FaceTime over 3G with iOS 6 limited to iPhone 4S, iPad 3

Comments

• Reply 41 of 149
    My iPhone 4 already does facetime over 3G. It's called jailbreaking and a little app named 3G unrestrictor. Also lets me download apps of any size. Sorry apple, but for a company that's all about "simplicity" your feature set is one of the most complicated on the market. It will only get worse when they go to the simple naming scheme because no one will be able to keep track of which phone they have, just like with the current mac models. 

Orly welcome to the forums btw since you joined just to post the above.

Sure you could jailbreak...I've done it on my 4...and it doesn't compare to the 4S..

You guys do remember the A5 does have some differences from the A4
  • Reply 42 of 149
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

For which feature? Turn-by-turn navigation? I have that on my iPhone 4 using Navigon. Works great.

Siri? Works on jailbroken phones.

At the very least, for those two features, Apple has held them back from iPhone 4 users with some other motive in mind other than hardware capability.

The feature that is the main subject this thread.

• Reply 43 of 149
    akacakac Posts: 512member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

The Verizon iPhone 4S has Siri and will receive the other updates from iOS 6 and it does not use the HSPA network since Verizon does not have one.

Data throughput is not a valid argument.

How about Apple's servers? Also one carrier does not make it invalid when it may be the majority.

• Reply 44 of 149
    tmallontmallon Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpriceslc View Post

If the iPhone 4 can do FaceTime over Wi-Fi, it can do FaceTime over 3G...

They made a deal with the carriers, Most 4s don't have the unlimited data plans, as most iphone 4 could have.   if you upgrade to new phone you lose the data plan.

• Reply 45 of 149
    akacakac Posts: 512member

Siri - Uses Apples servers. Just with the 4S we have times the servers can't handle it all. Adding iPhone 4 will just make it worse.

Turn by turn - uses parts of Siri and Apple's servers more.

• Reply 46 of 149
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akac View Post

How about Apple's servers? Also one carrier does not make it invalid when it may be the majority.

Apple's Servers?

If Skype servers can handle the whole world of phones and PC's, I think Apple can handle iphone 4S's and 4's.

• Reply 47 of 149
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

So not for the iPhone 4 huh?  That doesn't seem right.  I am glad I have an iPhone 4s.

Apple did release iPhoto for iPad 2 or better.  I was able to get iPhoto to work on my iPad first Gen.  But there is no way to hack SIRI on an iPhone 4 in iOS 6.  How sad.

Maybe a company like Google will release a program capable turn by turn nab for the iPhone 4 and older.

• Reply 48 of 149
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    My iPhone 4 already does facetime over 3G. It's called jailbreaking and a little app named 3G unrestrictor. Also lets me download apps of any size. Sorry apple, but for a company that's all about "simplicity" your feature set is one of the most complicated on the market. It will only get worse when they go to the simple naming scheme because no one will be able to keep track of which phone they have, just like with the current mac models. 

Much better to keep everything simple and never offer software upgrades like Google and friends.

tylersdad wrote: »
    For which feature? Turn-by-turn navigation? I have that on my iPhone 4 using Navigon. Works great.

Siri? Works on jailbroken phones.

At the very least, for those two features, Apple has held them back from iPhone 4 users with some other motive in mind other than hardware capability.

Wait! Apple is holding back Navigon from iPhone 4? That's the first I heard of that. You say it works great though. Is that a jailbreak?
  • Reply 49 of 149
    tmallon wrote: »
    They made a deal with the carriers, Most 4s don't have the unlimited data plans, as most iphone 4 could have.   if you upgrade to new phone you lose the data plan.

WUT? Most of the 4S user's I know have grandfathered data plans along with myself and my wife's phone...upgrading to the new phone would not change your plan..just your contract term length.
  • Reply 50 of 149
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member

I agree. I am really mad that iPhone 4 has become a stepchild.

• Reply 51 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I dont believe the sinister motive that many will write about. My guess is that Apple determined that pre-4S models didn't offer the minimum quality of user experience they wanted the public to have.

More likely the decision was made to exclude the iPhone 4 so carriers could start handling FaceTime gradually. It seems the main issue at hand here is that Apple claims they have one platform and one version of an OS when in reality the fine print creates a whole host of various sub-versions and feature fragmentation. We're still a far cry from the Android quagmire but I can't help missing the days of OS X when buying the newest version meant getting all the new features.

• Reply 52 of 149
    jdsonice wrote: »
    I agree. I am really mad that iPhone 4 has become a stepchild.

And you don't think the 4S will suffer the same fate?? The device update is coming soon...the 4S is well over 6 months old now...with new device comes features the just upgraded 4S users will miss out on..
  • Reply 53 of 149
    brumbrum Posts: 26member
    So Apple i pulling the same stunt again (as they did with lte/4g)? First publishing something and then change the requirement. Hope that you have a screen shot of the text because there will be a number of people here that will not believe you until hard evidence is published ;-)
  • Reply 54 of 149
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

And you don't think the 4S will suffer the same fate?? The device update is coming soon...the 4S is well over 6 months old now...with new device comes features the just upgraded 4S users will miss out on..

Wasn't the 4S released about 9 months ago back in October last year?  I recall it being about the 14th or so of October for the first release. 

Which to be honest, is how we should be judging the age of any product that Apple releases.  You buy a 3gs today it is not 1 day old - the phone itself is a 3 year old device.

• Reply 55 of 149
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

Wow - us iphone 4 owners are really getting the shaft.  Pretty shitty move Apple - considering my phone is only a little over a year old.

Yeah, except when iOS 6 actually *launches* (it isn't out right now obviously), your phone will be two generations old and would have shipped with an OS that is two generations old as well.  Also, at that time, your phone will fall into the "free" category in terms of most offers from most cell providers.  

It will on the other hand *run* iOS 6 and you will get it as a free upgrade (even though when you bought it, the promise was only that it would run iOS 4 and iOS 5), except a few features won't be working/possible.  

the Horror! 

Wah-wah, etc. 

• Reply 56 of 149
    brumbrum Posts: 26member
    brum wrote: »
    So Apple i pulling the same stunt again (as they did with lte/4g)? First publishing something and then change the requirement. Hope that you have a screen shot of the text because there will be a number of people here that will not believe you until hard evidence is published ;-)

Sorry this should be quoting bob101 and yardbirdjo
  • Reply 57 of 149
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

**** you Apple. My iPhone 4 is less than a year old, and you're trying to coerce me into buying new one already?...

It doesn't matter when you bought it.  

The iPhone 4 is by definition 1 year and 9 months old, not "less than a year."  When iOS 6 is out it will be over 2 years old

(the rest of your post is mindless insults based on zero facts and not worth answering). 

• Reply 58 of 149
    clgoh wrote: »
    On the Australian site (http://www.apple.com/au/ios/ios6/)
    4. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4 or later, or iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.

It doesn't say that. Tried the link you gave me and it says 4S and 3rd gen iPad only.
  • Reply 59 of 149
    diddy wrote: »
    Wasn't the 4S released about 9 months ago back in October last year?  I recall it being about the 14th or so of October for the first release. 

Which to be honest, is how we should be judging the age of any product that Apple releases.  You buy a 3gs today it is not 1 day old - the phone itself is a 3 year old device.

Yep about 242-3 days ago to be precise, I set a memo for that date in my calendar so it reminds me often ;) after all we did wait quite awhile for the 4S to arrive.
  • Reply 60 of 149
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

I'd say we have an excessive amount of OS fragmentation going on here but Apple is employing a ruse by giving each device it's own OS with the same version number as everybody else, but obviously severely restricting features for older devices.  As such, for Apple to point the finger at Google about OS fragmentation is a sham.