Nokia woes expected to worsen as Lumia won't run Windows Phone 8

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Nokia's current flagship phone, the Lumia 900, won't be upgradeable to Microsoft's new Windows Phone 8 platform, leading some to expect Nokia's troubles will grow even more.

Earlier this week, Microsoft formally announced Windows Phone 8, which will launch on new handsets this fall. The operating system upgrade won't be available on existing Windows Phone 7-based devices, which means Nokia's Lumia 900 will be incompatible with the new platform.

Instead, Microsoft plans to offer an update in the form of Windows Phone 7.8 that will add some of the Windows Phone 8 features to the legacy platform. With Windows Phone 7.8, devices like the Lumia 900 will an updated Start screen with customizable tile sizes.

But even though the Lumia 900 will be upgraded to look like a Windows Phone 8 device, the fact that it will not receive all of the new features and functionality is seen as a serious blow to Nokia, which has bet heavily on the Windows Phone platform in its transition away from its own Symbian.

That means Nokia's troubles "could get worse before they get better," a report published Thursday in The Wall Street Journal said. It characterized the Nokia 900's lack of compatibility with Windows Phone 8 as a "major blow" to Nokia.

Malik Saadi, an industry analyst at Information Telecoms & Media, told author Sven Grundberg that many customers will now wait until Windows Phone 8 devices become available in the fall, instead of opting to buy a Nokia Lumia 900 in the meantime.

Lumia 900

In contrast, Apple's iPhone 3GS, first released in 2009, will be able to run iOS 6 when Apple releases its own operating system update this fall. While iPhone 3GS owners will get iOS 6, they will lose out on some new features such as built-in turn-by-turn directions, Flyover maps, Shared Photo Streams, Mail VIP lists and flagged smart boxes, and the Safari Offline Reading List.

Microsoft's announcement this week is the latest in a string of bad news for Nokia. A week ago, the Finnish handset maker announced plans to ax 10,000 jobs by the end of 2013 in an effort to cut costs and turn the company around.

Nokia was once the dominant force in smartphones, but failed to respond as the iPhone and devices running Google Android took over the market. The Lumia 900 is a major attempt by Nokia to counter that trend and switch to Windows Phone, but the company warned last week that sales in its "Smart Devices" business segment have been worse than expected, and that issue is expected to continue going into the next quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nokia's current flagship phone, the Lumia 900, won't be upgradeable to Microsoft's new Windows Phone 8 platform, leading some to expect Nokia's troubles ......

....or Microsoft's...

• Reply 2 of 129
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member

Isn't the key issue the fact that it (and all WP7.x devices) is orphaned from the WP8 native code base. Anyone coding natively for WP8 won't be able to run their apps on WP7.X phones like the L900.

• Reply 3 of 129
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

MS is pulling the rug out from under Windows Phone from now until December. The platform is already floundering. Now there will be even *less* reason for consumers to spend money on it. And what's the point, anyway? If consumers want a cheap, disposable phone that is iPhone-like without it being an iPhone, there's Android. If consumers want the "cool", Premium iPhone experience then they can get an iPhone. 

What's the reason to get a Windows Phone? What is the point of this platform? It brings nothing really game-changing or killer to the table. 

• Reply 4 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    capnbob wrote: »
    Isn't the key issue the fact that it (and all WP7.x devices) is orphaned from the WP8 native code base. Anyone coding natively for WP8 won't be able to run their apps on WP7.X phones like the L900.

At least WP7 apps, as I was informed the other day, will run on WP8 and current Win Phones will get an update to 7.8 as a conciliation prize. I wasn't expecting either of those things from MS.

Plus, are they really worse off than they were a year ago? Perhaps it's a good thing they can now use WinNT kernel for all their OSes. Better late than never, right?
  • Reply 5 of 129
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Here's Microsoft method of doing business.  First they try to screw Apple by practically copying the Mac GUI, but changed it enough to not be caught stealing it. THEN, they write contracts with their OEM partners to basically prevent them from offering the Mac Operating System on PCs.  THEN they now are talking about offering these so-called tablets to prevent their OEM partners from competing in what is unfair business practices because their OEM partners have to PAY Microsoft for the use of their OSs, but Microsoft does't pay a dime for it, plus Microsoft gets a competitive jump on the competition by showing their Windows 8 tablets way ahead of the Windows 8 release date.  Now, all of the WIndows 7 phone users can't upgrade to Windows 8 and they just started selling these WIndows 7 phone not too long ago.

What next?  So, Microsoft not only tries to screw over their competitors, but their business partners (of which Apple was a business partner) and now they are screwing their OEM partners, customers and everyone that they can think of.

I am surprised Microsoft is still one company and I am surprised if they don't have a flood of lawsuits hitting them.

I'm glad I am Apple user.  Apple wouldn't release a piece of hardware and then release a new operating system within a year that the hardware won't support.  They wait a fair amount of time before they drop support on a hardware product with regards to OS updates.  You may not get all of the functionality, but at least you can install it.  I think Apple waits somewhere around 2 to 3 years before they drop OS support in terms of updating hardware products.  Correct me if I am wrong.  I know the Smartphone industry in general has been faster moving than the PC industry due to the very nature of the product, but within a year of releasing a product?

• Reply 6 of 129
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Where are all the 'Nokia will never fail' people on this forum now? :) 

• Reply 7 of 129
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Here's Microsoft method of doing business.  First they try to screw Apple by practically copying the Mac GUI, but changed it enough to not be caught stealing it. THEN, they write contracts with their OEM partners to basically prevent them from offering the Mac Operating System on PCs.  THEN they now are talking about offering these so-called tablets to prevent their OEM partners from competing in what is unfair business practices because their OEM partners have to PAY Microsoft for the use of their OSs, but Microsoft does't pay a dime for it, plus Microsoft gets a competitive jump on the competition by showing their Windows 8 tablets way ahead of the Windows 8 release date.  Now, all of the WIndows 7 phone users can't upgrade to Windows 8 and they just started selling these WIndows 7 phone not too long ago.

What next?  So, Microsoft not only tries to screw over their competitors, but their business partners (of which Apple was a business partner) and now they are screwing their OEM partners, customers and everyone that they can think of.

I am surprised Microsoft is still one company and I am surprised if they don't have a flood of lawsuits hitting them.

I'm glad I am Apple user.  Apple wouldn't release a piece of hardware and then release a new operating system within a year that the hardware won't support.  They wait a fair amount of time before they drop support on a hardware product with regards to OS updates.  You may not get all of the functionality, but at least you can install it.  I think Apple waits somewhere around 2 to 3 years before they drop OS support in terms of updating hardware products.  Correct me if I am wrong.  I know the Smartphone industry in general has been faster moving than the PC industry due to the very nature of the product, but within a year of releasing a product?

I agree with most of what you say. 

Its ironic that after all those "smartphone beta test" ads.....turns out lumia buyers, the same ones swayed by those ads, WERE in fact the beta testers. 

Bad move on MS, which could have been easily avoided by playing the Apple game of pushing out a chopped up upgrade missing key features and STILL call it WP8, much in the same way a 3GS can get "iOS6"

• Reply 8 of 129
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What's the reason to get a Windows Phone?  

Because clueless consumers listened to the salesperson in the phone store who told them that they can buy this fantastic phone that is on sale and it runs Windows!

• Reply 9 of 129
    Instead of calling the update for the old phone 7.8, why not call it 8 as well, albeit without all the features, not too unlike what will happen with IOS 6 and the 3GS.

Framing; so the question is why is M$ screwing their partners?

And isn't the same thing true on the Android platform? Manufaturer fragmentation and proprietary versions of the Android OS leave most folks stuck without OS upgrade options?
  • Reply 10 of 129
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Nokia... sign a deal with the Devil... Well you know the rest.
    /
    /
    /
  • Reply 11 of 129
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

Microsoft does not need to sell any phones! They have the Surface now. Time to move on to the next product that they will screw up and kill before it has a chance. Steve Ballmer definitely looks the part.

• Reply 12 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sleepy3 wrote: »
    Its ironic that after all those "smartphone beta test" ads.....turns out lumia buyers, the same ones swayed by those ads, WERE in fact the beta testers.

I had completely forgot about that.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 13 of 129
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member

So I've been watching these Microshaft clowns for decades... This move, making CURRENTLY SHIPPING PARTNER HARDWARE OBSOLETE is NOT a new move for Bomber's Flying Monkey squad... It should, if there is ANY doubt left, remove any pretense that Microshaft has any respect for their partners, cares if they remain financially viable or not (even after dumping money my the ship load), OR are bothered by the fact that with most, if not all announcements, they further alienate customers as well??!!??!?!??

IF you currently have a Microshaft product, break it today and replace it with ANYTHING, or if you're planning on buying one, go have a long three-day weekend get-away for some friendly electro-shock therapy, so you'll change your mind....

• Reply 14 of 129
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Nokia... sign a deal with the Devil... Well you know the rest.

/

/

/

I am always curious as to why people feel the need to express their moral and political beliefs on a technology website. You know there are many websites, where people care to hear them. Just saying.

• Reply 15 of 129
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Microsoft has gotten pretty brilliant of late.

Problem: Microsoft needs to make their own hardware like Apple does. Apple’s model works. But how to jump suddenly into the phone hardware business? Apple makes it look easy, but it’s not. Hmmm....

Step 1: sell Nokia a bill of goods with Windows Phone 7, incomplete as it is, as the future for greater things. Let them put their success on the line with their customers.

Step 2: spring the trap! No Windows 8 for you! Watch Nokia’s stock tank.

Step 3: now you’ve made Nokia super cheap... great time to buy them! You are now in the phone hardware business. And you can “fix” the problems that Nokia users complain about rather than taking all the blame directly. Sell those people a bunch of Windows 8 phones ("Simon says" they WILL upgrade to Windows 9/whatever). You have sidestepped the very Windows 7 deficiencies you created AND created a nice fire sale for yourself to buy a major company!

Step 4: Hmmmm... Ford satisfaction ratings are tanking due to problems with our Windows software... go ahead, buy them too. And don’t forget we need milk :)

• Reply 16 of 129
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    -- eradicated --
  • Reply 17 of 129
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Nokia dropped their pants and bent over for Ballmer's Microsoft, this is the result. No surprises here.

This should remove all doubt that Windows Phone is a dead-end turd - and who with any sense would want to be a Microsoft "partner" now after the events of this week?
  • Reply 18 of 129
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    kent909 wrote: »
    I am always curious as to why people feel the need to express their moral and political beliefs on a technology website. You know there are many websites, where people care to hear them. Just saying.

It's just a saying. Using it doesn't imply religious or political beliefs.
  • Reply 19 of 129
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

This is the problem with the Microsoft/Android relationship with the hardware makers.  Folks like Nokia only make hardware.  So from Nokia's perspective, there is no real incentive for them to make their phones upgradeable as it does not offer any real ability to generate revenue from that.  They are in the business to sell the physical phone.  Last thing Nokia, or any other maker wants is users keeping their "old" 6-month phone around.

• Reply 20 of 129
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by danbrook View Post

Instead of calling the update for the old phone 7.8, why not call it 8 as well, albeit without all the features, not too unlike what will happen with IOS 6 and the 3GS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Bad move on MS, which could have been easily avoided by playing the Apple game of pushing out a chopped up upgrade missing key features and STILL call it WP8, much in the same way a 3GS can get "iOS6"

Because it's not Windows Phone 8, that would be misleading to consumers and developers.

The 3GS is getting API/Kernel/OS parity with all other iOS devices, just not feature parity, which is normal for older hardware.