Samsung's 'Easy Phone Sync' helps users switch from iOS to Galaxy

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
Samsung on Friday began touting a new application called "Easy Phone Sync" that allows users to transfer content from Apple's iOS to a Samsung Galaxy device, and even keeps Android devices up to date with DRM-free iTunes content.

The software allows users to transfer music, videos, podcasts, pictures, contacts and text messages from an iPhone to a Samsung device, like its new flagship Galaxy S III. The application was announced on Friday by Samsung Mobile U.K.

"We're really proud to announce the launch of this new application and can't wait to hear what our new and existing customers think of it," said Simon Stanford, vice president of Telecommunications and Networks at Samsung U.K. "We know that traditionally iPhone users have been reluctant to switch to an Android device because they couldn't use iTunes to manage their content. Easy Phone Sync means people can now enjoy their iTunes content on a Samsung Galaxy phone. What's more is that it's really easy for them to do, and literally takes five minutes to set up."

Samsung's use of a third-party application to transfer data is different from the approach that was taken by now-defunct Palm, which in 2009 made its webOS operating system trick iTunes into thinking a Palm smartphone was actually an iPod. That sparked a back-and-forth battle in which Apple kept blocking webOS from tricking iTunes, and Palm kept issuing webOS updates to re-enable iTunes sync.

However, Samsung's free "Easy Phone Sync" application does allow users to continue using iTunes software on their PC to manage music, videos and podcasts. That means while iTunes won't handle the syncing, the Samsung application will stay up-to-date with iTunes content.

Easy Phone Sync

The new application is another sign of the escalating rivalry between Apple and Samsung. The two companies are involved in a bitter patent dispute that now spans across the world with lawsuits in 10 countries.

The Easy Phone Sync application for Android is available on Google Play and is developed by Media Mushroom. Accompanying applications that work with the Android app are available for both Mac OS X and Windows PCs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Samsung is under the impression they can actually lure iPhone users, in a market situation where Apple's iPhone retention rates are sky-high. 

The only people Samsung is luring are other Android users, and the ones taking the big hit are the other Android OEMs.

• Reply 2 of 115
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

HAHA! Like that's gonna be popular. It's a one way street to the Mac/IOS platform I'm afraid Samsung. The only new traffic you get are people too stupid to know any different (fresh from some crappy symbian phone).

• Reply 3 of 115
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Can I take my saved game info from iOS to Android? No? No thanks. Not as if I was going to leave iOS anyways, but Android does have some really nice phones.
  • Reply 4 of 115
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    1. Only applies to the DRM parts
    2. Is related to iCloud synch
    3. Get a good media service versus gobbling together their new service, goggle service and amazon and Spotify mess
    4. Samsung would be better focused on retention and current user satisfaction than iPhone users
  • Reply 5 of 115
    ryukryuk Posts: 29member
    Really Samsung and i do mean really ...the only reason iPhone users have been reluctant to switch to android and your hardware is because u guy both make crap Now I hope u got and app for that
  • Reply 6 of 115
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Yeah, that'll really get me to switch. Can't wait.

• Reply 7 of 115

Hmmm...It is interesting how Samsung devotes so much time insulting iOS users with their commercials, yet spends time developing tools to lure them to Samsung's platform(We'll ignore the hardware and software copying for the moment). If iOS users are sheep, why do you want them? I mean, Apple, to my knowledge has no Android porting tools.

iOS customers are valuable. As highly educated as the tiny base of hard-core Android users, but actually willing to spend money. iOS users are also sticky.

I don't think any such tool will be all that successful a lure until Samsung decides to stop insulting these potential customers. When ask why he didn't endorse any candidates, Michael Jordan reputedly said "Republicans buy sneakers too!"  I own two Samsung televisions, but I really cannot see myself buying another Samsung product. According to Samsung, I am a foolish sheep interested only in appearances. I don't give my money to companies that insult me.

• Reply 8 of 115
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

HAHA! Like that's gonna be popular. It's a one way street to the Mac/IOS platform I'm afraid Samsung. The only new traffic you get are people too stupid to know any different (fresh from some crappy symbian phone).

Well, I think that's a clever move by Samsung. Remember Apple's iPhone is a smartphone for people not smart enough to use Android. Samsung is attracting more sophisticated users who grew out of the Apple's lala land away - while the dumb users, a sizable majority among Apple customer base, will probably stay with Apple's iPhone for a while. 

I personally owned 3 iPhones until last December - now a happy Galaxy user. I don't see why I should switch back to that small 3.6" display smartphone anytime soon.

• Reply 9 of 115
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    [quote] Simon Stanford, vice president of Telecommunications and Networks at Samsung U.K. "We know that traditionally iPhone users have been reluctant to switch to an Android device because they couldn't use iTunes to manage their content.[/quote]
    Yeah, that's what's been holding them back...
    Really...

A bad case of RDF?
    Except it has been distorted so only the person having it believes what he is saying and the ability to convince others has been removed.
    New name of RDF = Reality Delusional Field
  • Reply 10 of 115
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Samsung is under the impression they can actually lure iPhone users, in a market situation where Apple's iPhone retention rates are sky-high. 

The only people Samsung is luring are other Android users, and the ones taking the big hit are the other Android OEMs.

I had an iPhone 3GS and now an iPhone 4. My wife has an iPhone 4 and my son has the 4S. While this app on its own isn't enough to entice me to switch from my beloved iPhone to a Galaxy, the larger screen, openness of Android and the Galaxy camera app all have me seriously considering ditching my iPhone for a Galaxy.

• Reply 11 of 115
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    I might use this. No, not to switch to Android, but I wonder if it will transfer my iTunes media to my non-Apple MP3 player. I think the Droid model is similar to Win CE in that the destination (phone) appears as just another removable drive - same as my cheap and disposable RCA Perl player.
  • Reply 12 of 115
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    larrya wrote: »
    I might use this. No, not to switch to Android, but I wonder if it will transfer my iTunes media to my non-Apple MP3 player. I think the Droid model is similar to Win CE in that the destination (phone) appears as just another removable drive - same as my cheap and disposable RCA Perl player.

Most people will see your post as evidence that it is not the smart people moving from iOS to Android. Enjoy you feeling of superiority. Seek help.
  • Reply 13 of 115
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

I had an iPhone 3GS and now an iPhone 4. My wife has an iPhone 4 and my son has the 4S. While this app on its own isn't enough to entice me to switch from my beloved iPhone to a Galaxy, the larger screen, openness of Android and the Galaxy camera app all have me seriously considering ditching my iPhone for a Galaxy.

If/when you do, come back and tell us how it worked out for you.

• Reply 14 of 115
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Slick Android UI, nice! I especially like the text butting up against the edge of the screen.

Both of the iOS-to-Android switchers will appreciate this.

P.S. People forget that the “openness” of Android is mainly for the benefit of carriers... and they are not your friend. Want an OS where the carriers and handset makers have the “freedom” to deny you software updates? Android is for you!

Meanwhile, what can you do with “open” Android that you can’t do equally well on iOS? Make that list and then compare to another list: what can you do with iOS that you can’t do equally well with Android? (You’ll have to define “well” quite unusually if you plan to switch to Android. App quality is just not the same.)

• Reply 15 of 115
    After using an iPhone for 2+ years, I switched to the Galaxy S2.
    It's a great phone and I'm glad I did. It does so much more than an iPhone.
    If you want to truly compare the two, take a Galaxy home with you. The stores will let you switch back to iPhone if you don't like it.
    Making the synch easier will remove an obstacle for a lot of people.. It's a good move. It was a concern of mine but it's really a non-issue, if you know what you are doing.
  • Reply 16 of 115
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

There are a lot of people who had 2 year iPhone 4 contracts that are now coming to an end. I know a few of these people and every one of them has bought either an HTC One X or a Samsung Galaxy S3. People want something fresh. iPhone 4S is not fresh for an iPhone 4 owner, so they are looking elsewhere.

Apple has made a critical error in being so conservative in its updates.

• Reply 17 of 115
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member

I'm always very suspicious of people who supposedly have every Apple device under the sun but say how they are so tempted by something else, especially when they bring up the "open" issue.

If you like open so much just jailbreak your iPhone and put anything you want on it (and maybe something you don't, like a virus...) Your choice.

• Reply 18 of 115
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member

Quote:

I'm always very suspicious of people who supposedly have every Apple device under the sun but say how they are so tempted by something else, especially when they bring up the "open" issue.

If you like open so much just jailbreak your iPhone and put anything you want on it (and maybe something you don't, like a virus...) Your choice.

• Reply 19 of 115

Quote:

bye...

• Reply 20 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

After using an iPhone for 2+ years, I switched to the Galaxy S2.

It's a great phone and I'm glad I did. It does so much more than an iPhone.

If you want to truly compare the two, take a Galaxy home with you. The stores will let you switch back to iPhone if you don't like it.

Making the synch easier will remove an obstacle for a lot of people.. It's a good move. It was a concern of mine but it's really a non-issue, if you know what you are doing.

bye...dont come back