Timing of new iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Just sold my intel Mac 24 and need replacement very soon.  

Would current iMac be satisfactory since I do not use for

fancy streaming, photography,  movies.   Mostly for MS Office,

Internet, photos?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member

Even for the other more demanding applications you mention, the last generation iMac is more than adequate.

• Reply 2 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I really don't understand these sorts of posts! Why would you sell your iMac if you don't know the answer to this question you posted?

Seriously, why?

In any event buy nothing until the revised iMac comes out!!
    <table style="border-collapse:collapse;font-size:12px;margin-top:10px;margin-right:6px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:6px;padding-top:5px;padding-right:10px;padding-bottom:5px;padding-left:10px;border-top-width:1px;border-right-width:1px;border-left-width:1px;background-color:rgb(235,235,235);font:normal normal normal 100%/normal sans-serif;width:auto;height:auto;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;white-space:nowrap;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif;border-top-style:solid;border-right-style:solid;border-left-style:solid;border-top-color:rgb(255,255,255);border-right-color:rgb(255,255,255);border-left-color:rgb(255,255,255);border-bottom-style:none;"><tbody style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;border-top-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;background-color:transparent;font:normal normal normal 100%/normal sans-serif;width:auto;height:auto;border-collapse:collapse;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;white-space:nowrap;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:12px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;border-top-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;background-color:transparent;font:normal normal normal 100%/normal sans-serif;width:auto;height:auto;border-collapse:collapse;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;white-space:nowrap;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:12px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif;"><td id="user_cke_dialog_contents_60" style="margin-top:10px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:24px;padding-right:7px;padding-bottom:7px;padding-left:7px;border-top-width:1px;border-right-width:1px;border-bottom-width:1px;border-left-width:1px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);font:normal normal normal 100%/normal sans-serif;width:350px;height:245px;border-collapse:collapse;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;white-space:nowrap;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:12px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif;border-top-style:solid;border-right-style:solid;border-left-style:solid;border-top-color:rgb(197,198,188);border-right-color:rgb(197,198,188);border-left-color:rgb(197,198,188);border-bottom-style:solid;border-bottom-color:rgb(197,198,188);">
    <div id="user_cke_66_uiElement" style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;border-top-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;background-color:transparent;font:normal normal normal 100%/normal sans-serif;width:350px;height:245px;border-collapse:collapse;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;white-space:nowrap;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:12px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif;">
    Just sold my intel Mac 24 and need replacement very soon.  
    Would current iMac be satisfactory since I do not use for
    fancy streaming, photography,  movies.   Mostly for MS Office,
    Internet, photos?
    </div>

</td>

</tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>
  • Reply 3 of 16

Was not pleased for the costs of the repairs on iMac 24 in fourth year...hard drive and superdrive.  So, after the last fix during May 2012, I decided to sale rather than reload all my data, photos, etc and then have the iMac fail again.  Never had trouble with any other Mac so maybe it was a lemon.

The person who bought the iMac was aware of the problems I had but he is computer expert and could fix on his own. 

• Reply 4 of 16
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member

For your needs it would be silly to wait for the next iMac refresh.  Just buy now and be done with.  Get an SSD for sure, the speed will blow you away if you never used one before.  

• Reply 5 of 16
    <p>
    so good !cool.gif<br />
     </p>
  • Reply 6 of 16
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

My guess is that the new iMacs are waiting on enough supply of the GT 670/680M for the top end 27" iMacs.  I'd wait out the month and the update likely includes USB 3 and the 650M or better for the model you want.

And hopefully a big price reduction on the BTO SSD price.  $500 for the 256GB SSD is too pricey for me and taking the screen off a brand new iMac to replace the HDD with a SSD gives me the heebie jeebies.  I'd be happier if they used the MBA/MBPR SSD stick behind a door just like memory and made it a user replaceable part. 

• Reply 7 of 16

I would at least wait it out until after the "all hands" meeting Apple is holding this Sunday on 24 June 2012.  If nothing comes out within the week after that then I would wait at the very latest until the Mountain Lion debuts... I have been reading a lot of chatter on all over about the possibility of the new iMac debuting with the new OS.. 

I am in a similar predicament.  I am looking to get the new iMac but do not want to get one and then they release a totally revamped one a few weeks later.. i would kick myself.  I did speak with apple today, and there is a 14day period from when you receive your mac that you can exchange/return and pay the difference.. Might be worth looking into.. 

The only thing I am truly waiting out on for this potential iMac release is the possibility of a Retina Display on a 27"...  

• Reply 8 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="eucsstamticc" url="/t/150663/timing-of-new-imac#post_2131486"]I would at least wait it out until after the "all hands" meeting Apple is holding this Sunday on 24 June 2012.[/QUOTE]

That has nothing to do with any product release.

[QUOTE] If nothing comes out within the week after that then I would wait at the very latest until the Mountain Lion debuts… I have been reading a lot of chatter on all over about the possibility of the new iMac debuting with the new OS.. [/QUOTE]

With? Probably not. "Before" is a valid thought, though.

If we don't see a new iMac launched before or on the day of Mountain Lion's release, then we need to start talking about case redesigns, because that's the only logical explanation.

I hope it's not updated. I've nothing wrong with the current case, I just want to see what Ive has been up to that would warrant a brand new design.
  • Reply 9 of 16

We really have no idea what the "all hands" meeting is about.  Unless you know for a fact.. It could be a possibility.. however slim.. 

You are correct about the "with" statement.. You restated what I attempted to say correctly.  If there is no new iMac on or before the release of Mountain Lion then chances are it will probably come out next year with the new Mac Pro's, and as you stated a case design.  I was going to order an iMac at full spec in a couple weeks so I can pick it up when I get home.. but now with all of the talk about a potential new iMac I might just wait till Mountain Lion is released..

I have no need for a full spec iMac but its one of those things where I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it..  I would definitely like to have a Retina Display if it comes to fruition 

• Reply 10 of 16

Here are a couple good articles that point to a June-July release of the new iMac. 

http://imac.macrumors.com/

http://www.howtoarena.com/category/apple/mac/apple-imac-mac/

I will be waiting through July. 

• Reply 11 of 16
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eucsstamticc View Post

Here are a couple good articles that point to a June-July release of the new iMac. 

http://imac.macrumors.com/

http://www.howtoarena.com/category/apple/mac/apple-imac-mac/

The most recent story was from April =/

• Reply 12 of 16

I'm anxious to see the new Gigabit WiFi on the iMAC. 

Improved wireless communication I feel is key with future products like Apple TV.

Dr. Saponaro

• Reply 13 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    First some background; I'm highly biased against recommending the current iMac to anybody. One of your previous posts highlight why, expensive and difficult to repair.

deleted links.

Obviously nobody on this forum really knows what Apple is up too. However I just can't see them waiting until fall.

Generally the advice is to buy when you need something. However for Apple hardware there is a qualification to that advice, which is to wait until after a new product debut if you have a strong feeling it is about to happen. There are two reasons. One is that value wise it is best to buy Apple products at release. Second Apple does innovate and as such you may see some significantly enhanced hardware or something totally new. The example here is the Retina Mac Pro.

That is a good move. I would take that time to reconsider the iMac. Realistically buying a MBP of some sort is a better value.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member

I'm willing to bet that the new iMac will be released right around the time OS X Mountain Lion hits the Mac App Store.  Which means it should be out by the end of July.  Apple has changed its schedule a little bit.  They never used to release new hardware in July — ever.  That pattern changed last year.

• Reply 15 of 16

Thank you for the response Wizard69. 

I do not need an iMac in the sense of "i cant wait!" .. I currently have a 2010 MBP 17".  With an i7, 500gb HDD, and 4gbRAM.  The computer I have is working just as well as the day I bought it.  

With that being said, I am looking to change my line up.  I travel a lot and the 10pound MBP is just unrealistic, for carrying and weight limits on helicopters to and from offshore work locations in the oil industry.  When I travel I do NOT need heavy computing power so I am looking for basically a "HQ" if you will with a powerful home setup such as a new iMac, and a more reasonable traveling mac.. such as an AIR.  A Mac Pro is way to powerful for my needs.. as much as I would like to brag.. It would just be ridiculous for me to have that much power.. it would be a waste for me LOL...

I definitely have the time to wait.. I've been checking out the iMacs for sometime now.. I feel the screen resolution is amazing.. so even if a 2012 iMac is just a step up on internals it will be good for me... the possibility of a Retina on an iMac is wonderful to entertain but it will not be a deal breaker for me.  hell my 2010 MBP 17" has good resolution lol I'm not a stickler for that kind of thing.... you may have the most amazing resolution ever but if your internals are crap who cares right?! 

The main thing that leads me to believe the iMac will be coming with the ML release is the news of "desktop and portable" third party calling a vacation blackout, the APPLE debacle of removing "iMac" from its 2013 layout, and saying nothing about it whatsoever.. Their best selling portables have been upgraded for ML release, now time for the best selling desktops to be upgraded.. i can understand not doing it on the same day as to not steal the thunder from another device line.. Also just as last year new Desktops were released with the new OS.  

The iPhone is sure to come with iOS6 pretty much a sure bet as we have come to expect a yearly upgrade, and with the overseas media stating "the iPhone 5 will outdo the new samsung". Besides, it is usually the "Fall" seasonal device.

The iTV should be here for the holidays with reports of that manufacturer, i believe FoxConn, pretty much doubling their demand for the third quarter.

Also a side note.. I wonder what their FY ends.. Quarter3 may be here now for them.. and the supply is up as we try to uncover this.. maybe ramping up for iMac... 

• Reply 16 of 16

Here is an interesting pattern some might want to note.

Apple "all hands meeting" sometime between Feb22-Feb25

Ipad 3 launch date March 7th. 

Apple "all hands meeting" May 22nd.  

rMBP launch date June 11th.

Apple "all hands meeting" June 24th

iMac launch date ??July??(with or prior to an already announced OS update)

All this talk of "apple doesn't hold all hands meeting prior to product launch" is complete bologna.