Apple releases new Thunderbolt software update after boot problems

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has released an update to its Thunderbolt software after reports arose that the previous version was causing boot-related problems for some Mac users.

The Cupertino, Calif., company on Monday pushed out version 1.2.1 of its Thunderbolt software, adding support for its Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter. The download weighs 526kb and requires OS X 10.7.4 or later.

An earlier version of Apple's Thunderbolt software arrived last week, but it is believed to have caused freezing and boot error problems on a number of Macs. The problems were reportedly caused by a kernel extension that was making the connectivity kernel incompatible with the machines.

The new Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter is designed to pair with Apple's new MacBook Pro with Retina Display. In order to make the new notebook thinner and lighter, Apple cut several ports and components, such as an optical disc drive and the Ethernet port, from it.

Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter

Though Apple has sold its MacBook Air computers without Ethernet ports for years, it sold USB adapters for them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Slightly OT but I can't believe the low cost of the TB to GigE. I would have expected $49.99.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Its still quite pricy for what it does. In my opinion, it should come with the Retina MBP. 

Didn't this update make your Mac not boot on some? If so, then how do you run the update? Reload the OS and then run the update? Thats pretty shitty Apple!

• Reply 3 of 11
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Hmm - does that mean I could add a second gigabit network port to my Mac Mini Server? 

• Reply 4 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Hmm - does that mean I could add a second gigabit network port to my Mac Mini Server? 

As long as you install the thunderbolt firmware update and have that port available, yes. Also, it has to have a Thunderbolt port, not a mini display port. If all of those are met, then yes it should work fine. 

• Reply 5 of 11
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Its still quite pricy for what it does. In my opinion, it should come with the Retina MBP. 

Didn't this update make your Mac not boot on some? If so, then how do you run the update? Reload the OS and then run the update? Thats pretty shitty Apple!

What? It's an ethernet card stuffed into a little cable. It's cheap. Should it come with the Retina MBP? Why? How many MBP owners do you think use the GigE port? I use the GigE port in my MBP, but even I agree it should be relegated to a dongle (not included) if I'm in the small minority.

• Reply 6 of 11

No...its the worlds most expensive network adapter. Typical Apple! It should be a $9 item. Someone will make one. They already overcharge for their thunderbolt/mini display port  video adapters. I always get mine elsewhere for half the price. The only thing that makes it more expensive is its thunderbolt...which is why I don't think it will take off. Its just way too expensive for everything thunderbolt. USB is almost always cheaper. I know thunderbolt can do more, but I don't think it makes up for the cost of thunderbolt devices. 

• Reply 7 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    macxpress wrote: »
    No...its the worlds most expensive network adapter. Typical Apple! It should be a $9 item. Someone will make one. They already overcharge for their thunderbolt/mini display port  video adapters. I always get mine elsewhere for half the price. The only thing that makes it more expensive is its thunderbolt...which is why I don't think it will take off. Its just way too expensive for everything thunderbolt. USB is almost always cheaper. I know thunderbolt can do more, but I don't think it makes up for the cost of thunderbolt devices. 

You need to go read what the word "overcharge" means.
  • Reply 8 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You need to go read what the word "overcharge" means.

It means to charge more than its worth...which is what Apple is doing. Otherwise, I couldn't go to some other place and buy one that works just as well for less than half the price. I use a $5-10 DVI adapter every single day on my 15" MBP at work and it works flawlessly. It even looks just like the Apple one. 

And yes...the ethernet adapter is the biggest rip off ever. Certainly not worthy of $30 of my dollars if I were to buy one. 

• Reply 9 of 11
    It means to charge more than its worth...which is what Apple is doing.

More than for which anyone will pay. There's a difference.
    Otherwise, I couldn't go to some other place and buy one that works just as well for less than half the price.

There's a Thunderbolt to gigabit Ethernet adapter from someone else already? Where?
    And yes...the ethernet adapter is the biggest rip off ever. Certainly not worthy of $30 of my dollars if I were to buy one. 

So don't buy it. Enough people don't, they'll be forced to lower the price. But just like every single accessory they've ever made, that won't be happening.
  • Reply 10 of 11

I didn't say I was going to buy it...nor would I ever. No, there isn't a thunderturd ethernet adapter out yet, but there will be. The place I get my stuff from has everything else. Obviously its too early for 3rd parties to get in on that. 

• Reply 11 of 11
    I didn't say I was going to buy it…nor would I ever.

So what does this even matter to you?
    No, there isn't a thunderbird ethernet adapter out yet, but there will be.

Oh, see, I was confused there, because… you said it was already available. So, really, you CANNOT "go somewhere else and buy one for half price", which means the price Apple is charging is perfectly reasonable, as they're the only ones charging any sort of price because they're the only ones with a product.

Either you pay their price now for their well-made version or you wait months and pay a cheaper price for a more poorly-made version. That's the choice you have. Same with everything else (personal music players, tablets, thin laptops…).