IF NVIDIA IS IN IT...............LOOK OUT!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

BETTER GET YOURSELF SOME BOILER PROOF INSURANCE ON WHATEVER YOU GET WITH NVIDIA.  GOOGLE NVIDIA AND TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT THE DID "US" JUST A SHORT TIME AGO. NVIDIA IS BAD NEWS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Yes, the chips run hot. That's a common joke to be made.

And yes, the 8600M failed spectacularly.

Did you mean to post this in another thread?

• Reply 2 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

The 650M is 28nm, interestingly. Here's hoping it runs well and doesn't cause any major issues like the 8600 debacle.

• Reply 3 of 8

I go way back with APPLE.  To their BLACK APPLES.  Over the years I got hooked on HP. Until I got burned--------bad---------with the NVIDIA.  I am not as sophisticated as the majority of you are.  I buy the stuff and expect it to work.  Post Hurricane Katrina I bought the HP that had the Nvidia ,but, worse yet I bought portable printer, laser printer for the office, HP camera, cables and such to run everything from my vehicle and an extended warranty.  What I am saying is if APPLE goes with NVIDIA or sticks with NVIDIA I WILL NEVER BUY ONE.  Nothing that has NVIDIA will I ever own.  Nor, HP.  NVIDIA BAD. Stay away.  Got it?

• Reply 4 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I go way back with APPLE.  To their BLACK APPLES.

The… Macintosh TV and 20th anniversary Mac?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    While NVidia made a mistake with their production line, they took a hit on the repairs. To give a warranty for 5 years is pretty decent of them. Obviously it's not nice to be on the receiving end of it but after 5 years, your computer isn't worth all that much money anyway so the loss is small and any number of out of warranty failures could have occurred, which wouldn't be fixed. They also worked with Apple after this to develop the best IGP ever made (the 320M), which had no defects and Intel is only surpassing this year. They are major players in high-performance computation and I think they deserve another chance. I for one am looking forward to playing games the way they are meant to be played, I feel inadequate seeing that logo using an AMD GPU.
  • Reply 6 of 8

Marvin,

There you go with that smoke and mirrors---terms I do not have a clue as to which the meaning of.  Here is the thing,,,,,,,,,,,As a school teacher I was responsible--one time--for buying a load of HPS.  I owned an HP pre-Katrina.  That one got killed in the flood.  I WORKED MY A$$ off to get ,what, about $3,000 together to buy THE HP and all of the other stuff  WITH THE NVIDIA inside.  I should have known there was a problem when the FAN NEVER WENT OFF.  NVIDIA had to pay BECAUSE OF A FEDERAL GOVERNMENT MANDATE. JUST GOOGLE NVIDIA AND CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT.  I knew NOTHING about it.  When my HP finally DIED, HP "SUPPORT"--that is a joke--told me, AND I QUOTE,"it was my responsibility as a consumer to monitor their--HP's--website for PRODUCT RECALLS."  I don't think so.  Again, I will never knowingly buy anything that has NVIDIA in it.  I will never buy anything made by HP. I do not play games...I am assuming that your are referring to gaming, so, I will never know what I am missing.  NVIDIA BAD STAY AWAY.  If Apple is gonna use NVIDIA, I guess I will never know what I missed.

• Reply 7 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
     I WORKED MY A$$ off to get ,what, about $3,000 together to buy THE HP and all of the other stuff WITH THE NVIDIA inside.

Again, I will never knowingly buy anything that has NVIDIA in it.  I will never buy anything made by HP. I do not play games...I am assuming that your are referring to gaming, so, I will never know what I am missing.  NVIDIA BAD STAY AWAY.  If Apple is gonna use NVIDIA, I guess I will never know what I missed.

If you don't do anything with 3D or GPU acceleration, Intel's HD 4000 graphics will be fine. Modern machines with dedicated GPUs even have two GPUs so you can disable the NVidia one and never use it.

You only really have the 3 options: NVidia, AMD or Intel. Intel is the slowest and generally least defective but have the worst software support (should be changing though). AMD had an issue in the Mac Pro with the X1900s overheating and the X1600s in the old iMacs were defective too:

NVidia's defect was probably the worst but a 5 year warranty is about as good as they could offer. There are reasons to never buy a machine with an Intel, AMD or NVidia GPU but it has to be one of them. For graphics, I'd personally side with NVidia out of the three.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILLY RAPPOLD View Post

NVIDIA BAD STAY AWAY.  If Apple is gonna use NVIDIA, I guess I will never know what I missed.

I think you're making a mistake focusing on past problems. All tech companies screw up, although that was a big one. I would suggest that you focus on things going forward so that you're not hit by a similar incident just because you've pegged one hardware component vendor as the sole source of all of your problems. That being said, AMD drivers have nowhere near the issues under OSX that they do at times under Windows. They're not always as fast as I'd like under OSX, but most of the time they're stable. I'd still like to see Apple work on their OpenGL framework for Mountain Lion.