Nest Learning Thermostat reportedly taken off Apple Store shelves

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2014
The first product to come out of ex-Apple executive Tony Fadell's startup Nest, the Nest Learning Thermostat, has reportedly been quietly pulled from shelves at a number of brick-and-mortar Apple Stores for unknown reasons.

While it cannot be officially confirmed that Apple Stores have stopped selling the Nest thermostat altogether, AppleInsider contacted a random sampling of outlets and found that each had taken down its in-store display units.

Some employees, who wished to remain anonymous, said that they had been told to pull the item while others simply stated that they were out of stock. One location confirmed that the device was on site but had been locked away in a storage room for reasons unknown. The same store said it received no instructions beyond those to take the Nest off the sales floor.

At the time of this report the unit was still in stock and ready to ship on Apple's online store but curiously it was not available for in-store pickup. An Apple Store employee corroborated this information though had no further insight into the matter.

It is unclear why the thermostat was removed from the Apple Store, but a representative at a nearby location of Nest sales partner Lowe's said the big-box home improvement store received a new shipment on Thursday and plans to stock them on shelves within four to five days.

Nest
Apple's online store shows the Nest Learning Thermostat is "in stock" but not eligible for in-store pickup. | Source: Apple

The brainchild of Tony Fadell, also known as the "grandfather of the iPod," the $250 Nest Learning Thermostat uses sensors and an on-board CPU to efficiently control temperatures according to a variety of environmental factors. Users can also control the unit with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, all iPad models, and the third- and fourth-generation iPod touch.

The Nest is currently being sold under the "iPod accessories" category on Apple's online store and is listed as an "app-enabled accessory."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 231
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

I'm very concerned this may be the result of draconian Apple store policies.

• Reply 2 of 231
    owlboyowlboy Posts: 37member

I did not see one in the Madison, WI store today either. Wanted to take a peak at the box.

• Reply 3 of 231

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I'm very concerned this may be the result of draconian Apple store policies.

And which policy is that? The one you made up?

• Reply 4 of 231

This isn't an iOS app, it's a physical product at the retail stores.

• Reply 5 of 231
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    It cannot be because there is anything wrong with the Nest as such. I don't know how we ever lived without one, we love it. Maybe it is a just a stock issue but if it has been pulled perhaps it simply isn't a good fit. It is a home improvement product first and foremost and maybe Lowes is a better place for it. It is the easiest thing to install imaginable but we have to remember half the populations have an IQ of <100 and maybe there could be support issues not related the technology itself. You do have to remove the old one and deal with wires, spackel and paint not to mention a screw driver.
  • Reply 6 of 231

draconian means to set death as a punishment for even the most minor infractions of law. they removed items from their shelves.

• Reply 7 of 231
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosebreath View Post

draconian means to set death as a punishment for even the most minor infractions of law.

Not really. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/draconian

• Reply 8 of 231
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member

yes really

• Reply 9 of 231
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member

Screw Draco, he doesn't even exist. 

• Reply 10 of 231
    lawspudlawspud Posts: 1member
    Edited for content.
  • Reply 11 of 231
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Maybe it is a just a stock issue but if it has been pulled perhaps it simply isn't a good fit. It is a home improvement product first and foremost and maybe Lowes is a better place for it.

It's a home improvement product for sure. But it's also controllable via iOS devices.

The Nest would be a lot more visible in a tiny Apple store... than in a giant home improvement warehouse.

Plus... shoppers in an Apple Store would probably have more of an understanding about the whole iOS part of it. (though I'm not saying anything bad about the shoppers of Lowes)

I think it should be sold in both places... and I believe it will be a devastating blow if they can't sell them in Apple Stores anymore.
  • Reply 12 of 231
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member

It might looook cool, but it's just more wireless junk unnecessarily radiating your brain in your own home ... I need it like a tumour. No wireless in my house.

• Reply 13 of 231
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

It might looook cool, but it's just more wireless junk unnecessarily radiating your brain in your own home ... I need it like a tumour. No wireless in my house.

You don't need an app to use the thermostat. If you are worried about that, I assume you must not be using WiFi in your life or cell phones. 

• Reply 14 of 231

it's simple really, they're about to release the new Retina Nest Thermostat

• Reply 15 of 231
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

You don't need an app to use the thermostat. If you are worried about that, I assume you must not be using WiFi in your life or cell phones. 

Some people do, and they probably will be proven right in 30 years or so...

You know, 30 years ago, it was impossible that  plastics could have any effect on human health. It was absurd to even suggest it. Where are we now? Same situation.

• Reply 16 of 231
    It's a home improvement product for sure. But it's also controllable via iOS devices.
    The Nest would be a lot more visible in a tiny Apple store... than in a giant home improvement warehouse.
    Plus... shoppers in an Apple Store would probably have more of an understanding about the whole iOS part of it. (though I'm not saying anything bad about the shoppers of Lowes)
    I think it should be sold in both places... and I believe it will be a devastating blow if they can't sell them in Apple Stores anymore.

I agree but I was just offering a possible guess as to why, if it has been removed. That being that Apple might be getting calls about the wiring or wall repairs. As I said it is a wonderful device, a dream come true in fact. I want every household device I have like this and I hope the Nest guys have other products up their sleeves.

By the way it isn't lost at our Lowes, they have a large dedicated area for Nest complete with a demo and video monitor and a large graphical display. You can't miss it. It is the most visible product in the entire store. This stand alone area is dead center in the store too.
  • Reply 17 of 231
    wozwoz wrote: »

Haha good one. You are joking right?
  • Reply 18 of 231
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    I agree but I was just offering a possible guess as to why, if it has been removed. That being that Apple might be getting calls about the wiring or wall repairs. As I said it is a wonderful device, a dream come true in fact. I want every household device I have like this and I hope the Nest guys have other products up their sleeves.
    By the way it isn't lost at our Lowes, they have a large dedicated area for Nest complete with a demo and video monitor and a large graphical display. You can't miss it. It is the most visible product in the entire store. This stand alone area is dead center in the store too.

Yeah... I wanna know why too.

I hope there's more to this story.
  • Reply 19 of 231

I wonder if this an issue with identity. You go to an Apple Store for thermostats like you go to Home Depot for iPhones.
  • Reply 20 of 231
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It cannot be because there is anything wrong with the Nest as such. I don't know how we ever lived without one, we love it. Maybe it is a just a stock issue but if it has been pulled perhaps it simply isn't a good fit. It is a home improvement product first and foremost and maybe Lowes is a better place for it. It is the easiest thing to install imaginable but we have to remember half the populations have an IQ of <100 and maybe there could be support issues not related the technology itself. You do have to remove the old one and deal with wires, spackel and paint not to mention a screw driver.

"I don't know how we ever lived without one,"

Funny, this guy I met in Africa said the same about running water!