Rumor: Online battery test log points to possible 13-inch Retina Display MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An as-yet unannounced MacBook Pro model made an appearance in the log of an online battery test archive with a machine identifier possibly pointing to a 13-inch version of Apple's Retina Display-toting notebook lineup.

Unconfirmed data found by AppleInsider reader Sam shows a listing on battery performance compiler Mini Battery Logger's website for a "MacBookPro10,2" which could be a next-generation version of Apple's 13-inch notebook if the company's coding scheme is followed.

It should be made clear that AppleInsider cannot vouch for the legitimacy of the log listing and merely offers the finding for discussion.

The recently-released 13-inch MacBook Pro is labeled "MacBookPro9,2" while the 15-inch model is "MacBookPro9,1." Apple flipped the numbering scheme with the current models as the company previously assigned the "MacBookProX,1" code to smaller-screened notebooks while larger versions carried the "MacBookProX,2" code as seen with the previous generation "MacBookPro8,1" and "MacBookPro8,2" which 13-inches and 15-inches, respectively.

Following the new numbering system, Apple named the next-generation Retina Display-toting 15-inch MacBook Pro "MacBookPro10,1" as seen in Tuesday's benchmark test and Geekbench Browser search results, thus the "MacBookPro10,2" code found online could logically be a smaller unannounced 13-inch Retina Display model.

According to the log listing, the last data upload date was April 25, 2012 after the battery had undergone only four cycles. As there are no logs for the new 15-inch Retina Display MacBook Pro on the site, the formerly-undiscovered log listing could either be a prototype or just a mis-labeled device.

MBP Battery
"MacBookPro10,2" listing points to 13-inch Retina Display MacBook Pro. | Source: Mini Battery Logger

While the site doesn't list machine specs or benchmarks, the data mined from the battery does fit the specs for a next-gen 13-inch MacBook Pro. The voltage output is similar to current Apple notebooks with a design capacity of 6580 mAh, which is much higher than the regular small-screen Pro's 5770 mAh and nears the 6900 mAh cells found in 15-inch models. The battery was manufactured in early March by SMP, a company Apple previously sourced parts from but seemingly not on a side-scale basis.

As of this writing, the specific battery used in "MacBookPro10,2" is not used in any other laptop on the website's data log.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64

I was just thinking today that a 13-inch version of the new Retina display MBP would be right up my alley. I've currently got a 15-inch MBP, and would be totally willing to make the display real estate sacrifice for a 13-inch Retina. I'd like something more portable, but I'm a little hesitant to make the speed and I/O sacrifice of the Air. 

I'm thinking:

13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display (early 2013)

$1499

2880 by 1800 pixel display 2560x1600

3.5 pounds, 0.71 inch thin

2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (or 2.9 GHz Core i7); maybe Haswell?

8 GB memory

256 GB flash storage (upgradeable to 512 GB)

Intel HD Graphics 4000

NVIDIA GeForce GT650M with 512 MB memory (it'd be nice to have discrete graphics in a 13" package)

2x USB 3

2x Thunderbolt

1x SDXC

FaceTime HD

There's so much I like about the new Retina MBP. I'm sure that some of the price is being managed by being a premium 15-inch product (kind of like how Tesla is making only luxury cars). But hopefully the design/tech will trickle down like it always has. 

• Reply 2 of 64
    vishalcavishalca Posts: 11member

Now THIS is what I want. Perfect size for portability, amazing display and power. Not to mention HDMI (possibly?) in row.

• Reply 3 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    2 days ago I would have wanted this but now I think I might just hold out for the iMac with the Retina Displays which probably won't come until at least 2013.

I'm thinking:
    2880 by 1800 pixel display

I don't see that happening. A doubling of the resolution seems most likely, which brings it to 2560x1600.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Maybe it's a 17 inch instead. That would make more sense than a 13 inch. I think there would be more professionals that would rather buy a 17 inch than a 13 inch Retina which is what this is geared towards.

• Reply 5 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    drblank wrote: »
    Maybe it's a 17 inch instead. That would make more sense than a 13 inch. I think there would be more professionals that would rather buy a 17 inch than a 13 inch Retina which is what this is geared towards.

I'm pretty sure 13" notebooks far exceed 17" notebooks in unit sales.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

lol... if they release a 13" MBPR, I seriously doubt it'll have any GPU in it let alone the 650m... 

• Reply 7 of 64

The 17" is back!

• Reply 8 of 64
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

This only makes sense to me. Yeah, I agree that it will probably have just an Intel graphics chip in it. Its pretty packed inside and I don't see where there's any room for a separate graphics chip. Its been said the Intel 4000 graphics can push a retina display. I believe this is the reason why you don't see a separate graphics chip in the current 13" MBP. I think that would be really nice to see a retina 13" MBP. 

• Reply 9 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Don't get your hopes up. If Apple was going to update the 17", they would have on Monday. There's no reason why they wouldn't have. There was nothing holding them back from at least giving the current ones Ivy Bridge chips. 

• Reply 10 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Pretty sure Apple wants to ease their whole line into Retina displays, it'll just take time to roll it out. Maybe within 3 years?

• Reply 11 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2 days ago I would have wanted this but now I think I might just hold out for the iMac with the Retina Displays which probably won't come until at least 2013.

I don't see that happening. A doubling of the resolution seems most likely, which brings it to 2560x1600.

Oops, that's what I meant. 4x the current 13" resolution. Thanks for the correction.

• Reply 12 of 64
    thesuitthesuit Posts: 1member

If you do the math (Voltage times Current), it equals about 80Wh, compared to the current 95Wh in the 15.4", that's ~85% capacity.

Guess what 85% of 15.4" is. Right. ~13"

I find in a lot of products that you can relate battery capacity to the number of pixels/screensize with pretty good accuracy, if you're talking about

similar pixel depths.

My guess is this comes out as 'one more thing' when announcing the new iMacs somewhere this year.

• Reply 13 of 64
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

This makes no sense.

As mentioned before, the 13" model sells many more units than the 17" model.

Secondly, if Apple were commited to the 17" size, they simply would have upgraded the hardware as they did with the 13" and non-Retina 15" MacBook Pros. They completely removed the 17" model from the store.

Lastly, the battery test results point to a smaller notebook, not a larger one based on the energy usage parameters.

Accept reality: the 17" MacBook Pro has gone the way of the dinosaur.

• Reply 14 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Don't get your hopes up. If Apple was going to update the 17", they would have on Monday. There's no reason why they wouldn't have. There was nothing holding them back from at least giving the current ones Ivy Bridge chips. 

Apple has always described their 17" as the flagship of the Pro notebook line. The 17" base models have always out-speced the 15". Maybe Apple wants to stay with that rule and not have an underspeced 17 below the new Retina 15's. The 17" unibodies trailed the 15" to market, maybe...

You have to believe!

• Reply 15 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by ressurrector17 View Post

Apple has always described their 17" as the flagship of the Pro notebook line. The 17" base models have always out-speced the 15". Maybe Apple wants to stay with that rule and not have an underspeced 17 below the new Retina 15's. The 17" unibodies trailed the 15" to market, maybe...

You have to believe!

I seriously doubt Apple thinks the 17" laptop...something thats less than 1% of Mac sales (1.7% of notebook sales) is their flagship notebook. It wouldn't make any sense for them not to update it at WWDC along with the rest of the line up. Its not like they're planning something extra special for something that doesn't sell and doesn't really fit into their notebook lineup anymore. Everything is going smaller, thinner, etc. The 17" doesn't fit what they're trying to accomplish. 

You're like the people who were completely convinced PowerBook G5's were coming someday. 

• Reply 16 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This makes no sense.

As mentioned before, the 13" model sells many more units than the 17" model.

Secondly, if Apple were commited to the 17" size, they simply would have upgraded the hardware as they did with the 13" and non-Retina 15" MacBook Pros. They completely removed the 17" model from the store.

Lastly, the battery test results point to a smaller notebook, not a larger one based on the energy usage parameters.

Accept reality: the 17" MacBook Pro has gone the way of the dinosaur.

NOOOOOOO!

...they are just waiting on better production yield results on the 17" retina screen, that's all.

• Reply 17 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ...they are just waiting on better production yield results on the 17" retina screen, that's all.

Then they wouldn't have discontinued the old model
  • Reply 18 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then they wouldn't have discontinued the old model

Right...if anything, they would have updated the existing models with Ivy Bridge chips. 

• Reply 19 of 64

Quote:

I seriously doubt Apple thinks the 17" laptop...something thats less than 1% of Mac sales (1.7% of notebook sales) is their flagship notebook. It wouldn't make any sense for them not to update it at WWDC along with the rest of the line up. Its not like they're planning something extra special for something that doesn't sell and doesn't really fit into their notebook lineup anymore. Everything is going smaller, thinner, etc. The 17" doesn't fit what they're trying to accomplish. 

You're like the people who were completely convinced PowerBook G5's were coming someday. 

The 17" has never had a high percentage of Apples's notebook sales. They did more than just "think" of it as their flagship notebook, they called it that on their website. Walk into any creative content company and tell me the percentage of 17" Macbook Pros you see versus the 13 and 15's. It's all about screen real estate in a mobile platform. If a 15"retina will allow more workspace than an older 17", then a 17"retina will allow that much more. The iMacs will get retina and the Cinema Displays will get retina....it all doesn't end with the "smaller and thinner" 15.

The creative industry is in Apple's DNA, they won't abandon it.

• Reply 20 of 64

Quote:

Right...if anything, they would have updated the existing models with Ivy Bridge chips. 

Apple has never had a 15 out-spec a 17...and a 15 Retina out-specs a 17 non-Retina, no matter what the chip is.