Apple hands off transit directions to third-party apps in iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

and the wheels start to fall off... this is just another iADS and iBooks - once you see the details it shows it is half baked and hopefully fixed as it goes.

iOS: the dumbing down of Apple continues.

• Reply 22 of 77
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

and the wheels start to fall off... this is just another iADS and iBooks - once you see the details it shows it is half baked and hopefully fixed as it goes.

iOS: the dumbing down of Apple continues

To be fair, nobody would care if iADS went away because the consumer does not like ads in any way or form. they just want to get on with what they ere doing, whether it be watching a TV show, using a website, using an app, whatever.

Except for those direct TV ads, those are HILARIOUS. Don't sell your hair to a wig shop.

• Reply 23 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The keyword is within the maps app.. It would've sucked it was a separate third party solution outside of the maps app.

I think that means the maps app will become a platform.

That is how I read it, too, and I see that as a potential win win. It is impossible to handle all walking, public transport, hiking, tourist routes, etc etc of every locality for Apple (or google). To have individual and often local developers take this on should offer more choices, better niche solutions and through competition, better choices. Maps as a platform with 'plug-ins' makes a lot of sense, to me. 

• Reply 24 of 77
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    addicted44 wrote: »
    This is actually extremely exciting. It means that now multiple sources (your local mass transit providers, an enterprising citizen, and entrepreneurial developer) can all provide the information which feeds into the Maps app, and the user can then pick and choose the one that provides the best info.
    What this means is that I can theoretically use Google's transit information while in NYC, and Nokia Maps while in the middle of Europe.

Exactly! Anyone care to join me in a Kickstarter project for a street level view app? My concept is to simply have iPhone 4S users use their phone to capture 360 degree panoramic photographs then upload said photographs along with the GPS metadata. Based on all the apparent backlash about the current lack of street level views in a beta app we should be billionaires in about 3 minutes upon public release.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

To be fair, nobody would care if iADS went away because the consumer does not like ads in any way or form. they just want to get on with what they ere doing, whether it be watching a TV show, using a website, using an app, whatever.

Except for those direct TV ads, those are HILARIOUS. Don't sell your hair to a wig shop.

Well, if there were no ads, how would you find out about 'new stuff'. There are many forms of ads but in essence advertising is just companies letting you know what they've got. I am not sure people hate ads per se, but they definitely hate intrusive ads that ruin another experience. 

The way I see it - to google something is to ask to be bombarded with adverts. Every link is an ad - a path to a product. Its a much better experience because to a large degree it is controlled by us, and therefore much more effective.

• Reply 26 of 77

It's a bit offtopic, but is it possible that Apple is going to set up a Maps platform, which will also be available for Non-Apple or iOS-users? Because when I go to maps.apple.com, I'm being redirected to maps.google.com. So I was thinking: if they release iOS6 this fall, it's possible we will have an Apple Maps on the internet too...

• Reply 27 of 77
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

This has the potential to be absolutely fantastic.

Personally, I think the Transit directions of Google Maps is fantastic and think it will take some beating, but here's the thing, I suspect an app will come out pretty quickly that simply replicates what Google have into the iOS Maps application, so in the worst case, we'll probably end up with something merely the same as what we have now.  However, by opening this space up to plenty of creative people, amazing could come along.

Just as a quick example, there is a trick in the UK whereby a train journey can be cheaper if you buy two tickets, one to get you half way to where you're going, then another to get you from there to where you are actually going (it's because of how the peak fare system works).  Now, someone has come up with an App to help people find those savings (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets#app).  How much cooler would that be if properly integrated into the Maps application.

• Reply 28 of 77

I can't believe people are worried about this.  There will be a Google Maps app, and you will be welcome to use it if you would like.  Apple cannot deny Google Maps, or they will be investigated again for anti-trust issues.  That is why we have a Google Voice app, a GMail app, a Google Latitude app, etc etc etc.  Apple already once got in hot water for denying apps that were competitors to their own products.  We now have an Amazon cloud music player app etc etc, we have all kinds of apps which "compete" with Apple products.

Stop freaking out, there WILL be a Google Maps app for iOS and if you don't like Apple's maps you can download the Google one and use it.

As a side note, for Portland, Oregon transit I highly recommend the app PDXBus:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdx-bus-max-streetcar-and-wes/id289814055?mt=8

• Reply 29 of 77
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I believe that one reason why Google and other platform owners try to do it all themselves is because they don't have the breath of apps we do. I've got a bunch of local apps for mass transit and walking. If Apple does this themselves, then how many of these apps will die off? A lot of them charge a nominal sum. But we all know that a so so solution that's free will usually trump a better solution that costs money.

Every time Apple adds something that a developer already does, even though most people are demanding that Apple do it (for free) there are those who villify Apple for it. Microsoft too.

So now we have the turn by turn ability as other platforms do. So what happens to allow the apps that do this but charge something? I use GPS Drive from MobileX. It's a great app that been upgrades many times since I first got it. I will continue using it though I'll try Apple's out. So will we see the large, and thriving, GPS driving app contingent die out? Will people be happy about that? Is Apple just doing this to fight the accusation that they're the only major platform not to have a free built in driving app?

So I think that having third parties being able to integrate into Apple's apps is a good thing. Hopefully, the API's will allow an integration that will work well and seamlessly. I have to assume, at this point, that it should. We'll see.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tdeprez wrote: »
    It's a bit offtopic, but is it possible that Apple is going to set up a Maps platform, which will also be available for Non-Apple or iOS-users? Because when I go to maps.apple.com, I'm being redirected to maps.google.com. So I was thinking: if they release iOS6 this fall, it's possible we will have an Apple Maps on the internet too...

Non iOS users such as OS X users, sure. But why would they want to let non Apple customers use this? The entire point of their software is to draw people into Apple's business model where everything is so much more convenient, and easier. They would need to decide whether more people would come into Apple's camp than stay away because of it.
  • Reply 31 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Non iOS users such as OS X users, sure. But why would they want to let non Apple customers use this? The entire point of their software is to draw people into Apple's business model where everything is so much more convenient, and easier. They would need to decide whether more people would come into Apple's camp than stay away because of it.

That's true. But why not password protected? So only available with an Apple ID? Like iCloud?

• Reply 32 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    tdeprez wrote: »
    That's true. But why not password protected? So only available with an Apple ID? Like iCloud?

Exactly. I wouldn't imagine it would be accessible through anything but iCloud.com. Though I STILL don't see the point to a standalone map.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    melgross wrote: »
    I believe that one reason why Google and other platform owners try to do it all themselves is because they don't have the breath of apps we do.

So will we see the large, and thriving, GPS driving app contingent die out? Will people be happy about that? Is Apple just doing this to fight the accusation that they're the only major platform not to have a free built in driving app?

So I think that having third parties being able to integrate into Apple's apps is a good thing. Hopefully, the API's will allow an integration that will work well and seamlessly. I have to assume, at this point, that it should. We'll see.

Google tries to do everything themselves because the more "services" they provide to consumers, the larger their advertising platform becomes which increases their revenue.

Apple purchased several mapping companies to reduce dependency on Google and reduce Google's revenue of which approximately USD $500 m annually is derived from the use of Google services as the infrastructure of iOS Maps.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I believe that one reason why Google and other platform owners try to do it all themselves is because they don't have the breath of apps we do. 

Google began subway routes/stops back in Feb/2007, the same time they added real-time traffic reporting. Walking directions were added in June of 2008. All of those preceded Apple's AppStore, and definitely intro'd before Google even had an app market. I don't believe those features for free from Google had anything to do with 3rd party mobile apps since there wasn't even an AppStore.

• Reply 35 of 77
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Google tries to do everything themselves because the more "services" they provide to consumers, the larger their advertising platform becomes which increases their revenue. ...

Which is why all of Google's services, including search, have become mediocre. Google's desire to "take over the world" results in a lack of focus which leads to mediocrity, just as we've previously seen with Microsoft. Apple's strategy of building platforms and focusing on making those as good as possible has, as in the case of OS X and iOS, resulted in better products with better user experiences, and the gap between what Apple and Google offers will continue to widen, in Apple's favor.

• Reply 36 of 77

"When building Maps, we looked around and realized the best transit apps for metros, for hiking, for biking, are coming from our developers,"

Yeah, I hear there's a really good, free one called Google Maps - maybe let Tim Cook know?

• Reply 37 of 77
    "When building Maps, we looked around and realized the best transit apps for metros, for hiking, for biking, are coming from our developers,"

Yeah, I hear there's a really good, free one called Google Maps - maybe let Tim Cook know?

You should read the entire thread. Many posters are contesting the accuracy of Google services.
  • Reply 38 of 77

Sorry, if I have to go outside the Maps app to get alternative transit date, I have to say this is a fail.  I don't want to have to bounce around multiple apps trying to figure out the best way to get somewhere.  A specialized activity like hiking or bike trail riding, sure.  But walking and transit are integral for any urban consumer, and I shouldn't have to flick between Maps and one or more 3rd party apps (re-entering all the info multiple times!) to figure out how to get somewhere.

If the alternative (non-car) data is embeddable as layers within the Maps app, by downloading other 3rd party maps -- that might be OK for your usual locality (even then, you have to know which add-on apps to download - Caltrain, SamTrans, Muni, Bart, etc.), but it's not going to be very user friendly when visiting another city.  If I go to Boston, all the transit data is right there; I shouldn't have to go to the App Store and look for Boston transit apps to add into Maps.

EDIT: (And for those saying "but including transit and biking, etc. would be way too much data for Maps!", I say "Google's been doing it for years".  Once you've got the incredible complexity of maps, with all the streets [which have to be mapped as individual lanes, with every intersection detailed for appropriate access], buildings, parks, etc., it's actually very little more data to add in transit schedules!)

• Reply 39 of 77
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Sorry, even I have to say this is a fail.  I don't want to have to bounce around multiple apps trying to figure out the best way to get somewhere.  A specialized activity like hiking or bike trail riding, sure.  But walking and transit are integral for any urban consumer, and I shouldn't have to flick between Maps and a 3rd party app (re-entering all the info multiple times!) to figure out how to get somewhere.

I think you missed the part about how "easiest" != "best". That's an especially important distinction to keep in mind when discussing directions.

• Reply 40 of 77
    sleepy3 wrote: »
    3d fly-overs are cool but.....how are you gonna see inside of tunnels, buildings, caves, trails lined with trees etc using planes?

You gotta get someone with equipment to physically go and capture all that stuff. Like what google are doing with the street view backpack. 

Maps is no longer about roads. Its about cataloging the entire surface of the earth. I have no doubt apple will at some point make a competing product. 

EDIT: However, if Apple decides to waive their rule about competing apps on the marketplace and allow google maps, iOS WILL have access to street view anyway.

I'd prefer to be able to see full cities and one day maybe large areas of the planet in 3D than see the inside a cave or a tunnel....