Apple's new iOS 6 Maps to feature built-in Yelp check-ins

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's newly redesigned Maps application in iOS 6 will feature built-in support for users to check in with the social service Yelp, according to a new report.

Citing materials distributed to Apple software developers, Bloomberg reported on Monday that users will be able to post information to Yelp without exiting the Maps application and opening separate software. The documents provided to developers include screenshots of Yelp check-ins within the Apple Maps application.

When Apple unveiled its new Maps application earlier this month, it noted that integrated support for Yelp will be a part of the software. But Apple's information detailed user reviews on Yelp, and did not reveal that further support for other features on the service, like check-ins, will also be integrated.

Monday's report speculates that integration with Apple Maps could allow Yelp's check-in functionality challenge similar services offered by Foursquare and Facebook. Using the GPS on a smartphone, these services allow users to share their current location with other approved friends.

The new Maps application in iOS 6 is a major change, as Apple is abandoning Google's own mapping service for its own in-house solution. The all-new application has been built from the ground up by Apple and includes built-in turn-by-turn navigation, and anonymous, real-time, crowd-sourced traffic data.

Maps 1

Maps in iOS 6 also include new 3D mapping technology that Apple has dubbed "Flyover." It recreates cities and buildings in an interactive, three-dimensional layout.

The new Maps application also includes Siri integration, allowing users to ask for directions and offer estimated arrival times.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Just used the new maps to post a review to a local coffee shop. The new maps rock!
  • Reply 2 of 47
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Siri integration with maps will be SWEET!
  • Reply 3 of 47
    ryukryuk Posts: 29member
    All I really care about is it going to feature nyc transit info like google maps
  • Reply 4 of 47
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Sorry Apple, but Yelp check-ins and some nifty 3d fly-overs in a handful of locations won't be sufficient to induce me to use an inferior map product. Like Microsoft with Bing Search, it will take countless years of heavy investment with substantial improvements to minimally approach the Google map standard. If the reason for doing maps is to give Google the middle finger over Android, it's probably not a good foundation for building a great product.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Maps in iOS 6 also include new 3D mapping technology that Apple has dubbed "Flyover."

But what about Street View, pushed as a major feature in 3.0?

Arguably implemented better than any Google interface for the same data.

Nice knowing you stalker-vision, destination-preview, out-of-date-pictures-of-my-house machine. I know I will never use a Google version :-(

• Reply 6 of 47
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

… If the reason for doing maps is to give Google the middle finger over Android, it's probably not a good foundation for building a great product.

Really?

Really!

Own the software you sell, isn´t that Apple mantra?

• Reply 7 of 47
    downpourdownpour Posts: 37member

Will anything like this work in the UK?

Using US only services seems a little odd with what is supposed to be an international device. 

• Reply 8 of 47
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    markbyrn wrote: »
    Sorry Apple, but Yelp check-ins and some nifty 3d fly-overs in a handful of locations won't be sufficient to induce me to use an inferior map product. Like Microsoft with Bing Search, it will take countless years of heavy investment with substantial improvements to minimally approach the Google map standard. If the reason for doing maps is to give Google the middle finger over Android, it's probably not a good foundation for building a great product.

Apple didn't spend hundreds of millions investing in maps just give Google the middle finger.. Apple has the money to buy the resource it needs to build up their maps solution up to par faster than when Google first started their mapping solution a decade ago.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    markbyrn wrote: »

I'm curious how you managed to reach the conclusion that it's an inferior product. It won't even be released for months, so you're using a beta, at best - and maybe not even that.

So please be specific. In exactly what way is the Apple Maps app inferior to Google's solution and how many people will even notice the difference?
  • Reply 10 of 47
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    If it doesn't have street view then it will be a downgrade in capability.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    lerxt wrote: »
    If it doesn't have street view then it will be a downgrade in capability.

Never mind the rest of the system, which is an upgrade in capability.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    downpour wrote: »
    Will anything like this work in the UK?

Using US only services seems a little odd with what is supposed to be an international device. 

You should be pleasantly surprised. Upon reading your remark I did some tests for London, England.

The following queries were handled with aplomb:

A couple of notes. I needed to say "London, England" as there is a city relatively near my current location sharing the name.

Me: "I am looking for McDonald's in London, England."
    Siri: "Here are 15 McDonald's in London, England."
    Me: "Show me Big Ben in London, England."
    Siri: "Here is Big Ben in London, England."
    Me: "I would like a great Italian restaurant in London, England"
    Siri: "Here are 15 Italian restaurants in London, England"
    Me: "Show me landmarks in Manchester, England."
    Siri: "This historic site in in Manchester, England."
    Me: "Show me gas stations in Glasgow, Scotland."
    Siri: "I found six gas stations ... five of them are in Glasgow, Scotland."
  • Reply 13 of 47
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Right. Because only a company who's sole purpose in life is to sell me as a product can make a map.

Wantto know what would be WAY more useful to me in a strange city than a too-close street-view that does nothing but confirm that this is indeed the place (were I lucky enough to find it)? A birds eye-view, 3-D view that gives me my bearings with landmarks.

BTW, wasn't it the same people a few years back bemoaning Apple AND Google Maps inferiority to Tom Tom? And now Tom Tom is behind the new Apple Maps and navigation? (crickets chirping)

• Reply 14 of 47

So far I've really enjoyed the new Maps app but one thing I've noticed is the Maps app now has far less points of interests. Things I used to look up in Google are nowhere to be found with Yelp and the other way points.

I've also found Maps has a hard time understand that when I type in something, I am more than likely searching for something near by. Unless I put the city and state in the search bar, Maps often times looks across the globe for my waypoint.

It's off to a good start but I'm afraid they'll have a hard time catching up to Google in terms of points of interest.

• Reply 15 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryuk View Post

All I really care about is it going to feature nyc transit info like google maps

Some guy stops a typical New Yorker and asks:  "cross-town busses run all night?".

The New Yorker answers: "Doo-Dah, Doo-Dah".

• Reply 16 of 47

My guess is that Yelp has a much larger active user base than Google+ ever will.

Good move.

• Reply 17 of 47
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

Yeaaaa, so the 6 people that actually use Yelp check in will not feel left out.  Snore.

• Reply 18 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Apple didn't spend hundreds of millions investing in maps just give Google the middle finger.. Apple has the money to buy the resource it needs to build up their maps solution up to par faster than when Google first started their mapping solution a decade ago.

Apple's mapping solution has much greater potential than just using maps for directions or 3D Flyovers.

When Apple purchased PlaceBase (including PushPin), they got:

1) Access to map data

2) Mapping algorithms

3) Access to detailed demographic data

4) A Scripting Language that allows you to overlay demographics on maps

This will enable some virtual reality apps -- but much much more...

Think of the ability to call up a map showing areas delimited by, say:

-- household income

-- own or rent

-- political affiliation

-- ethnicity

-- average age

-- highest school level attained

-- number of cars

-- number of children

-- union affiliation

-- number and type of computers

-- number and type of phones

-- number and type of tablets

...and a lot more.

Think of how marketing, advertising and political organizations could use this to plan and execute a campaign.

I can envision this capability being incorporated into Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

There used to be some web sites with examples and some videos -- but it look like they've been taken down.

Search for placebase or pushpin.

Edit:  Here's a site where you can dynamically create some demographic maps -- the site uses the PlaceBase PushPin software.

http://www.policymap.com/maps

Edit 2: Here are a couple of videos -- not the greatest demos, but the give you an idea of the PushPin capabilities:

• Reply 19 of 47
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

My guess is that Yelp has a much larger active user base than Google+ ever will.

Good move.

Not as active as foursquare which is integrated with Google maps.

• Reply 20 of 47
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    So far I've really enjoyed the new Maps app but one thing I've noticed is the Maps app now has far less points of interests. Things I used to look up in Google are nowhere to be found with Yelp and the other way points.

I've also found Maps has a hard time understand that when I type in something, I am more than likely searching for something near by. Unless I put the city and state in the search bar, Maps often times looks across the globe for my waypoint.

It's off to a good start but I'm afraid they'll have a hard time catching up to Google in terms of points of interest.

Interesting.

My experience is quite the opposite.

The local search database is reasonably large but does need more businesses. In fact, according to Bloomberg, Apple Maps may already have more business listings than Google.

When performing search, my searches are typically hyper local. If, for example, I ask for a McDonald's in London I receive results for a nearby city named London rather than London, England. Of course, if you are viewing London, England in Maps then perform a typed search for McDonalds you will see McDonald's in London, England. Additionally, the results window shows a definite preference for locations in your contacts. The more information you provide search the better the search results will be. If you know you are looking for a location that is in a specific (but not very nearby) city then include the name of the city in your search and results will be vastly improved.