iPhone 5 will put Samsung's Galaxy S III to shame, says Foxconn CEO

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Chief Executive Officer Terry Gou of Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., otherwise known as Apple device manufacturer Foxconn, told customers on Monday to disregard Samsung's recently-released Galaxy S III smartphone and wait for the upcoming iPhone 5 instead.

The CEO's bold statement came during Hon Hai's annual stockholder's meeting where Gou mentioned a number of strategies that will allow the company to "beat" Samsung within the next three to five years, reports Focus Taiwan.

Apple's iPhone was only mentioned in passing with Gou saying that "the new model will put Samsung?s Galaxy III to shame," with the main thrust of the message being Foxconn's ambition to overtake Samsung in seemingly every electronics market the South Korean company competes.

To that end Gou noted a strategic alliance with Japanese electronics manufacturer Sharp which will mate cutting-edge technology with Foxconn's prodigious production capacity to yield a product that is three years ahead of anything Samsung can muster. It was revealed in March that Foxconn became Sharp's single largest shareholder after it purchased a 10 percent stake in the Japanese company for $808 million to boost demand for products coming out of the 10th-generation LCD plant in Sakai. That particular factory makes 60-inch and 80-inch class LCD panels and happens to have an exclusive deal with American firm Corning to use its Gorilla Glass in large format applications.

Foxconn will begin operating the Sakai factory on July 1 and the Taiwanese company is said to be in talks to buy more Sharp shares though no official statement has been made regarding the purchase. Gou said that he invested in the Sakai plant with his own money so as not to affect Hon Hai's stock and plans to list the Japanese factory on the Taiwan stock exchange within three years.

The Foxconn and Sharp collaboration fueled speculation that the companies were looking to vie for orders of Apple's rumored HDTV but the claims have yet to be validated.

Terry Gou
Foxconn CEO Terr Gou. | Source: Forbes

According to the China Times, it is Gou's lifetime goal to defeat Samsung, a company that he says has "a track record of snitching on its competitors." The chief executive is referring to the whistleblower role taken by Samsung in the European Commission's 2010 flat-panel price fixing investigation of four Taiwanese companies.

"I respect the Japanese and especially like their execution and communication styles," Gou said. "Unlike the Koreans, they will not hit you from behind."

Gou has been known to be quite outspoken and in May supposedly let slip that Foxconn was prepping its factories for an Apple television order but the report was later denied by the company's PR department.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 134
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Didn't know Foxconnalready had complete and working iPhone 5's to be able to compare against the S3? Or he was jst talking out of his ass. I think it's he later one.
    But this guy would say anything negative abot Samsung, regardless if it is true or not.
  • Reply 2 of 134
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    mac.world wrote: »
    Didn't know Foxconnalready had complete and working iPhone 5's to be able to compare against the S3? Or he was jst talking out of his ass. I think it's he later one.
    But this guy would say anything negative abot Samsung, regardless if it is true or not.

and why do you think that's the later one? because you are a hater and shouldn't be here (if you were normal)?

samsung=mafia. burn them all.
  • Reply 3 of 134
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

and why do you think that's the later one? because you are a hater and shouldn't be here (if you were normal)?

samsung=mafia. burn them all.

Ahh you dont like Samsung? This means you are going to burn all your Apple products containing SAMSUNG components. 

• Reply 4 of 134
    sipsip Posts: 210member

The iPhone 5 launch (and availability) is at the most probably 3 months away. Apple will likely require millions of handsets on launch date, so it is quite possible that hardware production has already started, and the software install will happen closer to launch date.

• Reply 5 of 134
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Ahh you dont like Samsung? This means you are going to burn all your Apple products containing SAMSUNG components

I can't speak for the OP but this doesn't follow at all.  

If I don't want to buy an American car because it's shite, it doesn't necessarily follow that I will only buy a car that doesn't even use parts from the USA.  It's about the design and manufacture of the car/phone.  

• Reply 6 of 134
    moewmoew Posts: 41member

Wow, companies producing the iphone are saying that you should wait for the iphone.

LOL

Maybe that LOL should bew 120px and bolded.

• Reply 7 of 134

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I can't speak for the OP but this doesn't follow at all.  

If I don't want to buy an American car because it's shite, it doesn't necessarily follow that I will only buy a car that doesn't even use parts from the USA.  It's about the design and manufacture of the car/phone.  

Of course it follows perfectly. He obviously has a hatred for Samsung, like so many in this forum, so it would stand to reason that he would not buy a Samsung product or any product using Samsung components.

• Reply 8 of 134

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

He also could be speaking on Apple's behalf issuing some FUD to blunt Samsung's sales. 

• Reply 9 of 134

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I respect the Japanese and especially like their execution and communication styles," Gou said. "Unlike the Koreans, they will not hit you from behind."

Nothing like a little casual racism to tell us who the enemy is.

• Reply 10 of 134

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

He also could be speaking on Apple's behalf issuing some FUD to blunt Samsung's sales. 

Exactly.

• Reply 11 of 134
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Of course it follows perfectly. He obviously has a hatred for Samsung, like so many in this forum, so it would stand to reason that he would not buy a Samsung product or any product using Samsung components.

No, he/she just said "Samsung=mafia" and "burn them all" (presumably burn the products, or burn the people).   

It was a childish and insulting thing to say but it doesn't seem to me that it implies that he shouldn't be using an iPhone or would purposely not use a product that had Samsung chips in it.  Personally, I hate Google, but that doesn't mean I'm going to not use Safari just because Apple made a deal with (my) hated Google for search.  

• Reply 12 of 134
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Not a fair comparison anyway. It’s apples and oranges. The New iPhone (5? 6?) should be compared to the 2013 Galaxy S IV Vision2Evolution. Which hasn’t been announced yet, but THAT is the phone that will attempt to clone the New iPhone. It’s just not fair to compare to a Samsung phone that’s still trying to be an iPhone 4.

• Reply 13 of 134
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I don't recall ever seeing Apple or any other company associated with then tring to hurt sales of competiting products by promoting Apple vaporware before. Would this a first? 

• Reply 14 of 134
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To that end Gou noted a strategic alliance with Japanese electronics manufacturer Sharp which will mate cutting-edge technology with Foxconn's prodigious production capacity to yield a product that is three years ahead of anything Samsung can muster. 

Three years ahead. In what way? The new iPhone will still come with iOS 6 which already puts the phone behind at least a year when compared to the competition. Currently iOS is falling behind to the tightly packed ICS if we talk strictly about software point of view. God knows what will happen when Google will unveil Jelly Bean. And WP8 to come, I hope Apple make some substantial changes in UI of iOS 7. 

• Reply 15 of 134

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No, he/she just said "Samsung=mafia" and "burn them all" (presumably burn the products, or burn the people).   

It was a childish and insulting thing to say but it doesn't seem to me that it implies that he shouldn't be using an iPhone or would purposely not use a product that had Samsung chips in it.  Personally, I hate Google, but that doesn't mean I'm going to not use Safari just because Apple made a deal with (my) hated Google for search.  

I stand by what I said, if someone proclaims a hatred for something so much then they should stand by what they say and don't use the products, or parts of. This site doesn't work like that though...posters in here want to make big outlandish statements and not back them up.

• Reply 16 of 134

I guess he's really been making those workers sweat. Hell, we might get twice as many suicides out of this iphone run, right? And then Apple can improve technology even further through the development of cutting edge patent litigation techniques. Go Apple!

• Reply 17 of 134
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

Three years ahead. In what way? The new iPhone will still come with iOS 6 which already puts the phone behind at least a year when compared to the competition. Currently iOS is falling behind to the tightly packed ICS if we talk strictly about software point of view. God knows what will happen when Google will unveil Jelly Bean. And WP8 to come, I hope Apple make some substantial changes in UI of iOS 7. 

omg.. lol.  thanks for that.

• Reply 18 of 134
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

BREAKING NEWS: NEW PHONE WILL BE SUBJECTIVELY BETTER THAN LESS NEW PHONE. NEWS AT 8. 

• Reply 19 of 134
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

Why? The UI of iOS is very functional and understood my tens of millions of users. If they had somehow made a terrible interaction metaphor that people couldn't understand, maybe they would need to go back to the drawing-board, but why surprise and confuse your customers just to have something "new"? This is where Microsoft annoy me because in every major release things get moved around, renamed and reordered. If the original design is strong enough, it can evolve instead of being thrown away, forcing your users to relearn what they already knew how to do. Look at the evolution from MacOS to OS X Lion and then look at Windows 1.0 through Windows 8. Both have gone through significant cosmetic changes as graphics capabilities evolved, but the essential desktop metaphor and usage has been more consistent throughout the Apple lineage.

So, given your strong views on user interface and user interaction design, please give us the top five ways you might fix the UI of iOS 7 without alienating and confusing Apple's long-time users.

• Reply 20 of 134
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by texbarrister View Post

I guess he's really been making those workers sweat. Hell, we might get twice as many suicides out of this iphone run, right? And then Apple can improve technology even further through the development of cutting edge patent litigation techniques. Go Apple!

To be honest, I don't care how many people die, as long as I get my Apple devices. Suicides are a completely natural thing and suicide statistics that are below most national averages are a wonderful thing, they should be celebrated.

So, to address your first point about suicides, who gives a shit, really? Yawn. You should go hold a demonstration somewhere, do something useful instead of trolling an Apple forum. Maybe the proven liar, Mike Daisey can have you as a guest on his show sometime. 

And to address your second point, Apple sues because other talentless and no innovation companies constantly copies Apple's trendsetting and industry leading designs. Only a moron wouldn't sue somebody else who was ripping off their products.