Microsoft unveils 'Surface' Windows 8 tablet

Comments

• Reply 181 of 513
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

you drank the free Kool-aid they handed out, didn't you?  :-)

No, he's just more than wise enough to recognise product with potential, without usual fanboy uber-bias blinds... even if he is not pro-MS.

A quality worth respect, in my opinion.

• Reply 182 of 513
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

l.php.gifverge-lb-695.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

Hahah love the stance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

Hahah love the stance.

It's a nice WIDE stance... like an un-named Senator from Utah.

I think it is ballet second position (see http://dance.about.com/od/stepsandmoves/ss/Ballet_Five_2.htm)

I never would have thought Ballmer secretly wished he was a ballerina.

• Reply 183 of 513
    heenowheenow Posts: 9member

You think it will come with Bob?

• Reply 184 of 513
    grid wrote: »
    I'm sorry but the people in charge of naming MS's garbage needs to be shot! Xbox; dumb but not real bad, Zune; it sounds like a 3 year old trying to say zoo with a mouth full of marshmallows. Now we have"surface". ooooOOOOooooo..... The surface of what? A polished turd? Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

Well you would know Forrest.
  • Reply 185 of 513
    Any bets on how many posts this thread will accumulate? 450? 600?
  • Reply 186 of 513

you people are funny....

show of hands for anyone who has actually held this product?

I myself am not interested in any tablet or even laptop but I can see a cool idea here...

do I think it will sell? not too well.

but Windows 8 is actually pretty cool...but waayyyy too limiting...OSX and Windows 7 are better IMO.

But I'm a desktop kinda guy...Metro isn't for me period.

• Reply 187 of 513
    It's MS's attempt to let some air out of Apple's tires by getting people to want to wait and see this Vapor-doofus in a store before buying an Apple product. 

Not only was the announcement poorly done, they accidently dropped the tablet, and the turnout for the presentation was late and poorly attended. Look at (1) the small size of the press corps, and (2) the number of Apple products being used by the reporters. What a HOOT!!!

Finally, imagine you are trying to cover this event with a kickstand on your screen, a floppy keyboard with no back-lighting, and on a two-hour battery life. There were some iPads also present but not shown in this photo. Where are the netbooks? :lol:

LL

That's only some of the crowd Dufus. All tech journalists got an invite and that includes the Apple Fanbois at The Verge.
  • Reply 188 of 513
    It isn't a tablet or a laptop. It isn't innovative or traditional. It isn't cute or ugly. It isn't even schizophrenic. It isn't really anything.

What a lot of nonsense.
  • Reply 189 of 513
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rjlcool wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Arial;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;">The SmartCover patent is D658,186. I'm sure the use of magnet as a hinge is unique and could be stipulated on this patent. All I know is MS ripped this off!</span>

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/04/apple-wins-patents-for-ipad-smart-cover-itunes-store-more.html
    I see a design patent but their design is different from Apple's design. The general utility of magnet at the hinge is similar but where is the patent or reasoning that no one else can have a patent for magnet on or around a hinge.

Also not that a magnet on a power plug predates MagSafe by at least a couple decades.

rjlcool wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Arial;font-size:16px;line-height:normal;">Apple's iPad Smart Cover patent (D658,186). Using a magnet as a hinge for sure is unique and have never been seen anywhere on a gadget or else Apple will not be granted with this patent. I can smell an injunction here!</span>
    What is unique about using magnets? What is unique about the hinge? Where is the patent that says the two used together are exclusive to Apple. If Henry Ford took the internal combustion engine and was first the use it in a 16-cyclinder engine does that make it exclusive to him for using 16 cylinders or would it be up to the implementation that allowed it all function.

There is also something called reverse engineering. I have a feeling MS will be about to sell their unfortunately named magnetic cover.

And what about the integrated keyboard? Doesn't that make it unique or do you think a Samsung lawyer have a problem distinguished the segmented Smart Cover from MS's version.
  • Reply 190 of 513
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member

Quote:

Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

... wow, is that real or is someone having some photoshop fun?

"I told you home boy - Can't touch this!"

I kind of like the keyboard cover bit, but as has been pointed out you can get a Logitech version of that today for the iPad if it's a keyboard you miss.

• Reply 191 of 513

Quote:

OTheThe iPad at 9.7" has a higher resolution display that their 10.6" 2048-by-1536 vs 1920-by-1080. They have not quoted the price how do you know it's less money (probably less that the MacBook Pro with Retina, but not less that iPad). Will be running Windows 8 an OS that so far has not been getting glowing reviews (Granted it's not finished yet). They have quoted a Core i5 but at what speed? What battery life? WHAT THE HELL! iPad at 9.7" has a higher resolution display that their 10.6" 2048-by-1536 vs 1920-by-1080. They have not quoted the price how do you know it's less money (probably less that the MacBook Pro with Retina, but not less that iPad). Will be running Windows 8 an OS that so far has not been getting glowing reviews (Granted it's not finished yet). They have quoted a Core i5 but at what speed? What battery life? WHAT THE HELL!The iPad at 9.7" has a higher resolution display that their 10.6" 2048-by-1536 vs 1920-by-1080. They have not quoted the price how do you know it's less money (probably less that the MacBook Pro with Retina, but not less that iPad). Will be running Windows 8 an OS that so far has not been getting glowing reviews (Granted it's not finished yet). They have quoted a Core i5 but at what speed? What battery life? WHAT THE HELL!riginally Posted by jstephe View Post

They did say that the price of the ARM device will be similar to "other" tablets. The Intel device is expected to sell for "about" the price of a Netbook. However, that may not include any extras like the kayboard, for example. It may not even include the kickstand. I suspect they are aiming at the MBA price, and unless MS underwrites the cost to promote the product, it will be the same as the MBA. 

I think the ARM tablet will bomb, and the Intel tablet will do middling okay. The iPad has a wonderful ecosystem in place and most fortune 2000 companies are already allowing BYOD. So, there's little incentive for enterprise to buy this when the employees' tablets are no cost. In addition, the employees are bringing their own iPhones, whike the C-level management LOVE the hell out of the MBA. 

I can see the MS rep bringing in this Frankentablet to show management and saying, "Where can I plug this in," and the management saying, "Why?"

• Reply 192 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjlcool View Post

Isn't the Apple's SmartCover magnetic hinge patented? Bring on the injunction! =) 

Oh don't go there! If Apple does that, I expect posts like "So Apple invented magnets now?"

• Reply 193 of 513
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Everyone on the tech blogs is drooling over this and calling Apple's smart cover now a dumb cover. But I wonder what it will be like to type on this thing. The CW is that Apple needs to be afraid of this, but I'm thinking Microsoft screwed over all the OEM's committed to Windows 8 tablets a they'll be competing with Microsoft's own tablet. And Google as Android tablets are probably dead now.

Or, MS is saying to OEMs "you cannot blackmail us with Android, because we will make our own". It is hardly a secret that, outside of Nokia, other OEMs did Windows Phone 7 just as "mee-too", but without much enthysiasm. I think MS simply tried to avoid this repeating with tablets. I think they are also trying to set standards and avoid/minimize market being overtaken by low quality product that would, on the long run, have more potential to damage than to benefit platform. It is a message to OEMs: If you want to sell this, you'll have to be at least as good as we are.

Re competition, it is normal in Windows market. MS does keyboards and mice, so does anyone else making PCs. So does Logitech, Genius, Cherry, Razer, Steel Series, Corsair... none of them gave up on making Windows PC peripherals just because MS does.

• Reply 194 of 513
    recrec Posts: 217member

The major problem MS has with win8 ARM version (or whatever they're calling it) is software.  They have visions of creating a brand new, non-backwards compatible windows app market.  I don't see how that can work.

The reason Apple was able to build up an entirely new app market was because they sold a futuristic, next generation phone first.  Once people had enough of them in hand, they had a market they could reasonably build an app market around.  By the time they introduced more new hardware like the iPad, the market was well established and backwards compatible.  This was a very important chain of events, Apple could not have successfully launched a new computer (the iPad) with no software and expect people to buy the hardware.  People bought the hardware in part because it's backed up by a very large and diverse app store.

MS on the other hand thinks that there's some kind of demand out there for Win8 apps that have no backwards compatibility with Windows.  They think they can launch a brand new version of Windows with no backwards compatibility and no apps and sell entirely new hardware based on it.  This doesn't work, it can't work, its been proven not to work!

We know the Win8 tablets based on ARM processors are DOA because of software.  I have a suspicion that the Win8 tablets based on intel will be DOA based on hardware- big and bulky, poor battery life, cost too high, no real clear purpose for existing.  Basically, the same reasons why windows tablets have failed for the better part of a decade.  Nothing about this show that MS put on puts to rest any of those concerns.  They're being quiet on many details that make or break these tablets- cost, battery life, and software.

Now I've figured this out, when will MS?  After they wasted a 10 billion or so?

• Reply 195 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clamdigger63 View Post

That's only some of the crowd Dufus. All tech journalists got an invite and that includes the Apple Fanbois at The Verge.

I saw a few others standing around, but they were MS shills, there to lead the applause and laugh at the jokes. 

• Reply 196 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

you people are funny....

show of hands for anyone who has actually held this product?

I have. Waaay back in 2010. When it was new and called the Giant iPod Touch.

Back then, some bloggers and pundits predicted it would fail miserably.

Now everyone's making them.

• Reply 197 of 513
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    History repeats itself. If it first you don't succeed, dump another bilion dollars into it and watch it fail again. Ballmer the monkey boy losing more money for M$.

Anyone remember this POS?

saupload_ballmer.jpg
  • Reply 198 of 513
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member

Microsoft will sell some, for all the Windows true believers out there, a few Windows notebook replacers and folks that won't buy an iPad no matter what.  After that it'll be a tough slog for the crumbs in competition with Android, but considering the state of Android on the tablet Windows may be able to take a good chunk of that small amount of market-share Android has.  Microsoft will pour tons of money down a hole when they want something to work (xBox is a good example, although unusually for MS that eventually payed off) - and Microsoft doesn't have much choice here (as well as with the phone market) - the tablet (and phone market) is where a big chunk of the $$$$ is moving to (and growing), if they don't seriously pour money down that hole (and phones) they are doomed to stagnant (and eventually declining) windows revenues and stock price as well.

I like the idea with the cover...but that swiveling back that holds it up on the desktop looks made to order to break (hard to see the cover being useful without the pad sitting upright though).

Be interesting to see how MS does with these (I second the notion that their hardware partners have to be furious) - I'm guessing sales will be alot like the Kindle Fire, some good sales for the first few months and then sales will fall down to a slow, low level that doesn't meet their desires.

• Reply 199 of 513
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mac.world wrote: »
    History repeats itself. If it first you don't succeed, dump another bilion dollars into it and watch it fail again. Ballmer the monkey boy losing more money for M$.
    Anyone remember this POS?
    saupload_ballmer.jpg

Is he wearing the same clothes?
  • Reply 200 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Nguyen View Post

You Windows fans are just plain stupid, sniffing shit and saying it doesn't stink.

Give me a break.

If you really like crap, then eat it away from us.

Easy there, tiger.

No need to make it personal.

Now when you walk into a Microsoft Store, it will resemble an Apple Store even more, with rows and rows of tablet-like laptops. You'll only be able to tell them apart from the emptiness of the Microsoft Stores.