Samsung's 'Easy Phone Sync' helps users switch from iOS to Galaxy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Well, I think that's a clever move by Samsung. Remember Apple's iPhone is a smartphone for people not smart enough to use Android. Samsung is attracting more sophisticated users who grew out of the Apple's lala land away - while the dumb users, a sizable majority among Apple customer base, will probably stay with Apple's iPhone for a while. 

I personally owned 3 iPhones until last December - now a happy Galaxy user. I don't see why I should switch back to that small 3.6" display smartphone anytime soon.

buh-bye... see ya 8^)

• Reply 22 of 115
    rayconraycon Posts: 33member

I love Apple's philosophy and ecosystem, despite occasional irritation.  I have a fantastic Samsung refrigerator, but the piece of crap Samsung air conditioner's compressor died after 6 years (with a replacement cost of $3000).  I'll continue to buy from both companies, but what truly amazes me is the way companies continue to do business with each other (Samsung supplying parts to Apple) with one hand, while donning the boxing glove on the other.

• Reply 23 of 115
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    I own two Samsung televisions, but I really cannot see myself buying another Samsung product. According to Samsung, I am a foolish sheep interested only in appearances. I don't give my money to companies that insult me.

Same here, have a big Samsung plasma that will be my last. Back to Panasonic for its replacement.
  • Reply 24 of 115
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Well, I think that's a clever move by Samsung. Remember Apple's iPhone is a smartphone for people not smart enough to use Android. Samsung is attracting more sophisticated users who grew out of the Apple's lala land away - while the dumb users, a sizable majority among Apple customer base, will probably stay with Apple's iPhone for a while. 

I personally owned 3 iPhones until last December - now a happy Galaxy user. I don't see why I should switch back to that small 3.6" display smartphone anytime soon.

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but I can't help it.  You do realize that your assertion that you have to be "smart" to use an Android device is an assertion that Android is an inferior platform, right?  The genius of the iOS platform is that it's a beautiful combination of simplicity and power.  Is DOS better than Windows because you have to be smart to remember all the cryptic commands?  Is the Apple I better than the iMac because you have to be smart to rig it up to a monitor?

Stupid argument.

But I'm sure we all appreciate knowing how smart and sophicaticated you are since you found the true path last December.  Thanks thanks for lurking around here to help us more feeble minded individuals see the light.

• Reply 25 of 115
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Slick Android UI, nice! I especially like the text butting up against the edge of the screen.

I was just going to say: is that seriously the default font and sizing for Android apps?  Ugly as ... looks like Windows 3.0

If they put so little effort into the look of it, it doesn't inspire confidence about the syncing side of things.

• Reply 26 of 115
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    After using an iPhone for 2+ years, I switched to the Galaxy S2.
    It's a great phone and I'm glad I did. It does so much more than an iPhone.
    If you want to truly compare the two, take a Galaxy home with you. The stores will let you switch back to iPhone if you don't like it.
    Making the synch easier will remove an obstacle for a lot of people.. It's a good move. It was a concern of mine but it's really a non-issue, if you know what you are doing.

Take a look at "Liz"'s post history. Wall to wall Galaxy touting and Apple bashing. Why is this probably paid shill (see Amazon Mechanical Turk crowd source jobs) allowed to post here? Go away–you have zero credibility.
  • Reply 27 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

There are a lot of people who had 2 year iPhone 4 contracts that are now coming to an end. I know a few of these people and every one of them has bought either an HTC One X or a Samsung Galaxy S3. People want something fresh. iPhone 4S is not fresh for an iPhone 4 owner, so they are looking elsewhere.

Apple has made a critical error in being so conservative in its updates.

It depends on what you consider conservative. The iPhone 4S has 2-3 times the CPU power and 7x the GPU power of the iPhone 4 which is a massive increase in performance in one generation. The performance difference between the Galaxy S2 and S3 for example is no where near as much. The iPhone 4S was missing an external redesign which is what people ended up focusing on. With Apple seeming to do major internal redesigns and major external redesigns on alternating years, the iPhone 5 may get a new form factor but only a marginal increase in performance which will no doubt be the new complaint. Admittedly I don't know whether a combined iterative improvement on both the internals and externals each year or an alternating major revamp of the internals and externals is a better strategy.

In the case of iPhone 4 owners switching, part of the issue is that Apple changed the regular launch schedule of the new iPhone from June/July to September/October. This means initial June 2010 iPhone 4 buyers are now coming off their 2 year contracts and to stay with iOS either have to wait 3 more months for the iPhone 5 or buy the nearing-replacement iPhone 4S, neither of which are ideal if you are looking for a timely upgrade, which makes switching away from iOS a more viable option.

• Reply 28 of 115
    starbirdstarbird Posts: 42member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Same here, have a big Samsung plasma that will be my last. Back to Panasonic for its replacement.

Same here. Heck, my wife's "feature" phone is a Samsung. Also her last. I think I finally got her willing to pay for data!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

buh-bye... see ya 8^)

Yup. I know that the stereotype (only held by Android fans) is that all iPhone users are stupid sheep, but the fact is? We are mostly people who are too busy living life to waste time on managing our phone/computers.  Apple products suit me perfectly. I work all day, I don't want to go home and fiddle with this, check the compatibility of that.

I want to know that the video I took on my iPhone can easily appear on my iPad or iMac. The pictures I took on my iPhone? Once I am on WiFi, my wife at home can pull out the iPad or iMac or Apple TV and see them. No configuration necessary. No "I wonder if this will work"

These items are meant to make the important things easier. Do their job, and GET OUT OF THE WAY.

And, for the most part? That is what Apple products do.

• Reply 29 of 115
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Wow a smartphone user who is too smart to use iPhone.

I wonder who is more dumb, one who use a dead end phone which is not upgradable like android or one whose phone can be upgradable all the time like an iPhone. 

• Reply 30 of 115
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

There are a lot of people who had 2 year iPhone 4 contracts that are now coming to an end. I know a few of these people and every one of them has bought either an HTC One X or a Samsung Galaxy S3. People want something fresh. iPhone 4S is not fresh for an iPhone 4 owner, so they are looking elsewhere.

Apple has made a critical error in being so conservative in its updates.

"I know a few people."

We all know a few people, LOL.  But personal anecdotes aside, we also know about Apple's retention rates. They're nothing to sneeze at. After all, Apple supposedly has a *cult* following. 4 million iPhone 4Ses sold in a single weekend. And it wasn't even really a new phone. Right? RIGHT??  After all, all the trolls said all it had was Siri. Nothing major. 

Fast-forward to Apple's last quarter. Even with the iPhone 4S, by then old news, they still managed to achieve the sales they did. 

Samsung, by the way: no cult. No lineups

So we both know where we can shove our personal anecdotes. My buddies and your buddies are *nothing* in the face of the larger market forces and the trends established by consumers en masse. 

And as for MS, they REALLY need a cult following:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1392359

Now you're learning the extent of Microsoft's outright lameness in consumer tech. Enjoy.  

• Reply 31 of 115
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

And if you have any trouble, you can just go to the Samsung Genius Bar.

...oh, wait.

• Reply 32 of 115
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but I can't help it.  You do realize that your assertion that you have to be "smart" to use an Android device is an assertion that Android is an inferior platform, right?  The genius of the iOS platform is that it's a beautiful combination of simplicity and power.  Is DOS better than Windows because you have to be smart to remember all the cryptic commands?  Is the Apple I better than the iMac because you have to be smart to rig it up to a monitor?

Stupid argument.

But I'm sure we all appreciate knowing how smart and sophicaticated you are since you found the true path last December.  Thanks thanks for lurking around here to help us more feeble minded individuals see the light.

TOOLTALK IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST TROLLS AROUND.  JUST IGNORE HIM.  OOPS MY CAPSLOCK.

• Reply 33 of 115
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Samsung is under the impression they can actually lure iPhone users, in a market situation where Apple's iPhone retention rates are sky-high. 

The only people Samsung is luring are other Android users, and the ones taking the big hit are the other Android OEMs.

Having said that, most Android users I know still use iTunes, so this program would be useful.

• Reply 34 of 115
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Fairly accurate, but I really think describing the iOS users as dumb and Android users as more sophisticated seems rather rude and inaccurate. Many iOS users probably are less technologically skilled, but that hardly makes them less intelligent.

• Reply 35 of 115
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member

Native Group Text.  That is all.

• Reply 36 of 115
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Remember Apple's iPhone is a smartphone for people not smart enough to use Android. 

The exact opposite is true. Android is a smartphone for people who are technically inept and people who are poor. The vast majority of Android users are using some junky, outdated version of Android on an already obsolete phone. Do these people even know what an OS is? I highly doubt that. Android users are also less likely to use certain features of their phone, such as web access. Android phones are attractive to people who have been using dumb phones for their entire life and people who just don't have a lot of money in their pockets. People who demand the best, such as myself, use iOS, which offers the most professional features targeted towards demanding users. 

Anybody who is smart already is on iOS. 

• Reply 37 of 115
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

Its like going from Formula 1 to Formula 2 ...

A tool made by tool...for tools.

• Reply 38 of 115
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Anyone have a screenshot of the OS X and Win apps?

2) While it's unlikely to seat iPhone users and looks to be a half arsed attempt as it doesn't look built-in I think Apple should be watching this closely because it is inching closer to the one thing Apple has have since the original iPod that has been the key to their ability to ease users onto and between devices: iTunes. Despite all the copying this is the one piece that seems to have been ignored except for poor versions that have rudimentary and incomplete syncing and backup capabilities.
  • Reply 39 of 115
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Samsung is under the impression they can actually lure iPhone users, in a market situation where Apple's iPhone retention rates are sky-high. 

The only people Samsung is luring are other Android users, and the ones taking the big hit are the other Android OEMs.

I hope Apple doesn't get that cocky; there are divergent needs afoot, and I am sure some people want a 3" screen as much as others want 5", and neither party will be satisfied by 4". It is a sad reason to leave the ecosystem, but if you factor it into your costs you may still come out ahead.
  • Reply 40 of 115
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    larrya wrote: »
    I might use this. No, not to switch to Android, but I wonder if it will transfer my iTunes media to my non-Apple MP3 player. I think the Droid model is similar to Win CE in that the destination (phone) appears as just another removable drive - same as my cheap and disposable RCA Perl player.

yes it does see it as another drive allowing one to directly install media onto the sd card, you can also use doubletwist, its very itunes-esque