Microsoft's 'major' June 18 event said to showcase Windows RT tablets

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Then buy a Windows 8 - based tablet that uses an i5/i7 CPU instead. Then you DO have the killer device you mentioned. 

Will the Window 8 tablets run on car batteries with little casters under them, or do you think they will just use a thick power cord?

• Reply 42 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

I have a feeling the first sentence should have read that Microsoft has a "massive to make."  That makes much more sense.  Although a "massive" from Balmer is a scary thought.

A massive gassive, far from passive?

• Reply 43 of 84
    mavfan1mavfan1 Posts: 50member

as an iPad owner I hope the Microsoft tablets are a success and push Apple to do an even better job on the next iPad.  I don't get all the hate.  If Windows does well on the tablet it doesn't mean you're any less of a person if you own an iPad.  Some people take this too personally.  More competition means better products for everyone.  

• Reply 44 of 84
    focherfocher Posts: 688member
    lamewing wrote: »
    Then buy a Windows 8 - based tablet that uses an i5/i7 CPU instead. Then you DO have the killer device you mentioned. 

Those same consumers that you mentioned would be just as confused with the continuing fragmentation of capabilities across iOS devices. [Facetime over 3g only works on iPhone 4S model, not the iPhone 4. Don't forget the lack of Siri on the iPhone 4 even though it even worked on the 3GS before Apple bought the tech - cough BS....] 
    Actually, those consumers don't seem confused at all. There's a difference between "if you want all the features get the latest model" versus "these are the latest models - some do this, this, and this and the others do that, that, and that".

The only place Windows 8 tablets will sell is to corporate IT departments who will force them on users, and those users will hate them and just ask why can't they use an iPad. The ship has sailed in the tablet market.
  • Reply 45 of 84
    tmallontmallon Posts: 39member

The next playbook....  ha ha ha

• Reply 46 of 84
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,829member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I'm gonna queue myself around the block for this one.

Comment of the day - I'd like to see that! image

• Reply 47 of 84
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I don't think this event will be all about Windows 8. It will most likely be about Windows Phone 8.

• Reply 48 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    bobborries wrote: »
    LL
    There are no words to describe how bad that looks.:o
  • Reply 49 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    rogifan wrote: »

Which one? I'm personally not digging the drop shadows and chamfers on the bottom one…
  • Reply 50 of 84
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

Windows 1.0? It had everything Calendar, Calculator, file explorer, and so much more! I don’t see anything different from Vista. I mean killer drop-shadow on the calculator! That is some 3D eye-popping madness! :)

Windows 3.11 OMG  We can drag windows around and customize their size until we plead insanity. Lets also not forget about the sweet Minesweeper, Solitaire and Hearts! Windows 3.11 was sheer bliss.

Wndows XP- Extra Problems, well actually this is probably the best OS MS designed, took them long enough though, still lots of problems, ddl architecture is still there, memory management still as crappy as ever, 

Lets not even discuss Windows 98, ME, Bob or even clippy. Just as well Apple had its head so far up its butt at the time.

Which leads us to NT , Nice Try MS , the code base is still the same with at least some attempts at isolating the kernel. 

MS start project Longhorn which was scrapped after a few years. rumor has it that they had to throw all the code out it was so badly done.

I guess they had to resurrect some of the NT code base to get Vista going why Vista, apart from the fact that we have been living with Viruses, Intruders, Spyware, Trojans and Adware for a decade, why would MS name their latest OS in this way, beats me!

oh the Start Menu that we have all come to know and love is over 10 years old. Should really be called the "Restart menu, or for purists the CTRL_ALT_DEL" menu. It had its celebrity debut back in Windows 95…along with the adorable “Did you know” tips. 

which brings us to Windows 7 and 8 , and RT

RT us another attempt at taking the server hegemony of NT/RT into it next iteration and trying to shoehorn it into the consumer desktop.tablet

Its so schizophrenic who knows how long it will take MS to get all the bugs out, if history is anything to go by expect to wait at least 3 years after its debut before it is stable. Looks like we are in for another few years of hell doing all of MS's testing. ahhhhhhh

or wait a minute you could buy ........ OSX or iOS, say it ain't soooooooo

• Reply 51 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Yes, there are: Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In:

laughinalbum.jpg

• Reply 52 of 84
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

MS is actually under the impression that consumers will want this. 

Lmao

• Reply 53 of 84
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It'd be easier to list what they won't copy.

they won't copy Apple's "wait until it is ready to actually go on sale before you show it cause no one will remember this in six months" tactic. 

• Reply 54 of 84
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How you get 7 I don't know.

Apple has like 30

WiFi + Cellular + Verizon + AT&T + Black + White + 16GB + 32GB + 64GB

Those are all the same tablet just in different sizes etc. 

Unlike Microsoft which as at least two variants the RT and the Windows 8 which won't cross over in any way. 

and then there's the 50 or so just enough different Android tablets. 

• Reply 55 of 84
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

For those complaining, the color schemes for Windows 8 very user-adjustable.

I know you guys don't want to hear this, but this is superior technology to iOS.

Why?  For starters, dynamic icons are more useful that static icons.  The whole experience is more engaging than anything iOS provides.  The whole "glance & go" metaphor makes iOS look quite dated.

Since most of you are old farts that are resistant to change and have AAPL stock, you'll say I'm wrong, but none of you will be able to say why.

We've had the desktop metaphor for 30 years.  It's time for a change.  Sad that it wasn't apple to think of it first.

• Reply 56 of 84
    shenshen Posts: 434member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavfan1 View Post

as an iPad owner I hope the Microsoft tablets are a success and push Apple to do an even better job on the next iPad.  I don't get all the hate.  If Windows does well on the tablet it doesn't mean you're any less of a person if you own an iPad.  Some people take this too personally.  More competition means better products for everyone.  

Despite how often it is repeated, as if it is one of the prayers of the modern American, more competition not only doesn't always mean better products, it frequently means worse.  Behold the cell phone market and the multiple bands and antennas, exhibit A.

*If* a good tablet from MS meant the next iPad would do better, I would agree.  However great products from Apple did nothing to improve windows for decades, quality software performance (if not design) from Linux similarly did nothing to push Apple or Redmond.  Dr. DOS only served to be copied, stolen, broken, and ultimately lost in the mists of time.  And on, and on, and on.

..but you keep hope alive, K?

• Reply 57 of 84
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

Balmer is being fired...that would be major announcement thats about it.

• Reply 58 of 84
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Wonder what a Windows RT BSOD looks like?

:)

A bruised METRO sexual?..
  • Reply 59 of 84
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Engineers as a group have a remarkable lack of taste. While they can appreciate good design, they cannot usually create it.
    Short version. I got to use one of those Nokias with the new winphone (that funky blue) just before they were released to the public. The AT&T guy said it was ok but he really liked his iPhone over it. I played with it a bit and showed him how I didn't like the way it clipped text and the edge of those boxes. He thought I was a bit dense as if I didn't realize you could scroll down to see the rest of the box that was clipped. I pointed out that I shouldn't have too scroll.

No matter how good the concept Microsft can't sweat the details. Dive in more than a layer or two deep and it will always default to some screen that looks like Win-95. And having a tablet version that can run on Arm but not run your favorite program unless its been ported is a non starter. And having a full boat version of Windows on a I7 powered tablet is great but the one hour battery life....not so much. Shades of Win 7 basic, home basic, home fair to midlin, home premium, home custom deluxe, business.......yeah not exactly a winning combination.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    nim81nim81 Posts: 16member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonGurney View Post

There is a lot to like in Windows 8. I left my iPad in the draw for a week as a bit of challenge and, well, lets put it this way, I genuinely believe iOS has more to learn from Win8 than Win8 has to learn from iOS.

Who else has tried the preview releases? Or are you just making judgement based on pictures and videos? :D

Not meaning to flame or anything :)

Peace

Me, I have it on my desktop PC and have been using it for a while. I'd imagine it'll work OK for tablet devices, but it's a horrible way to run an OS on a big widescreen monitor with keyboard and mouse. Also someone made the point that it's like looking at a screen full of banner ads, I agree with that. I really don't understand where Microsoft are going with the whole Metro UI - everything is big and gaudy and full of 32 point text that has to scroll on your 24" monitor.

The concept itself of the tiles definitely has some legs, but the simplistic colour schemes and horrible MS-Paint backgrounds make it look cheap and nasty. I'm not sure why they can't at least give you the option to use the more elegant layout of the app store or Xbox sections, which have a nice white gradient and look a lot easier on the eye.

The one thing I really like is the app switcher thing on the left side of the screen, it makes working in a remote desktop environment much more streamlined.

I know people always complain about major changes in these sort of things and they normally end up getting used to it, but I honestly think MS is going to have a disaster on their hands with Windows 8 that will far outshadow the negative publicity with Vista. I can't see the tablets gaining enough traction in the market (the stupid branding won't help) and they've basically ruined their desktop OS - Windows 7 is a fine operating system. I really wouldn't be surprised if they have to bring out a Windows 8.5 or even Windows 9 within a year to try and rescue their market.