Microsoft unveils 'Surface' Windows 8 tablet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Hmmm... USB 2.0, certainly not the latest in tech. That is so like MS to do it only partially right. "VaporMag," is this a hint of something that will also not ever make it to market? The product only weights 1.5 pounds... it that before the batteries are included, or is this a desk unit?

The PRO version has usb 3

• Reply 22 of 513
    gatortpkgatortpk Posts: 33member
    Powering Surface in its Windows 8 Pro incarnation is an Ivy Bridge i5 processor...

This looks thicker than 9.3mm, if it really is that thin and has an Ivy Bridge i5 CPU, then an even lower powered Core i5 CPU is going to require at least 10 times the wattage (than an ARM based CPU). So the battery couldn't possibly be any bigger than in the new iPad. So does this mean it'll have a battery life of about an hour (less than 1 hour)?
  • Reply 23 of 513
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member

so full of typos it was easier to just kill this comment

• Reply 24 of 513
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    A USB cable is a very good idea. You know, printing etc.
  • Reply 25 of 513
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Everyone on the tech blogs is drooling over this and calling Apple's smart cover now a dumb cover. But I wonder what it will be like to type on this thing. The CW is that Apple needs to be afraid of this, but I'm thinking Microsoft screwed over all the OEM's committed to Windows 8 tablets a they'll be competing with Microsoft's own tablet. And Google as Android tablets are probably dead now.
  • Reply 26 of 513
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatortpk View Post

This looks thicker than 9.3mm, if it really is that thin and has an Ivy Bridge i5 CPU,

the device is 13.5 mm thick

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-announces-surface-for-windows-8-pro/

• Reply 27 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

the device is 13.5 mm thick

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-announces-surface-for-windows-8-pro/

The arm device is 9.3 and the core i5 is 13.5

Specs are here

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx

• Reply 28 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Everyone on the tech blogs is drooling over this and calling Apple's smart cover now a dumb cover. But I wonder what it will be like to type on this thing. The CW is that Apple needs to be afraid of this, but I'm thinking Microsoft screwed over all the OEM's committed to Windows 8 tablets a they'll be competing with Microsoft's own tablet. And Google as Android tablets are probably dead now.

Typing on it can't be any worse than an on-screen keyboard, so at the least it'll be an improvement. How much we have yet to see. But it also won't eat up screen real-estate, which is a nice perk.

• Reply 29 of 513
    csuesscsuess Posts: 7member

The art of engineering.

tablet_4.png

• Reply 30 of 513
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member

LMAO  

• Reply 31 of 513
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member

This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for to replace my MacBook Air.

There are two models, one with an ARM processor (Basic) and one with an Intel Core i5 processor (Pro). The ARM one seems to come with the soft, squidgy keyboard cover while the Intel one includes a more rigid plastic keyboard cover so it transforms into something that feels much more like a laptop.

The basic model has Windows RT and a 1280x720 display, while the Pro model has Windows 8 Pro and a 1920x1080 display.

A lot of people are going to look at this and wonder why they need both an iPad and a MacBook when they can have one device that does both things for much less money. 

• Reply 32 of 513
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member

I've bought three iPads (1, 2, new).

The fact that this is x86 is very intriguing to me. If it will run win32 apps under that Metro interface, I'll be all over it. I have an app (SAC) that needs x86 windows.  I don't need battery life (two hours is sufficient). I do need win32/x86 compatibility, though (which the iPad, obviously) cannot give me. Don't need USB, HDMI, expandable memory card, or even much memory on the tablet itself.

Granted, I'm a special case (especially around here). But if it can run Win32 (and that's questionable at this point), it will be perfect for me. About the only thing I could ask for beyond that is a matte screen that could be read in direct sunlight (which I suspect isn't gonna happen on this device).

• Reply 33 of 513
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    @ theskivvy,

My Mini B comment is in reference to the cloned version of Ballmer, not USB.

csuess wrote: »
    The art of engineering.

LL

Let's see how iFixit rates it repairability and upgradability. After all, it's a "full PC" according to MS.
  • Reply 34 of 513
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member

Wow!! Another tablet!! But just wait!! This has Windows 8 and a kick stand!! Too F'n funny!!

• Reply 35 of 513
    gatortpkgatortpk Posts: 33member
    The arm device is 9.3 and the core i5 is 13.5

Specs are here

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx

Thanks for the info, I was just reading the article in this thread. That makes more sense, perhaps twice the battery space in 13.5 mm (minus all the other parts), so perhaps it'll have a battery life of almost 2 hours?
  • Reply 36 of 513
    rokaroka Posts: 1member

Unfortunately, when MobileMe gets shuttered in 2 weeks sp basic functionality will be lost.

However, there is a movement to save some of the soon-to-be-lost features. Check out this link.

Just use in the poll to register your vote.

http://savemefeatures.wordpress.com/

Thank you

• Reply 36 of 513
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

USB!!  Thank you!  If my audio software will run on this and my USB audio devices work..  I'm sold.

• Reply 38 of 513
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Is it just me or does this effort have a Zune-like ring to it?

Seems MS just tried to shove everything they possibly could into a tablet-like form.

The Frankentablet. 

• Reply 39 of 513

They could have really killed it with XBox integration. But in typical Microsoft fashion they half-assed it. Where's the content? Where's the battery life? Where's the ship date? Where's the price?

• Reply 40 of 513
    csuesscsuess Posts: 7member

This does not look like something I want to touch.