Features of the geforce 4 ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
what will the new features of the geforce 4 ? Anyone as an idea ? The new geforce 4 will be a new architecture design and not just a speed bump like the geforce 3 ti 500. What do you think that new architecture can bring : better benchmarks, new features and special effects ?

All suggestions are wellcome

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I know that you are exprecting a rather technically detailed response which I can't give. But in my opinion the GeForce 4 will offer similar capabilities than the XBox's chip does - maybe a slight bit more.

And I hope that they will give it an other name - just like they did with the original GeForce 256.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: RolandG ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 18
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    All the buzz on the net seems to indicate that the geForce4 will be the XBox GPU... basically a geForce3 with two rendering pipelines. I'll be a bit disappointed if that's all it is, when they did the XBox they said that it would never ship as a PC product and that the next PC product would go beyond it.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    The XBox has 2 Vertex Pipes as will the NV25 (GeForce4). However, I don't think the current version of OpenGL or DirectX can support this yet. I'm sure they will as soon as this card ships.

The main differences I've heard is that the clock rate will be higher (250Mhz in xbox, 300Mhz in NV25), memory bandwidth will be increased, it will have a more powerfull T&L unit, and also for the first time, hardware base iDCT.

All of this combined should make for a much more powerful card than GeForce3 (NV20) or the Xbox GPU (NV2A).

• Reply 4 of 18
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by Blizaine:

<strong>The XBox has 2 Vertex Pipes as will the NV25 (GeForce4). However, I don't think the current version of OpenGL or DirectX can support this yet. I'm sure they will as soon as this card ships.

The main differences I've heard is that the clock rate will be higher (250Mhz in xbox, 300Mhz in NV25), memory bandwidth will be increased, it will have a more powerfull T&L unit, and also for the first time, hardware base iDCT.

All of this combined should make for a much more powerful card than GeForce3 (NV20) or the Xbox GPU (NV2A).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The two pipes will work fine with OpenGL / DirectX. From an API point of view there is no change, it just means that it grinds through vertices twice as fast.

No doubt that it'll hum along at a respectable rate.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    High end board will have faster memory 600MHz DDR, probally from Hynix and be offered with up to 128MB of memory.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Will the GeForce 4 be better for 2D work like photoshop then ATI's 8500?

I'm trying to figure out what is the best chip for what I do mainly.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I posted a few specs in my "GeForce 4" and "The Party is Febuary 5th" threads. Check those for info.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Will the GeForce 4 be better for 2D work like photoshop then ATI's 8500?

I'm trying to figure out what is the best chip for what I do mainly.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Photoshop? It doesn't really matter much does it? I mean I really couldn't tell the difference betweeen a Rage 128p vs. 2mx card (let alone a GF4!!)... Why would you want a GeForce 4 card for Photoshop? I mean, back in the old days I know it took a while for it to redraw but nowdays it goes so fast on even a Rage 128. Perhaps your working on massive files or something ...
  • Reply 9 of 18
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by X704:

<strong>

Photoshop? It doesn't really matter much does it? I mean I really couldn't tell the difference betweeen a Rage 128p vs. 2mx card (let alone a GF4!!)... Why would you want a GeForce 4 card for Photoshop? I mean, back in the old days I know it took a while for it to redraw but nowdays it goes so fast on even a Rage 128. Perhaps your working on massive files or something ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, someone told me that ATI is better for 2D whereas the niVdia is better for 3D. But that was just one person and I wanted to find out if anyone else had an opinion on which card would be better for photoshop work.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

Well, someone told me that ATI is better for 2D whereas the niVdia is better for 3D. But that was just one person and I wanted to find out if anyone else had an opinion on which card would be better for photoshop work.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've heard that too. But my point is that it seems like any video card is really fast enough for good 2D in photoshop (and therefore blowing $500 on a GF4 is silly). Perhaps there are situations where some need faster cards.

I mean, what's the difference in using a G4 400 vs a DP G4 800 in word. Nothing. Why? Because they're both fast enough to do it withought decernable difference.

The things I find myself waiting for is for filters, image resizing, rotating, etc, not waiting for it to redraw.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I think the argument that ATI is better for 2D is related to the quality of the image, not speed. Ive also heard that ATI has superior image quality, but dunno.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Blizaine:

<strong>The XBox has 2 Vertex Pipes as will the NV25 (GeForce4). However, I don't think the current version of OpenGL or DirectX can support this yet. I'm sure they will as soon as this card ships.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does it means that this graphic card will be 20 % more performant than the nv2A from the X box concerning the number of trianles per sec (140 millions triangles per sec) or that it will be twice as fast as a geforce 3 (&gt;200 millions triangles per second ?).
  • Reply 13 of 18
  • Reply 14 of 18
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Do you guys think that there is any chance that nvidia could make a Graphics card, (maybe a flavour of the geforce 4)that could accelerate quartz.

Apple would give most of the money, and Nvidia and apple seem to be quite close at the momment.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I want a dual 1.4 GHz G5 with a GeForce 4!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Since what nVidia does is give out reference boards, Apple actually makes the GeForce2 MX cards and GeForce 3 cards that come in Macs. So they could work on developing a quartz accelerator for the GeForce 4. There have been a lot of rumors suggesting that we will see the fruits of the Raycer Graphics deal with the next PowerMacs. Raycer could do the work for quartz acceleration or something.

I badly want a G5 1 Ghz or over. That's all I'm asking! I need it for Cubase, 3D work, games, etc. Did I mention I would buy a GeForce 4 too?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Regardless of the card involved, I just want the computer to never, ever ever, make me wait.

I hate opening a new finder window and.......

....waiting for the list to pop up.

I hate doing a save-as and waiting for the thing to figure out where it's at so I can figure out where to save a file.

Is there any video card work involved in this, or what?

(i know nothing about the hardware involved).

What will make the computer *seem* faster?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    i saw in a PC magazine that Nvidia will release 2 new chips in 2002 : the nv 25 aka geforce 4 and the nv 17. Both chips wlll be based on 0,13 micron process.

The nv 25 is supposed to have 300 mhz DDR memory up to 128 mB ram.

There is less information about the nv 17 : does it will replace the old geforce 2 mx card ?

Later ATI will release his new chip the rx 300 based upon a 0,15 micron process.

Both high end cards from ATI and Nvidia will be so powerfull that they will need the release of DOOM 3 to have an interest compared to geforce 3 500 TI or radeon 8500.