Microsoft unveils 'Surface' Windows 8 tablet

Comments

• Reply 341 of 513

• Reply 342 of 513
    ray bartray bart Posts: 91member
    Correct! Microsoft have come up with this amazing keyboard cover BEFORE Apple, Samsung etc. Well done Microsoft, Apple does not have a monopoly on innovation.
  • Reply 343 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

this Surface tablet has hopeless schiziophrenia. it can't decide if it is a confused laptop (the trackpad) or a confused tablet (the touchscreen). this is the same old MS kitchen sink strategy.

Tim Cook saw this coming two months ago:

"Converging a toaster and a refrigerator"

• Reply 344 of 513
    qualarqualar Posts: 72member

If the released version is anything like this I am in.

• Reply 345 of 513
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

In the end, all I can say is that I'm not convinced "yet" that convertible is wanted or needed.

It also begs the question, what is the Intel-backed Ultrabook initiative for, and is it working(?)

I'm not even going to compare it to the Transformer, because this IS still Microsoft we're talking about with 90% desktop, and even more enterprise exposure.

It remains to be seen how Windows 8 "works" for the enterprise, and whether the haters of it, can customize the tablet the way they want to.

As in a previous thread here at AI a week ago when this upcoming presentation was debated, that's a hell of alot of "ifs"... to be continued.

• Reply 346 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post

Correct! Microsoft have come up with this amazing keyboard cover BEFORE Apple, Samsung etc. Well done Microsoft, Apple does not have a monopoly on innovation.

Astroturfer be gone...(poof!)

• Reply 347 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by qualar View Post

If the released version is anything like this I am in.

....for a big surprise! (Fixed it for ya :)

• Reply 348 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

OMG!  Microsoft needs to stay out of the hardware business.

They can't make up their minds whether to make a desktop, a laptop, a netbook or a tablet.

They try to fit all 4 in there and it all FUBAR.

Oh well.  Thanks for playing but it will be DOA.

How can you honestly think that?  Are looking at at different product to me?

• Reply 349 of 513
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    kevinn206 wrote: »
    A Windows tablet takes about 10-20 sec to boot.

:lol:
  • Reply 350 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

Hey, Jay... I bet you work for Microsoft and are trying to balance the negative comments on this this lame. non-existent, product!

I'm grateful for Balmer as CEO... He's done more harm to Microsoft than Apple could ever overtly or covertly produce. Love him!

But why would you want to hurt MS?  I understand you prefer Apple but why does that mean you have to hate another company. 

• Reply 351 of 513
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

You appear to be mistaking marketing fail with functionality fail. In what way does Metro "not work" on Windows Phone? 

It is called graphic design 101....scrolling text to the right is a big no...no.  Metro is horrible to use.  A total failure.

• Reply 352 of 513
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Is it just me or does this effort have a Zune-like ring to it?

Seems MS just tried to shove everything they possibly could into a tablet-like form.

The Frankentablet. 

Yep... it does. If this lasts for more than year or two after it ships (if)..then i will be shocked.

• Reply 353 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

....for a big surprise! (Fixed it for ya :)

Grow up!

• Reply 354 of 513
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't get these events where you show something off with no price or release date. ...

That is the classic definition of FUD. (To do it properly, you would typically announce your vaporware product within two weeks to a month of your competitor actually launching theirs, so, technically, MS is about 2 years late with this announcement.) Now, we're all supposed to stop buying iPads because MS will be releasing something better (they promise) real soon now. Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft, did they?

• Reply 355 of 513
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

For an iPad... yes... irrevalent. Who's talking about MBA's here? You think this Smurf-Top is going to replace an MBA?

I'm a consultant and do tech support for many of my clients as a designer. I have a converted CD case where I keep dongles/cables of every kind for when I need them. Adds a negligible few ounces to my briefcase, which also includes a Wacom tablet, mouse, and touch pad. Most people could get by with a pencil case for the cables and adapters.

Huh? What are you talking about?

For an ipad, very relevant. Except apple uses a 'camera connection kit' that allows some functionality...

and dongles are only useful if they are apple dongles?

and talking about planned obsolescence

• Reply 356 of 513
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

(Did not read entire thread.)

So is this an ultra-light laptop/netbook or a tablet? Is the UI touch-centric or stock Windows? Both? It'll never work. Developers won't be compelled to design truly touch-centric applications when they can sell their product to desktop/laptop users as well as have a fair expectation that owners of this thing will have the accessories to use it as a standard Windows machine.

Apple has it right. If you want a keyboard-centric laptop device, get an Air. If you want a tablet, get an iPad. They are different operating modes with different UI conventions and capabilities. The OS is very similar at the core, but at the user level, they are very different and apps do not migrate from one to the other.

Also, where is MS's iTunes and app store? Do they have a full user experience ready to go? Cloud storage solution? I see lots of talk about the hardware and the fact that it runs Windows 8, but that doesn't create a truly untethered user experience.

I suspect people will buy this and discover it's not a very good netbook, nor a very good tablet.

Maybe Apple's stock price will take a dip on this news and create a buying opportunity,

- Jasen.

• Reply 358 of 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

This is all been answered previously but to wrap up for those of you trapped in the OLD SKOOL way of thinking--

• I own a HDMI dongle but have used it once, I use airplay for all the movies I want to watch

• My 1GB NAS that also has 2 500GB USB drives connected to, is used for my storage to listen to my 750G music collection, or watch movies thru Apple TV, ipod touch etc. WIFI AC is out soon so will be even faster in the near future.

• Most new projectors have HDMI, you could even connect an Apple TV to a projector and be able to use ML and ipads with no cables! Cables are a safety hazard in the workplace and I would recommend this, how many accidents have been caused by loose dangling cables connected to projectors. VGA is really becoming outdated fast for its limited resolution, plus it doesnt carry audio, so you also need another cable for sound. No need to harp about legacy stuff cos they wont be around for much longer.  It would be like complaining about a PC not having printer ports for that old printer lying around or a PS/2 port for that nifty MS Keyboard from the mid 90s (Which I absolutely hated as it split the keyboard up in two LOL).

I own an hdmi dongle.  Have used it more than once.  No point purchasing an appletv when outside of USA its functionality is poor.

My 8TB WHS has multiple GB of movies, music, and the likes.  Attempting to have an ipad work with it is an exercise in pain.  But its less painful than the linux server prior to that.

So a dongle is a hassle, cables are dangerous, but carting a appletv around, /hoping to be connected into corporate wifi, and then still needing to plug in an hdmi cable, is better? 

Complaining about VGA being outdated doesnt change anything. The garbage dell i am typing this on can attach to any projector worldwide, while the macbook its left cannot, without an additional dongle.

• Reply 359 of 513

Quote:

I'm sorry... 1,154,456-1/2... it was a rounding error on my part.

For people that actually need the power of a full OS. For those that I mentioned that don't... the iPad is the go-to device. Although that's conjecture too I suppose.

Because: who really knows for sure? The publicized Apple numbers are surely part of a wide conspiracy akin to Obama's birth certificate.

So, what you are saying, is that you are making  up statistics to support your proposition, without any evidence.  And when  called on it, you go off on a tangent about  Obama.

• Reply 360 of 513
    rjlcoolrjlcool Posts: 27member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@ theskivvy,

My Mini B comment is in reference to the cloned version of Ballmer, not USB.

Let's see how iFixit rates it repairability and upgradability. After all, it's a "full PC" according to MS.

LOL. Anyone can assemble their own Surface tab and mod it to their heart's content. OEMs will even come up with an exotic processor heatsink that cost more than the tablet itself.