Apple releases OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview 4 software update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released a software update to the most current seed of Mountain Lion Developer Preview 4 one week after pushing out the original beta operating system last week.

It is unknown what fixes or upgrades are included in the update as Apple did not provide complete release notes, but the contents could be substantial as the download comes in at a hefty 1.08 GB.

Apple is making the final tweaks to its next generation OS before the software is launched in July.

ML4 Update

Developers can access the software update through the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Mail got some sort of update, as evidenced by me having to update my database again. I don't know what it was, though. Maybe it's the previewing of iTunes links like iOS 6 gets.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I actually wish Apple would stop trying make the OS newer and just make it better. I really don't need any new features. I'm running Lion now but I really don't look at it as any better than Snow Leopard, at least not for my usage patterns. I don't use Launcher or iCloud. Admittedly I have not tried ML even though I am an eligible registered developer. 

I looked at the new MBP yesterday and decided I really don't need that either. Although I'm not overly price sensitive, the top of the line model which is what I always buy is insanely expensive. My current MBP is fine. I just don't use it enough to justify replacing it. I'm done with big cats too. Mountain Lions are the same specie as Cougars and Pumas. Lion is the most powerful cat so they should just give up on the cat nomenclature altogether in my opinion. I might buy "The New OS X" but I'll probably pass on ML, at least for the near term. Lord knows Apple will somehow force us to either upgrade or abandon ship, neither of which is an attractive prospect for me.

• Reply 3 of 31
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mstone wrote: »
    I actually wish Apple would stop trying make the OS newer and just make it better. I really don't need any new features. I'm running Lion now but I really don't look at it as any better than Snow Leopard, at least not for my usage patterns. I don't use Launcher or iCloud. Admittedly I have not tried ML even though I am an eligible registered developer. 

I looked at the new MBP yesterday and decided I really don't need that either. Although I'm not overly price sensitive, the top of the line model which is what I always buy is insanely expensive. My current MBP is fine. I just don't use it enough to justify replacing it. I'm done with big cats too. Mountain Lions are the same specie as Cougars and Pumas. Lion is the most powerful cat so they should just give up on the cat nomenclature altogether in my opinion. I might buy "The New OS X" but I'll probably pass on ML, at least for the near term. Lord knows Apple will somehow force us to either upgrade or abandon ship, neither of which is an attractive prospect for me.

The top of the line MBP is 'insanely expensive'?

Funny, but top of the line MBPs have always been $3000 and up.
  • Reply 4 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The top of the line MBP is 'insanely expensive'?

Funny, but top of the line MBPs have always been $3000 and up.

According to this page the MBP has never been over $3000

http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro

• Reply 5 of 31

If $2,199 is "$3,000" to some people, then "$2,799" is probably close enough, too. :lol:
  • Reply 6 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

1) don't use Launcher either but they didn't take anything away in order to add it.

2) Apple has been making the OS better and ML is better than Lion. In fact, my complaints about Lion are almost all resolved with ML. I mainly wanted consistency between their desktop and mobile OSes and they've delivered. There change from SL to Lion from Spaces to Mission Control is a step up. I'm sure some "power users" want the old style option that existed for decades but I don't see how that's actually more useful for the average person. Combining Spaces and Exposé into Mission Control was a brilliant move and a feature I finally started using.

http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro
    The 17" MBP was starting at $2,799. If you BTO the CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, and HiRes display you are well over $3,000. I think the 15" might have topped it as well with internal options.
  • Reply 7 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If $2,199 is "$3,000" to some people, then "$2,799" is probably close enough, too. image

I just looked at the online store and I see the $2,799 version however they did not seem to offer that model at the my Apple store yeaterday. They were only offering three models and the top of the line was $3,749.00.

• Reply 8 of 31

function SOswitchMenu() {var el = document.getElementById('bodyDiv');if ( el.style.display != "none" ) { el.style.display = 'none';}else { el.style.display = '';}var el2 = document.getElementById('h2');if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText";return;}if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText";return;}}
    function SOframeReload() {var f = document.getElementById('soFrame');f.src = f.src;} $3000 for a laptop is insanely expensive. Apple are good but they aren't that good. In fact this last range of Macbook made me chuckle, who in their right mind is going to spend that kind of money on a 15" laptop...retina or not...who really cares..it's crazy.

function SOswitchMenu() {var el = document.getElementById('bodyDiv');if ( el.style.display != "none" ) { el.style.display = 'none';}else { el.style.display = '';}var el2 = document.getElementById('h2');if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText";return;}if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText";return;}}

function SOframeReload() {var f = document.getElementById('soFrame');f.src = f.src;}
  • Reply 9 of 31
    $3000 for a laptop is insanely expensive. Apple are good but they aren't that good. In fact this last range of Macbook made me chuckle, who in their right mind is going to spend that kind of money on a 15" laptop...retina or not...who really cares..it's crazy.

See? Told you. Some people think $2,199 = $3,000.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Really hoping this fixed two major Apple apps, which have been broken for me since last update...
  • Reply 11 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You'll need the new features. You just don't know you do yet. Apple hasn't told you, "you need these new features".

• Reply 12 of 31
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Mail got some sort of update, as evidenced by me having to update my database again. I don't know what it was, though. Maybe it's the previewing of iTunes links like iOS 6 gets.

I would love to use mail if there was an option to get push mail from Exchange. I don't like how the lowest amount of time I can get email is one minute. I want it now! lol
  • Reply 13 of 31

Quote:

I'll get one without the fenders.

• Reply 14 of 31
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    I will buy the Macboo Pro to $2200 (mostly same in euro), the next month.

why ? because of the retina screen mostly, and its relative light weight for that kind of power and quality.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

$3000 for a laptop is insanely expensive. Apple are good but they aren't that good. In fact this last range of Macbook made me chuckle, who in their right mind is going to spend that kind of money on a 15" laptop...retina or not...who really cares..it's crazy.

Lol So Trueimage

• Reply 16 of 31
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

No one is saying that the stock lower level 15" RMBP is $3,000.   .3 more ghz, 512 of SSD and 16 G of RAM puts it right there.

• Reply 17 of 31

Here is something we all need to think about...http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/opinion-apple-retina-displa/

Are you really willing to shell out over $2500 on a fixed un-upgradeable laptop every two years.

• Reply 18 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Here is something we all need to think about...http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/opinion-apple-retina-displa/

Are you really willing to shell out over $2500 on a fixed un-upgradeable laptop every two years.

1) Why every two years?

2) What are the percentages of people that "upgrade their notebooks right now?

3) Why are notebooks the most popular segment in computers (with Ultrabook-style notebooks popularized by Apple with the MBA) a lot more popular than towers where DIYers can interchange and upgrade nearly every component?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The 17" MBP was starting at $2,799. If you BTO the CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, and HiRes display you are well over $3,000. I think the 15" might have topped it as well with internal options.

Hardly. I max out every 17" MBP that I purchased, and the most expensive one was $3,128.00 after tax (shipping price). The last one was a late 2012 17" MBP. They have consistently dropped a few hundred the last 4 years, until Retina that is.

That was with, cpu, and storage maxed out (with the exception of SSD which is exorbitantly expensive regardless of vendor and one MBP in early 2009 for a 128MB SSD drive and that one was 2,440 shipping price). I just bought and upgraded the memory myself until they offered cheaper 4GBx2 options, with the understanding that it typically would add 100-300 depending on the options. Even with the largest SSD, that would tack on 1K to 1.2K to the price and if the base price was 2000, you still end up just a hair over 3,000.

The most recent purchase was in March of this year, and with that one fully maxed out (sans SSD storage again), it was still less than $3000.

MBP 17/CTO
    $2,999.00
    $2,999.00
    Ships: 1 - 3 business days
    Delivers Dec 2 - Dec 6 by Standard Shipping
    Part Number: Z0NG
    With the following configuration:

PROCESSOR 065-C0FW 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7

MEMORY 065-C09N 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB

HARD DRIVE 065-C0GG 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200

OPTICAL DRIVE 065-C09X 8x Double-Layer SuperDrive

DISPLAY 065-C09Y MBP 17" HR Glossy WS Display

DVI Adapter 065-C0C1 None

VGA Adapter 065-C0C3 None

REMOTE 065-C0C5 None

KEYBOARD AND DOCUMENTATION 065-C0DK Keyboard/Users Guide

COUNTRY KIT 065-C0DM Country Kit

Claiming they start at 3000 for the base MPB was a flat out lie. No need to try to dress it up as a half truth. The base 17" MBP is typically around $2000 or less for the 17" model (pre retina again as that upped the price a bit).
  • Reply 20 of 31

Who's dumb enough to upgrade every two years? My four year old pre-unibody Penryn is still fast as the dickens and it's only using a 5400RPM drive and 4GB of RAM. I expect it'll last me another three, and that's just before they stop making OS' that work on it. Then it'll keep running until the 8600M gives out, but otherwise it would work for decades, just like the rest of my Macs.