Apple to kill Ping with next major iTunes release

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I am willing to bet that less than 8 people use Ping.

I'm one of them.

Thing is that Ping has an advantage over every other social media platform in that you could easily keep track of the bands you want to follow. You simply cannot do that with Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and the like. You'd have to find the band's webpage, see if they have a Facebook, Twitter, MySpace page or try to find the legit site on your own... good freaking luck on that.

With Ping you go to the band's iTunes page and if they have a Ping connection you can follow them. It is so freaking easy.

I guess now that there is more interaction on the way with Twitter and Facebook this might change with an integration in iTunes so you don't have to move out of the application but we don't know.

Personally I'd actually hate to see it go if there is going to be nothing to replace the ease of finding.

• Reply 22 of 54
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Then why's everyone whining about iDisk being taken away?

Because this is AI, and all we do is whine, remember? (Posting from my iPad, so I can't display any emoticons).
  • Reply 23 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Because this is AI, and all we do is whine, remember? (Posting from my iPad, so I can't display any emoticons).

Don't worry; they're all broken, anyway. image

• Reply 24 of 54
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by moooooser View Post

Thank God!  I hate Ping.  

How can you hate something that does nothing?

I tried to favorite/like something on Ping last week and it wouldn't let me 'cos it wasn't available in the iTunes store. Ping does nothing.

• Reply 25 of 54
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What a POS offering from Apple. Ranks right up here with Dotmac, MobileMe, iDisk, etc.

Apple should be embarrassed.

I'm sure you're perfect.

• Reply 26 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then why's everyone whining about iDisk being taken away? I could have sworn everyone loved it.

Never mind people liking .Mac… 

The issue I had with idisk was it was so god damn slow it was basically unusable. That being said, I think its sad iCloud doesn't offer sound kind of cloud disk feature, something like Dropbox. 

• Reply 27 of 54
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member

Good riddance.  Ping was just garbage filling up my screen.  I never Pinged a damn thing nor care if anyone else ever did.

• Reply 28 of 54
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

What's 'Ping'???

(>_<)

• Reply 29 of 54
    6ryph3n6ryph3n Posts: 53member
    If they launched a subscription music service Ping could actually be useful. One of my biggest complaints about Spotify is that it sucks for music discovery, and that's should be one of its strengths given its social media ties. 10 years ago Steve Jobs was right... people wanted to own their music, not rent it. The market has changed now though. The iPod has become the iPhone and everyone has 3G and iCloud, so a subscription service is far more practical than it used to be.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Well I think Apple realized that Facebook and Twitter integration kind of makes up for it. A lot of artists have both accounts and you can follow them there, no need for a third place. Apple is best at software and hardware, not at some consumer oriented networks and web-based systems. I just hope they fix and make iCloud web-version right.

• Reply 31 of 54
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member

That's an interesting point about Facebook integration. I'll think twice before I'll let my daughter play with the iphone or ipad. Who knows what she'll share on Facebook. By the way, I don't even use Twitter integration.

• Reply 32 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galley View Post

They should've integrated Last.fm, instead.

If this was really about "music discovery" then that makes sense. I don't think this has anything to do with discovery at all, just more ways to track our data.

• Reply 33 of 54
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

I actually check Ping every day.  Rate songs, make playlists, see what friends have bought (or liked) and follow bands.  Sure it's very basic, but I've definitely discovered some new music from Ping and have generally enjoyed the experience.  I'll be bummed to see it go as there is nothing out there to replace it for sharing and discovering new music.

I was always hoping it would expand to incorporate all the other media in the the iTunes Store.

• Reply 34 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Poor Ping. Everybody knew he was holding up the production line, with that bum hand of his, but sometimes Tim just goes too far.

• Reply 35 of 54
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    dillio wrote: »
    That's an interesting point about Facebook integration. I'll think twice before I'll let my daughter play with the iphone or ipad. Who knows what she'll share on Facebook. By the way, I don't even use Twitter integration.

ah, yes fathers.... the burka for the mind... /facetious
  • Reply 36 of 54
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    gtr wrote: »
    What's 'Ping'???

(>_<)

Beat me to it!!
  • Reply 37 of 54
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Ping Pong

Nothing more need be said.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    shaoshao Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Please, iTunes is lean compared to many other apps.  It's got a small footprint and doesn't hog resources. 

ROFL - you clearly have no fucking clue what you're talking about. iTunes is universally hated. It's a means to an end, not something anyone enjoys using. 

• Reply 39 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by shao View Post

iTunes is universally hated. It's a means to an end, not something anyone enjoys using. 

I find it humorous that you think you can speak for me. Or anyone, really.

• Reply 40 of 54
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Thing is that Ping has an advantage over every other social media platform in that you could easily keep track of the bands you want to follow. You simply cannot do that with Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and the like. You'd have to find the band's webpage, see if they have a Facebook, Twitter, MySpace page or try to find the legit site on your own... good freaking luck on that.

I could see that perhaps being a little difficult for obscure bands but even then, it seems like it's little more than a search away. I think the best thing Apple could do is bring the features of Ping to Twitter e.g TwiTunes - icon is the bird with the iTunes musical note. Bands would simply tweet that they have a new album or single with an embedded iTunes preview. Then followers can click on it to buy the song. Instead of the Ping links in iTunes, Apple could allow bands to put links to their social networks so that it is easy to follow them.

Music alone is not enough to sustain a social network when other social networks don't specify a subject matter.