FaceTime over 3G with iOS 6 limited to iPhone 4S, iPad 3

Comments

• Reply 21 of 149
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

people still use FaceTime?... just fragmenting the service even more see. It is so limited already it is useless for the most part.

• Reply 22 of 149
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

Wow - us iphone 4 owners are really getting the shaft.  Pretty shitty move Apple - considering my phone is only a little over a year old.

Apple knows that a lot of iPhone 4 users are coming to the end of their contracts and they want to sell them an iPhone 5. There is a reason their stock is $500+.

-kpluck

• Reply 23 of 149
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    My iPhone4 is two years old this month. I'll upgrade when the iP5 comes out in October. Perhaps a jailbreak is in order between now and then?
  • Reply 24 of 149
    bob101bob101 Posts: 1member

The fine print (note 4) says:

1. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4 or later, or iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.

The facetime does not need the A5 chip.  The info is right from apple.com.

• Reply 25 of 149
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

It may also be that these new advanced features that are very beificial, convienent, and more "flashy" to the public eye may and probable will get more use, and suck up more cellular data because of their ease of use and mainstream attraction.

So knowing this the mobile networks (like Verizon) who are trying to cap or move people away from their grandfathered unlimited data plans, struck a deal to allow it only on the newest devices.

Version won't let you upgrade your phone without switching to a metered cellular plan.

So when The new iPhone comes out, of course you want it . . .

Byebye unlimited plan.

So this makes since in that regard.

Some of these features can be done on older devices but I'm sure it scares the ish out of the networks with all the popularity and unlimited plans out there.

It's a calculated rule, and I'm sure that's what Steve Jobs meant when he announced FaceTime and said something like needing to "work a little" with the networks.

Riiiiiggghhhttt

Well lets see. Every phone can use skype and android supports native video calling for years now over data. From the numbers more than 50% of the world smartphones use android AND 100% of the world smartphones can use Skype. 

Now add to that research that shows Android users tend to use data more than wifi, AND that if you wanted to video chat you would have skype on your phone ANYWAY....I just can't see how this is a carrier thing. 

Its business. At some point you just have to realise its a business. They spend a lot of money developing those iOS features (although more and more they seem to be mimicking features other mobile OS's had for years) and they need to make that back through sales. 

And lets be real. Apple isn't the only company. Why didn't Samsung release S-Voice for the GS2? What, does S-Voice need a quad core to work? Of course not, they just want people to buy their latest phone. 

Business, people. Business. 

• Reply 26 of 149
    bsenka wrote: »
    **** you Apple. My iPhone 4 is less than a year old, and you're trying to coerce me into buying new one already? Why, so you can put some random limit on that phone to drive sales of the next one in another couple of months?. It's my data plan, stop arbitrarily telling me what I can use it for. Enough with the 50mb app store dowload limits too, assholes.

If this pisses you off . . Lol

Better stay clear of Android devices. . .. . .

And every other company, as they are a nightmare in this area.

In my experience apple has supported their iPhone models with the newest software better and more consistently than any other hardware, and software makers out there

This is funny. I remember having always read a new Manual and learn new features with every new phone I got pre-iPhone era.

Now here we are and we still aren't satisfied. . . Lol

Although I do agree we should have as much backwards compatability as possible.

At least until our 2 year contract expires, hey wait . . IPhone 4 has been out 2 years . .hmmmmmm

;)
  • Reply 27 of 149
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member

Really quite simple.  Now that the carriers have done away with unlimited plans, they are encouraging as many folks as possible to upgrade and use all the 3G or 4G they can.  Since most, if not all, of the iphone4 plans expire this year, and were unlimited data plans, they get to entice you to upgrade to get Facetime over the cellular network, and take you to the cleaners in data charges.  Remember when the carriers wouldn't "allow" Apple to use 3G for Facetime, saying they were "network constrained"?  Well, this was, of course, all hogwash, as they were just waiting to do away with the unlimited plans, and now: Voila: you can do Facetime over the cellular network!  (however, you must get a new phone from us, and we won't let you keep your unlimited plan anymore, but we've got this great deal that lets us charge you $50 or more per month to do all the Facetime and streaming movies you like - come one, come all, no more network constraint - magic).  What corporate creeps.

• Reply 28 of 149
    agramonte wrote: »
    people still use FaceTime?... just fragmenting the service even more see. It is so limited already it is useless for the most part.

I use it often with my friends and family, so not it's not useless to me.

article title is wrong, iPad 2 will NOT have FaceTime over 3G.

Was just about to say this.
  • Reply 29 of 149

Maybe I am missing something but the Fine Print is actually saying iphone 4 is included. Not sure where the author saw that the Iphone wasn't.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

1. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4 or later, or iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.

• Reply 30 of 149
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And that's not Apple, I don't believe.

The 50mb app download limit is pretty random, and is perhaps just there to satisfy US carriers who have poor networks. I have unlimited data here in the UK, and I can stream as much netflix or Spotify as I like, or download as many podcasts as I like through apps like Downcast.  There's no cap in the hardware, it's a lock Apple put in place which they've never bothered to justify.

• Reply 31 of 149
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post

1. So you bought your iPhone 4 less than a year ago... The iPhone 4 is two years old, next month. (Tardy to the party?) lol

2. Let's not forget that the network capability of the iPhone 4 is not as great as the 4s. The 4 connects to HSPA networks, while the 4s connects to HSPA+ which directly relates to network speed.

My 4s out runs my wife's 4 every day of the week on the AT&T network while we are side by side. This is probably directly linked to the fact that Apple does not want to add Siri or FaceTime to the 4... Both utilize the network and the lag may be out of range for Apple. Not to mention that they are a business and they do need to make money to stay IN business. lol

The Verizon iPhone 4S has Siri and will receive the other updates from iOS 6 and it does not use the HSPA network since Verizon does not have one.

Data throughput is not a valid argument.

• Reply 32 of 149
    yardbirdjo wrote: »
    Maybe I am missing something but the Fine Print is actually saying iphone 4 is included. Not sure where the author saw that the Iphone wasn't.

You must have just made that up. It doesn't say that at all.

It says "4. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries."
  • Reply 33 of 149
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by yardbirdjo View Post

I clicked on that link and this is the text I saw:

4. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.

• Reply 34 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by mengel View Post

pretty sure it has to do with 4G or 4G equivalent capability.  only the iphone 4S/ipad 3rd gen have that.

Not on Verizon, they don't. Network throughput is not the reason they are limiting these features to the 4S. There are no hardware limitations either.

• Reply 35 of 149
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

**** you Apple. My iPhone 4 is less than a year old, and you're trying to coerce me into buying new one already? Why, so you can put some random limit on that phone to drive sales of the next one in another couple of months?. It's my data plan, stop arbitrarily telling me what I can use it for. Enough with the 50mb app store dowload limits too, assholes.

My Android phone is less than a year old and I cannot even get the current OS, not even talking about the next OS, and you complain about getting only 95% of the features of the next OS?

(Actually, I don't have an Android phone but what I said would apply to the vast majority of Android users.)

• Reply 36 of 149
    clgohclgoh Posts: 1member
    On the Australian site (http://www.apple.com/au/ios/ios6/)

[QUOTE]4. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4 or later, or iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 37 of 149
    bsenka wrote: »

Rofl...

Btw the iPhone 4 is quite dated (2010 actually). Don't blame apple you chose the cheaper alternative...a data cap also is imposed by carrier...don't blame apple.
  • Reply 38 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I dont believe the sinister motive that many will write about. My guess is that Apple determined that pre-4S models didn't offer the minimum quality of user experience they wanted the public to have.

For which feature? Turn-by-turn navigation? I have that on my iPhone 4 using Navigon. Works great.

Siri? Works on jailbroken phones.

At the very least, for those two features, Apple has held them back from iPhone 4 users with some other motive in mind other than hardware capability.

• Reply 39 of 149
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member

Is it really that much of a shock that Apple is making the newest features exclusive to its latest products?  If your hardware is 2 years old, it's already obsolete for a company who updates its hardware on a yearly cycle.

I can't imagine what fun feature items will be unavailable for users of 2010 equipment for Mountain Lion later this summer and for iOS7 next year.

People who bought a Mac before this week's refresh and an iPad 2 before the new iPad came out were especially screwed, but they should have known better by doing research and realizing that Apple's behavior is quite established.

If you want to ride the "Latest and Greatest" tech wave with Apple and get the most bang for your hardware buck, your best bet is to have a big wallet and be ready to refresh your hardware every 2 years so that you can leapfrog.  Buy every other iPhone.  Buy every other MacBook refresh.  Dump your old hardware on craigslist, ebay, or to Windows-using relatives.

My forecasts for 2013:

People who bought a Mac computer in the 2011 Back To School season will miss out on some features in 2013's OSX 10.9. (Think of Air Drop, requiring only newer machines when 10.7 came out, for example.)

The iPhone 3GS will be replaced by the iPhone4 as the legacy "free" phone.  The iPhone4S will not get every feature in 2013's iOS7 -- those features require the A6 processor found only in the iPhone5.  The iPad4 runs everything in iOS7.  The new iPad (3) runs most things.

• Reply 40 of 149

My iPhone 4 already does facetime over 3G. It's called jailbreaking and a little app named 3G unrestrictor. Also lets me download apps of any size. Sorry apple, but for a company that's all about "simplicity" your feature set is one of the most complicated on the market. It will only get worse when they go to the simple naming scheme because no one will be able to keep track of which phone they have, just like with the current mac models.