Apple releases OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview 4 software update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    djrumpy wrote: »
    Claiming they start at 3000 for the base MPB was a flat out lie. No need to try to dress it up as a half truth. The base 17" MBP is typically around $2000 or less for the 17" model (pre retina again as that upped the price a bit).
    I can see how one get "start at $3000" since he used the "and up" qualifier but he also used "top of the line" which I read as the most expensive model, which is over $3000.

Who's dumb enough to upgrade every two years? My four year old pre-unibody Penryn is still fast as the dickens and it's only using a 5400RPM drive and 4GB of RAM. I expect it'll last me another three, and that's just before they stop making OS' that work on it. Then it'll keep running until the 8600M gives out, but otherwise it would work for decades, just like the rest of my Macs.
    I think it's time you consider maxing out to the 6 or 8GB maximum RAM and getting an SSD which will speed up the feel in ways that will make you think you're stepping n the Matrix.

• Reply 22 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think it's time you consider maxing out to the 6 or 8GB maximum RAM and getting an SSD which will speed up the feel in ways that will make you think you're stepping n the Matrix.

I'd imagine… I don't yet have an SSD-based computer, so I don't know what I'm missing out on there. And I see a 4GB stick is only $30 now. Guess I'll be doing that really shortly (6 is the maximum for the Early 2008). How time (prices) fly, eh?
  • Reply 23 of 31

Are you really willing to shell out over $2500 on a fixed un-upgradeable laptop every two years.

Yes. If I need the performance of a high-end MacBook Pro I'm going to be replacing it every 2 years or so when Intel does their major revisions. There's no other reason to buy a high end laptop in the first place. It's like you're asking if I'm really going to buy an ice cream cone that I will eat and in 15 minutes or so I won't have the ice cream cone anymore. Well yeah -- duh. If I want another ice cream cone I will go get another one. I expect an ice cream cone to last me about 15 minutes and a laptop to last me about 2-3 years.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

Here is something we all need to think about...http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/opinion-apple-retina-displa/

Are you really willing to shell out over $2500 on a fixed un-upgradeable laptop every two years.

Why would you need to replace it every 2 years? A lot of people keep their Macs for quite a while and this laptop would definitely last you more than 2yrs. Its up to the user whether or not they want to replace it anyways. If you configure it correctly, you shouldn't need to upgrade it down the road anyways. 16GB is a shit load of RAM, and well you could get extra HD space fairly easy if you really needed it. Considering the prices of SSD's you'd most likely wouldn't get one in a larger size anyways because of the cost. 

Apple us pushing the envelope with this product...like they do with nearly every product. If Apple didn't do this, someone else eventually would have. Apple is pretty good at setting what the market is getting. They did this with USB, touch phones and tablets, computer UI's w/ a mouse, etc. Now they're pushing the future with SSDs, ultra thin laptop with a very high resolution display for a pretty competitive price. Considering its a week since the announcement, and orders are still shipping 3-4 weeks, I'd say so far so good. 

• Reply 25 of 31
    nixinixi Posts: 49member
    The one thing that's still giving me issues is Exchange mail support and large attachments. By "large" I mean anything bigger than 2MB cumulative attachment size, so really "average" at best... Emails don't send and block the outbox.
    I've been waiting for a fix for what seems like ages... I am probably the first to download OS updates in the hopes of finding that one bug fixed, but so far to no avail...

So, as much as I like new OS versions and features, I do agree with whomever wrote that fixing the current OS is higher on my wish-list.

(Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone found a workaround for this issue?)
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Who's dumb enough to upgrade every two years? My four year old pre-unibody Penryn is still fast as the dickens and it's only using a 5400RPM drive and 4GB of RAM. I expect it'll last me another three, and that's just before they stop making OS' that work on it. Then it'll keep running until the 8600M gives out, but otherwise it would work for decades, just like the rest of my Macs.

Hahaha Wow this kinda made me laugh. Sorry...

..Most people I know are upgrading every 2 years. Since 2001 I'm on either my 6th or 7th Apple laptop.

To be clear though, if what you have fits your needs absolutely more power to you. For many people, an iPad is all of the computer they'll ever need, and I for one welcome that day, as I'd love to simplify. The reality? Work for me right now requires me to have what I have, and honestly, I could use a bit more. Right now running Core i5 2.4GHz, 8GB of memory and 7200RPM 500GB hard drive. What would I upgrade? If it was available, I'd do 16GB, and SSD as when I am QAing software, in several OS's, and doing my other work, memory and disk IO are my biggest bottlenecks. My CPU peaks, yes, but not NEARLY as much as disk IO, or memory.

A lot of the people who buy Macbook Pro's are exactly that, Pro's. They aren't typing out term papers, or trading recipes with the rest of the moms in the carpool. For people that don't have those needs, there are TONS of laptops that fit numerous types of needs, whether they be from Apple or not. $2.2k (if you hate apple, just assume the $2.2k is really $3+ using Junior college rounding) really isn't bad for the kind of machine the new Macbook Pro is.
  • Reply 27 of 31

I am running myself early 2008 Macbook Pro. Upgraded to Sandisk Extreme SSD 128GB and replacing my DVD space (DVD slim external drives are dirt cheap) with Seagate Momentus 750GB and upgraded all the way to 6GB ram. Although I am not getting the 6Gbps speed as this Macbook Pro only run at 1.5Gbps but as far as I know, everything has speed up. My start up was 2mins 49 seconds on the 5400rpm original HDD to now 27 seconds. Running on Lion.

We all know Apple marketing shit and it's good but they can't fool me in getting the new one so fast. I am still editing my photoshop with CS5 and video editing on FCP 10. Of course it isn't as fast as the new i7 Quad Processor but so far my kinda of work do not need me to rush for anything. So even if the video editing takes 2 hours to process, I will just wait for it.

The only set back everyone knows is battery life which last less than 3 hours (my 2nd battery) but I am alright with it as most of the time, I can plug to my car ignition converter or any places where there are electrical outlet. Anyway, for important works, usually Iwill  want to find a more comfortable place to work which is either the office or at home.

I have seen the new Macbook Retina Display. Everything about it is nice but do I really need it......? No, not now.

I would guess most people are buying the latest gadget basically is to show what they have. Seen it most of the time that a Macbook Pro being mostly use for school projects, surfing internet, writing emails, go on Facetime, watching videos and listening to music or Music DJs hosting an event which all can be done on my Macbook Pro 2008.

Shelling out less than $300 to make my Macbook go to the distance at turbo speed at the moment is still better than buying a new one at the moment which cost $2,799.

If my Macbook actually dies right at this moment, I would not get the Retina Display version simply because it's non upgradable. I would get the non Retina because it's still upgradable in terms of HDD space, RAMs and others components. Price is not a factor but I think some of us love to upgrade at home.

BTO any Apple Macs have hideous pricing but any of you have deep pockets, GO FOR IT!

• Reply 28 of 31

I'm looking forward to Mountain Lion.  For me, Mac is definitely improving.  I'll take this over Windows anyway.

I'm on my late 2008 MBP and it's still running.  That's almost 4 years now.

I sure would love a new MBP though.  Even with 2.53Ghz core 2 duo, 4 GB of RAM, and discreet nVidia graphics, everything runs, but the 13" MBA I use at work leaves it in the dust.  And yeah, as someone else said, improved battery life/usage would be appreciated in the upgrade as well.

But yeah, I'm still able to get fast enough work done in Xcode so I can't complain too much.  Might try the SSD route this year and save up for next years MBP!

• Reply 29 of 31
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I actually wish Apple would stop trying make the OS newer and just make it better. I really don't need any new features.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post

You'll need the new features. You just don't know you do yet.

Indeed. With every iteration of Mac OS X, there's people howling they don't need the (or any) new features. Interesting experiment is to go back a version or two and be surprised how much you miss the little things you've become so used to, you'd think they'd had been there since the public beta.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Hardly. I max out every 17" MBP that I purchased, and the most expensive one was $3,128.00 after tax (shipping price). The last one was a late 2012 17" MBP. They have consistently dropped a few hundred the last 4 years, until Retina that is.

That was with, cpu, and storage maxed out (with the exception of SSD which is exorbitantly expensive regardless of vendor and one MBP in early 2009 for a 128MB SSD drive and that one was 2,440 shipping price). I just bought and upgraded the memory myself until they offered cheaper 4GBx2 options, with the understanding that it typically would add 100-300 depending on the options. Even with the largest SSD, that would tack on 1K to 1.2K to the price and if the base price was 2000, you still end up just a hair over 3,000.

The most recent purchase was in March of this year, and with that one fully maxed out (sans SSD storage again), it was still less than $3000.

MBP 17/CTO

$2,999.00

$2,999.00

Ships: 1 - 3 business days

Delivers Dec 2 - Dec 6 by Standard Shipping

Part Number: Z0NG

With the following configuration:

PROCESSOR 065-C0FW 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7

MEMORY 065-C09N 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB

HARD DRIVE 065-C0GG 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200

OPTICAL DRIVE 065-C09X 8x Double-Layer SuperDrive

DISPLAY 065-C09Y MBP 17" HR Glossy WS Display

DVI Adapter 065-C0C1 None

VGA Adapter 065-C0C3 None

REMOTE 065-C0C5 None

KEYBOARD AND DOCUMENTATION 065-C0DK Keyboard/Users Guide

COUNTRY KIT 065-C0DM Country Kit

Claiming they start at 3000 for the base MPB was a flat out lie. No need to try to dress it up as a half truth. The base 17" MBP is typically around $2000 or less for the 17" model (pre retina again as that upped the price a bit).

Um, 8GB and a HDD is not "maxed out". That's an unfair comparison, considering the Retina MacBook Pro under discussion comes with both 16GB RAM and 256GB(?) SSD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who's dumb enough to upgrade every two years?

I am, and so are all my colleagues. We don't buy our own, though. But every two years, you get a call to hand in your old ThinkPad and get a new one. No upgrading or any of that crap. The current one is a Core i5 with 4GB RAM. I have a year and a half to go on it.

.tsooJ

• Reply 30 of 31
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) don't use Launcher either but they didn't take anything away in order to add it.

I wasn't using Launcher when I first upgraded but you know I tried it a few times and I actually like it.  I look at it as an extension of the dock.  With one click my most used apps appear and I can easily move icons around.  I recently had to downgrade an '06 MBP because Lion is terrible on that machine.  As soon as that machine is tasked (which Lion always does to it) it'll give me a black screen and lock itself down.  Snow Leopard doesn't do that.  I look at it as I have a laptop for my 4 year old and I to use together and I won't be heart broken if something happens to it.  It's served me well over the years.

Quote:

function SOswitchMenu() {var el = document.getElementById('bodyDiv');if ( el.style.display != "none" ) { el.style.display = 'none';}else { el.style.display = '';}var el2 = document.getElementById('h2');if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText";return;}if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText";return;}}
    function SOframeReload() {var f = document.getElementById('soFrame');f.src = f.src;} $3000 for a laptop is insanely expensive. Apple are good but they aren't that good. In fact this last range of Macbook made me chuckle, who in their right mind is going to spend that kind of money on a 15" laptop...retina or not...who really cares..it's crazy.

function SOswitchMenu() {var el = document.getElementById('bodyDiv');if ( el.style.display != "none" ) { el.style.display = 'none';}else { el.style.display = '';}var el2 = document.getElementById('h2');if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText";return;}if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText";return;}}
    function SOframeReload() {var f = document.getElementById('soFrame');f.src = f.src;}

Short memory.  Let me remind you of the comments made just a few years ago, "$599 for a phone is insanely expensive! Apple is good but they aren't that good."  Fast forward a few years and now they are giving them away.  I know phones are a different pricing scheme, but look at this, an unlocked iPhone 4S is only $649.  Imagine what it would have cost back then.  The price will come down on these as improvements are made in the manufacturing processes.

Quote:

Here is something we all need to think about...http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/opinion-apple-retina-displa/

Not everybody needs to and those who actually do don't think twice about it...

• Reply 31 of 31
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    gyorpb wrote: »
    Indeed. With every iteration of Mac OS X, there's people howling they don't need the (or any) new features. Interesting experiment is to go back a version or two and be surprised how much you miss the little things you've become so used to, you'd think they'd had been there since the public beta.
    Um, 8GB and a HDD is not "maxed out". That's an unfair comparison, considering the Retina MacBook Pro under discussion comes with both 16GB RAM and 256GB(?) SSD.
    I am, and so are all my colleagues. We don't buy our own, though. But every two years, you get a call to hand in your old ThinkPad and get a new one. No upgrading or any of that crap. The current one is a Core i5 with 4GB RAM. I have a year and a half to go on it.

.tsooJ

You do realize this was from a model pre-dating the retina display. You should really try to read the post first before replying...