Apple touts iPad versatility with new 'Do It All' commercial

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released a new commercial for the iPad that highlights the breadth of functionality that the device has.

The ad, which was posted to Apple's official YouTube channel, depicts an iPad user performing both entertainment and productivity-related tasks on the device.

"Send a note, stay informed, catch a show, make your point, make a memory, make a masterpiece, read something, watch something and learn something," the narrator says. "Do it all more beautifully with the Retina Display on iPad."

Apple announced its third-generation iPad with a Retina Display in March and began selling it soon after. The touchscreen tablet's new 2,048-by-1,536-pixel display is the main selling point of the device and has been featured in previous commercials.

The timing of the new ad is curious, as it coincides with rival Microsoft's announcement of a new Surface tablet. The Windows maker revealed on Monday plans to release both ARM-based and Intel-based tablets later this year. The Surface will compete not only with Apple's iPad, but also with Microsoft's own PC partners, who were given advance warning that Microsoft was building its own tablet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Apple iPad - the 'do it all' device.
    Microsoft Surface - the 'want to be all' device*

* A tablet or ultrabook? both ARM and Intel? Windows 8 and RT? Next, controller for 720?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Nicely understated - beautiful.  All of my devices are pre-retina display but in constant use.  Looking forward to getting up to date!

• Reply 3 of 34
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Nicely understated - beautiful.  All of my devices are pre-retina display but in constant use.  Looking forward to getting up to date!

You'd likely be best to wait for the next version in hopes that they get the hardware better sorted out as the 'new' iPad offers little-to-no addional functionality over the iPad2, and as nice as the higher resolution display is, the compromises made to facilitate the new display hardly seem worth the exorbitantly long charge times or the disconcerting amount of heat it generates.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    donvreugdonvreug Posts: 32member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

You'd likely be best to wait for the next version in hopes that they get the hardware better sorted out as the 'new' iPad offers little-to-no addional functionality over the iPad2, and as nice as the higher resolution display is, the compromises made to facilitate the new display hardly seem worth the exorbitantly long charge times or the disconcerting amount of heat it generates.

None of which I have experienced with my iPad 3.

• Reply 5 of 34
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

really, buying any new model gadget every year is silly, unless you are in the 1%. every two years makes sense for anything on a two year contract (= iPhone). computers/laptops, 4 years minimum is typical. tablets, i dunno yet, too new. i generally agree with your point, wait for a breakthrough hardware feature that you really want/need.

• Reply 6 of 34
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

so Apple was ready today with its very specific counter-attack to the MS announcement.

they got a mole in Redmond.

lemme tell you, the chairs were flying across the room tonight when Ballmer saw that ad.

• Reply 7 of 34
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

It still doesn't do enough for me though.  Maybe in a few more generations and add a proper USB ports.

• Reply 8 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
  • Reply 9 of 34
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member

The only reason why I've upgraded from the iPad 2 is because of tethering (data-only plans are unlimited where I live, contrary to voice+data plans; the iPad's battery lasts much longer than the iPhone's; and even if the battery runs out due to Internet usage I don't lose the ability to make calls), and the only reason why I buy iPads at all is because they entertain other people so I don't have to.  The Retina display is nothing special; sure it makes reading a much better experience, but most third-party apps aren't designed for that, so they still display 1024x768 upscaled, and I'm not comfortable reading off an iPad due to its weight (not to mention that iBooks is a piece of crap for PDFs and can get extremely slow on very large documents, such as the C++11 standard).  Finally, both the iPhone and the iPad lack a semi-reflective screen background required for direct sunlight readability; for navigation, not text.

Regarding heat, yes, the third-generation iPad can heat up like an iPhone while performing CPU or GPU intensive tasks, especially if it's in a case or cover.  It won't burn your skin, but it can get unpleasant to use in environments where ambient temperature is already uncomfortably high.

Microsoft Surface seems to be everything I want in a portable device, at least from the distance.  It's a netbook AND a tablet in one, something Apple refuses to do, so I'm hopeful that they really get it right.  They seem focused in the details, which is good.  Let us see how far they'll go with that; Apple needs competition in the tablet market, because as it stands, the iPad is useless.

• Reply 10 of 34
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Problem is that it doesn't actually show the thing doing anything.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    daharder wrote: »

Come on now, you're just itching for the troll label, and you're deserving it here. This comment tells me you haven't actually used the newest iPad, even though you've had several months of opportunities to try it. It's a very nice machine and it barely even gets warm. If you've actually seen or touched one in person, you'd know that.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I don't disagree with the negative comments the troll makes of the new iPad-- it is warmer, heavier, and takes longer to charge. I would even agree with the statement that the compromises are not as well concieved as I would expect for Apple.

But, to say the device doesn't offer something over the 2nd generation is foolish. It out performs on functions I never thought I would use it for, but have grown to depend on: video conferencing, camera, PDF markups, etc.

It really has come a long way, and if some of the more generic "productivity" apps could just make some progress it would be great.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Come on now, you're just itching for the troll label, and you're deserving it here. This comment tells me you haven't actually used the newest iPad, even though you've had several months of opportunities to try it. It's a very nice machine and it barely even gets warm. If you've actually seen or touched one in person, you'd know that.

Now you did it. He's off photoshopping pictures now of the 3 each he bought everyone in his family, including the dog.

• Reply 14 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    I don't disagree with the negative comments the troll makes of the new iPad-- it is warmer, heavier, and takes longer to charge.

Those basic facts are clearly true, but his incendiary verbiage exaggerates it needlessly. For example, your comments are very different in degree, from "exorbitantly long charge times or the disconcerting amount of heat".

It's true that it does take longer to charge, longer than desirable, but exorbitant is pushing it. It is true that it does run warmer than previous models, but it's barely warmer in my experience on mine and the store display models that are always on and running something. Most laptops are cookers in comparison, even at idle. It is heavier, but not much so, last I recall, a couple ounces, but I think the trade-off was well worth it to power the screen.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Wow, what up great commercial.

Next up on AppleInsider: "Tout sports concern over Analyst's Apple lawsuit"

• Reply 16 of 34
    rjlcoolrjlcool Posts: 27member

Once Apple releases a 7.89" tab for the masses it will be the death sentence for those Ipad wannabies.

• Reply 17 of 34
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've never noticed the iPad 3 getting warm but DaHarder's overall point - the iPad 3 is filled with compromises. For example, it really irks me that intensive apps, such as games, can drain the iPad 3's battery faster than than the iPad 3 can be charged. The extra thickness and weight are also definite drawbacks from the iPad 2. The iPad 3 is a fantastic device, and I love the screen, but its launch was definitely a case of two steps forward, one step back.

I'm looking forward to the iPad 4. Hopefully it'll be a similar design but with all of the compromises removed.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    mike fix wrote: »
    It still doesn't do enough for me though.  Maybe in a few more generations and add a proper USB ports.

Good one! With iCloud and wireless sync, ports on a tablet are about as useful as tits on a boar. And with a commercial that showed nine different apps in 30 seconds - while there are 250,000 more from which to choose - that "still doesn't do enough for me" is right on target!
  • Reply 19 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    rjlcool wrote: »
    Once Apple releases a 7.89" tab for the masses it will be the death sentence for those iPad wannabes.

No, it won't, because that's a foolish and unnecessary idea. The iPad has already killed every other tablet. There's no reason for a smaller, pointless size.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    wisdomseedwisdomseed Posts: 141member
    I have an iPad (3) and I love it. The long charge time is okay with me because it takes a long time to drain the battery as well. I don't miss ports. The one thing that gets my goat is the number of NewsStand apps that only work in the verticle, but I think that's more a failure of he case I bought than the iPad itself.

Incurious about the Surface. I don't want one, i just wonder how it works and feels and costs.