Why not a mini TiBook instead of a big iBook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The 14 inch iBook is a welcome addition in my opinion but I think many will agree it doesn't have as much appeal as either the Powerbook or the iBook.

What I don't understand is why Apple didn't come out with a smaller Powerbook. I think it would sell far better than a 14 inch iBook.

something like

13.1 inch LCD (1024 x768)

128 MB RAM

550 Mhz G4 (or 600 Mhz g3)

20GB HD

1 Firewire port

2 USB ports

DVD drive or CDRW

$1799 or $1899

maybe even a 12.1 inch screen.

they could make this machine thinner than the powerbook and probably near 3 pounds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I guess cause the iBook is cheaper to make, therefore cheaper to buy.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    A mini-Ti is the laptop equivalent of the Cube: a Pro machine marketed towards consumers.

Now we all know how successfull they were the first time around...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xool:

<strong>A mini-Ti is the laptop equivalent of the Cube: a Pro machine marketed towards consumers.

Now we all know how successfull they were the first time around...</strong><hr></blockquote>

would it really be marketed at consumers? or would it be its own market?

because right now I don't see a clear market for the 14 inch iBook. It's a consumer machine I guess but it's priced right between the 12 inch iBook and Powerbook making it more like a prosumer option and prosumers need a bit more power. I think that has been Apple's weak point over the years. Having something for that person that needs just a little bit more than either an iMac or iBook and can't spend 2000+ on a professional mac.

The new iMac solves most of that on the desktop side I think but the new iBook doesn't really do it IMO

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 18
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I think it's for people that liked the iBook but didn't buy it because the screen was too small. Now it's not, so go buy one type of thing.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    That'd be sweet! small, thinner pb would be awesome. either 12.1 or 10.4 screens would be good. i would probably buy one. it'd be great cause you wouldn't even notice it cause it's so small. ULTRA PORTABLE
  • Reply 6 of 18
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    [quote]Originally posted by Max8319:

<strong>That'd be sweet! small, thinner pb would be awesome. either 12.1 or 10.4 screens would be good. i would probably buy one. it'd be great cause you wouldn't even notice it cause it's so small. ULTRA PORTABLE</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well a subnotebook that doesn't have an internal optical drive would be another story. This product would sell well-enough and is different enough from the rest of the product matrix to not canibalize too many sales. In fact, if Apple makes the 14" iBook the standard iBook model then they could convert the 12" model into a subnotebook and everyone would be happy.

That and the proverbial TabletMac.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xool:

<strong>

Well a subnotebook that doesn't have an internal optical drive would be another story. This product would sell well-enough and is different enough from the rest of the product matrix to not canibalize too many sales. In fact, if Apple makes the 14" iBook the standard iBook model then they could convert the 12" model into a subnotebook and everyone would be happy.

That and the proverbial TabletMac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

no they wouldn't. most people like the 12 inch iBook over the 14 inch and wouldn't want it any other way except for better specs.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

something like

13.1 inch LCD (1024 x768)

128 MB RAM

550 Mhz G4 (or 600 Mhz g3)

20GB HD

1 Firewire port

2 USB ports

DVD drive or CDRW

$1799 or $1899

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Stick a Combo drive and PC Card slot in it and I'd buy one.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>I guess cause the iBook is cheaper to make, therefore cheaper to buy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i think you've got the essential point.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Marketing, Profit.

If you make a smaller TiBook, it will cannibalize the high-margin TiBook sales. Why spend $2200 when you can spend $1800 for almost the same thing?

If you make a larger iBook, it will give people a reason to step up. Why spend $1500 when for just $1800 you can get more?

(Step 1: Get underwear...

Step 3: Profit!!)
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Since I upgraded my PowerMac G3/266 to G3/500, I have been waiting for an ultra-slim powerbook

from Apple. I ended up to have a Sony Vaio C1 (2.2 lbs only!). The Sony C1 is such a cute machine that it has generated the passion for years among the owners as enjoyed by Mac users. This is very unusual in the Wintel world. For me, although I have to use my PowerMac G3 at work, I really enjoy the Sony C1. Actually, I spent more time with my C1 more than Macs ever since I had the little cute thing.

Now I am again waiting for a nice PowerBook so I can work with (Wintel does not have my crucial software: Textures) to replace my aged G3. Although TiBook is OK with me, but I really like to have a smaller version. Comparing to C1, even the iBook is a GIANT!

It is so urly, in my opinion, to see somebody in the airport to carry a large bag with only one piece of metal-like computer huddled inside. They include us, the Mac users. When I see such a person, I feel sorry for him.

I am not going to carry a 5-lb metal around.

Any notebook that is heavier than 3lbs certainly reduces its mobility.

For most of users, you only need a small machine so you can check the emails and browse the web sites! If you really want to work on your PORTABLE, connect to a large monitor.

I really wish Apple can build such A TRUE PORTABLE!

My dream machine: less than 3 lbs, at least 6 hour battery life, faster than G4/800 with MacOS X!

Apple, are you listening?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Since I upgraded my PowerMac G3/266 to G3/500, I have been waiting for an ultra-slim powerbook

from Apple. I ended up to have a Sony Vaio C1 (2.2 lbs only!). The Sony C1 is such a cute machine that it has generated the passion for years among the owners as enjoyed by Mac users. This is very unusual in the Wintel world. For me, although I have to use my PowerMac G3 at work, I really enjoy the Sony C1. Actually, I spent more time with my C1 more than Macs ever since I had the little cute thing.

Now I am again waiting for a nice PowerBook so I can work with (Wintel does not have my crucial software: Textures) to replace my aged G3. Although TiBook is OK with me, but I really like to have a smaller version. Comparing to C1, even the iBook is a GIANT!

It is so urly, in my opinion, to see somebody in the airport to carry a large bag with only one piece of metal-like computer huddled inside. They include us, the Mac users. When I see such a person, I feel sorry for him.

I am not going to carry a 5-lb metal around.

Any notebook that is heavier than 3lbs certainly reduces its mobility.

For most of users, you only need a small machine so you can check the emails and browse the web sites! If you really want to work on your PORTABLE, connect to a large monitor.

I really wish Apple can build such A TRUE PORTABLE!

My dream machine: less than 3 lbs, at least 6 hour battery life, faster than G4/800 with MacOS X!

Apple, are you listening?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Hey MirrorGuy, I guess I see where I got your screename.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>

Uh... you don't get it. people would pay MORE for a smaller PowerBook. This is the concept behind the term subnotebook. Which do you think is cheaper, a 13" or a 15" Sony notebook? The 15" notebook is cheaper!

Make a 13" widescreen, 1152x768, miniTi for $2500 and I'd sell my 400 and buy one immediately. I think Escher would agree with me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you say so.

Re-reading applenut's original post, he's looking for something as big as or smaller than the 12" iBook. In this case, I could see why someone would pay a premium.

Still, designing a new, smaller board wouldn't be trivial. If you shrink both depth and width, it would preclude the case design from being entirely modular, which would add some manufacturing costs.

I wouldn't mind seeing such a TiBook, but I don't know if Apple would be willing to have too many boards. I haven't opened up a new 14" iBook, but I would guess that that board isn't too different than the current 12" board. I don't know if you can assume the same for the TiBook. Last time I looked, it's pretty packed in there.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I think that the new 14" iBook is an interesting machine. It's very similar to the Pismo of two years ago.

But looking at the machine, it is a bit underpowered.

Pismo:

500 MHz G3

18 GB HD

256 MB RAM (expandable to 1 GB)

PC Card Slot

DVD-ROM (Expansion bay)

Dual battery capability

2 Firewire

2 USB

Sound in

Sound out

Video out

S-Video

Ethernet

56k Modem

Airport ready

8 MB ATi Rage Mobility

14.1" TFT @ 1024x768

5.9 Pounds

iBook:

600 MHz G3

20 GB HD

256 MB RAM (expandable to 640 MB)

No PC Card Slot

DVD-ROM/CD-RW (No Expansion bay)

Single battery capability

1 Firewire

2 USB

No Sound in port

Sound out

Video Mirroring

No S-Video

Ethernet

56k Modem

Airport Ready

8 MB ATi Rage Mobility

14.1" TFT @ 1024x768

5.9 Pounds

Amazing to see that the 2 year old PowerBook still really competes with today's offerings, even if they are half the price.

I just wish they'd upgrade that video card. Giants: Citizen Kabuto requires 16 MB VRAM. It's the first game I can't run on my PowerBook.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I'm afraid I get annoyed at people on these threads that worry about "cannibalizing" one product with another.

Who cares if a high-end iMac cannibalizes a low-end PowerMac. The same with iBooks and Powerbooks. Apple gets a healthy margin on all of them and trying to outwit the consumer and dropping good products because of the persecption of consumer vs. pro is self defeating.

Just make the best products with the fastest speeds that you can a the obvious price points. As long as you cover the needs of you market you will do well, whether you get an extra $100 from a PB purchase or not.

If there is a market for an 11-12 inch subnotebook, and you know there is, why not offer one? Without an optical drive and with great battery life. Sony has proved it. Who cares if it cannibalizes another product. The point is to keep people buying macs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Sony is successful as an electronics maker because it doesn't care if products cannibalize each other, it keeps putting them out and if they don't pay off, they drop them. Apple is so freaked about any failure at all that it limits itself.

At one point it seemed Apple had too large and complicated a product line and Stevie cut it down and simplified it. Simplifying was good and making it more logical is good, but limiting consumer choice wasn't and isn't. Apples problem wasn't in the number of products but the ill defined and badly marketed aspect of the products.

The thin feel and aspect ratio of the TiBook would translate into a great subnotebook and I would think, most of the R&D work would be done by now. As with the iPod, I wonder if you could sync it with your desktop and recharge the battery?!?!?!

I also think the cube could easily be reintroduced and remarketed at a better price point and if it takes a little from the iMac or PowerMac, so what! Apple's got the cash to wait until they all make 30% margin. And again, with the cube, the R&D expenses are already done!

So I would propose a 10 - 11 inch widescreen aspect ratio subnotebook with the Ti look and maybe the iBook magnesium insides, with no optical drive, FW for external drives (... like the iPod!) .... downloading apps and syncing files, Airport and of course audio out... and I bet they could make it for $6-700.

Edit...besides, whatelse are they going to do with all of those G3's they are going to have lying around. A 10" screen doesn't need a G4 cause no one is going to be doing Photoshop on it....and the other apps that could use Altivec won't be such a big deal in the subnotebook market either.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: MacGregor ]</p>