Review roundup: Samsung Galaxy S III called a strong iPhone competitor

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    ace3215ace3215 Posts: 1member

I think one of the most important features of the new Galaxy S3 was missed by the writer of this article.  With Samsung Allshare you can live stream anything on the phone screen to a samsung TV.  This opens up all kinds of options for the phone.  It could be used much the way a desktop or laptop is used by using a Bluetooth keyboard and the TV as a monitor for word processing, email, web surfing, whatever.  Also, it is able to connect to the XBOX controller, PS3 controller, and Wii controllers through a USBlink.  Granted, at the moment it can only be used to play PS1 and N64 type roms, but by broadcasting to the tv it becomaes a bit of a gaming hub or console.  Add the fact the HD content on the phone plays HD on the tv and you can use the Android Market to stream movies and radio.

I am seriously considering it as a replacement for Sattelite TV and my computer.  OF course it helps is you have a Samsung TV.  

• Reply 42 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

One place where Samsung's Galaxy phones are smoking Apple is in the phone's SAR rating. Apple's phones have consistently been in the 1.1 - 1.17 watts per kg range. Samsung's Galaxy phones are typically at about 0.3. The FCC allows a maximum of 1.6 watts/kg

It's disappointing that Apple doesn't lead in this regard either, especially considering the potential links to brain cancer and the cause of death of their founder.

Please don't spread FUD. Your information is outdated. There is no known risk of cancer due to radio frequency energy, the reputable studies just don't show any links. There is always room for more research into this issue, but so far no increase in risk has been found. Read some very good information from the National Cancer Institute here: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cellphones

• Reply 43 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace3215 View Post

I think one of the most important features of the new Galaxy S3 was missed by the writer of this article.  With Samsung Allshare you can live stream anything on the phone screen to a samsung TV.  This opens up all kinds of options for the phone.  It could be used much the way a desktop or laptop is used by using a Bluetooth keyboard and the TV as a monitor for word processing, email, web surfing, whatever.  Also, it is able to connect to the XBOX controller, PS3 controller, and Wii controllers through a USBlink.  Granted, at the moment it can only be used to play PS1 and N64 type roms, but by broadcasting to the tv it becomaes a bit of a gaming hub or console.  Add the fact the HD content on the phone plays HD on the tv and you can use the Android Market to stream movies and radio.

I am seriously considering it as a replacement for Sattelite TV and my computer.  OF course it helps is you have a Samsung TV.  

i think it is Samsung AllShite...not Allshare. 

• Reply 44 of 57
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member

I think Android and the iPhone appeal to users with different priorities.  The iphone is simple to use, has many more quality apps and a more consistent user interface both in the OS and in apps.  Android has more diversity in hardware, more OS customization and of course better Google apps integration.  The only thing that still irks me about the iPhone is its inability to word wrap in the browser especially with a small 3.5 inch screen.  Sure there are some browsers in which you can change the default double tap font size, but it isn't quite the same.  The Galaxy S3 is way too big for me though, and SAMOLED screens are notorious for having color casts especially those with a pentile matrix. Hopefully, a new trend to smaller 4" phones will happen now that phone size (I hope) has reached it's maximum -- other than niche products like the Galaxy note.

• Reply 45 of 57
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

First of all, Jobs had pancreatic cancer not brain cancer. Also, I just the SAR Rating for the Galaxy S III and it's 1.49 W/kg to the body:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-4238.php

Don't spread the FUD here - you'll get called on it.

same site:

iPhone 4s:   1.18 W/kg (head)     0.98 W/kg (body)    

iPhone 4 (not on that site) 1.17 (head)  0.43 (body)  (this site: http://www.phonearena.com/news/FCC-greets-the-Apple-iPhone-4-heres-an-SAR-comparison_id11766

iPhone 3gs: 0.26 W/kg (head)     0.79 W/kg (body)    

Galaxy S II: 0.16 W/kg (head)     0.96 W/kg (body)    

Galaxy S III:  0.55 W/kg (head)     1.49 W/kg (body) 

it's irrelevant that Jobs did not die of brain cancer... he died of cancer.  

• Reply 46 of 57
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixnaHalfFeet View Post

Please don't spread FUD. Your information is outdated. There is no known risk of cancer due to radio frequency energy, the reputable studies just don't show any links. There is always room for more research into this issue, but so far no increase in risk has been found. Read some very good information from the National Cancer Institute here: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cellphones

of course this site noted just a few days ago that the FCC was, for the first time in 15 years, opening an inquiry on this very topic.   I'm not spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt, i'm talking about Apple being a leader in many respects, not just in dropping optical drives. 

• Reply 47 of 57
    wok tosswok toss Posts: 14member

even as much as we love our iPhones, one can't deny the overall superiority of the Galaxy... it's easy to be in denial with a jaded heart.

• Reply 48 of 57
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    jusjeff wrote: »
    My first questions as always is: How's the battery life, not today or next week but after a couple weeks of use.
    A friend of mine purchased the Samsung Note because he saw someone else editing a document on theirs.
    He returned it a couple days later because it wouldn't run more than 4 hours after charging it up!
    I had a Samsung Galaxy II for a trial phone and experienced the same issue.
    A V****on rep had a Motorola Droid Razor and said he made it from 6 in the morning until about 2, he couldn't make it a full work day.
    I told a co-worker to get the new Nokia phone (she doesn't like iPhones) and she's fixing to return it for the same problem, no battery life!
    It seems to me they would make these phones a little bit thicker, with a bigger battery for a longer running time, and use that as a major selling point!

I have an iPhone4 and constantly get 2 days from a single charge! Sometimes 3 with light use.

My first question will always be... How's the battery life?
    Battery life is better than the iphone 4s, but most new Android based phones are. The 4s doesn't even have 4g LTE and it still sucks at battery life. Nice thing about the Galaxy series is the capability to swap out batteries. I have a 3800mA battery in my Galaxy S2 and can go well over 24 hours with wifi, 4g, gps, notificatons, etc. In the onposition, as well as hours of web surfing, game play and videos. The iphone is a joke when it comes to battery life. I know, I have an ip4s as well. And your claim of 2 days is horseshit, unless you barely use it and,I do mean barely. Don't lie to people that know better.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wok Toss View Post

even as much as we love our iPhones, one can't deny the overall superiority of the Galaxy... it's easy to be in denial with a jaded heart.

Speak for yourself.  Not for the group.

I didnt see anything that made me want to trade my 4S for the S3.  Big screen, LTE, Android.  Seen this story before.. and passed on it before.

• Reply 50 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    wok toss wrote: »

Yes, one can. One just did. One will until it's not the case. One wishes two would speak for twoself.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    markbyrn wrote: »
    I'm still honked off at Apple killing off WiFi scanning.

Yeah... I wish I could use kismet on an iPad to troubleshoot wifi problems. Usually when I am having the problems it is with my Macbook Air, so running a scan and using the device at the same time is a mess.

Sure, I understand how the majority of use is likely marginally ethical, but there is nothing wrong with the minority of uses!
  • Reply 52 of 57
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I find Android generally to be a barf of features; flashy but confusing, jumbled together and half digested.

That said, I saw someone with a gigantic black android phone the other day and I couldn't help but love the screen.  After using the iPad for a while (bought my first one with gen 3), my iPhone screen is so small I barely want to touch it except to make calls.  Pretty much never play games on it any more.  Just don't want to.

To my untrained eyeballs I find this phone is very nice looking.

Come on Apple, give us something really gorgeous for iP5!

5th gen. iPhone was released last fall.

• Reply 53 of 57
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i think this phone is ugly.

and it runs 'hot'? who the hell wants that? i think the galaxy nexus looks better and they should have just kept its form factor, lack of physical buttons, and just updated the specs and display. i don't know why these companies can't understand the notion of trying to perfect something rather than just keep slinging sh*t out there hoping it will stick.

plus, the pics i have seen of the iphone 5, if they are real, will just put more distance between android sets. i like the design of it.

• Reply 54 of 57
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Holy crap, why does it matter? I've seen you post almost identical posts in other topics relating to the iPhone.

• Reply 55 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This alone encapsulates all the problems with Android for the regular joe-user.  Tech-saavy folks with lots of time to burn fiddling with inanimate objects will obviously be attracted to this "feature" of Android to resolve their quick 5-minute fixes.  Call it "user-choice" and "user-control", for most it's a waste of time.  

Do you honestly expect a positive review of a competing handset from Mossberg? The man Steve Jobs referred to as "our friend Walt Mossberg?"

I quite like his reviews, but he's myopic in his support of Apple, to the detriment of his credibility.

• Reply 56 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

i didn't say '5th generation' i said 'iphone 5'. the last iphone is called the 'iphone 4s'. look at Apple's website, i guess they got the name wrong too?

and try not to be clever. it doesn't suit you.

• Reply 57 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    look at Apple's website, i guess they got the name wrong too?

No, that's not what this implies.