13 inch version but I really thought the 15 inch version would be easier to use were those of us with eyesight problems. I hope Apple considers it in the future.

I expected a 15 Air as well - and I still do eventually.  I was also mildly surprised by the new/old MBP's as well and at first thought Apple had really expanded their number of SKU's - thinking, wow, they now have three lines of notebooks - which, they kind of do - but the number of models didn't change it at all - old 17" pro, buh-bye, new/new Retina 15" pro, hello.  And the rest go forward.  

By next year the price of retina components will drop even as the size range increases and SSD's in larger sizes will also be cheaper, while 811ac, LTE and other ways of connecting to the net in more places will be more ubiquitous, the behavior of iCloud and other web-based storage/sharing/collaboration services will be more established - and the places occupied in Apple's product lineup by the 2012 "new oldies" will be able to be taken by new devices as we leave the age of HDD/ODD machines behind - whether that's in 2013 or '14.  

I also disagree with the "convergence" to one line crowd - there are significant differences between Pro and general consumer needs, and Apple's made a statement it's NOT abandoning the former here as many have speculated.  The Air is already overspecced for the facebooking and tweeting crowd, but way underspecced for the pro in the field - and not all the gaps are bridgeable with a range of BTO's on one M.Board and chassis.  

So I'm sure a 15" MBA level machine has already been at least multiply prototyped.  And think 17" Mac notebooks may not be gone forever.  Bottom line, my "anal-lyst" instincts tell me about five or six distinct notebooks, i.e., 2 or 3 Airs and and 2 or 3 Pros will continue to be offered by Apple.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

No, it proves that Apple feels this is a strategic connector to add that will add value to their MBP's for users as Apple defines how devices can be used.  I'm sure Apple reads their mail - watches sales trends of other companies and maybe even has lowly types sifting through our words on forums like these - but they don't focus group products nor add features SIMPLY because others have and they're "falling behind" on "checklist" items that low-level geek wannabes focus on.  Rather, the decision to add a feature begins with its having a genuine use case, and then that use sells product, rather than slapping it on because it can be publicized or "seems" like something worth having. It's what makes them a leader even when they're not first to a feature party.  

So not, "Look, we have HDMI too now!" rather "Our new HDMI port will allow you to....."  Otherwise the company would've either added Blu-Ray years ago or have been badly punished by consumers for not doing so.  And the first didn't happen, and by nearly all indications, while it may have tipped a few people, neither did the latter.  And meanwhile, Blu-Ray is at best holding its own and more likely on the path to being another legacy technology along with nearly all physical meda.  Similarly Apple didn't feel compelled to slap on a USB 3.0 port until it became a built-in Intel system component, though they could have.  Nor to add turn-by-turn directions until they could roll out their mapping and enhanced Siri features.  

And with that you may all intone the "skating to where the puck is going to be" tagline (in unison, now, on one, two, three.....) and then move to the next erudite AI post to further enrich your day......

• Reply 53 of 59
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

As excited as I am about this machine, it's a v1 machine. I'll wait until it ships full of Mountain Lion goodness, just in case.

I have no fear buying it.  It'll be my 4th v1 machine from Apple, and its all been good before... to me it seems a myth all these people saying don't by the first version.

• Reply 54 of 59
    ewanewan Posts: 36member

It's a shame Apple didn't update the 13 inch models of the Macbook Pros but I guess they have a lot of extra old unibodies to get rid off. I'll wait till next Summer for the 13 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 15 inch is just way too big.

• Reply 55 of 59
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member

Where is audio line in in new Retina 15"? How do we record stuff?

• Reply 56 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    aegean wrote: »
    Where is audio line in in new Retina 15"? How do we record stuff?

The audio jack is both in and out, analog and optical. If you are using it for audio in you obviously can't use it for audio out until you have a splitter with the right pinout, or you have a USB dongle for one or the other.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

It's a shame Apple didn't update the 13 inch models of the Macbook Pros but I guess they have a lot of extra old unibodies to get rid off. I'll wait till next Summer for the 13 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 15 inch is just way too big.

Rumors has it, before WWDC, that the 13" will get updated with Retina sometime in October.  Alongside the iPhone release???

• Reply 58 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Rumors has it, before WWDC, that the 13" will get updated with Retina sometime in October.

Uh, what rumors? Someone saying it doesn't make it a rumor.

Quote:

Alongside the iPhone release???

Not a freaking chance. The iPhone event is the iPhone event. image

• Reply 59 of 59
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Uh, what rumors? Someone saying it doesn't make it a rumor.

Sure it does.

Just not a very believable rumor.