Apple planning to launch standalone podcast app in iOS 6

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    euphonious wrote: »
    Before adding more stock apps which I probably won't use, I wish Apple would give the option to hide them from the home screen without jailbreaking. It's bad enough being stuck with that 'Stocks' app which I've never seen anybody use.

I put mine in a folder on the last screen. Except for Newsstand as that one won't go into a folder. For no reason.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    visualzone wrote: »
    I use it but as there isn't one for the iPad I use the free Bloomberg for iPad app.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/id364304764?s=143455

Btw, I'm another person that checks out and watches podcasts once in awhile. Another similar app I like is TED.

TED is great, isn't it? I like it, really good speakers they have.

PS why can't I multi quote on an iPad? This new forum software from Huddler is really ... poor.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Does  anybody really use  podcasts?

Yea, the BBC podcasts are very good.

• Reply 24 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I put mine in a folder on the last screen. Except for Newsstand as that one won't go into a folder. For no reason.

It's not for 'no reason'. Newsstand is a damn folder itself. Think about it for 5 seconds before bitching. How the hell would that work if you're trying to open a folder within a folder? Either way, it's one icon, and can;t understand why people are so OCD about it. 

• Reply 25 of 36
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Please have this be the beginning of the decontruction of iTunes.

Why? I really like the fact that everything is in one place with the desktop version of iTunes. It makes it much easier to hop from one category to another.

I would prefer it if they merged the iBookstore, AppStore and iTunes Store into one iStore on both desktop and mobile.

Until we have true multi-tasking on iOS it would be a real pain to have to quit the iTunes Store to go into the iPodcast Store and then quit to go into the AppStore, etc, etc. How is that a better system?

• Reply 26 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jonorom wrote: »
    Please have this be the beginning of the deconstruction of iTunes.

One of the worst decisions Apple could make right now.
    slurpy wrote: »
    It's not for 'no reason'. Newsstand is a damn folder itself. Think about it for 5 seconds before bitching. How the hell would that work if you're trying to open a folder within a folder? Either way, it's one icon, and can;t understand why people are so OCD about it. 

But WHY is it? It should be a standalone app like iBooks, opening to its own shelf with its own design. It's a newsstand, yeah? Then have a nice aluminum-looking back and black front shelving.

Boom. Differentiation.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

TED is great, isn't it? I like it, really good speakers they have.

PS why can't I multi quote on an iPad? This new forum software from Huddler is really ... poor.

There really is some great content out there, but I find the main reason I hardly use podcasts (and I know from talking to folks that there are a lot like me out there), is that I have absolutely no interest in "radio" and therefore no real interest in "sound only" podcasts.  Podcasts that use anything other than audio are ridiculously hard to find and mostly of crap quality.  

I am constantly frustrated trying to find a podcast that has anything except an audio stream.  There are bazillions of podcasts so the way one usually find them is to search, but then you have to go through the results one by one (many have no notation on them as to whether they are audio, video, or anything in between), to see if there is any video involved or if it's just some guy talking from his basement.  Then when you find a regular, video, podcast that you can get behind enough to subscribe to, it's usually the worst kind of sub-SD quality.  

When iPhones first came out I subscribed to a bunch of "news related" kind of ones like Fareed Zakaria and Rachel Maddow which is great on a little iPod or whatever, but they are always a day behind the regular show and of such low quality that they make it difficult to watch.  And these are some of the best most professionally produced ones.  On AppleTV they look so bad they are worse than the fuzziest crap YouTube video, even on mobile devices the sound is often wrong for an entire episode or not present at all, or it's encoded wrong, or the episode is actually the wrong week or the wrong day, or any one of a million other problems.  

They should really separate out the "audio only" junk from the rest.  Maybe the video content would actually grow a bit if it was easier to find and maybe the quality would actually step up a notch when they realise people are actually watching. 

• Reply 28 of 36
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

I do.  I listen to 5-8 hrs a day of podcasts. It's what my iPod and iPhone get used for more than anything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

As long as this "feature" doesn't come to OS X I'm cool.  iTunes being the one source for everything is one of the main reasons I love it.  Please Apple, DO NOT break up iTunes into a five or six apps on the Mac.  What a nightmare that would be.

I totally agree. These people who keep calling for iTunes to be broken up are crazy. iTunes is one of the very best pieces of software that exists for any purpose. It's specifically because everything is all in one place that it's so great. 

• Reply 29 of 36
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Until we have true multi-tasking on iOS it would be a real pain to have to quit the iTunes Store to go into the iPodcast Store and then quit to go into the AppStore, etc, etc. How is that a better system?

Maybe your iOS is different from mine? iTunes is already separated from the AppStore in iOS. And I have never had to "quit" an app in iOS. In fact, fast and easy app switching in iOS is one of the great pleasures of iOS.

I think the number of finger swipes or presses would be the same - it takes two to go from Music to Podcasts in iTunes. That would be the same, depending upon whether you recently used the app, or possibly requiring an extra finger swipe or press if not. This seems like a reasonably price to pay for a much clearer organization of media and easier access thereto - separating purchasing (iTunes) from consumption (Music, Videos, Podcasts, etc.).

I would be even happier if the purchasing function were combined with the consumption app. Why shouldn't you buy or rent video in the Videos app, like already occurs in iBooks? It seems silly and confusing to keep them separate.

• Reply 30 of 36
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I am constantly frustrated trying to find a podcast that has anything except an audio stream.

They should really separate out the "audio only" junk from the rest.

That audio "junk" is where the content lies. Who cares about seeing the talking head accompanying it?

Also, I'd bet much of podcast listening is done while driving, so any video is superfluous. Plus, battery life is much longer for audio-only playback.

One frustrating thing to me is that when I'm trying to listen to a video podcast, if I try to save my battery by turning off the iOS screen, it stops playback!

• Reply 31 of 36
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Quote:

Yep. We're Alive is one of the best podcasts/radio shows ever written. You guys should check it out!

• Reply 32 of 36
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Oh, yes. Matter of fact, "anybody" who reads AppleInsider with any diligence also should be listening regularly to podcasts or live broadcasts of Critical Path, which now has more than 40 episodes hosted by Horace Dediu of Asymco. There's a new one every week.

• Reply 33 of 36
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    That audio "junk" is where the content lies. Who cares about seeing the talking head accompanying it?

Also, I'd bet much of podcast listening is done while driving, so any video is superfluous. Plus, battery life is much longer for audio-only playback.

One frustrating thing to me is that when I'm trying to listen to a video podcast, if I try to save my battery by turning off the iOS screen, it stops playback!

Driving or on a commute, at work, during exercise...you name it. Anything that you can do where you can't watch a screen, podcasts are your friend. For the same reason people are slowly popularizing the audiobook as well.

For the people who claim not to listen to podcasts or think they are stupid, you need to look, or search special interests or hobbies or tv shows you like. Chances are, there is a podcast based around your special interest. That's how i Got into them. I was a huge fan of the show Lost and that show had some amazing fan podcasts that where like water cooler talk. Many other shows have followed. Additionally, NPR has been an amazing resource on iTunes for daily listening and information. One might complain they are not live, but a day behind. well, that's kind of unavoidable and I think you're missing the point of podcasts in general. It's not a live streaming application nor does it claim to be. If you want live content, try the NPR app in the app store or website.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    In response to this rumor, if apple would just allow the iTunes app to sync with your podcasts subscriptions, they wouldn't need a separate app. They just need to know your subscriptions, just like downcast does. Personally, I don't like downcast because it doesn't sync back to our iTunes account. If ou add or subtract subscriptions or individual podcasts in your laptop iTunes account, you must re-import that information back into downcast...which means I rarely use e app anymore. So this news is good to hear, but. Ink there is an easier way to do this without separating out the app. The ability to sync podcasts should have been a no-brainer from day one, but so should've been adding wifi syncing on the iPod, which never happened. At least not on the classic or the nano.
  • Reply 35 of 36

I am constantly frustrated trying to find a podcast that has anything except an audio stream.

Open iTunes on your computer. Go to iTunes store, then select Podcasts - the second tab down is Video Podcasts. It's extremely easy to find.

But like most others on this thread, I am always more interested in audio-only podcasts. If you don't understand why, it must mean that you don't commute! But I also listen to podcasts while mowing the lawn, doing housework, walking into town... listening to This American Life or In Our Time when I want to rather than when it's on the radio is fantastic.

I hope a new podcast app will mean better syncing/downloading/subscribing than currently is the case, because otherwise it'll just be annoying to have an extra icon on screen. I'm not sure if this or Music will be on my dock...

• Reply 36 of 36
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

There really is some great content out there, but I find the main reason I hardly use podcasts (and I know from talking to folks that there are a lot like me out there), is that I have absolutely no interest in "radio" and therefore no real interest in "sound only" podcasts.  Podcasts that use anything other than audio are ridiculously hard to find and mostly of crap quality.  

I am constantly frustrated trying to find a podcast that has anything except an audio stream.  There are bazillions of podcasts so the way one usually find them is to search, but then you have to go through the results one by one (many have no notation on them as to whether they are audio, video, or anything in between), to see if there is any video involved or if it's just some guy talking from his basement.  Then when you find a regular, video, podcast that you can get behind enough to subscribe to, it's usually the worst kind of sub-SD quality.  

When iPhones first came out I subscribed to a bunch of "news related" kind of ones like Fareed Zakaria and Rachel Maddow which is great on a little iPod or whatever, but they are always a day behind the regular show and of such low quality that they make it difficult to watch.  And these are some of the best most professionally produced ones.  On AppleTV they look so bad they are worse than the fuzziest crap YouTube video, even on mobile devices the sound is often wrong for an entire episode or not present at all, or it's encoded wrong, or the episode is actually the wrong week or the wrong day, or any one of a million other problems.  

They should really separate out the "audio only" junk from the rest.  Maybe the video content would actually grow a bit if it was easier to find and maybe the quality would actually step up a notch when they realise people are actually watching. 

You are really limiting yourself if you are only looking for podcasts with excellent video quality.  That's like saying I only read books with lots of color pictures.  Also the iTunes store does separate podcasts that have video and audio only.