Senator raises concern over Apple, Google mapping 'spy planes'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

He’s right: this level of photographic details of our homes and yards has NEVER been seen in an online service before. Other than Street View, I mean....

Regardless, it does need to be evaluated, and corporations can’t always be left to “just control themselves” out of the goodness of their employees’ hearts.

• Reply 22 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by verucabong View Post

Schumer is such a tool.

+1

• Reply 23 of 71
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

"Military-grade spy plane" -- more likely they use a Cessna.

I wonder why is he so concerned about Google and Apple being able to see things as small as 4 inches? image

Clearly he's no Anthony Weiner

• Reply 24 of 71
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mechanic wrote: »
    Wow where do dorks like schuemer come from? The us military and CIA have had technology better than this for years and he's worried about pictures from air planes?
    Current weather satellites can read the name on a pack of smokes from 150 miles up and military satellites are 100 times more sofisticated than they are. The us government can keyhole or move them for surveillance any time they want to. There is not one square inch of this planet that has not been phtographed or filmed lol. Anyone who worries about map apps on phones with 3d vector graphics is soap boxing or grandstanding just to garner himself attention because of his own personal fear of becoming irrelevent

The general public doesn't have access to those images.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    If you can walk by a building and take a pic...then you can fly a plane over a building and take a pic...cmon now.

The front of a building can be seen by anyone walking by, what's going on in your yard is much more private.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    mdfetofmdfetof Posts: 12member

Exactly.  Government drones are getting more and more plentiful and what the people have to fear is not google and Apple but the extent to which the government is invading privacy.

• Reply 27 of 71

Yeah, because Microsoft hasn't been doing this for the last 5+ years with Live Earth (or whatever it's called.)

What a f*ing moron.

• Reply 28 of 71
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

He’s right: this level of photographic details of our homes and yards has NEVER been seen in an online service before. Other than Street View, I mean....

but is it now. Have we seen proof that Flyover includes private neighborhoods. And if it does that Apple doesn't remove cars, people etc as a matter of procedure. 

Until it is confirmed what is and isn't in the app, this is just a PR move. iOS 6 will release and none of this 'troublesome' stuff will be in there and he'll take care for it despite the fact that it is very possible that Apple was never including. 

• Reply 29 of 71
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    What he really needs to do is STFU, already terrorist are LTAO with all the bullshit The US is making the people do.
  • Reply 30 of 71

And before the drones, the US had blimps photographing citizens.  Plus, there are cameras on all of the new traffic lights, not to catch speeders, but to track you.

• Reply 31 of 71
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jkichline wrote: »
    I thought it was a very cordial and common-sense letter. While I don't think it's going to be much of an issue, I can see some people getting very upset if they are caught nekid in there backyard. The use of hi-res satellite imagery could aide terrorist, but again, they could get that information elsewhere. Either way, it's good to think about these types of things and something that government should be thinking about.

nagromme wrote: »

Regardless, it does need to be evaluated, and corporations can’t always be left to “just control themselves” out of the goodness of their employees’ hearts.

Actually, he's just plain wrong.

Legally, the issue about photographing someone in a public place has been well documented. If you are outdoors, there is generally no expectation of privacy (with a few exceptions). The law has been well established and affirmed all the way to the Supreme Court.

Now, if Apple and Google are doing something against the law (as in violating one of the exceptions to the above principle), then they should be punished. But asking them to not photograph public places because some senator wants to buy votes doesn't make sense. They have a right to do anything that the law allows. If you want to put a stop to it, change the law - you're in the Senate.

Oh, I guess that's it. The Senate doesn't want to change the law. It's a backdoor attempt to accomplish something that the Senate doesn't agree with. Pound sand.
  • Reply 32 of 71

I'm sorry, but honestly… Americans…

• Reply 33 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'm sorry, but honestly… Americans…

Heaven forbid we want our freedoms protected. :lol:

That's really what it boils down to, despite boneheaded moves by the people in charge in protecting said freedoms.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    swaylonswaylon Posts: 24member

Really Senator,

I feel like most of the others in that the government has a lot more important things to worry about rather than whether we are giving "terrorists" an inside look at what they could just as easily see on the evening news. Nobody cares if you're having a bar-b-que, what your deck looks like, or what kind of car you drive. The problem with the government is that they stick there nose in so many places it doesn't belong and messes everything up for those of us who actually have to make a living in this country. I'm for privacy but if I don't want you to see it, I won't take it outside in the daylight for the "spy planes" to see. I don't need you help or your input, Mr. Senator.

• Reply 35 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Clearly he's no Anthony Weiner

+1.

• Reply 36 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Chuck Schumer is a dangerously stupid person.

• Reply 37 of 71

The last person to pitch a fit over this issue was Dick Cheney. The Daily Show had a field day with it.

So Chuck Schumer is on the same page as Cheney? Does not compute.

• Reply 38 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jkichline wrote: »
    I thought it was a very cordial and common-sense letter. While I don't think it's going to be much of an issue, I can see some people getting very upset if they are caught nekid in there backyard. The use of hi-res satellite imagery could aide terrorist, but again, they could get that information elsewhere. Either way, it's good to think about these types of things and something that government should be thinking about.

There's a point where we can't let concerns of possible terrorist use upend legitimate use.

I think that Apple or Google would remove naked people if they find any in their photos. I wonder how much that happens, I've not seen any nudists while I was in the air.

dasanman69 wrote: »
    The front of a building can be seen by anyone walking by, what's going on in your yard is much more private.

I don't think there is a legal construct of that kind of individual privacy outside of a building like that. Having taken quite a few aerial photographs just for personal interest, and not having caught anything scandalous yet (but I'm not really trying either), I think it's a somewhat dubious concern.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    Ok, here is grandstanding Schumer again -- looking for a drum to beat.

Schumer would have you believe that what Apple & Google are doing is not good, but what government does is ok. Let's not forget this is the same government that has been recording GPS coordinates of entrances to peoples homes during US Census visits, so they know right where to surveil you and send a missile to your doorstep!

Now public servant Schumer, tell us about the problems, like privacy, you ALSO have with what government is doing?! Or wait, is this just a lame attempt at shaking down corporations with bucks to spend more money on lobbying? How transparent.

*crickets*
  • Reply 40 of 71
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    The government is actually doing something right (for once) and they get criticized for being tools? Get out of your basements and see that the world is more than pizza delivery guys and the iPhone 5. These comments are just scary of how naive people are to reality.