Samsung's 'Easy Phone Sync' helps users switch from iOS to Galaxy

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    nagromme wrote: »

P.S. People forget that the “openness” of Android is mainly for the benefit of carriers... and they are not your friend. Want an OS where the carriers and handset makers have the “freedom” to deny you software updates? Android is for you!

This. Two years ago I switched from iPhone 3GS to an htc evo...not so much for android, but being a bit older and a trifocals wearer, I wanted to test if a bigger screen would be easier. It was...but here I am with a phone not quite 2 full years old (from actual release), and there will be no more os updates, to include ice cream sandwich. So top of the line android phone, no more updates. Please, apple, give us a decent size screen on next iPhone. BTW, those that think it takes a phd to run an android phone are clearly deluding themselves....
  • Reply 62 of 115
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    If you read the article you will see that it only transfers the non-DRMed content.
    Not a problem since the Galaxy will not play any content from iTunes containing DRM.
  • Reply 63 of 115
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

If the next iPhone doesn't hit at least 4" at a minimum, I will be using this app to transfer my iPhone 4s info to a new Samsung Galaxy SIII. I love everything about my iPhone except for the tiny screen. I switched from an Evo which had only a 4.3" and I really miss that screen. Even 4" is a tad small for my taste, but I could live with that, but 3.5" is just far too small. 

• Reply 64 of 115
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gwmac wrote: »
    If the next iPhone doesn't hit at least 4" at a minimum, I will be using this app to transfer my iPhone 4s info to a new Samsung Galaxy SIII. I love everything about my iPhone except for the tiny screen. I switched from an Evo which had only a 4.3" and I really miss that screen. Even 4" is a tad small for my taste, but I could live with that, but 3.5" is just far too small. 

Maybe the next iPad will be able to make calls too then you'd really be happy ... hehe
  • Reply 65 of 115
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

It's probably time for a little David Pogue interlude...

He makes some good observations.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/21/hate-mail-and-the-new-religious-wars-in-tech/

• Reply 66 of 115
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Slick Android UI, nice! I especially like the text butting up against the edge of the screen.

That's what I was going to say. That UI is hideous. If Google and Android OEMs want to take users from iOS then they urgently need to raise their designer:developer ratios. Whenever I see a piece of Android UI, it looks like it was designed carelessly and just not thought through.

• Reply 67 of 115
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    69ergoo wrote: »
    To get Apple users to switch to Galaxy, Sam-Sux must:

1. Get rid of the cheap plastic material and make the body of the phone look and feel expensive, like Apple.
    2. Make phone's user interface look more gorgeous, like Apple.
    3. Let users re-download previously purchased apps on any device, like Apple.

However, Sam-Sux only cares about bringing manufacturing costs down to increase their margin, the above three things will never happen. You can expect their upcoming Windows 8 phones to feel the same or worse than the current android devices because Sam-Sux will have to pay for the OS, driving their manufacturing costs even higher.

1. The iPhone 3G/3GS both had cheap plastic

2. Samsung's TouchWiz UI looks very much like iOS.

3.And all previously purchased apps automatically install themselves when the phone is activated.
  • Reply 68 of 115
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

edited away

• Reply 69 of 115
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Well, your username says it all !

Doesn't it just.

• Reply 70 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

HAHA! Like that's gonna be popular. It's a one way street to the Mac/IOS platform I'm afraid Samsung. The only new traffic you get are people too stupid to know any different (fresh from some crappy symbian phone).

My parents got iphones and then switched to android a while back so they could get back on the verizon network.  They hate their phones and are counting down the months to be able to get iphones again.

• Reply 71 of 115
    iOS / Mac is for people smart enough to use their intellect to get things done, vs. wasting it just getting things set up. The rest is nerd mantra.
  • Reply 72 of 115
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

So true. Just for kicks, I occasionally play with the latest Android smartphones and tablets at a local Best Buy and Staples. Even if the hardware show some promise, the software implementation simply kills it. Bloatware, nonsensical placement of UI and overall crap pretty much guarantees a puke session.

There is a saying that taste is acquired. Apparently, Android never acquired it. But what am I saying! These devices are produced by the same soulless PC vendors that hope you hate your current device so much that you will gladly upgrade to the new version of the same crap. Only to find out a month later that it still crap and a newer, shinier version that just came out. With that mindset, the consumer will always be screwed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWTSTA View Post

I did exactly the same about 8 months ago switching from my iPhone to Galaxy S2 n thought its will provide me not all but at least quite similar great experience as what on IOS device. Unfortunately that not all true as what I expected, It basically just a basic cheap phone with a large display plus a few gimmick e.g. Live wallpaper n some free apps with tons of ads that really annoyed me. Beside, the overall quality of hardware is sub standard in comparison to iPhone (guess because it cheaper) n I can't wait to get my hand on new iPhone again when it release some time in Sep or Oct.

• Reply 73 of 115
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

nothing to add.

• Reply 74 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Samsung is under the impression they can actually lure iPhone users, in a market situation where Apple's iPhone retention rates are sky-high. 

The only people Samsung is luring are other Android users, and the ones taking the big hit are the other Android OEMs.

I'm an iPhone user (since the 3) that is switching to the Galaxy III next week. I'm getting it for the 4G - something the iPhone should have had already. Perhaps I'll come back to the iPhone 5 or 6 if they've significantly improved their specs. Sure I like the Apple ecosystem - everyone in our house has iPads (all versions, 4 people), I use Macbooks and also an iMac, and am waiting for a refreshed Mac Pro. But, for some of us who use data a lot on the go, 4G has become a minimum standard. My iPhone 4 is a total dog on 3G.

In summary, here's a long-time iPhone user that is ditching to get the Galaxy simply to get network speed. I don't leave without knowing that the Android experience is junky even without iOS as a foil.
  • Reply 75 of 115

This syncs contacts but not calendar? Have I missed the calendar part? How could it access one but not the other?

I have and like to use multiple devices, on different platforms. If there were a way to sync iCloud data to these instead of Google contacts and calendar I would be a happy man, as it is I have to use Google services as it's the only cross platform solution.

• Reply 76 of 115
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    tylersdad wrote: »
    I had an iPhone 3GS and now an iPhone 4. My wife has an iPhone 4 and my son has the 4S. While this app on its own isn't enough to entice me to switch from my beloved iPhone to a Galaxy, the larger screen, openness of Android and the Galaxy camera app all have me seriously considering ditching my iPhone for a Galaxy.

I would not normally recommend IPhone. But, I am not sure moving to a Galaxy would work for you as you are surrounded by family members with iPhones. In my experience, bluetoothing between Apple and non-Apple did not work (maybe Apple blocked non-Apple). I can teather my Galaxy Nexus as a Wifi hotspot on 3g and use my IPad 2 (wifi version) on the go, but probably Apple 3g teathering is not comparable with non-Apple. I think, there would be some more comparability issues between Apple and non-Apple.

Maybe iPhone 5(6)? (of course only if it comes out with 4+inch screen)
  • Reply 77 of 115
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    gwmac wrote: »

The HTC One X has a faster quad core processor, higher resolution screen that doesn't skimp on the sub-pixels, beats audio and costs less.

HTC Sync also does the same thing minus Samsung's marketing hype i.e. promoting stories like the one this article is about.
  • Reply 78 of 115
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    hjb wrote: »
    ...but probably Apple 3g teathering [sic] is not comparable with non-Apple. I think, there would be some more comparability issues between Apple and non-Apple.

It works as a wifi hotspot, anything with wifi that can detect it and enter a password can use it.

I've done it with dozens of handsets and tablets.

(The screen size whine de jour, again, they seem to be hitting it hard, there mustn't be much left in the "Astroturfer's guide to iOS".)
  • Reply 79 of 115
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    [QUOTE]
    We know that traditionally iPhone users have been reluctant to switch to an Android device because they couldn't use iTunes to manage their content.
    [/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what's funnier about this. The fact that Samsung think that iPhone users even consider switching to Android, or that they think we enjoy using iTunes.
  • Reply 80 of 115
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Lizard View Post

Quote:

We know that traditionally iPhone users have been reluctant to switch to an Android device because they couldn't use iTunes to manage their content.

I'm not sure what's funnier about this. The fact that Samsung think that iPhone users even consider switching to Android, or that they think we enjoy using iTunes.

! LOL !