Apple seeks '.apple' domain suffix for websites

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Not a fan of any of this.

Apple have no choice now those suffixes are going to be in the wild. Even if they never use them they have to prevent others. This is great way for ICAAN to make money though.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    toruktoruk Posts: 38member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think it be good to also buy .app instead. You could then have every app look like the OS X file name and they'd have a more powerful mental association with the word app.

I'm glad others have had the same idea. I think .app would be a good extension as many of the apps in the Mac App Store have websites such as www.iphotoapp.com and www.imovieapp.com.

• Reply 23 of 66
    Why's that? (I know nothing of this stuff)
    Sounds like this is perfect for preventing fraud. You KNOW you're going to Amazon because the site ends in .amazon. You know you're going to Apple because the site ends in .apple, etc.
    P.S. OH GREAT. The reply feature doesn't work properly with DP4. Can't wait for Mountain Lion to come out and everyone here to have a WORSE posting experience.
    … Where're the emotions? I can't even get to our one working emoticon to end that line…

The fraud angle is a good one.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabe1k View Post

I can see it now.

cr.apple

Seriously, I'm fine with this idea. I think companies that use it will end up with both a custom suffix as well as the usual .com.  So this probably won't make a bit of difference to the average web user.

Except average web users are always screwing up things like putting www in front of everything for example www. support. apple. com

So they will probably add .com to the end and break the link anyway.

• Reply 25 of 66
    I have to smile though ... It's amazing how many out there don't even understand the current nomenclature or even what a URL is. I just had to create a small web site for an HOA. I gave the printed address to a board member who didn't know his email address. He came back the next day and said it didn't work. I said it sure did what did he do? "Well we tried it in Microsoft, AOL and Google ..." Came the reply.

I can top that ... (sorry off topic but should make you all fall on the floor ...) Another one said "Oh you know something about iPads?" I said yes ... "Look" she says taking out a new iPad and holding the eye sight camera it to her eye like a normal camera and peering 'through it' with the other eye shut ... "The camera doesn't work I can't see anything through here!" She says.
  • Reply 26 of 66

TLD mudflation. More ICANN extortion.

Are we sure there's no concept of ownership here?

Microsoft should not own ".docs" and ".live".

• Reply 27 of 66
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member

I can see an urgent need for suffixes like .pizza and .beer, but .apple? Give me a break.

• Reply 28 of 66
    gabe1kgabe1k Posts: 8member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Except average web users are always screwing up things like putting www in front of everything for example www. support. apple. com

So they will probably add .com to the end and break the link anyway.

Yep, like I said, it won't make a bit of difference to average web users. They screw it up now, they'll screw it up later.

• Reply 29 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Not a fan of any of this.

I know, right?  What a colossally stupid idea.

It makes a complete mockery of the classification system.  They are basically taking something that is supposed to refer to a whole meta category and instead make it refer to the most specific instance of a sub-category of a category.  

Which of these things is not the same? 

"horses", "dogs", "cats", "Mittens" (Mr. Browns cat from down the street)

• Reply 30 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    They don't buy it or own it. If the domain suffix is approved it gets assigned to a registrar and then anyone should be able to register domains with that suffix.  For example Google.apple

There are restrictions on some suffixes such as .mil .gov .edu so .apple could potentially be restricted to Apple, Inc. but that would set an entirely new precedence. 

Ah, now I like it even less.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

$185,000 per proposal?

Now I know the real reason for all of this.

If they only approve half that's still $185 Million. Blimey lol.

I can't see the point - if you own www.apple.com then all you have to do is add stuff after the / to make sub categories anyway like www.apple.com/itunes.

What we really need is:

1. Only let multi national companies use the .com domain - everyone else must use .uk or .us or whatever country domain

2. Stop companies buying up multiple domains for the same company just so they can have the .com & .co.uk domains

3. More generic domains like .biz .info .local etc - if you have ever tried to start a business and get the domain name for that business is nigh on impossible. You either have to make up a website address that is a load of words stuck together which looks crap or you have dream up some new word. It's ridiculous.

• Reply 32 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

I can see an urgent need for suffixes like .pizza and .beer, but .apple? Give me a break.

Personally, I think they already went over the line when they approved ".biz" (which makes ".com" an illogical anachronism).  

This new stuff is like a bad satire, except it's real. 

• Reply 33 of 66
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

So www.apple.apple?  or www.apple and no .com or just .apple?

A person asks "what web site do I go to?"  The reply is "www.google"  they type in www.google.com.  No redirect and then web site cannot be displayed page appears.  Then allot of complaints and calls and support is saying to non tech savvy people "just type in www.google no .com"  they say what.  you can imagine the rest.  How fun.

• Reply 33 of 66
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    How about .app for appstore app websites?
  • Reply 35 of 66
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    www.google.com could just become "google".

Of course Google or Apple could just make their own DNS system that only works on their devices or browsers and do whatever they want with fallback to DNS.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

2. Stop companies buying up multiple domains for the same company just so they can have the .com & .co.uk domains

That's not going to work for companies that have branding that is strongly tied to the Internet.  Lots of companies buy up multiple TLD names because they want to protect their brand name - something they have the right to do from counterfeiters or people who wish to use their name for harm.  Since anybody anywhere can register a domain name, its often impractical to do anything except take a preventative measure. 

• Reply 37 of 66
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sounds like this is perfect for preventing fraud. You KNOW you're going to Amazon because the site ends in .amazon. You know you're going to Apple because the site ends in .apple, etc.

P.S. OH GREAT. The reply feature doesn't work properly with DP4. Can't wait for Mountain Lion to come out and everyone here to have a WORSE posting experience.

… Where're the emotions? I can't even get to our one working emoticon to end that line…

If only that were the case...  Visiting apple.apple is no more certain than visiting apple.com.  If you go to apple.com now, you "know" you're going to Apple.  More TLDs would be just as susceptible to DNS poisoning as things are now.  Not to mention that most people don't pay attention to the web address, they just click on any old link they see.

• Reply 38 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mytdave wrote: »
    If only that were the case...  Visiting apple.apple is no more certain than visiting apple.com.  If you go to apple.com now, you "know" you're going to Apple.

If I type in "apple.com", I'm going to be sent to 17.149.160.49. I don't see how that's insecure.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

i propose .WTF that will have a nice ring to many websites too bad I do not have $186K to make the proposal.

• Reply 40 of 66
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But the rumour is that Apple music also applied for .apple - do not know if this is true or not. 

It would be interesting to see who won it. Apple music has more right as they were first with the international trademark, but there is an agreement that apple music use it for music and apple computers use it for tech related activities. Who wins?

And if a group representing broader interests applied for it, like the Apple Grow's Federation of Europe, then they would get it above both apple music and apple computers (although if they even exist I doubt they would have enough money).