Verizon to launch shared data plans on June 28

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    thx607thx607 Posts: 14member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    $110 for unlimited talk/text plus 10GBs of data between iPhone and iPad is pretty good.

Yes $110 for 1 user is a decent price, but when you add phone it sucks. For example, our family plan has 4 iPhones and two of them have tethering. We pay about 240 with taxes. With Verizon's pricing we would pay about 280 with taxes. So I can't see the value. I hope people voice their displeasure with Verizon about this. Although, even if they start at a lower price point they will eventually increase it.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

If this true and you aren't just blowing smoke, then give us all the details so we can all save.

Sure, if you want to move here, you can get access to our more extensive Netflix selection too.

http://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/wireless/wireless+plans/iphone+plans/unlimited+plus+plan+for+iphone

Unlimited Plus Plan

$69.99 a month, bundled

Unlimited Data in Manitoba

300MB of Canada Wide Data Usage

Unlimited Messaging (SMS/MMS)

350 Weekday Minutes

6pm Evening & Weekend Clock

Unlimited Wi-Fi

Unlimited Tethered Usage in Manitoba

Unlimited local and long distance calling in Manitoba to and from all MTS Wireless customers.

"Evening and weekend clock" means unlimited phone minutes after 6pm and all all weekend. I work nights and sleep  during the day, so in my case that means literally unlimited minutes. There are roaming charges for use outside of the province, but were talking about a 250,000 sq mi area, so that really only happens when I'm on vacation.

SaskTel, and other provincial providers have similar rates.

• Reply 23 of 34
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

SolipsismX wrote:

"If the next iPhone has LTE and this sharing plan can be used with the iPad then I think I'll be jumping to Verizon."

First of all, do some research in your area before switching to Verizon. I hear their data services are fine in some areas like NYC. However down here in south florida they suck. I purchased my new iPad with Verizon service, excited by the promised data speeds. Can't say I'm impressed with them. I can't get a decent connection anywhere I need it (downtown Miami, airport area, Doral, etc.) When I do get a connection it's either blazing fast (extremely rare) or dial-up slow (almost always). There's no in-between.

While AT&T can't match Verizon's LTE speeds in areas where they don't yet offer that service, their ubiquitous 3G/4G is an order of magnitude faster anywhere Verizon's LTE drops off. Totally regret getting the Verizon model iPad.

Aside from this, what on earth tempts you to switch to Verizon just after they announce this total dick move? They're basically admitting that people need voice and text services less than ever, so in response they're going to force you to switch to a shared service (useless if you don't need a family plan) that bundles an unlimited amount of what you don't need (voice and text) with a dramatically reduced amount of what you need most (data) at a much higher price.

I would not switch to Verizon if they offered me an iPhone free of charge.

• Reply 24 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T and asked them if I would be kicked off my grandfathered data plan when I upgrade to my next iPhone and they said NO.  Since I'm considering switching to Windows Phone, I asked if that only applied to iPhones and they said it applied to any of their phones, including 4G.  So that's pretty cool of them.

Any of you have Sprint?  They're the best deal in town right now and I'm considering them for my next contract.

Pricing's ok but service sucks.

• Reply 25 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

$110 for unlimited talk/text plus 10GBs of data between iPhone and iPad is pretty good.

No it isn't if you hardly use voice and text and don't want to rely on Verizon's shitty data services for all your mobile devices.

• Reply 26 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Or save $10/month (and $129 on the purchase) and get a WiFi iPad and use the included hot spot feature on the iPhone.

They are forcing unlimited talk & text - When they ADMIT that these are the two of the three services that use is declining! Ugh. They really missed an opportunity. Then again, they are basically setting it up that if you want a subsidized upgrade? This is what you're getting.

Between this new pricing scheme and the real life performance of their data services (if you're not on LTE, you're at dial-up speeds) I would never dream of switching to Verizon.

• Reply 27 of 34
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Between this new pricing scheme and the real life performance of their data services (if you're not on LTE, you're at dial-up speeds) I would never dream of switching to Verizon.

My experience has been the exact opposite.

I have an AT&T iPhone 4, she has a Verizon iPhone 4. I am constantly waiting for my phone to finish showing web pages/facebook updates/upload pictures. She never waits. At Disneyland last week, the majority of the time, my phone didn't even work, while hers was just fine.

My AT&T contract is up this month. As soon as the new iPhone comes out, I'll switch to Verizon and I can't wait.

• Reply 28 of 34
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member

This new plan sucks.  My current plan is four unlimited iPhones and 700 minutes w/o text.  Cost after discounts is $190.  A new plan would be unlimited minutes and text (little or no value) and 10GB of data for the four lines to share for $240.  I will pay $50 more and get less.  So, over two years, I will pay $1200 more for service.  If I can buy new phones without subsidy, the extra cost is $450 x 4 or $1800.  Does anyone know if you can go from 3g to LTE after 6-28-12 and keep the unlimited or do we all have to use an android for the next few months?  The more I think about this, the more I think I want to just dump Verizon.  I have two other lines with unlimited LTE and am using the sim cards in iPads and my data use per month is over ten gigs each. 

Questions:

1) Will Verizon let us go from the iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 (LTE) and keep our unlimited data?

2) Will Verizon throttle us that still have unlimited data?

3) Will Verizon allow those of us who have unlimited data to keep the unlimited data after any two year commitment is up?

4) If you have two family plans, can you keep on old plan for one group and get one new one for the second group?

5) Who might be a better service provider?  Hey I just want my iPhone.  I am glad it does not have any stupid carrier name stamped on it. The iPhone is mine, not Verizon's, Sprints' or AT&T's.

If Apple had their own telecommunications service, how many of us would dump our current provider?

• Reply 29 of 34
    lineyliney Posts: 19member

Wow - what a disappointment this "shared" plan turned out to be!

I have an iPhone 4S and a Verizon iPad 3. Last month I used 0.2% of the data on the iPhone since I'm almost always within range of wireless. So I'm thinking that when a shared plan is rolled out my current 2 gigs of data could also be available for my iPad, you know, SHARED. How very very different Verizon's actual plan is from my idea of how "sharing" would work me.

It's very clear that Verizon has engineered this with expensive, small shared data, knowing that very often someone in the plan will go over the limit. 2 gigs shared within a family is unrealistic. The kind of angst this will trigger between people sharing the data and the blame that will assigned to the guilty parties who cause overages will make this anything but "family friendly".

When my contract is up, I'm looking elsewhere, and am grateful Apple put both cell radios in the 4S.

• Reply 30 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

This new plan sucks.  My current plan is four unlimited iPhones and 700 minutes w/o text.  Cost after discounts is $190.  A new plan would be unlimited minutes and text (little or no value) and 10GB of data for the four lines to share for $240.  I will pay $50 more and get less.  So, over two years, I will pay $1200 more for service.  If I can buy new phones without subsidy, the extra cost is $450 x 4 or $1800.  Does anyone know if you can go from 3g to LTE after 6-28-12 and keep the unlimited or do we all have to use an android for the next few months?  The more I think about this, the more I think I want to just dump Verizon.  I have two other lines with unlimited LTE and am using the sim cards in iPads and my data use per month is over ten gigs each. 

Questions:

1) Will Verizon let us go from the iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 (LTE) and keep our unlimited data?

2) Will Verizon throttle us that still have unlimited data?

3) Will Verizon allow those of us who have unlimited data to keep the unlimited data after any two year commitment is up?

4) If you have two family plans, can you keep on old plan for one group and get one new one for the second group?

5) Who might be a better service provider?  Hey I just want my iPhone.  I am glad it does not have any stupid carrier name stamped on it. The iPhone is mine, not Verizon's, Sprints' or AT&T's.

If Apple had their own telecommunications service, how many of us would dump our current provider?

1) Yes. -- IF you pay the full, non-subsidized price for the new iPhone.

2) I am sure. They haven't said that "top 5%" rule is gone. Though in reality, they throttle towers, so it may or may not affect you.

3) Yes. -- The only time you give it up is when you want to get a subsidized phone.

4) Who knows. Logic says "Why not? (following the rules above) but who knows.

5) Part of me is thinking seriously about going to Virgin. Even with the new iPhone, if it is LTE, they won't be, but $60/month for two iPhones, might be worth it.

Virgin  $60/month times 24 months = $1,440. Add in the $650 for each 16 GB iPhone ($1,300) TOTAL: $2,740 over 24 months.

Verizon  $150/month times 24 months (4GB shared) = $3,600. Add in the $200 for each 16 GB iPhone ($400) TOTAL: $4,000 over 24 months. That is $1,260 MORE THAN Virgin!!!

• Reply 31 of 34
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

I sure hope ATT is taking notes of this debacle for when they announce their shared plan.

• Reply 32 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    icoco3 wrote: »
    I sure hope ATT is taking notes of this debacle for when they announce their shared plan.

Yep. They're making absolutely certain not to repeat the same mistakes Verizon is making…

…by charging $5 more for each part of the service.

Adding a tablet is $15. Smartphones are $45. Et cetera. :lol:
  • Reply 33 of 34
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird View Post

1) Yes. -- IF you pay the full, non-subsidized price for the new iPhone.

2) I am sure. They haven't said that "top 5%" rule is gone. Though in reality, they throttle towers, so it may or may not affect you.

3) Yes. -- The only time you give it up is when you want to get a subsidized phone.

4) Who knows. Logic says "Why not? (following the rules above) but who knows.

5) Part of me is thinking seriously about going to Virgin. Even with the new iPhone, if it is LTE, they won't be, but $60/month for two iPhones, might be worth it.

Virgin  $60/month times 24 months = $1,440. Add in the $650 for each 16 GB iPhone ($1,300) TOTAL: $2,740 over 24 months.

Verizon  $150/month times 24 months (4GB shared) = $3,600. Add in the $200 for each 16 GB iPhone ($400) TOTAL: $4,000 over 24 months. That is $1,260 MORE THAN Virgin!!!

Thanks for the input. I said the hell with it and ported my numbers to AT&T. I could not justify paying a bunch of $ to Verizon. I am an iPhone user and who provides me the best service and price gets my money.
  • Reply 34 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

My experience has been the exact opposite.

I have an AT&T iPhone 4, she has a Verizon iPhone 4. I am constantly waiting for my phone to finish showing web pages/facebook updates/upload pictures. She never waits. At Disneyland last week, the majority of the time, my phone didn't even work, while hers was just fine.

My AT&T contract is up this month. As soon as the new iPhone comes out, I'll switch to Verizon and I can't wait.

Sounds like you're in California. Everything I wrote was specific to south florida, but with the caveat that everyone should research relative service quality from both providers in their respective areas.

As I mentioned in NYC, perhaps also on the west cosat, Verizon is better. Not good, just better in comparison because ATT sucks so bad in those places.