Review: Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'll take that even further and say it obnoxious to suggest that Pro doesn't mean the user is a professional, which seems to apply to a notebook starting over $2k, but instead refers to the after-market upgradability of the machine. i can point out a highly customizable desktop PC that costs under $400 and yet I doubt those same people will call that a Pro machine. What it comes down to is elitist f*****y.

Please, there may be elitist shenanigans going on, but your language sounds like dock worker droll. If you wish to be taken seriously I suggest you use different words. Nobody is going to take a dock workers opinions about pro-level laptops or "pro" branded laptops. Not that there is anything wrong with being a dock worker, it is just that that kind of language outside of the waterfront is very inappropriate, especially in professional settings.

I agree with tokenuser, those of us who are pro-level users who are not in the graphic arts fields are just as legitimate pros as Photoshop pros are. Although, I blame the press for this assumption, as the only pro-level users that the press pays attention to are the photoshop jockeys in their own publishing rooms.

• Reply 42 of 102
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Anyone using the retina iPad simulator on a regular basis will love this new MacBook Pro. No more scroll bars!

Of course, that's only when Xcode and the simulator are willing to talk to each other - which isn't very often. :P
  • Reply 43 of 102
    rmm21rmm21 Posts: 29member

Not one word in the entire review about heat dissipation for the Retina model. "Runs cooler" than the older Pro is hardly helpful.

• Reply 44 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Nothing personal, but this whole post just comes across as personal bitchyness to me.  

Your complaints are all deeply hypothetical situations that most users simply don't care about and probably won't occur anyway.

I mean you're actually (seriously!), dissing the thing for having too good of a screen.  And it comes with more stock RAM than any previous model, that can be upgraded to even more, and yet you criticise it for some hypothetical situation with not enough RAM that the user *might* get themselves into years down the road?  That's just lame.  

I'm not bitching. I'm just pointing out a couple of useful things that were left out of the review. They really aren't complaints, since I don't intend to buy this machine or any other machine with a retina screen until the software catches up for the reasons I pointed out. I love the screen, and it really is a beautiful machine, I just can't use it for my work at the moment. And I'm sure others will disagree and it'll work for fine them. At any rate, "Most" users will buy a Macbook Air (they already do). The rest of us so-called 'Pro' users that use these machines as tools to make a living will take everything into consideration, including price and flexibility among other things. I don't work so I can buy computers, I buy computers so I can work.

My issues are not hypothetical (deeply, or otherwise) for the kind of users looking at a high-end Apple computer. While it does come with a generous amount of ram, 8gb may not be what it used to be 3 years from now, just as 4 doesn't quite cut it like it did 3 years ago. But I'd rather buy ram as needed (at competitive market prices) than shell out a premium from Apple from the get-go. Most of us know to buy our ram upgrades elsewhere. For this machine, this is not an option. Case in point, I just got a new iMac last week that shipped with 4gb. I immediately doubled that with a pair of sticks I found on Craigslist from a lady (photographer, film editor) who had ditched her new iMac's stock ram for a 16gb upgrade from Crucial. I did this for $20. Apple wants $100. Later down the road I'll want 16gb (After Effects is a hog), possibly 32gb. The upgrade will be cheaper, and I'll have that option. 

• Reply 45 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Please, there may be elitist shenanigans going on, but your language sounds like dock worker droll. If you wish to be taken seriously I suggest you use different words. Nobody is going to take a dock workers opinions about pro-level laptops or "pro" branded laptops. Not that there is anything wrong with being a dock worker, it is just that that kind of language outside of the waterfront is very inappropriate, especially in professional settings.

I agree with tokenuser, those of us who are pro-level users who are not in the graphic arts fields are just as legitimate pros as Photoshop pros are. Although, I blame the press for this assumption, as the only pro-level users that the press pays attention to are the photoshop jockeys in their own publishing rooms.

If you had a point to make disparaging dock workers is a poor way to do it. You sound elitist with your derogatory remarks while my only elitist comment is about elitists which really only makes me a self-hating elitist.

As for the word ****, it's a word. It's a taboo word but you have to choose to make it taboo. There is nothing in the arrangement of its letters or its sound waves when uttered that are actually cursed. There is nothing at all about but a collective choice to react to it because you are were taught a certain way. I specifically used it to relay a point, an emotion, and one you reacted to at a visceral level. A word that you claim means that won't be taken seriously despite it being a way that we reproduce and show affection. A word that you felt you needed to insult an entire class of workers over. A word hat you wouldn't bat an eye over if it's equivalent was used in another language which you don't speak.

Perhaps one day we can evolve our culture to not insult or pigeonhole groups of people over fearing that a cursed term was scribed or vocalized in our presence.

edit:

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 46 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

It only renders up to 1200p on OSX :)

Which still defeats the purpose of the retina display IMHO.... 

you can see my earlier post for the link to resolution info.

The Mac software SwitchResX will let you set the display to the full 2880x1800 resolution. Everything is crazy small though. I can understand why Apple's display settings are the way they are but they should allow this feature through an advanced setting.

• Reply 47 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    <span style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:24px;">The Mac software SwitchResX will let you set the display to the full 2880x1800 resolution. Everything is crazy small though. I can understand why Apple's display settings are the way they are but they should allow this feature through an advanced setting.</span>

If you use that app you need to back up file DisplayProductID-a00f located in /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-610/Display/ in case you want to switch back. Apparently SwitchResX is removing it thus making the System Preferences option not function.
  • Reply 48 of 102
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can someone, ANYONE, please give a solid, plausible reason as why Apple went back to the older style of Magsafe? I just don't get it. I absolutely love the newer version on my Air, not only because it looks a million times better, but it also functions better as well as there's no bend and the cable can be hidden straight behind the notebook. I've never experienced a single issue with the design. It's better in so many ways. Why was it changed back??

With a pull coming from "behind" the display the angle of the previous design means there's a chance to "hook" the connector on it's recessed port and pull the machine back off a table. Like the gluing in of components my bet is they're responding to repair reports. The newer design will peel out with a much surer release without regard to the angle of the pull since the force get's redirected at the plug-wire connection. The whole point of the magnetic connector was a safe release, the hooking problem would have defeated that.

• Reply 49 of 102

I find it interesting that I've read a few reviews mentioning that websites look like "junk" right now because the images have to be pixel-doubled, but then shrug it off saying that things will improve as things are updated to be compatible with the retina display, just as things happened with the iPhone and iPad.

Well, that may be the case with apps, but when it comes to websites and email, that's not going to happen. I'm not even sure that there is a way to serve pixel-doubled images to Safari on a Retina Display MacBook Pro. Maybe if you serve it images that you're telling the page to display at half the size in the HTML specifications. I'd love to get one to test that out. At any rate, even if you are able to do that, most of the web will never be updated to work that way, so if you spend most of your time browsing the internet and checking email, this higher-resolution retina display will actually make everything look a little uglier for you. Forever. Something to think about.

• Reply 50 of 102
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
  • Reply 51 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

I find it interesting that I've read a few reviews mentioning that websites look like "junk" right now because the images have to be pixel-doubled, but then shrug it off saying that things will improve as things are updated to be compatible with the retina display, just as things happened with the iPhone and iPad.

Well, that may be the case with apps, but when it comes to websites and email, that's not going to happen. I'm not even sure that there is a way to serve pixel-doubled images to Safari on a Retina Display MacBook Pro. Maybe if you serve it images that you're telling the page to display at half the size in the HTML specifications. I'd love to get one to test that out. At any rate, even if you are able to do that, most of the web will never be updated to work that way, so if you spend most of your time browsing the internet and checking email, this higher-resolution retina display will actually make everything look a little uglier for you. Forever. Something to think about.

From what I heard, websites look great on the Retina iPad so the process has already started.

• Reply 52 of 102
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I rather like the glossy screen. It seems more vibrant. Probably the colors are not as true but it is rich and beautiful.

I hate glossy - but I wouldn't be surprised if the colors on this screen are outstanding.  The colors on a new iPad are better than even some of the supposedly "pro" monitors.  The new iPad is really astounding.  If the new Macbook Pro screen is that good too, all I can say is wow.  Photographers are going to love it.

I also hate the word Pro.  It has been overused to the point of meaninglessness.  I mean, really...  pro photography apps on an iPhone?  Please.  I own a $1400 DSLR body, and even that is not a true pro model.  [tangent: if you love photography, you really need to try shooting with a Sony a77 for a few hours.  It's like nothing else on the market at any price.  Sony is doing some amazing stuff lately, in terms of photography.]

• Reply 53 of 102
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post

The power here isnt graphics. That is the visible tip of the iceberg. The power is the floating point processing and ability to pump large matrices of data through the GPU. I'm adapting code to run natural language processing through the GPU, other are doing FFT work through the GPU. That is the power. Running D3 at max settings is just a nice bonus.

I know. That's why I said the DP floating point performance of Kepler is crippled compared to Fermi. See the page I linked for details. 

"Because it’s based around double precision math the GTX 680 does rather poorly here, but the surprising bit is that it did so to a larger degree than we’d expect. The GTX 680’s FP64 performance is 1/24th its FP32 performance, compared to 1/8th on GTX 580 and 1/12th on GTX 560 Ti."

• Reply 54 of 102
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    [LIST]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [/LIST]
    Wow dan don't be too harsh there on apple... expensive and other developers need to step up for retina, that's a lot or cons there mate.

One would think that soldered memory on a pro model that could well go up to 32gbs of memory in a future upgrade might be considered a con by some....in more ways than one ;)

No hdd despite the lack of optical and a meagre 256gbs for the very expensive base model means most pros, ESP. Creatives that this is geared towards (well them and impressionable Chinese trophy wives) Will find they ll have to tug along an external hard drive.

Proprietory flash storage lock in on a pro machine that again won't be able to be updated by ever cheaping mainstream ssds could well be a negative aspect.

Lack of Ethernet sure is a very negative aspect for a lot of users too who will be perpetually carrying dongles along.

And of course it's the thermals.mthe ever slimming mac notebooks, and this one is a prime example get warm for rudimentary computing tasks, and hot too.

Ps what the **** is wrong with huddler and basic smilies ;) , :) , is anyone getting them?
  • Reply 55 of 102
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I wish all the reviews of this wouldn't just have D3 as the exclusive game test, that is a very forgiving game. Even my three year old laptops 4570M can run 35FPS on 1920x1080. How about something like Skyrim in Boot Camp (even that's not that demanding, but I want to know if it can run at native on this) or Starcraft 2. 

I don't have a framerate checker... none built into Skyrim... and I don't run it on Windows, but ported with Wineskin I can run it ultra with 2880x1800, and during some really big action with special effects, so when some things are still caching a few seconds after a loading screen, it can get jerky, but most of the time its very smooth.  I don't play it like this though, I've been playing it at 2048x1280, and it runs great.  I'm sure it would run great completely native in Windows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmm21 View Post

Not one word in the entire review about heat dissipation for the Retina model. "Runs cooler" than the older Pro is hardly helpful.

what about it?  what more do you need ot know?  there are side vents that pull in air, some some channels in the plastic with the speakers to help it get back through the board and through the heatsink fins.  The Screen hing is different than older models and sits at an angle, so there is a bigger gap of space for air exhaust out too. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

The Mac software SwitchResX will let you set the display to the full 2880x1800 resolution. Everything is crazy small though. I can understand why Apple's display settings are the way they are but they should allow this feature through an advanced setting.

You have to buy that to keep using it anyways... I wrote an app you can use for free.  its not as complex as SwitchResX, but it has the basic screen changing without messing up your computer... it won't save the size though so if you reboot you have to set it back to 2880x1800 again.  i just made a quick little startup item to do that for me after I log in... I haven't shared that though cuz I'm not sure anyone wants it.

Resolution changing app

• Reply 56 of 102
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Nothing personal, but this whole post just comes across as personal bitchyness to me.  

Your complaints are all deeply hypothetical situations that most users simply don't care about and probably won't occur anyway.

I mean you're actually (seriously!), dissing the thing for having too good of a screen.  And it comes with more stock RAM than any previous model, that can be upgraded to even more, and yet you criticise it for some hypothetical situation with not enough RAM that the user *might* get themselves into years down the road?  That's just lame.  

They're not hypothetical at all.   You only want to invest so much when you buy the machine.   You think you're buying enough RAM and enough storage space. Then a new version of Illustrator or Photoshop comes along that requires more RAM.   You're screwed.    You have to buy a new machine.   

I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro.   Late in 2011, the battery finally wouldn't take much of  charge anymore so I replaced it.  I just ordered a new one, opened the back cover and popped it in.   Then, in spite of cleaning up my files, I ran out of hard disk space.   So I bought a new 750GB hard disk drive with a small SSD cache embedded in the drive and a case so that I could transfer from the old drive to the new drive.     Perfectly easy and now I've got the old drive in that case which I can use as an extra HDD for other purposes.    And while I bought the machine with enough memory, if I want to upgrade the memory, I can.     That's how a pro machine should work.     In my opinion, just to reduce the thickness of the case by what...1/4 inch at most?....we're taking major steps backwards.     A pro should not have to give up their machine to Apple (or anyone) for several days to replace or upgrade any of these things that have been user replaceable for years.    It interferes with productivity and there are security issues regarding the data on the machine.   

Personally, I would gladly have a slightly thicker machine and be able to replace/upgrade the battery, storage and memory then to have a thinner machine where I can't.   If you're someone who replaces the machine every year or two, it won't matter to you.  But I keep my machines longer and one of the things I've always liked about my Macs as opposed to the PCs that I've used is that they actually remained functional (with upgrades) for many years.   I used my G4 tower for seven years before giving it away and it still worked perfectly - it just couldn't handle video editing or very large Photoshop files.   I mean really....how much space does Apple save by not having the memory in a socket?   How hard would it have been to design the machine so that the SSD was under a panel and removable?      

And he's not dissing it for having too good of a screen.  He's dissing Apple for being so paranoid about secrecy that they no longer work with major application companies like Adobe under non-disclosure so that they can get their software ready for day of release with the hardware.   I was a software publisher years ago and we got new Apple hardware long before release all the time.  We had to keep it locked in a room and sign our lives away, but at least we knew what was coming and could prepare for it.    

In spite of the excitement over the so-called Retina display, Apple will lose the developer community with machines like this.     I think that's a bad strategy.     

• Reply 57 of 102
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

In spite of the excitement over the so-called Retina display, Apple will lose the developer community with machines like this.     I think that's a bad strategy.     

No they won't. These sensationalistic, utterly disconnected proclamations are always hilarious. The new MBP will make Apple lose the developer community? What planet do you live on?

The market has shown that this internet outrage over non-upgradebaility is pretty much horse-shit, the real world doesn't care. The same thing happened with the iPod, iPhone, iPad, Macbook Air, and now with the MBP. Proclamations how of Apple was shooting itself in the foot by having the nerve to not have user serviceable batteries, that it would be a massive disadvantage compared to the competition, etc etc. You'd think after like 10 new products that were insanely successful despite these 'fatal flaws' people like you would learn a thing or two and stop being so fucking self-righteous with these doomsday proclamations and pretending to know what people want- but I guess not, every time its the same thing, over and over.

Upgrading is becoming less and less important as time goes on. The demands of software is not increasing as fast as processing/storage speeds, especially when it comes to desktops/laptops. For fucks sake, the basic configuration STARTS with 8GB of RAM. Apple won't lose a single developer over this. They'll gain many. 

• Reply 58 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

From what I heard, websites look great on the Retina iPad so the process has already started.

I'm not sure what websites "look great" on the retina iPad, but I can't imagine there being many of them out there. It requires a lot more work and a lot of extra bandwidth.

I looked in to this a little further, and it appears Apple has optimized their site for the Retina display, but someone else agrees with me that it seems unlikely other web developers will follow suit: http://www.1techportal.com/2012/03/why-websites-may-never-be-updated-to-support-retina-and-hidpi-displays/

Here's someone else that's created a tutorial for creating retina images for your website: http://www.kylejlarson.com/blog/2012/creating-retina-images-for-your-website/

To be honest I can't see this catching on, especially for current sites. Perhaps this will become a common practice for building websites in the future, but I can't see anyone going back and modifying their current site, other than Apple.

• Reply 59 of 102
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can someone, ANYONE, please give a solid, plausible reason as why Apple went back to the older style of Magsafe? I just don't get it. I absolutely love the newer version on my Air, not only because it looks a million times better, but it also functions better as well as there's no bend and the cable can be hidden straight behind the notebook. I've never experienced a single issue with the design. It's better in so many ways. Why was it changed back??

With a pull coming from "behind" the display the angle of the previous design means there's a chance to "hook" the connector on it's recessed port and pull the machine back off a table. Like the gluing in of components my bet is they're responding to repair reports. The newer design will peel out with a much surer release without regard to the angle of the pull since the force get's redirected at the plug-wire connection. The whole point of the magnetic connector was a safe release, the hooking problem would have defeated that.

A good point, and a good explanation - MagSafe does in fact have that potential.  

But, I still prefer its form factor, tucking against the machine.  

If the issue is that the pressure point of release, with the cord exiting the plughead backwards, allows non-release and pulling on the machine, why not design the MagSafe 2 with a similarly slim profile, but the cord exiting the plug-head at right angle to the side of the machine instead of parallel to it?  

Then the release would be away to the side, not back, pulling the head out of the depression.  

The machine wouldn't be tugged, the new plughead wouldn't stick out the Apple Design equivalant of a country mile...voilà!  Best of both worlds...

• Reply 60 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

A good point, and a good explanation - MagSafe does in fact have that potential.  

But, I still prefer its form factor, tucking against the machine.  

Spend $9.99 and get a magsafe adapter. Done.