Verizon to launch shared data plans on June 28

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
America's largest wireless carrier by subscribers Verizon has announced that it will be initiating shared data plans later this month, making it the first of the "big-three" U.S. telecoms to offer such a program.

Verizon announced the new "Share Everything" option on Tuesday, which includes unlimited talk, text and tiered shared data plans for both smartphones and tablets as well as data-only plans, is slated to start on June 28.

Up to ten devices can share data under the new plan with varying pricing for device type. For example, line access for a smartphone like Apple's iPhone is $40 per month while a tablet adds on $10. Mobile hotspots are also included in the Share Anything plan and can be added for an additional $20 per month.

The carrier is introducing a number of new data tiers to its existing one-line offerings, and shared data users can now select one of six levels ranging from $50 per month for 1GB of bandwidth to $100 per month for 10GB. Data overage is still in place and looks to be $15 per gigabyte across the board but users can opt to up their data plans in 2GB intervals before reaching their limit.

As an example, Verizon offers a $180 access plan that includes two smartphones at $40 each, one feature phone at $30 and 4GB worth of shared data which carries a cost of $70 per month.

Data-only customers have four tiers to work with starting at $30 per month for 4GB and topping out at $60 per month for 10GB. Mobile hotspots and tablets with mobile hotspot functionality are included in this pricing model.

The new Share Anything plan is a step in the direction of what many believe is the future of wireless in the U.S. In an early June report, AT&T chief executive Randall Stephenson said that his company was also working on rolling out a shared data plan, though that plan has been in the works for over a year.

Share Anything
Verizon's new Share Anything plan outlined on the company's website. | Source: Verizon

Verizon was recently the target of a media blitz when CFO Fran Shammo said "when [customers] migrate off 3G they will have to go to data share," which caused a fracas because many thought the company would forcibly move unlimited data users to more profitable tiered pricing. The issue was quickly clarified in a Verizon statement that said only customers who choose to take carrier subsidies when upgrading to another smartphone will be forced out of out of their unlimited plans. In either case, it is clear that the telecom is pushing for tiered pricing, a trend that has become increasingly popular as wireless providers acknowledge the profitability of soaring data use.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If the next iPhone has LTE and this sharing plan can be used with the iPad then I think I'll be jumping to Verizon.
  • Reply 2 of 34

The ipad is supported however the pricing is a complete rip off unless you use a lot of minutes.  they charge you between 50 and 100 a month for the data plan and then $40 a month for each iphone including primary and 10 a month for each ipad.

• Reply 3 of 34
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    How is this a good thing for consumers? For me to use the same amount of minutes and data, I'd be paying $100 more a month for 2 iPhones. This is a scam. Make it $50/10GB and it'll be a fair deal. Starting at $50 for a single GB? I mean, do they think that's acceptable???
    Just as important: Telcos are killing LTE before it even becomes mainstream. And it's not even good LTE at that.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member

Complete garbage. I will not buy an iPhone until it comes to T-Mobile prepaid. I only pay for the minutes I use. The most I pay is $30 a month with texts and minutes left over. I can wait for data use until I get to a location with wifi, or I can use my iPad's LTE connection, which is an additional $20 a month, but I would still be paying only $50. Why do you people pay $90,100, 150, 200 a month for service that is equal to a developing nation? 

• Reply 5 of 34
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T and asked them if I would be kicked off my grandfathered data plan when I upgrade to my next iPhone and they said NO.  Since I'm considering switching to Windows Phone, I asked if that only applied to iPhones and they said it applied to any of their phones, including 4G.  So that's pretty cool of them.

Any of you have Sprint?  They're the best deal in town right now and I'm considering them for my next contract.

• Reply 6 of 34
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Pricing is fukking horrible.  I have an iPhone & iPad.. to have both devices share 1GB of data would be $100 a month.  $100 fukking dollars a month for 1GB of data?!?!?!?!

Who gives a damn about unlimited talk & text.  I can do both of those things for free with just the data connection.

• Reply 7 of 34
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If the next iPhone has LTE and this sharing plan can be used with the iPad then I think I'll be jumping to Verizon.

$110 for unlimited talk/text plus 10GBs of data between iPhone and iPad is pretty good.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Daekwan wrote: »
    Pricing is fukking horrible.  I have an iPhone & iPad.. to have both devices share 1GB of data would be $100 a month.  $100 fukking dollars a month for 1GB of data?!?!?!?!

Who gives a damn about unlimited talk & text.  I can do both of those things for free with just the data connection.

Huh? 1GB is $50, for $100 you get 10GBs and for an additional $10 you can add your iPad.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

$110 for unlimited talk/text plus 10GBs of data between iPhone and iPad is pretty good.

Where do you get that?

10GB of data $100 + iPhone $40 + iPad $10 or $150.00/mo.

Add another iPhone add another $40.00 (per device) or $30.00 for feature phone.

Then there are the taxes and fees?  What's that?  $10, $15 or $20 more?

• Reply 10 of 34
    rot'napple wrote: »
    Where do you get that?

10GB of data $100 + iPhone $40 + iPad $10 or $150.00/mo.

Add another iPhone add another $40.00 (per device) or $30.00 for feature phone.

Then there are the taxes and fees?  What's that?  $10, $15 or $20 more?

The first iPhone is included any additional smartphone is $40. Right now I'm paying just under $200 for 2 smartphones and we're sharing 1400 mins, under this plan I'd pay $140, a savings of $60 a month.

Edit: I was mistaken. It is $40 per iPhone/smartphone. It'd still be $20 cheaper for me per month.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Verizon related topic /

I have had FiOS since the day it was available and it has always been flawless. About six weeks ago it started failing for several hours at a time. THis happens several times a day. We have had a new ONT and a new modem all to no avail. I recently read on June 17th they are doubling the speeds. Forgive me for suspecting a connection here. Today it's gone down three times so far. I look forward to the speed increases and appreciate there is probably a lot of hardware to swap out but it would be really nice if Verizon admitted they are replacing masses of hardware and give us all a months rebate for the month from hell. Not to mention wasting their own technician's time trouble shooting and exchanging hardware.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    synergisynergi Posts: 32member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I agree. Most of us know we can get by without a cell phone plan. The cell companies force us to take one then gives us less data for MORE money. If people pay it they will charge it. Right now I'm on my iPad, 1gb for 20 bucks and I just make calls on that through Skype when I'm out. Ditched my cell phone and saved myself 80-100 bucks a month. These new pricing plans are just a rip off as well as the old one unless you have unlimited data.

• Reply 13 of 34
    rodentrodent Posts: 49member
    Walmart has a cheap everything plan 45 bucks a month after you buy the phone..Sir Richards Virgin has a all everything plan. Verizon can kiss my ass and take their crap else wear. Time to boycott Verizon
    All McDonalds, Starbucks, Safeways have FREE wifi. I park my motor home in the McDonald 's parking lot buy a coffee and sit at my kitchen table with my IPad,iPod, and MacBook all on the FREE wifi.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    oglybogly wrote: »
    The ipad is supported however the pricing is a complete rip off unless you use a lot of minutes.  they charge you between 50 and 100 a month for the data plan and then $40 a month for each iphone including primary and 10 a month for each ipad.

Or save $10/month (and $129 on the purchase) and get a WiFi iPad and use the included hot spot feature on the iPhone.
    synergi wrote: »
    I agree. Most of us know we can get by without a cell phone plan. The cell companies force us to take one then gives us less data for MORE money. If people pay it they will charge it. Right now I'm on my iPad, 1gb for 20 bucks and I just make calls on that through Skype when I'm out. Ditched my cell phone and saved myself 80-100 bucks a month. These new pricing plans are just a rip off as well as the old one unless you have unlimited data.

They are forcing unlimited talk & text - When they ADMIT that these are the two of the three services that use is declining! Ugh. They really missed an opportunity. Then again, they are basically setting it up that if you want a subsidized upgrade? This is what you're getting.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    rodent wrote: »
    Walmart has a cheap everything plan 45 bucks a month after you buy the phone..Sir Richards Virgin has a all everything plan. Verizon can kiss my ass and take their crap else wear. Time to boycott Verizon

I am considering that, too. Virgin have LTE yet?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You guys are getting hosed if you think that's a good price. I pay a lot less than that, and I get unlimited data, tethering, and long distance too.

• Reply 17 of 34
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

You guys are getting hosed if you think that's a good price. I pay a lot less than that, and I get unlimited data, tethering, and long distance too.

If this true and you aren't just blowing smoke, then give us all the details so we can all save.

• Reply 18 of 34

Data is data, I am sick of them separating the data based upon usage type or device.  Just charge us $50 a month for 5GB and be done with this crap.  What does it matter if it's talk, text, facebook, music, or tethered to something using talk, text, facebook or music?  It's all the same!  For that matter they should charge us depending upon geography too... oh your in NYC? Data is worth more there....  we're gonna dock you 2GB for every 1GB you use.  Oh you in Vermont now?  Time to recalculate!

Someone is rolling in money at the telecoms....

• Reply 19 of 34
    Correction. First it's $40 smartphone fee then you pay $100 for 10gb before taxes a month. That's BS. I have an iPhone 4 and early upgrade is available in December. I will wait til my contract is very close to ending and get the newest iPhone on Sprint. It may be slower. But I'd rather have slower unlimited data than lightning fast expensive limited data. They can keep that!
  • Reply 20 of 34
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member
    Verizon screwed Apple out of a lot of sales as many people are going to upgrade now just to keep their unlimited plan