Microsoft's 'major' June 18 event said to showcase Windows RT tablets

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Ah, yes, I remember those 1980 years of MS dominance. The word "vaporware" came about because of MS. 

This time through not many folks are looking to MS to lead. Apple has assumed that position since 2007 and has held on tightly. But I think you may be onto something and MS may not fully realize they have not much relevance outside of the PC market. 

Microsoft is so... last century.

Really? http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=0

• Reply 62 of 84

The Zune reborn

• Reply 63 of 84

Will it feature Contrl/Alt/Delete?

What happened to the Courier they announced last fall?  Did it ever ship?

• Reply 64 of 84

Does it include "CNTRL/AL/DELETE   ?

• Reply 65 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Which one? I'm personally not digging the drop shadows and chamfers on the bottom one…
    Either one. They're both horrible. And I thought iOS's skeuomorphic design language was bad (well it still is). :o
  • Reply 66 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    rtm135 wrote: »
    For those complaining, the color schemes for Windows 8 very user-adjustable.

I know you guys don't want to hear this, but this is superior technology to iOS.

Why?  For starters, dynamic icons are more useful that static icons.  The whole experience is more engaging than anything iOS provides.  The whole "glance & go" metaphor makes iOS look quite dated.

Since most of you are old farts that are resistant to change and have AAPL stock, you'll say I'm wrong, but none of you will be able to say why.

We've had the desktop metaphor for 30 years.  It's time for a change.  Sad that it wasn't apple to think of it first.
    Well then I'd be the first one changing it to something that doesn't look like a kids coloring book.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    esstekesstek Posts: 14member
    [B][I]How[/I][/B] is this superior technology to iOS???
  • Reply 68 of 84
    esstekesstek Posts: 14member
    mavfan1 wrote: »
    as an iPad owner I hope the Microsoft tablets are a success and push Apple to do an even better job on the next iPad.  I don't get all the hate.  If Windows does well on the tablet it doesn't mean you're any less of a person if you own an iPad.  Some people take this too personally. More competition means better products for everyone. 

Yeah, just look at the state of the Airlines these days. A bus ride from hell that cost *much* more than it's now worth. De-regulation and increased competition worked great for that industry, didn't it???
    Don't forget the terrestrial and wireless telephone industries as well as the whole banking mess...
  • Reply 69 of 84
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    esstek wrote: »
    Yeah, just look at the state of the Airlines these days. A bus ride from hell that cost *much* more than it's now worth.

No it doesn't. Planes are full. That means that consumers are willing to pay the price being asked and the market says that flights are worth the price.
    esstek wrote: »
    De-regulation and increased competition worked great for that industry, didn't it???

Different situation. The problem airlines have is that they can't easily adjust supply to meet demand and therefore there's a massive incentive to sell seats at whatever price they can get. That, combined with idiots running airline companies who never managed to create a value-added mentality, is what has destroyed the industry.

Tablets are very different.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member

Read this and thought "June 18, let me know when we get closer and maybe I'll care".  Good grief, the year is half over! 

• Reply 71 of 84
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member

Quote:

Originally Posted by esstek View Post

Yeah, just look at the state of the Airlines these days. A bus ride from hell that cost *much* more than it's now worth. De-regulation and increased competition worked great for that industry, didn't it???

Don't forget the terrestrial and wireless telephone industries as well as the whole banking mess...

I'd say it did work out pretty well.  The price of an airline ticket has come way down, the places you can fly has dramatically gone up, and you have actual choices now.  Before all the airlines were EXACTLY the same except for the name on the plane.  Now if you want to fly as cheap as possible you can (Spirit) or if you want to not worry about any additional costs you can (Jetblue and Southwest).  If you want to go international you have many more options as well. 

So yeah, deregulation and more competition has helped a lot.  Now more people can fly than before, and have choices. 

• Reply 72 of 84

Here's the thing....why would Microsoft bother making a tablet or a phone for that matter?! I mean isn't it apparent that Apple has both those arenas sewn up to the point that it is absolutely a joke that MS would even TRY to go head tp head with Apple. Their OS is light years behind Mac's iOS 5. And if they try and copy Apple like so many have they can just get in line at the supreme court and wait in line to get their "You can't copy Apple." Just ask HTC, Motorola, Google....and so on. You go anywhere near Apple's patients, you get sued out of of business. Look at RIMM. Or Blackberry if you didn't know. They are all but out of business. Apple and Macs are where it's at!

• Reply 73 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Here's the thing....why would Microsoft bother making a tablet or a phone for that matter?! I mean isn't it apparent that Apple has both those arenas sewn up to the point that it is absolutely a joke that MS would even TRY to go head tp head with Apple.

Because if Microsoft wants any OS share whatsoever in the future, they have to make products in this field.

Their OS is kind of their reason for existing. They forcibly locked people into their wholly proprietary environment in the 90s, incompatible with all other environments, and now everyone is stuck unless they make the switch, which they're quite happy to do, given that Windows 8 is a worthless piece of trash.
  • Reply 74 of 84
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member

Meh.... (rolls over in the garbage pile)....snooze... snooze....snooze...snooze.... Is that Steve bringing me a two-day old doughnut??? Snooze....snooze.....snooze.... Bomber you clown, not Elop......snooze...snooze....snooze....

• Reply 75 of 84
    shenshen Posts: 434member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No it doesn't. Planes are full. That means that consumers are willing to pay the price being asked and the market says that flights are worth the price.

Different situation. The problem airlines have is that they can't easily adjust supply to meet demand and therefore there's a massive incentive to sell seats at whatever price they can get. That, combined with idiots running airline companies who never managed to create a value-added mentality, is what has destroyed the industry.

Tablets are very different.

...and the cell phone industry is different from the airlines, yet there it is again.  And the OS system, and and and.

A lot of things are different.  Yet repeatedly, competition fails to actually make things better.  In fact it is one of the common denominators.

• Reply 76 of 84
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    jongurney wrote: »
    There is a lot to like in Windows 8. I left my iPad in the draw for a week as a bit of challenge and, well, lets put it this way, I genuinely believe iOS has more to learn from Win8 than Win8 has to learn from iOS.

Who else has tried the preview releases? Or are you just making judgement based on pictures and videos? :D

Not meaning to flame or anything :)

Peace
    I genually agree. The iPad is great, but what's great about is is the hardware and the apps. The OS is basically irrelevant, let's face it it's basically windows 3.1! After you open an app the OS doesn't really do anything on screen apart from the keyboard which ain't the great.

So with that in mind Win 8 tablets could be great. Unlike iOS they os actually has a lot of features for sharing files between apps, live tiles, split screen. I have a the latest iPad but I would seriously love a nokia win 8 tablet.

The other thing I don't get that people aren't talking about is how this could be a game changer in terms of the web. On my iPhone I downloaded apps rather than visit sites, on my windows phone I download apps rather than visit sites, on my iPad I download apps rather than visit sites. Once windows has on obvious store that lets you safely install apps that are going to have things like live tiles, how many websites am I going to go on? Certainly news and weather will now all be through apps.
  • Reply 77 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I genually agree. The iPad is great, but what's great about is is the hardware and the apps. The OS is basically irrelevant, let's face it it's basically windows 3.1! After you open an app the OS doesn't really do anything on screen apart from the keyboard which ain't the great.

So with that in mind Win 8 tablets could be great. Unlike iOS they os actually has a lot of features for sharing files between apps, live tiles, split screen. I have a the latest iPad but I would seriously love a nokia win 8 tablet.

The other thing I don't get that people aren't talking about is how this could be a game changer in terms of the web. On my iPhone I downloaded apps rather than visit sites, on my windows phone I download apps rather than visit sites, on my iPad I download apps rather than visit sites. Once windows has on obvious store that lets you safely install apps that are going to have things like live tiles, how many websites am I going to go on? Certainly news and weather will now all be through apps.

You may have missed the memo where iOS devices have been found to represent 90% of the volume on the web of phones and tablets. 

You may enjoy having your eyes dazzled while reading text on bright red, purple, green and blue backgrounds, but don't think most people are into that. 

You bring up an interesting point in that the OS should be irrelevant to the user — but it needs to be highly relevant to the user experience. It needs to manage the devices resources, including battery life in such a way that is invisible to the user. The OS needs to make the experience of synching data, music and photos intuitive. Finally, the OS needs to make all the various apps, devices, phones, computers, and the cloud feel like a single cohesive environment. Apple has been honing that experience over the last six years, and people LOVE what it feels like.

• Reply 78 of 84
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

(1) Dynamic Icons are superior to Static Icons because they allow you to "glance & go"

(2) The entire system is designed for search.  iOS makes you go to a special screen.

(3) The apps can communicate with each other, which adds functionality to programs by simply adding other programs.  iOS can't do this.

(4) The 30 year old desktop metaphor finally receives an update that makes you more productive than you were previously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esstek View Post

How is this superior technology to iOS???

• Reply 79 of 84
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    You bring up an interesting point in that the OS should be irrelevant to the user — but it needs to be highly relevant to the user experience. It needs to manage the devices resources, including battery life in such a way that is invisible to the user. The OS needs to make the experience of synching data, music and photos intuitive. Finally, the OS needs to make all the various apps, devices, phones, computers, and the cloud feel like a single cohesive environment. Apple has been honing that experience over the last six years, and people LOVE what it feels like.
    The OS also shouldn't get in the way of people doing things. Like if your in the photos app and want to edit the photo in a 3rd party app then you should be able to open the photo in that app from there. Equally if your in any app and want to share something through any other app the OS should provide a way to do that. iOS currently doesn't do either of these or anything other than open apps. The apps may as well be websites.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

Windows RT tablets are going to be awesome. Tablets that can run full desktop apps will be killer devices. What's that? Those tablets won't be able to run desktop apps? Oh? There will be Windows 8 tablets that can?

Oh well. I'm sure consumers will understand the difference.

Actually RT -business/power- users could also run x86 applications hosted remotely using remote desktop. Maybe it is a way Microsoft could follows, providing cloud/remote hosting of desktop x86 applications.