Nest Learning Thermostat reportedly taken off Apple Store shelves

Comments

• Reply 21 of 231
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Purchased a Nest thermostat but had to return it because I couldn't get it to work properly with my building's HVAC system. It would either blow hot air or lukewarm air but never cold, even after changing the wiring five times per the advice of their phone support team. The product is slick and comes with clear instructions and great phone support, but it just didn't work for me, and I live in a 3 year old building so it's not a matter of dealing with outdated technology.

Perhaps the Nest isn't as widely compatible as originally thought and Apple had to take it off the shelves after receiving complaints? I always wondered if the limited availability of the Nest enabled the company to keep complaints out of the public eye...

• Reply 22 of 231
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Well I love domotics but a $250 thermostat is just a ridiculous price to start with...

• Reply 23 of 231
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    wozwoz wrote: »
    It might looook cool, but it's just more wireless junk unnecessarily radiating your brain in your own home ... I need it like a tumour. No wireless in my house.

Someone has been forgetting to wear his tinfoil hat ...

Better stay out of hospitals and medical offices, too, because most of them have WiFi these days.
  • Reply 24 of 231

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Purchased a Nest thermostat but had to return it because I couldn't get it to work properly with my building's HVAC system. It would either blow hot air or lukewarm air but never cold, even after changing the wiring five times per the advice of their phone support team. The product is slick and comes with clear instructions and great phone support, but it just didn't work for me, and I live in a 3 year old building so it's not a matter of dealing with outdated technology.

This was one of the many reasons I've seen in reading reviews online from various sources why the Nest is an iffy purchase.  It seems to have some bugs (either with the device or the user themself) that need to be worked out despite its ease of install and use.

• Reply 25 of 231
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    sensi wrote: »
    Well I love domotics but a $250 thermostat is just a ridiculous price to start with...

It depends on the outcome. I have two Nests handling the upstairs and downstairs zones of the house. At the rate I'm calculating our monthly energy savings, the two units will pay for themselves easily in 14 months of use and it might happen in 12. This is ahead of the 18 months I originally calculated when we bought them.
  • Reply 26 of 231
    superdxsuperdx Posts: 67member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wozwoz View Post

It might looook cool, but it's just more wireless junk unnecessarily radiating your brain in your own home ... I need it like a tumour. No wireless in my house.

You know TV, radio and this new fangled thing called mobile phones are also wireless. They're also a lot stronger. 

FM radio: 100,000 W

3G: 2W

WiFi: 0.2W

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm

I think you should upgrade your tin foil hat. Try 3 in. of lead. I hear it is heavy but you definitely won't get tumours.

• Reply 27 of 231
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

It depends on the outcome. I have two Nests handling the upstairs and downstairs zones of the house. At the rate I'm calculating our monthly energy savings, the two units will pay for themselves easily in 14 months of use and it might happen in 12. This is ahead of the 18 months I originally calculated when we bought them.

Hopefully it will serves you well then.  :)

• Reply 28 of 231
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Isn't it obvious? Apple is doomed.

After all, every little thing that happens is important news and is an indication that Apple has no future. Removing the Nest Thermostats is just the first step of removing everything from the shelves at Apple Stores. They probably need all that space for the Genius bar since Apple products are such crap and fail all the time.

/s
  • Reply 29 of 231
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

You don't need an app to use the thermostat. If you are worried about that, I assume you must not be using WiFi in your life or cell phones. 

Sorry a $250 thermostat? No matter how "cool" it's still a programmable thermostat. My top of the line wired thermo controls fans, heat, cooling programmable for each of seven days? I mean, come on now. Is this a real product with a real need excepting those that need a non-Apple Apple product?

• Reply 30 of 231
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member

What type of monitor do you use?  Oh, and the computer is probably putting out more noise.  And then there's the sun, its the same, just less organized.

• Reply 31 of 231
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yeah... I wanna know why too.

I hope there's more to this story.

If I was going to guess,  I imagine it has to do with the standard return policy in the stores, and how they could even begin to test the device upon return.  It is a great product IMO (I have two of them). But it would be very difficult for the in-store staff (geniuses) to deal with the plethora of installation related questions.  Think of how difficult it would be just to train the floor staff how to answer basic questions about the device. The questionnaire and installation instructions on the nest.com website are vastly superior. No disrespect to anyone, but HVAC is not what they are there to do.  

I was a bit suprised hearing it would be available in the Apple stores. It probably detracted from the "retail experience"

• Reply 32 of 231
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    There are many app-enabled accessories that are in the online store (inc. Nest) but not necessarily stocked at the retail stores - see:

[URL=http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/app_enabled]http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/app_enabled[/URL]

Story sounds like FUD to me.
  • Reply 33 of 231
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Someone has been forgetting to wear his tinfoil hat ...

Better stay out of hospitals and medical offices, too, because most of them have WiFi these days.

... and what's wrong with my hat??!!

I think it looks nice!

• Reply 34 of 231
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    dcgoo wrote: »
    If I was going to guess,  I imagine it has to do with the standard return policy in the stores, and how they could even begin to test the device upon return.  It is a great product IMO (I have two of them). But it would be very difficult for the in-store staff (geniuses) to deal with the plethora of installation related questions.  Think of how difficult it would be just to train the floor staff how to answer basic questions about the device. The questionnaire and installation instructions on the nest.com website are vastly superior. No disrespect to anyone, but HVAC is not what they are there to do.  

I was a bit suprised hearing it would be available in the Apple stores. It probably detracted from the "retail experience"

Good point.

Just curious... do Apple geniuses have to answer questions about other non-Apple stuff?

Apple Stores carry all sorts of speaker docks and other gadgets and gizmos.
  • Reply 35 of 231
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    [quote name="foljs" url="/t/150865/nest-learning-thermostat-reportedly-taken-off-apple-store-shelves#post_2133038"]
    "I don't know how we ever lived without one,"

[FONT='lucida grande'][COLOR=181818]Funny, this guy I met in Africa said the same about running water!
    [/COLOR][/

Living alone, stranded on a deserted island might be prefable to life in prison ... All your comment shows is all things are relative.
  • Reply 36 of 231
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Who cares? It's probably just an argument with Nest :D

• Reply 37 of 231
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadkingclassic View Post

This was one of the many reasons I've seen in reading reviews online from various sources why the Nest is an iffy purchase.  It seems to have some bugs (either with the device or the user themself) that need to be worked out despite its ease of install and use.

I assure you three were no bugs with the user in my case. ;-)

I even emailed the support rep pictures of how my old thermostat was wired vs how I had wired the Nest. it was setup precisely according to their instructions. They lead me to flip some of the wires claiming that sometimes contractors use the wrong color wire. Didn't help.

And I know I didn't have a defective unit, because I had the opportunity to test two more units. This is because actually ordered several with the intention of selling the extra units on ebay for a nice profit (since these were on backorder at the time and were selling for a premium on ebay.)

I sense that these are effortless to set up for HVAC systems that are compatible, but that Nest has failed to identify certain configurations that aren't compatible with either their hardware, software or both - at least as currently designed.

Unless I was a one out of a thousand exception, I would think they'd want to send out technicians to investigate some of these incompatible setups, so they could learn from these and improve their product...

BTW, I would never call this an "iffy purchase". Nest's customer service was impeccable, available after normal hours, and they graciously refunded both my purchase and shipping costs in full.

• Reply 38 of 231
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    superdx wrote: »
    You know TV, radio and this new fangled thing called mobile phones are also wireless. They're also a lot stronger. 

FM radio: 100,000 W
    3G: 2W
    WiFi: 0.2W

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm

I think you should upgrade your tin foil hat. Try 3 in. of lead. I hear it is heavy but you definitely won't get tumours.

He’s one tinfoil hat away from rubber room anyway. I say don’t bother.
  • Reply 39 of 231
    I suggest this may be as simple realizing the real estate (space) in an Apple store is very valuable and should be allocated to products with high demand and turnover.
  • Reply 40 of 231
    Wow this dude is paranoid. Only the router gives off a wireless signal. Everything else receives it. You get more radiation per by going through the checkpoints at a airport.