Australian judge approves $2.3M fine against Apple for 4G iPad marketing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I doubt that's not what these penalties are for. Besides the revenue earning aspect of fines I assume it's prevent any obscure (read: universal) marketing from being in the future.

Pretty much, Australia's economy is hardly failing so its not like we need the revenue from this fine, it's about making a point.

• Reply 22 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Actually it is, if you take it somewhere with "4G" it WILL work.

The 4G components haven't been removed, it still has 4G chips.

You are clearly wrong when it comes to selling it in Australia so just except it and move on.

• Reply 23 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    Sorry..I agree with the judge.  I love Apple, but they had no business labeling a product as being 4G capable when it wasn't.    

And your argument is just as wrong as the last 1000 times it was used.

First, the device is still 4G capable - if you take it to a place that has LTE of the right frequency, it works. The advertisement even told you where to take it (US or Canada).

Second, HSPA+ meets the international definition of 4G, so even in Australia, the device provides 4G service.

Finally, even if the customer is unwilling to accept those factual arguments, Apple offered a complete refund to any unhappy customers, so no one was harmed.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    I'm contemplating suing AT&T & Apple for showing a 4G indicator when it's only 3G - I think 50K in compensation for all my pain and suffering is appropriate.
  • Reply 25 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And your argument is just as wrong as the last 1000 times it was used.

First, the device is still 4G capable - if you take it to a place that has LTE of the right frequency, it works. The advertisement even told you where to take it (US or Canada).

Second, HSPA+ meets the international definition of 4G, so even in Australia, the device provides 4G service.

Finally, even if the customer is unwilling to accept those factual arguments, Apple offered a complete refund to any unhappy customers, so no one was harmed.

You are wrong and will always be wrong on this issue so just move on. Maybe you have a awesome car analogy for us?? lol

• Reply 26 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

How has this stopped the supply of your stock? If you say it has then you are clearly lying.

We sold all our stock of iPads.

ACCC "Australian customers are too stupid to read" bullshit comes up.

No shipments.

Proceedings through court...

No shipments.

Finalisation of court proceedings.

Shipments show up in different packaging.

Coincidence?

I think not.

• Reply 27 of 45
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Why is it so difficult for Americans to understand that other countries have their very own laws, and that if they are broken then there will be a sanction? Personally, I think Apple is lucky to be able to sell in Australia, given how much more expensive their stuff is there. Also the economy is light years better than the US economy, so people have more disposable income.
  • Reply 28 of 45

Quote:

We sold all our stock of iPads.

ACCC "Australian customers are too stupid to read" bullshit comes up.

No shipments.

Proceedings through court...

No shipments.

Finalisation of court proceedings.

Shipments show up in different packaging.

Coincidence?

I think not.

You are talking absolute crap, iPads have always been available during this issue. It's a shame we have so many of your type in retail sales in this country, you really have no idea about consumer law in Australia.

• Reply 29 of 45
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    lerxt wrote: »
    Why is it so difficult for Americans to understand that other countries have their very own laws, and that if they are broken then there will be a sanction? Personally, I think Apple is lucky to be able to sell in Australia, given how much more expensive their stuff is there. Also the economy is light years better than the US economy, so people have more disposable income.

Regardless of your nationality, you can't be familiar with laws of the every country and Apple operates in multitudes of countries. That's why Apple has Australian corporate legal staff that work for their company and their job is to ensure that Apple is complying with the local laws. If the local staff in Australia took the opportunity to review the packaging to ensure compliance and passed it, who's fault is it? Some Australian lawyers who don't know their own laws, right? By your standard, that local lawyer(s) should be fired because they didn't know their 'very own' laws.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I have said this before but Apple should just tweak their Australian pricing by adding A$0.99 to every iPad. That will replace the money paid out to the Australian government.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I have said this before but Apple should just tweak their Australian pricing by adding A$0.99 to every iPad. That will replace the money paid out to the Australian government.

Great theory...so Apple should jack the up the price for every other mistake they make as well? 

• Reply 32 of 45
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    charlituna wrote: »
    I wonder how many folks were really confused by the statement "LTE only works in North America"

"but that's not the point"

Apple isn't likely to fight this even though the real issue is that some folks were too lazy to read and/or carriers to lazy to train their sales staff correctly (a problem the US has with all three carriers). they make this much money in the time it takes Tim Cook to drive to work. It's almost a joke that the fine is this low but at least the Australian Government can say they did something to 'the big bad lying Apple' so all will be happy

In all fairness though, prominently advertising it as LTE presents information extraneous to the market in question.
    Something like this:

iDevice LTE*
    *LTE feature does not actually work in your market.

This doesn't strike me as a good way to communicate.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    fredaroony wrote: »
    You are wrong and will always be wrong on this issue so just move on. Maybe you have a awesome car analogy for us?? lol

You've been given the car analogy 100 times - and it still hasn't sunk it. It's pretty obvious why you think I'm wrong - you refuse to even consider the arguments that are presented.

Of course, since you don't present any arguments of your own or explain WHY you think I'm wrong, that's not surprising. Your mind is closed and you are incapable of any kind of rational discussion.
  • Reply 34 of 45

Quote:

It is like all those cars that are advertised as being able to be used in cities at 200 MPH.  

/s

• Reply 35 of 45
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

You've been given the car analogy 100 times - and it still hasn't sunk it. It's pretty obvious why you think I'm wrong - you refuse to even consider the arguments that are presented.

Of course, since you don't present any arguments of your own or explain WHY you think I'm wrong, that's not surprising. Your mind is closed and you are incapable of any kind of rational discussion.

The arguments on both sides have been presented more times than I care to count. As I recall, the sticking point was your refusal to accept that there is something wrong in producing 'misleading' advertising which is not necessarily false. It's disingenuous of you to suggest that your car analogy hasn't sunk in, since it's been explained to you multiple times why the analogy is flawed and you refuse to countenance those explanations.

• Reply 36 of 45
    euphonious wrote: »
    The arguments on both sides have been presented more times than I care to count. As I recall, the sticking point was your refusal to accept that there is something wrong in producing 'misleading' advertising which is not necessarily false. It's disingenuous of you to suggest that your car analogy hasn't sunk in, since it's been explained to you multiple times why the analogy is flawed and you refuse to countenance those explanations.

Sorry but "waaahhhhhh, I don't like reality" isn't a refutation.
  • Reply 37 of 45

Quote:

You are talking absolute crap, iPads have always been available during this issue. It's a shame we have so many of your type in retail sales in this country, you really have no idea about consumer law in Australia.

Telstra say they have a 4G network and sell 4G phones...

...but they don't, they won't work as advertised where I live or work, it doesn't work in stores where they advertise 4G.

It's a shame we have people like you who judge people too stupid to be able to read or make their own decisions.

F U C K THE NANNY STATE I AM SICK OF PEOPLE WANTING OTHERS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN STUPIDITY.

• Reply 38 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

It is like all those cars that are advertised as being able to be used in cities at 200 MPH.  

/s

...or SUV one's where they build their own roads.

I have NEVER seen a hamburger that looks anything remotely like the advertising pictures plastered around fast food joints and prominently advertised on TV, never, not once.

• Reply 39 of 45

Quote:

It will never sink because it's utter crap. As for the rest of your post, Pot kettle black my friend....

• Reply 40 of 45

Quote:

Telstra say they have a 4G network and sell 4G phones...

...but they don't, they won't work as advertised where I live or work, it doesn't work in stores where they advertise 4G.

It's a shame we have people like you who judge people too stupid to be able to read or make their own decisions.

F U C K THE NANNY STATE I AM SICK OF PEOPLE WANTING OTHERS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN STUPIDITY.

Yes of course it works, you are just trying to come up with more lame excuses for Apple. Telstra do sell 4G phones that work on 4G in THIS country.

Please for the love of God, get out of the sales business! You have zero clue what you are on about.

Actually tell us all where you work so I can come in and humiliate you in front of all your colleagues for not understanding the most basic of consumer law in this country. You will be exposed for the fool you are.