FaceTime over 3G with iOS 6 limited to iPhone 4S, iPad 3

Comments

• Reply 121 of 149
    ahrubikahrubik Posts: 80member

Quote:

Clearly there is only one resolution to this issue.

The new policy should be no updates, ever. The iPhone you buy shouldn't receive any updates with any new features. Apparently this is what everyone wants. I already called Apple Executive Customer Service to place an urgent feature request. Hopefully no new features, ever, will make everyone who is complaining happy. For those who really don't want any new features ever after purchasing your "smartphone," you should consider Android-based "smartphones" since this is a major feature of the Android platform.

This is easily one of the worst posts I've ever read here. Android phones get new features all the time. Google updates GAPPS constantly. What I think everyone is tired of is the rhetoric where they say one thing and two days later the caveats appear. It's just like the soldered RAM and proprietary SSD in the Retina MBP. When you go against 20 years of industry standards people want to know about it. Don't give me that shit about MBAs either. Ultra books are a new form factor and everyone is expecting changes there besides they made more changes to the 2012 MBA where its not even compatible with the 2010 and 2011 MBA parts. 

I tell you what though I know why they are so set on making things as environmentally friendly to recycle as possible... because they're creating the worst cycle of non extended life products that can be made.

• Reply 122 of 149
    ahrubik wrote: »
    This is easily one of the worst posts I've ever read here. Android phones get new features all the time. Google updates GAPPS constantly. What I think everyone is tired of is the rhetoric where they say one thing and two days later the caveats appear. It's just like the soldered RAM and proprietary SSD in the Retina MBP. When you go against 20 years of industry standards people want to know about it. Don't give me that shit about MBAs either. Ultra books are a new form factor and everyone is expecting changes there besides they made more changes to the 2012 MBA where its not even compatible with the 2010 and 2011 MBA parts. 

I tell you what though I know why they are so set on making things as environmentally friendly to recycle as possible... because they're creating the worst cycle of non extended life products that can be made.

You do realize a small demograph of people actually upgrade anything in their machine right? They either buy it the way they like from the get go and never upgrade anything until it fails, or they just sell to upgrade a year later....
  • Reply 123 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

What's the big deal about the soldered RAM?  Get the maximum amount and then what difference does it make?  If you bought a laptop with RAM sockets and it came with the maximum amount, would you ever open it to do anything with the RAM?  By the time the life span of that machine is over, it's not like you'd be able to use it in another machine anyway.

The OP was being sarcastic, sure, but maybe Apple should be more clear about that in their advertising.  The newer the device you buy, the longer you will get updates to the new features.  For smartphones it should be more obvious - saving $100 over the course of a contract is never worth it.

• Reply 124 of 149
    ahrubikahrubik Posts: 80member

The big deal is because it's not replaceable. Let's say we follow your advice and we get it maxed out. First off the chip in that laptop supports 32GB of RAM. So Apple doesn't sell it maxed out to begin with. Second if a RAM chip dies and it's under warranty its all good; Apple fixes it. If its not under warranty then you have to replace the entire mainboard because you lost a RAM chip. The mainboard in that laptop runs easily $1000 or more which you're out of pocket instead of $50 if you could have simply replaced the chip. I can't be the only one seeing these scenarios. This is not a phone people it's a computer.

100% of these laptops WILL NOT MAKE IT their entire lifespan without a failed part and a large percentage of those that don't make it will not be covered by Apple Care. Apple has always repaired things out of warranty at their discretion and I've seen more than one person get things repaired out warranty for free but there are also a lot of people who don't have that story to share.

• Reply 125 of 149
    ahrubik wrote: »
    The big deal is because it's not replaceable. Let's say we follow your advice and we get it maxed out. First off the chip in that laptop supports 32GB of RAM. So Apple doesn't sell it maxed out to begin with. Second if a RAM chip dies and it's under warranty its all good; Apple fixes it. If its not under warranty then you have to replace the entire mainboard because you lost a RAM chip. The mainboard in that laptop runs easily $1000 or more which you're out of pocket instead of $50 if you could have simply replaced the chip. I can't be the only one seeing these scenarios. This is not a phone people it's a computer.

100% of these laptops WILL NOT MAKE IT their entire lifespan without a failed part and a large percentage of those that don't make it will not be covered by Apple Care. Apple has always repaired things out of warranty at their discretion and I've seen more than one person get things repaired out warranty for free but there are also a lot of people who don't have that story to share.

Apple Care.S

If you really need a powerhouse with 32GB of ram...get a desktop/workstation...or I don't know a MacPro..
  • Reply 126 of 149
    macvertigo wrote: »
    Wow - us iphone 4 owners are really getting the shaft.  Pretty shitty move Apple - considering my phone is only a little over a year old.

That's when you bought it. It's actually 2 years old on June 24th.
  • Reply 127 of 149

You can register your UDIDs and install iOS 6 for less than $6 !

Visit our website : http://activationios.com/
  • Reply 128 of 149
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post

1. So you bought your iPhone 4 less than a year ago... The iPhone 4 is two years old, next month. (Tardy to the party?) lol

2. Let's not forget that the network capability of the iPhone 4 is not as great as the 4s. The 4 connects to HSPA networks, while the 4s connects to HSPA+ which directly relates to network speed.

My 4s out runs my wife's 4 every day of the week on the AT&T network while we are side by side. This is probably directly linked to the fact that Apple does not want to add Siri or FaceTime to the 4... Both utilize the network and the lag may be out of range for Apple. Not to mention that they are a business and they do need to make money to stay IN business. lol

No, I bought it the day it was released. (I have a white one). That was just a year ago. Besides that, the iPhone 4 is still a current model. They are pre-announcing that a product they are selling right NOW is not fully compatible with the software upgrade that's coming soon.

I'm not buying the network capability claim either. My wife also has a 4s, and there is no difference in performance whatsoever between the two phones for us. There's no "lag" with the the 4, just a few missing software features. The 4 may not utilize the full speed of the HSPA+ network, but it runs just fine on it. Mine has only ever run on HSPA+ because that's the only netwrk our provider has (they went straight from CDMA to HSPA+, there are no HSPA towers in their network).

• Reply 129 of 149
    bsenka wrote: »
    No, I bought it the day it was released. (I have a white one). That was just a year ago. Besides that, the iPhone 4 is still a current model. They are pre-announcing that a product they are selling right NOW is not fully compatible with the software upgrade that's coming soon.

I'm not buying the network capability claim either. My wife also has a 4s, and there is no difference in performance whatsoever between the two phones for us. There's no "lag" with the the 4, just a few missing software features. The 4 may not utilize the full speed of the HSPA+ network, but it runs just fine on it. Mine has only ever run on HSPA+ because that's the only netwrk our provider has (they went straight from CDMA to HSPA+, there are no HSPA towers in their network).

Still nearly 2 year old hardware...is that too hard to comprehend? What network are you on? Only the 4S takes advantage of the HSPA+ on AT&T, plus it depends on location. I have both a 4S and 4 in my household an we're close to a hspa+ tower and the 4s is much faster then the 4 on the standard network.

I'm assuming your on sprint or Verizon if you're mentioning CDMA.
  • Reply 130 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Still nearly 2 year old hardware...is that too hard to comprehend? 

Still a CURRENT model... is that too hard to comprehend? People are buying brand new iPhones today that will not be properly  upgraded to the next version of the OS. That's the kind of crap Android customers have to deal with, the kinds of things Apple is supposed to be better for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

I'm assuming your on sprint or Verizon if you're mentioning CDMA.

You're assuming wrong.

• Reply 131 of 149
    Still a CURRENT model... is that too hard to comprehend? People are buying brand new iPhones today that will not be properly  upgraded to the next version of the OS. That's the kind of crap Android customers have to deal with, the kinds of things Apple is supposed to be better for.

You're assuming wrong.

It's 2 freaking year old hardware almost!!! Sure it's a "current model" but guess what? It was introduced back in 2010, with no change to hardware other then memory size!

If you make the conscious choice of buying outdated hardware because it's cheaper now, gives you no right to boohoo and piss anger because you can't get all the features of the future OS. Guess what? The industry and world move on, you either move on with it or keep your device till it really needs to be replaced.

It's unfortunate, but you have a choice.

I make the choice to update every year because I know that the new device will have new features, I've yet to update my iPad 2 but you don't hear me moaning about the features I don't get.

Should the original iPhone get all these nifty features?

We're blessed that apple chooses to update even the 3GS! Regardless if the updates are fully availble or not.
  • Reply 132 of 149

Quote:

The original iPhone is not a current model. 

• Reply 133 of 149
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The original iPhone is not a current model. 

Neither is the 4 nor the 3GS.
  • Reply 134 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Neither is the 4 nor the 3GS.

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

That's not the refurb store. That's a brand new $550 piece of tech that is a current model.

The excuses you guys are making for Apple here are pathetic. 

• Reply 135 of 149
    That's not the refurb store. That's a brand new $550 piece of tech that is a current model.

No, it's a piece of tech that is a few days away from reaching two years old.

The entitlement issues some people have is also pathetic. :lol:
  • Reply 136 of 149
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

Your reasoning is also quite pathetic. They are advertised as cheaper models, with fewer features. Is it promised, anywhere, that the feature set will expand in the future if you choose to buy the "lesser" model, now?

You really should evaluate whether or not the purchase price is worth the feature set you are getting for your money. If you were to get new features later on, great, but does it diminish your getting your money's worth at purchase time if some features more expensive, more advanced models are getting, are not available for your (budget) model? Are any of the features you paid good money for being taken away?

.tsooJ

• Reply 137 of 149
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Quote:

It's 2 freaking year old hardware almost!!! Sure it's a "current model" but guess what? It was introduced back in 2010, with no change to hardware other then memory size!

If you make the conscious choice of buying outdated hardware because it's cheaper now, gives you no right to boohoo and piss anger because you can't get all the features of the future OS. Guess what? The industry and world move on, you either move on with it or keep your device till it really needs to be replaced.

It's unfortunate, but you have a choice.

I make the choice to update every year because I know that the new device will have new features, I've yet to update my iPad 2 but you don't hear me moaning about the features I don't get.

We're blessed that apple chooses to update even the 3GS! Regardless if the updates are fully availble or not.

What about somebody who's contract was up in April of 2011 and wanted an iPhone? Like I keep saying: Not everybody is on the same upgrade schedule as Apple's iPhone release schedule.

Fortunately for me, I paid for an "early upgrade" back in July of 2010 when the iPhone 4 came out, after purchasing the 3GS 6 months earlier. So, I'll get to upgrade when the iPhone 5 comes out and receive all these cool new features.

Like I said, not everybody is as fortunate. Which makes the FACT that Apple is holding back these features from phones that are PLENTY capable of running them that much more painful.

• Reply 138 of 149
    [quote name="tylersdad" url="/t/150685/facetime-over-3g-with-ios-6-limited-to-iphone-4s-ipad-3/120#post_2130513"]What about somebody who's contract was up in April of 2011 and wanted an iPhone? [/QUOTE]

Then you do some freaking research so you're not burned. Not that hard.
  • Reply 139 of 149
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tylersdad wrote: »
    Like I said, not everybody is as fortunate. Which makes the FACT that Apple is holding back these features from phones that are PLENTY capable of running them that much more painful.

Is out-of-sight-out-of-mind a lot more common among humans than I realize? Do those who claim an older iPhone can handle Siri and FaceTime that it should be included really have no concept of the servers and network required to make it function or the load from having another 100 million devices on the network?
  • Reply 140 of 149
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is out-of-sight-out-of-mind a lot more common among humans than I realize? Do those who claim an older iPhone can handle Siri and FaceTime that it should be included really have no concept of the servers and network required to make it function or the load from having another 100 million devices on the network?

No, it's quite easy to understand. I build networks and software for a living.

Apple should explain this, though, instead of saying that the iPhone 4 hardware can't handle it. Instead, they should tell everybody that their networks and the various mobile networks can't handle the extra load.

The device is more than capable of handling it, even without HSPA+ speeds as evidenced by the Verizon iPhone 4S. Verizon does not have an HSPA+ network, yet FaceTime over 3G will be enabled on it.

Yet, FaceTime is only one of the features being held back from iPhone 4 users. What about turn-by-turn navigation? The iPhone 4 is obviously capable of it since there are myriad of Navigation apps (Navigon, TomTom, MapQuest) that do turn-by-turn. What's the excuse for holding back this feature?