Apple planning to launch standalone podcast app in iOS 6

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Podcast will reportedly be broken out of the iTunes application for iOS and given their own standalone software, with the release of iOS 6 this fall.

Citing people familiar with Apple's plans, Peter Kafka of All Things D reported on Friday that the new podcast application in iOS 6 will allow users "to discover, download and play" Internet programs on their mobile devices. The move would mirror a change instituted in iOS 5, when Apple separated its iPod application into separate options for Music and Videos.

Currently, podcasts can be viewed and downloaded through the iTunes application in iOS. But unlike with the desktop version of iTunes, users cannot subscribe to podcasts and have new episodes of programs automatically downloaded.

In addition to discovering and downloading podcasts, the new application will also be used to play back Internet-based programs. Users currently listen to podcasts downloaded from iTunes through the Music application in iOS.

In iOS 5 and prior, users must launch the iTunes application and search for their favorite shows to download them. Or, when listening to an episode in the Music application, a link to the iTunes app offers users the ability to download more episodes.

Podcasts

While podcasts will apparently be found in a separate application in iOS 6, Apple reportedly has no plans to make such a change in the desktop version of iTunes, found on both Mac and PC.

While Apple offers podcasts for download through iTunes, some of the more popular shows on the Internet have begun offering their own standalone iOS applications that allow users to stream programs, like comedian Adam Carolla's ACE Broadcasting, and Leo Laporte's TWiT. In addition, applications like iCatcher also offer dedicated podcast downloading, playback and subscription functionality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member

I guess that's fine, but we already have plenty of good options in Downcast, Instacast, and Pocket Casts.

• Reply 2 of 36
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    It's already separate on AppleTV.
    All the networks with apps on iPad will be on AppleTV.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Yes, please. Also, please make one for videos taken with the camera. It's an absurd to save them in the photos app when there's a video app.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    Hopefully there will be iCloud integration that will keep track of the podcasts you have already seen/heard like on iTunes for the desktop.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    drfreemandrfreeman Posts: 111member

Any iTunes diet is welcomed... 

• Reply 6 of 36
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member

Please have this be the beginning of the decontruction of iTunes.

• Reply 7 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    drfreeman wrote: »
    Any iTunes diet is welcomed... 

This is for iOS, not MacOS where it is actually needed
  • Reply 8 of 36
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    charlituna wrote: »

iTunes 11
  • Reply 9 of 36

Does  anybody really use  podcasts?

• Reply 10 of 36
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    This will be annoying as far as I'm concerned. Pretty much the only place I listen to podcasts is in the car and this will break my iPod integration. I guess I can manually open the app for playback but I won't be able navigate everything through iDrive on my navigation screen.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member

TWiT.tv

Best on the web...
  • Reply 12 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

I enjoy quite a number of them, including "Car Talk."

• Reply 13 of 36
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Before adding more stock apps which I probably won't use, I wish Apple would give the option to hide them from the home screen without jailbreaking. It's bad enough being stuck with that 'Stocks' app which I've never seen anybody use.

• Reply 14 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    lvidal wrote: »
    Yes, please. Also, please make one for videos taken with the camera. It's an absurd to save them in the photos app when there's a video app.

You mean, save them to the existing Videos app?
  • Reply 15 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Oh yeah.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    drfreemandrfreeman Posts: 111member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Same goes for iOS!

There are a few items hidden in the more section of the Music section! Making them standalone may be a good idea!

• Reply 17 of 36
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member

I use it but as there isn't one for the iPad I use the free Bloomberg for iPad app.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/id364304764?s=143455

Btw, I'm another person that checks out and watches podcasts once in awhile. Another similar app I like is TED.

• Reply 18 of 36
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Is about all I listen to anymore. Very little music is played on my iDevices.

My only concern is there will be some "mysterious issue" which will prevent this feature from working on iPhone 4's and iPad 2's.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    cabassicabassi Posts: 28member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Totally. Some of us make them, too.

• Reply 20 of 36
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

As long as this "feature" doesn't come to OS X I'm cool.  I really don't listen to podcasts on my iOS devices anyway (I use an iPod Classic for most all my portable music listening).

iTunes being the one source for everything is one of the main reasons I love it.  Please Apple, DO NOT break up iTunes into a five or six apps on the Mac.  What a nightmare that would be.