Foxconn rumored to begin receiving Apple television LCDs in Q3 2012

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A new rumor claims Sharp is set to begin delivering LCD TV panels to assembler Foxconn in order to begin building Apple television sets.

The details were reported Thursday morning on Chinese news site 21cbh.com, and summarized by analyst Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets. According to the report, Foxconn originally expected to begin receiving LCD TV panels for an Apple television in the fourth quarter of this year, but that scheduled arrival from Sharp has apparently been moved up.

The publication allegedly spoke with a Sharp executive and other sources at the company, which led the news outlet to believe LCD TV panels have been ordered for an anticipated Apple television. The report suggested such a device could be made available before the 2012 holiday season.

"In our view, a holiday launch would make for a very merry holiday season for Apple and consumers," White said. "However, we will continue to monitor the data points surrounding the timing of this launch as they could change."

Foxconn bought a 10 percent stake in Sharp in March, worth $808 million, in an effort to help boost Sharp's struggling LCD business. The deal prompted speculation that both companies were hoping to enter into Apple's supply chain for the company's anticipated television set.

Television

Some have suggested that Sharp's new Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide (IGZO) panels would be a good match for an Apple television. Sharp is already a major display supplier for Apple, including Retina displays for the new iPad.

White believes the pieces are in place for Apple to launch a full-fledged HDTV in the near future. With just a 2 percent unit share in the LCD TV market, White believes Apple could generate sales of $10 billion per year, with $1.50 to $2.00 in earnings per share.

Earlier this month, White revealed that while visiting Taipei, Taiwan, for the Computex trade show, sources in Apple's supply chain hinted that the anticipated Apple television will have a "special type of motion detection technology" that will be the primary method of controlling the device. He was also told that the television could include a "unique" plastic-backed remote control with a touch panel, appearing similar to the iPad, for control of the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 121
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Please, up to at least 60"!
  • Reply 2 of 121
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

When do pre-orders begin?

Did the complete the purchase of Loewe yet?  http://www.loewe.tv

They should also toss TomTom into the shopping cart while they're at it. http://www.tomtom.com

We'll see...

• Reply 3 of 121

I hope that Apple DO NOT USE LCD. They have been demonstrating a certain level of environmental care by using LED and a lot of new TV's use LED, so why would they go back to the bad old days?

Apple TV? It would want to be VERY VERY good. Trying to sell a product into an already heavily saturated market is not easy.

Besides, I have a Mac-mini connected to a 50" TV right now, with legato eye TV, a brilliant match. The TV and mac mini combined with the Eye TV costs about $2500. I'd imagine that Apple won't be getting something on the market at that price.

Here's what I think might help sell it:

1. All 5.1 surround sound channels available to stream REAL TIME to wireless speakers. 

2. Retina display for 50" to 60" hires display.

3. WiFi real time streaming available from iPad and Mac OS to TV

4. Safari browsing with remote mouse/trackpad/keyboard

5. Front row with remote to iTunes/tv/etc...

6. Free content. Well, at least some! Come on Apple, if you charge premium price for hardware, give something back.

7. Free to air digital TV recording, pause live TV. Multiple channel recording/viewing

8. Thunderbolt for external media content storage devices, additional screens etc.

9. A very nice design and very nice price.

10. Something distinctly Apple. Don't know what or how, but it has to be unlike anything else on the market. iOS and Mac OS is simply not enough to make it special. Siri? Maybe, but perhaps LEAP might be the trick.

• Reply 4 of 121
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    A new rumour says that someone is going to buy and sell stocks today so they created a rumour.
  • Reply 5 of 121
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Another Apple Television rumor. Where's there's smoke, there's fire or is it just smoke and mirrors?
  • Reply 6 of 121
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    As mentioned in another article that the MBPR uses LG displays, but this article claims they use the Sharp. well, which one is it? Is there a noticeable difference? If, how can we tell?
  • Reply 7 of 121
    pnudingpnuding Posts: 4member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Windle View Post

I hope that Apple DO NOT USE LCD. They have been demonstrating a certain level of environmental care by using LED and a lot of new TV's use LED, so why would they go back to the bad old days?

Did you spend too much time listening to salespeople lately?

There's not a single TV or computer screen featuring an actual LED display today.

The only thing that happened were LCD backlights moving from CCFL to LED and Samsung's marketing department having the glorious idea of calling that an LED display even though it isn't.

If Apple is building a TV you can be pretty sure that behind the LCD panel there will be LEDs for the backlight, because that's what they're using in all the other product lines.

• Reply 8 of 121
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I thnk they are sending the panels to be used for upcoming iMacs, updated Thunderbolt monitors (USB 3) is my guess. It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with another larger sized monitor. This is my GUESS.
  • Reply 9 of 121
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    drblank wrote: »
    I thnk they are sending the panels to be used for upcoming iMacs, updated Thunderbolt monitors (USB 3) is my guess. It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with another larger sized monitor. This is my GUESS.

If you have to spend $2k+ on a new Apple TV, I would much rather they go with a 4k screen in a "reasonable" size (under 46") first. That is about the only thing i can see Apple providing essential value with-- nearly everything else is functional with the current box. With it being display-integrated, you can easily render vector objects without needing the high bandwidth interconnects.
  • Reply 10 of 121
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    drblank wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing. iMacs are due for a refresh in the next few months- and even if they kept the same screens, they need more. This could be a retina iMac, different sized iMacs, or just the same ole gorgeous screens the iMacs have currently.

And to the guy freaking out about them saying LCD and not led... You need to read up before you start analyzing (something analysts should also do).
  • Reply 11 of 121
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A new rumour says that someone is going to buy and sell stocks today so they created a rumour.

You don't believe it? Seems like we've had a quite a few rumours about a possible Q4 launch.

On the plus side, the more rumours the more likely that an Apple Television will happen one day.

I don't think it will happen this year as we've already got quite a few exciting new products lined up for this year: Retina iMac, iPad Mini, New iPhone. new iPods.

I still think WWDC 2013 is the most likely launch date but I'm happy to be wrong if it means getting one sooner.

• Reply 12 of 121
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    If you have to spend $2k+ on a new Apple TV, I would much rather they go with a 4k screen in a "reasonable" size (under 46") first. That is about the only thing i can see Apple providing essential value with-- nearly everything else is functional with the current box. With it being display-integrated, you can easily render vector objects without needing the high bandwidth interconnects.

A 4k display- wow that sounds awesome. What is it going to play? HD Cable, Blu rays, or iTunes streamed in 4k?

Why not make it 24k? It makes it just as useful as 4k.
  • Reply 13 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

A 4k display- wow that sounds awesome. What is it going to play? HD Cable, Blu rays, or iTunes streamed in 4k?

i wonder too.

Here in the USA - surely a prime market - even so called HD, if its not mainstream (example the other sports such as soccer) is so compressed HD is wasted, at least whenever there is any movement on the picture

• Reply 14 of 121
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

that is my thought as well. A high end Retina 27 inch iMac. new retina displays that might include a larger or two option and have HDMI to hook up an Apple TV etc. 

And I alway laugh when someone that is supposed to have knowledge in finance doesn't use the company's calendar. Apple's year starts in Oct so that holiday is Q1. So Apple is ending Q3 at the end of this month. You would think a money guy would know that and use that calendar. 

• Reply 15 of 121
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

There are 4k streams out in the wild thanks to there being (pricey but) available 4k cameras that anyone with the cash can buy. And properly done hardware can upscale a blu-ray to fit that screen with a minimum of black boxing. 

• Reply 16 of 121
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Please, up to at least 60"!

Not even close. At least 65". 

And plasma.

• Reply 17 of 121
    juanm105juanm105 Posts: 49member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnuding View Post

Did you spend too much time listening to salespeople lately?

There's not a single TV or computer screen featuring an actual LED display today.

The only thing that happened were LCD backlights moving from CCFL to LED and Samsung's marketing department having the glorious idea of calling that an LED display even though it isn't.

If Apple is building a TV you can be pretty sure that behind the LCD panel there will be LEDs for the backlight, because that's what they're using in all the other product lines.

hmm, what are these?

http://tv.toptenreviews.com/led-tv/

• Reply 18 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Windle View Post

Apple TV? It would want to be VERY VERY good. Trying to sell a product into an already heavily saturated market is not easy.

Besides, I have a Mac-mini connected to a 50" TV right now, with legato eye TV, a brilliant match. The TV and mac mini combined with the Eye TV costs about $2500. I'd imagine that Apple won't be getting something on the market at that price.

Here's what I think might help sell it:

1. All 5.1 surround sound channels available to stream REAL TIME to wireless speakers. 

2. Retina display for 50" to 60" hires display.

3. WiFi real time streaming available from iPad and Mac OS to TV

4. Safari browsing with remote mouse/trackpad/keyboard

5. Front row with remote to iTunes/tv/etc...

6. Free content. Well, at least some! Come on Apple, if you charge premium price for hardware, give something back.

7. Free to air digital TV recording, pause live TV. Multiple channel recording/viewing

8. Thunderbolt for external media content storage devices, additional screens etc.

9. A very nice design and very nice price.

10. Something distinctly Apple. Don't know what or how, but it has to be unlike anything else on the market. iOS and Mac OS is simply not enough to make it special. Siri? Maybe, but perhaps LEAP might be the trick.

1.  Yes, of course.  And it will come with a "Surround sound" soundbar built in so that the accessory speakers can be bought separately.

2.  The sizes will be the most popular sizes currently on the market.  Whatever the sweet spot is currently.

3.  Of course.

4.  All existing Mac accessories will work with it seamlessly.,

6.  There is plenty of free content already available,

7.  Onlty if it has a built-in Cablecard.  No wore-connected cable boxes will survive.

8.  No external devices will connect via wires.

10. It  will be Apple through and through.  Any resemblances to a traditional TV will be merely one capability. 

• Reply 19 of 121
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post

hmm, what are these?

http://tv.toptenreviews.com/led-tv/

LCD screens with LED backlights that they call LED screens for marketing purposes.  Every Apple screen is an LED screen by the definition.

• Reply 20 of 121
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Anyone bother to do the math to determine what a "Retina Display" actually is for say a 50" display from the appropriate viewing distance?

According to the math done a while back by a guy on TUAW, a 50" display would need a pixel density of about 50 ppi to be considered Retina from 72" away from the screen...

That doesn't seem right. Apple's next Retina Resolution is likely to be 3840 x 2160 (4x 1080p), which on a 50" Display would be 88 ppi.